player memorials

Seems these are being moved already. We are missing some on napa.

Take photos from your shards now, they will be gone soon :'(

Comments

  • Norry said:
    Seems these are being moved already. We are missing some on napa.

    Take photos from your shards now, they will be gone soon :'(
    i recommend emailing not only mesanne but her boss ..
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 950
    edited November 2022
    Yes it's sad to see them removed, but it saves a lot of hassle in the future. Everyone will have streamlined memorial stones (Possibly a book?)  and just like a cemetery we can visit everyone in one place.

    No reason to get panties in a bunch, just take pictures and cherish the memories.

    Also you should take a look inside the memorial area if you haven't. It's really pretty.

  • NorryNorry Posts: 505
    I have, napas was empty.
  • Larisa said:
    Yes it's sad to see them removed, but it saves a lot of hassle in the future. Everyone will have streamlined memorial stones (Possibly a book?)  and just like a cemetery we can visit everyone in one place.

    No reason to get panties in a bunch, just take pictures and cherish the memories.

    Also you should take a look inside the memorial area if you haven't. It's really pretty.
    The history and permanency is what makes UO  uo ...you cant keep erasing it especially based on one person's whims...
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 950


    It didn't look like this on Test or when it first went live. They have been working on decorating it and making it look nice.  I thought  there were going to be memorial stones in here, I guess it's going to be like the Memorial Wall were people's names are written on it. 



  • UrgeUrge Posts: 961
    Really wish they'd put grass instead of that starlight stuff. 
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 950
    Yes I agree grass would look much better.

  • "One of the most poetic facts I know about the universe is that essentially every atom in your body was once inside a star that exploded. Moreover, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than did those in your right. We are all, literally, star children, and our bodies made of stardust." — Lawrence M. Krauss
    -Arroth
  • PawainPawain Posts: 7,076
    How do you read the names?

  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 962
    ???.  Don’t really understand the rational of removing these. Does not make sense after having allowed them for so many years.  UO is not a game traditional role playing game with an evil character like Zelda’s Ganondorf.  It’s just players.  It’s like real life.  Players have houses, transportation, bank accounts, and free will to do whatever they want.  Players are not forced to follow a particular path the way they would be in a game like Zelda.  Most players have been around for years and these memorials are important to them.  In a controlled game in which players all have a uniform goal, like defeating Ganondorf, uniformity is expected.  UO is not a game like Zelda.  That kind of uniformity does not belong here.  Some decisions, like who has access to shard shields, need to be revisited but this was not one of those.

    UO has all the elements it needs to succeed but does not know how to put them together.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 950
    Pawain said:
    How do you read the names?

    I don't think there are any right now? I am hoping that once they remove them all they will add the names to the wall somehow? I am unsure how the whole thing works, they really didn't tell us much about it.

  • Larisa said:
    Pawain said:
    How do you read the names?

    I don't think there are any right now? I am hoping that once they remove them all they will add the names to the wall somehow? I am unsure how the whole thing works, they really didn't tell us much about it.
    We can't fix decades old bugs but trust us to delete and move your loved ones grave..so pathetic 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 7,076
    edited November 2022
    I really have no opinion on the topic of keeping player memorials that are in the game.  But, they should not delete stuff before putting the info on the memorial wall.   I thought that someone said that some info was on a memorial wall.

    I still cant figure out how to read the walls.

    If you do care about a deceased player you could name a Constellation after them, where it will be permanent. 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,275
    My wife has never cared for the fact that I've played this game for over 20 yrs, she would be soooooo pissed if I passed, and there was some kind of memorial for me lol....
    You and Several Others like this.


    Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. (ignore this request, the Devs have)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 7,076
    My wife has never cared for the fact that I've played this game for over 20 yrs, she would be soooooo pissed if I passed, and there was some kind of memorial for me lol....
    That is kinda my reasoning.  Nobody here would know that I died.  Nobody here knows my name none of my friends or family know what UO is. 

    But we are not everyone, so memorials are for those people.  Whether they stay or go should not be determined by me.  I do have a Player memorial in my house that I made for a passed player. Also have a table with my favorite current players sitting around it, that are dressed like them.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,647
    Pawain said:
    My wife has never cared for the fact that I've played this game for over 20 yrs, she would be soooooo pissed if I passed, and there was some kind of memorial for me lol....
    That is kinda my reasoning.  Nobody here would know that I died.  Nobody here knows my name none of my friends or family know what UO is. 

    But we are not everyone, so memorials are for those people.  Whether they stay or go should not be determined by me.  I do have a Player memorial in my house that I made for a passed player. Also have a table with my favorite current players sitting around it, that are dressed like them.
    I'm pretty sure when we didn't see you post after 2 days without you saying you were going on a cruise we would know something happened. That doesn't mean anyone would ask for a memorial but people would at least have an idea. 
  • My wife has never cared for the fact that I've played this game for over 20 yrs, she would be soooooo pissed if I passed, and there was some kind of memorial for me lol....
    I'll make sure it happens then. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

    Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 962
    edited November 2022
    Yes only other gamers can understand why adults play a game like this one.  Was pleasantly surprised to find other older adults my age playing this game. Thought for a long time though.  I was the only older adult that played these kinds of games.  Certainly no one I know in real life admits to playing them.  We are the target audience.  UO might realize that.  It is hard to say.  But think UO should realize that the player memorials, bank decorations and other elements that make each shard unique are part of the game’s culture and should stay.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 7,076
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:
    My wife has never cared for the fact that I've played this game for over 20 yrs, she would be soooooo pissed if I passed, and there was some kind of memorial for me lol....
    That is kinda my reasoning.  Nobody here would know that I died.  Nobody here knows my name none of my friends or family know what UO is. 

