Suggestion: Improving set items

ShaneeShanee Posts: 12
edited August 2023 in General Discussions
There are quite a few item sets in the game
https://www.uoguide.com/Item_Sets

The issue is, most of them are useless and aren't worth it even for the appearance as it's just standard looking items. When I say useless, I mean literally almost any item you loot from a random higher level mob will easily have better intensities / qualities. UO doesn't really have use for lesser intensity equipment as you can wear everything from the beginning.

Here are 2 different ideas to improve them and make them viable in a way:
1. Make them imbueable as if they have intensity 0. A positive about that is that they will become invalid target for powder of fortifying, so if they can be made good enough to, it'll drive the economy to buy more of these obtainable set items.

2. Upgrade their inteisities, or at least make them a component to make a better item (like some Doom artifacts can be used to craft better items).

I suspect some sets, such as the Marksman Set might need a bit more love as almost any bow one can craft today will be instantly better and still allow you to use a better quiver:
https://www.uoguide.com/Marksman_Set

This idea can potentially also apply to old artifacts that are no longer viable. For example Hat of the Magi, either allow us imbue it to be better, or make a new artifact that uses it as a component in crafting.

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    edited August 2023
    I completely agree, I think we've been here with the Devs a few times.

From what I understand, they find it hard to upgrade properties on old items.

So the best going concept, is to include them as part of a new set.

How about - Collect 5 parts of one of these items - as ingredients to make the up to date item?
    Like you say, they already do this in some cases.
    It would give more regular farming, a bit more incentive.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    For example Hat of the Magi, either allow us imbue it to be better, or make a new artifact that uses it as a component in crafting.
    That one already exists.
    Dr Spector’s Lenses

Crafted by: Tinker
    200 Ingots
    1 Black Moonstone
    1 Hat of the Magi

(Can be altered)
    8 Intelligence Bonus
    4 Mana Regeneration
    12% Spell Damage Increase
    8% Lower Mana Cost
    10% Lower Reagent Cost
    5% Physical Resist
    10% Fire Resist
    14% Cold Resist
    20% Poison Resist
    20% Energy Resist

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,308
    Not just sets.  Most of the special stuff you get, artifacts and whatnot, is more or less junk by today’s standards.  Not talking about special event rewards, those are generally useful, but the other “rewards” you get while just playing the game.  Usual drops I decide to use are much better than almost all of that stuff.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Add fishing quest rewards bait is broken and does anyone need more handbooks?? I bet that we could come up with 50 things that need updating or fixing but hey NL ...
  • HolumerHolumer Posts: 172
    I think updates across the board would be good.

I also think it has become too large. So doing an update with increased properties while nerfing how many can be on the items would be good
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    edited August 2023
    @Grimbeard going off topic and trying to make the thread about fishing stuff and being generally negative as usual.
    dvvid said:
    @ Grimbeard going off topic and trying to make the thread about fishing stuff and being generally negative as usual.
    And your comment is helpful how ? Nothing i said is untrue or rude 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    edited August 2023
    The bait suit works as intended.  So, that is untrue.

Autumn dragonfish baitpng Bait is a general term for one of the many types of quest reward items obtained by completing Professional Fisher Quests.

Use the bait on a Fishing Pole and it will help attract that type of rare fishcrabs and lobsters it's suited for to be caught. Using bait, and fishing in the area the fish is known to live, a player will have 1-3% chance per cast of catching the fish. Without bait, the odds for the rare fish are lower, less than 1%, unless you find a school of magical fish (see: Magical Fish Finder).

The suit grants an increased 50% chance.

So with a suit and bait you get a 1.5 to 4.5% chance per cast.

You just do not like how it works.

1.5% to 4.5% is a lot better than less than 1%.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:

Autumn dragonfish baitpng Bait is a general term for one of the many types of quest reward items obtained by completing Professional Fisher Quests.

Use the bait on a Fishing Pole and it will help attract that type of rare fishcrabs and lobsters it's suited for to be caught. Using bait, and fishing in the area the fish is known to live, a player will have 1-3% chance per cast of catching the fish. Without bait, the odds for the rare fish are lower, less than 1%, unless you find a school of magical fish (see: Magical Fish Finder).

There have been multiple threads on how bait is broken 
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    Pawain said:

Does the Tokyo ship stack on that ?
    Says the ship gives a 1 point to fishing skill.  That would only allow you to catch a higher level fish type if you are 1 point away.  Would not add to bait or suit.  Or if it helps I could say it adds .001%. :D
    I thought it boosted bait as well oh well
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Probably the easiest thing to do would be to have any artifact item unravel into a unique ingredient (think next level relic fragment) and then make that ingredient sought after to craft new items.
  • ShaneeShanee Posts: 12
    Mariah said:
    For example Hat of the Magi, either allow us imbue it to be better, or make a new artifact that uses it as a component in crafting.
    That one already exists.
    Dr Spector’s Lenses

Crafted by: Tinker
    200 Ingots
    1 Black Moonstone
    1 Hat of the Magi

(Can be altered)
    8 Intelligence Bonus
    4 Mana Regeneration
    12% Spell Damage Increase
    8% Lower Mana Cost
    10% Lower Reagent Cost
    5% Physical Resist
    10% Fire Resist
    14% Cold Resist
    20% Poison Resist
    20% Energy Resist

Ah thank you! Just need some for the others, and potentially a way to improve some to be more usable.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    I completely agree with the using older artifacts / items people can still obtain to create newer more relevant items. That said, a quick FYI based on previous comments Kyronix has made.

