Give incentive for people to kill paragons instead of luring them on others

Title. Drop same drop rate as normal monsters as (devs have claimed) is unacceptable. 
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 1 year and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

  • PawainPawain Posts: 4,918
    edited October 2020
    Must be nice to be on a shard where other mobs are alive. We kill them because we have nothing else alive.  If I can get set up the Para poison takes me 25 seconds for those. If poison and para rams gave drops I'd have over 100 from just those.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 382
    I think the low level paragons should be done away with and the higher level paragons should function more like a captain in Blackthorns... guaranteed drop.  
  • PawainPawain Posts: 4,918
    That would be awesome I would just run around and kill those. A drop every minute!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 4,918
    Also someone running for their pixel life is not luring. The para chooses to retarget. The runner has no control over the Mob AI

  • usernameusername Posts: 152
    edited October 2020
    Not asking for a drop every kill but, you know, maybe a little bump? Even like 1.5x the drop rate of the non-paragon variant would be appreciated. Something to reward killing a significantly more difficult monster lol. I think the word is, ah yes, incentive ;)

    Repeatedly bringing monsters across the dungeon and invising on top of people to drop agro and then running away to not have to deal with it is, in fact, classified as physical harassment in trammel and is a actionable offense. No need to derail the thread with nonsense.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 1 year and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 199
    As Pawain says when you're running for your UO life, it's not luring, it's trying to escape or gain some life and stats back to continue the fight.  There are no escape routes out of the dungeon so of course someone is going to be on your escape path, please excuse us but remember when you're running for your life.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 4,918
    edited October 2020
    Well they do not have to invis, the mean paras change targets to the player who is moving. That's when I have trouble. Someone comes up while I am fighting one and it switches target and moves just out of my reach so I stop hitting it. Then UO decides to target something else and I am not swinging and the para goes back on me. Then they run off and I have to chase it down and start over.

    This may help some runners.
    My proven method of getting a Para off you and onto your pet:

    1. Invis
    2. Heal
    3. repeat till at high HP.
    4. Cast invis, take 4 steps from Para then use invis.
    The para will stay on your pet until the next person runs by.

    You put Luring in the title. So the thread is also about that....
  • usernameusername Posts: 152
    Pawain said:
    You put Luring in the title. So the thread is also about that....
    Yes and what I am explaining is luring, I don't understand the confusion.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 1 year and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • usernameusername Posts: 152
    Parnoc said:
    As Pawain says when you're running for your UO life, it's not luring, it's trying to escape or gain some life and stats back to continue the fight.  There are no escape routes out of the dungeon so of course someone is going to be on your escape path, please excuse us but remember when you're running for your life.
    Correct, that's not luring so why are you even bringing it up? Stay on topic
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 1 year and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • SethSeth Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2020
    If drop rate is based on accumulated amount of damage points, then paragon's damage should give more points.
    We love bugs....
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Learning to cooperate with others without direct gain to yourself is an essential life lesson. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

    Breaking in the young since 2002


  • usernameusername Posts: 152
    Seth said:
    If drop rate is based on accumulated amount of damage points, then paragon's damage should give more points.
    That's not at all how it works or so they've stated. Where do you see this information?
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 1 year and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • SethSeth Posts: 1,421
    username said:
    Seth said:
    If drop rate is based on accumulated amount of damage points, then paragon's damage should give more points.
    That's not at all how it works or so they've stated. Where do you see this information?
    Its a suggestion on the topic, assuming its based on point system, to give incentive for dealing with paragon by awarding more points.
    We love bugs....
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 199
    Pawain said:
    That would be awesome I would just run around and kill those. A drop every minute!

    So you can kill a 2000 to 5000 hitpoint monster in a few hits?  Wish I had your equipment and stats.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 4,918
     ByParnoc said:
    Pawain said:
    That would be awesome I would just run around and kill those. A drop every minute!

    So you can kill a 2000 to 5000 hitpoint monster in a few hits?  Wish I had your equipment and stats.
    I can do the poisons in 20 to 30 seconds. Rams take longer. I have a system where I drag them to a certain spot and if I need to I can bring down my Tamer. I die sometimes.  Usually it's a misclick on my end. Basic old  paladin using a mage weapon.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 951Dev
    Paragons will award more points than other creatures.  These points are then used to calculate your drop chance upon each kill.  So they have built-in benefit to killing them.
  • SethSeth Posts: 1,421
    Kyronix said:
    Paragons will award more points than other creatures.  These points are then used to calculate your drop chance upon each kill.  So they have built-in benefit to killing them.

    Thanks for confirming this!
    We love bugs....
  • Having noticed that I seemed to get a drop very soon after killing a paragon, I guessed that might be the case, but was reluctant to say so without any proof.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 382
    Kyronix said:
    Paragons will award more points than other creatures.  These points are then used to calculate your drop chance upon each kill.  So they have built-in benefit to killing them.
    I guess the real question is: is the increase in points proportional to the hit point/difficultly of the paragon.

    For example:  a standard Lich Lord has more hit points than a paragon specter... but which is “worth” more points?  Is a normal Lich worth more than a normal zombie?  Or are all normal mobs worth X and all paragons worth Y?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 4,918
    edited November 2020
    Having noticed that I seemed to get a drop very soon after killing a paragon, I guessed that might be the case, but was reluctant to say so without any proof.
    My tamer just sits at the entry for helping with paras on the first floor or with my macer.  He gets a drop per number of mobs at a much higher rate than my guy killing everything.  
    Also if I happen to get a full load of mobs at 2nd floor tele or the Ram room, I get a drop almost every time. But on LS that is rare still. 
    I had no doubt that @kyronix gave mobs a difficulty level in the design phase, so I did not say anything.
  • Merus said:
    Kyronix said:
    Paragons will award more points than other creatures.  These points are then used to calculate your drop chance upon each kill.  So they have built-in benefit to killing them.
    I guess the real question is: is the increase in points proportional to the hit point/difficultly of the paragon.

    For example:  a standard Lich Lord has more hit points than a paragon specter... but which is “worth” more points?  Is a normal Lich worth more than a normal zombie?  Or are all normal mobs worth X and all paragons worth Y?
    It could be based on the mob's HP, but my guess would be it being based on fame. How much fame do you get for each mob type if you check your loyalty rating?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 4,918
    edited November 2020
     HiPetra_Fyde said:
    Merus said:
    Kyronix said:
    Paragons will award more points than other creatures.  These points are then used to calculate your drop chance upon each kill.  So they have built-in benefit to killing them.
    I guess the real question is: is the increase in points proportional to the hit point/difficultly of the paragon.

    For example:  a standard Lich Lord has more hit points than a paragon specter... but which is “worth” more points?  Is a normal Lich worth more than a normal zombie?  Or are all normal mobs worth X and all paragons worth Y?
    It could be based on the mob's HP, but my guess would be it being based on fame. How much fame do you get for each mob type if you check your loyalty rating?
    I don't recall Rams increasing my fame.
    I hope it's on another metric. Also I'm not sure if paragons give more fame than normal ones. The para Balrons Give the same as normal.
Sign In or Register to comment.