    But we are not everyone, so memorials are for those people.  Whether they stay or go should not be determined by me.  I do have a Player memorial in my house that I made for a passed player. Also have a table with my favorite current players sitting around it, that are dressed like them.
    I'm pretty sure when we didn't see you post after 2 days without you saying you were going on a cruise we would know something happened. That doesn't mean anyone would ask for a memorial but people would at least have an idea. 
    10 day Panama canal cruise Nov 28th. But I have the WiFi package so I'll be here still. Unless the craps table gives me lots of love.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 961
    edited November 2022
    Pawain said:
    I really have no opinion on the topic of keeping player memorials that are in the game.  But, they should not delete stuff before putting the info on the memorial wall.   I thought that someone said that some info was on a memorial wall.

    I still cant figure out how to read the walls.

    Simple mouseover shows text if the memorial is fully transfered. It looks like it may be an automated system since incomplete memorials only have partial gold on the wall.

    (there are many with only slight gold on the wall showing multiple memorials are being done at one time)

    Can someone that holds more clout with the higher ups please make sure this one is fixed with correct spelling?


  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 1,647
    Gotta love that QA
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 962
    Adding this to the afk application errors have to wonder if anyone is proofing this game anymore. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 7,076
    Urge said:
    Pawain said:
    I really have no opinion on the topic of keeping player memorials that are in the game.  But, they should not delete stuff before putting the info on the memorial wall.   I thought that someone said that some info was on a memorial wall.

    I still cant figure out how to read the walls.

    Simple mouseover shows text if the memorial is fully transfered. It looks like it may be an automated system since incomplete memorials only have partial gold on the wall.

    (there are many with only slight gold on the wall showing multiple memorials are being done at one time)

    Can someone that holds more clout with the higher ups please make sure this one is fixed with correct spelling?


    Thanks! I was was too impatient to hover.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 2,165
    edited November 2022
    “Spelling mistake on a memorial or headstone should be a disciplinary for someone.
    That is the apex of disrespect

    my utmost sympathy to any relatives

    i suggest calling a GM on that shard to get it corrected immediately”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,768
    Yoshi said:
    “Spelling mistake on a memorial or headstone should be a disciplinary for someone.
    That is the apex of disrespect

    my utmost sympathy to any relatives

    i suggest calling a GM on that shard to get it corrected immediately”
    Yup, they should get gm to fix this asap.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 961
    edited November 2022
    Yoshi said:
    “Spelling mistake on a memorial or headstone should be a disciplinary for someone.
    That is the apex of disrespect

    my utmost sympathy to any relatives

    i suggest calling a GM on that shard to get it corrected immediately”

    Memorial designs were done via email to the EM how the requesting player submitted. If the requesting player wasn't available online when it was placed then everything was done exactly how the email requested.

    This is one of those technicality things where the requesting player probably just made a boo-boo in text and nobody knew if it was meant to be or not. 

    Could be an inside joke the requesting player had. Idk. No blame should be placed though. It sure would look nice fixed. 

    PS: I'll surely give praise where it's due. When it was empty, I was against that area being dark and gloomy with the tiles and starlight, but it really looks nice with the purple and gold on the black wall. Props on that one! 
  • Larisa said:
    No reason to get panties in a bunch

    One day you'll care about something and someone will use a similar dismissive phrase against you. I suspect you won't react well.

    Just thinking rationally now, the removal of the existing memorials is actually pretty bizarre -- extra work for no end unless she thinks it's funny to cause problems for the EMs.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 950
    Larisa said:
    No reason to get panties in a bunch

    One day you'll care about something and someone will use a similar dismissive phrase against you. I suspect you won't react well.

    Just thinking rationally now, the removal of the existing memorials is actually pretty bizarre -- extra work for no end unless she thinks it's funny to cause problems for the EMs.
    You suspect incorrectly. 

    I am glad they are all in one place, it's just like real life....go to a cemetery and visit everyone there, which I do quite often because I know there are people there who've had no visitors in years.

    Now I can go to any shard and visit, just like real life.

  • I don't really like the memorial wall. I mean, I'm glad that they are still providing a place to remember those that have left us but ... I really feel like it's quite special to be out and about in the world and run across a player memorial. You stop, wonder what it is and then find out about this person and those who care about them. The wall is a little cold and if you never knew they existed, you'll never go visit. 

    I probably didn't say this as eloquently as I wished but ... 
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2022
    They should have just added their names to the spawning NPC list instead. That way, if the RNG treats you well, your UO friend who passed has a chance of spawning as your Tillerman.
    You and Several Others like this.


    Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. (ignore this request, the Devs have)
Sign In or Register to comment.