player memorials

Comments

• These memorials where something unique, one aspect of our games history. I figured only today that the memorial for one of our deceased friends, for which several players donated deco elements from whispering roses up to a singing ball went away.
    Figure me as upset.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    The locations of the memorials were usually where the person spent a lot of time. I will take old friends memorials over this new BAD idea any day.  Following the Bad idea logic all of the Historical House banners should be removed, all of the player town markers should go, all of the years to decades old event left overs should be removed.  Those God Awful houses in the Brit Fields should go no matter what. Just make it a nice sterile, compartmentalized game!

Just can't see how removing these memorials in out of the way places makes UO a better place.

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,022
    Mesanna says so but stuff she made like private docks for her friends that's fine...
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Grimbeard said:
    Mesanna says so but stuff she made like private docks for her friends that's fine...

Being in the Mesanna Clique is a whole different issue......
    Tyrath said:
    Grimbeard said:

Being in the Mesanna Clique is a whole different issue......
    Agreed 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “You can call a gm to get memorial moved to the correct location, the GM will email an EM for you”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 642
    edited February 2023
    While some people don't care about a shard's history or it's players, most do. Player Memorials were something wonderful that the Dev Team made happen. It was an emotionally caring and compassion act on their part as well as unique as far as I know. This was one of the many things that set UO apart. The Dev Team recognized and allowed the EMs to build the memorials for the deceased with the items their loved ones gathered ingame, many of the items were special to the deceased or special to the loved ones. If you've been to the actual building of one or participated in the designing of one or had one built for someone that you cared for greatly, you fully understand what that memorial means on an emotional level. The people behind the keyboard will tell you it's no different ingame or irl. After 25 years playing UO many of the players are more like family to me than some of my rl family. Humans are emotional creatures and the death of a loved one is something that is deeply felt for a long, long time.

I could understand if an announcement was made that there would be changes for future memorials but the ones that were already in place should have been left. EM's can put on their big girl panties if a memorial interferes with an event. Frankly I can't even think of a memorial that would create an issue like that.

To have gone back on their word on something so heartbreaking just makes me scratch my head and wonder what the hell is up. To have dug up the graves of beloved players who have past and tossed their memorials in the trash shows a great lack of respect for the deceased as well as the loved ones. This is what their actions amounts to. In trying to wrap my head around this, why would she do this, the only thing I can come up with that makes any sense is that maybe one of the players she actually listens to and respects bitched about it. She needs to broaden her advisory team.

And yeah, for future reference... When I'm out of rez's I want a pair of legs laying on the ground sticking out from underneath the Moonglow's Governor office. Just saying...

• For what it's worth ... when a long time Great Lakes player passed two years ago, his family contacted us after the memorial dedication in game to thank us for caring so much. His daughter said very kind and emotional words about what Ultima Online and his friends in-game meant to her to father, and she felt he would have loved how much we cared for him in return to create a memorial for him.

And then it got desecrated.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • vortexvortex Posts: 202
    I remember that memorial on great lakes... Miss seeing them on my travels.
    edited February 2023
    " I disagree with Amberwitch
    I think we should honor the dead and allow all passed members memorials to be moved to the new better upgraded official memorial regardless of when they passed"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Problems were, in my opinion, the memorials were not moved, they were trashed, the dead were not honored by this action and the ugly wall is in a ugly hidden area with ugly purple deco.
    edited February 2023
    "the dev team went to the effort of creating a beautiful official permanent memorial, which they did not have to do, and you're basically trash talking it."
    Yoshi said:
    "the dev team went to the effort of creating a beautiful official permanent memorial, which they did not have to do, and you're basically trash talking it."
    Why destroy things that were already there i saw not a single complaint about players memorials once again the team decides what's best with 0 input from player base yet I've emailed Mesanna with locations of private docks which should be deleted or one given to everyone 
  • Yoshi said:
    Please, let's be civil and adult like. I don't think anything I've said is untrue. I expressed it in civil terms. Please criticize the idea, not the person expressing the idea.

edited February 2023
    “The important thing, IE the text
    is copy pasted to a new smarter memorial, that is more accessible

It’s not about you,
    you accusing them of digging up the graves 

when what they have done is something nice. And you say shows a lack of respect, 
    it’s you who show lack of respect for the hard work they put into the new smarter memorial.

People who have had their loved ones memorial moved, you’re basically making them feel bad now by such statement.

also you say someone “bitched” about them and “EMs can put on their big girl panties” , no need to disrespect women, they are both sexist remarks regardless of context. If I said that I would insta be perma banned”

•  For me it's all about the actions of removing memorials that people worked so hard to place. Do I like the design of the new memorial wall? It's fine and works well for a Veteran's memorial irl. Do I like it as something to replace what was agreed to and was done before it? No. That's my opinion of it. I have been a cheerleader for the team on most anything. This was just bad form in my opinion.