I'm paraphrasing on memory but essentially adding something like a recipe that would use an older item for a newer item (ie creating a recipe for "Armor of Greater Fortune" from AoF) is harder to do than add that new item (ie Armor of Greater Fortune) to a reward vendor (like ToT reward) because when the item is craftable the Devs need to also update the crafting UI. 

I'm not saying I agree with him but this is why I stopped asking for recipe style things. It's less work for the Devs to add the item to a reward vendor since it only requires updating 1 thing instead of multiple. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    Grimbeard said:
    Add fishing quest rewards bait is broken and does anyone need more handbooks?? I bet that we could come up with 50 things that need updating or fixing but hey NL ...
    I wished they at least made the Handbooks good to get Clean Up Britannia points....

They used to... but then, because of some cheat, they were stopped being redeemable for clean up points...

Hopefully, the developers could fix whatever the cheat was and make Fishmongers fishing Handbooks again possible to be turned in for Clean Up Britannia points ?

@Kyronix , pretty please ?
    Pawain said:
    Says the ship gives a 1 point to fishing skill.  That would only allow you to catch a higher level fish type if you are 1 point away.  Would not add to bait or suit.  Or if it helps I could say it adds .001%. :D
    Does that only work if a fisherman's skill is short of 1 fishing point OR, does it add 1 fishing point also "over" the CAP, for example making fishing being 121.0 if one is already Legendary fisherman?
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Does that only work if a fisherman's skill is short of 1 fishing point OR, does it add 1 fishing point also "over" the CAP, for example making fishing being 121.0 if one is already Legendary fisherman?
    Would 121 fishing do anything more than 120?
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Maybe a developer could tell us 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I wore the suit and burned through over 5k specific bait and not once caught a fish of that type, but I did catch 2 other types that were not affiliated with that specific bait...haven't used bait since...it's Mos Def broken.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Magical finder only works on rare not legendary 
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    keven2002 said:
    I completely agree with the using older artifacts / items people can still obtain to create newer more relevant items. That said, a quick FYI based on previous comments Kyronix has made.

I'm paraphrasing on memory but essentially adding something like a recipe that would use an older item for a newer item (ie creating a recipe for "Armor of Greater Fortune" from AoF) is harder to do than add that new item (ie Armor of Greater Fortune) to a reward vendor (like ToT reward) because when the item is craftable the Devs need to also update the crafting UI. 

I'm not saying I agree with him but this is why I stopped asking for recipe style things. It's less work for the Devs to add the item to a reward vendor since it only requires updating 1 thing instead of multiple. 
    What if you just handed in X amount of something - for an upgraded version?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Cookie said:
    keven2002 said:

What if you just handed in X amount of something - for an upgraded version?
    Almost like make an NPC as a quest giver where someone would target "quest items" (ie 2 AoF & 5 DF Blood) and in return the new item would be placed in your pack??

Would be a good question for @Kyronix if this would be more feasible.
    edited August 2023
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Well, to my knowledge, for example, for smelting ore, wearing Mining Gloves when already being at 100.0 Mining skill CAP, does work beyond the GM skill CAP to increase smelting success rate...

So, I imagine, the code to have skill boosting items to enhance success rate "beyond" the skill CAP is already in Ultima Online...

Why couldn't then be the same for fishing if I may ask, as it is for Mining ?
    Like I asked, what mechanic in fishing would make 121 better?  Maybe they don't go above 120 for that reason.

Some things are designed for less than 120 characters. Like the carpentry bench.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    I think the mining gloves and the ash hammers are the only thing that takes you over cap.  Could you see all the skill+ items taking you over 120 skill cap.
    I think Carto glasses also. Smelting and a bigger dig range is mire important than 1 fish points.
  • ShaneeShanee Posts: 12
    edited September 2023
    Kindly move the debate about fishing and mining to a different thread as it's derailing the topic  :D
    We all wish the suit sets were useful.  But, what would they change them to?  There are many sets. We basically need two templates. One for melee and ranged. One for magic users. Others are hybrids.

Mages have the Sorcerer suit, which some still use.

They will not make a suit that is a hybrid that can get high mana and stamina. And leave room for strength.

If they did change them, I doubt the changes would be retroactive.

What suits did players use?  The Sorcerer suit and the plate suit from a quest.  By the time I got one of the ML suits it was already not very good compared to what I could get.
    all my mules/craftsmen use Sorcerer suit my fisherman use the bait suit, the rest of the suits are just deco.