Again, you've gone from discussing the idea to discussing words in the post and poster. I've expressed my opinion about the removal of player made memorials in the words that I feel best express my opinion.

If you want to nitpick words out of my sentences have at it. You can further word smith and spin as you like.  I'm just your average 104 year old female witch who cares about the people who play the game and the people who make this game. Have fun with that.

“While well intended, some of the previous memorials like the pic Tyrath posted are a real eyesore and inappropriate as a memorial. You would not get permission irl to place such things in a graveyard irl”
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,096
    edited February 2023
    Yoshi said:
    “While well intended, some of the previous memorials like the pic Tyrath posted are a real eyesore and inappropriate as a memorial. You would not get permission irl to place such things in a graveyard irl”
    Really,  it looks like it was taken from a RL example.

They do not allow flowers, gravestones or statues where you are from? Do a search for horses or animals and you will find those also.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2023
    It would be so "ULTIMA ONLINE" to run around in the open world and stumble upon a player memorial designed by real players, specially for another Ultima Online Player. 

Who on earth will go out of the way to visit that recently created, "memorials" in a hidden unknown place unless they know the person - even so what do they see? Black boards that all look the same. OMG.

It looks like Mesanna wants to chuck or hide them in one corner so no one will see or stumble on them!

The objective of the Dev team is to clean the entire world to zero state as if no one was there in the past 25 years. IDOC rules etc make sure all shards will be as clean as a fresh installation when no one else is playing UO.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Since the Magincia gardens aren't used that would have made a lovely area to create new memorials. Granted, I haven't checked all shards but I'd venture a guess that most are not being used as intended. It's not hidden in some dark, dank dungeon area.
  • I am very pleased to see these memorials moved to a new location. they still don't belong in the game but having their own separate area is a fair compromise. It is refreshing to see the development team acknowledge player feedback 
  • Where is this memorial area?

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,096
    Archangel said:
    Where is this memorial area?

Brit Graveyard has the wall to enter.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited February 2023
    Have seen multiple memorials across all servers either partially or completely removed now, and are NOT found in the new memorial area. The large majority of these memorials that were purged from existence are ones that weren't obstructing anyone's path through the world, and weren't preventing house placement issues. Which was I believe the original reason for creating this new memorial area. A flawed system to say the least, when it would have been much easier to simply re-locate any pre-existing memorials that met such criteria.

Memorializing the people who have passed but contributed the most significant currency we as human beings have to offer, our time, to this game should not be mishandled as badly is it's being. We have leftover EM placed deco and object that exist in the world obstructing house placements, and things like clickable podiums that allow someone to attack a player, then use the item to safely transport themselves to Luna without regard for the flagging system, outside of their HOUSES. Yet somehow those are all acceptable, while somewhere along the lines memorializing our friends, family, even enemies, somewhere most significant to their memory has become unacceptable.
    gay said:
    We have leftover EM placed deco and object that exist in the world obstructing house placements, and things like clickable podiums that allow someone to attack a player, then use the item to safely transport themselves to Luna without regard for the flagging system, outside of their HOUSES. Yet somehow those are all acceptable
    “Someone reported this to me I said I’ll deal with it this week”
  • Im glad they are gone. Just wanted to post that cause most posting are not happy about it.
    gay said: We have leftover EM placed deco and object that exist in the world obstructing house placements, and things like clickable podiums that allow someone to attack a player, then use the item to safely transport themselves to Luna without regard for the flagging system, outside of their HOUSES. Yet somehow those are all acceptable

"This has now been fixed, podium deactivated"
  • Pawain said:
    Archangel said:

Thanks!  :) 
  • Archangel said:
    Pawain said:
    Archangel said:

Thanks!  :) 
    Should be in any graveyard.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Arnold7 said:
    Yes only other gamers can understand why adults play a game like this one.  Was pleasantly surprised to find other older adults my age playing this game. Thought for a long time though.  I was the only older adult that played these kinds of games.  Certainly no one I know in real life admits to playing them.  We are the target audience.  UO might realize that.  It is hard to say.  But think UO should realize that the player memorials, bank decorations and other elements that make each shard unique are part of the game’s culture and should stay.
    I am just now the age of my parents when we all started playing UO 25 years ago.

Aside from being Ultima junkies we started UO to be "together" although the family was scattered across the US.

Additionally, my sister, her oldest daughter about 13 years old at that time and my brother played as well as a few "real life friends."

UO friends and guildmates became valuable people in our lives. We had in person guild get-together with people flying from all over the country to attend.

So UO itself was more than just a game and the "game" was valuable in our lives.
    Many of us paid for other's accounts to keep them going through the years and when the final day(s) any mate would no longer be playing it was a sad time.

The toughest were the passings of "active players" and those with no account survivorship.
    It's a horrible feeling for the duration of time till their home idoc'd.

I was fortunate enough to be able to make a memorial for a friend with his vendor that stands on my patio but for the most part my brain holds the memorials for all through memory of our UO and in person times.