Development of map applocation aiming to succeseed UOAM and UOC

Comments

• Gandalf said:
    15 years we asking UOAssist to get (real) update and EA don't give a sh*t... so good luck to get your map approved.
    And the packet hook function for the SOS tool is nice but sadly, the devs will refuse for sure.
    Getting approved isn't impossible. Ultima Mapper has been approved for years now, they just won't promote it, so only the people who are actively told about it via word-of-mouth know anything about it. I suspect the same will be true of any other third-party application that may get approved.
    UWF Emissary
    Developer of Ultima Mapper
  • MadMartyrMadMartyr Posts: 61
    edited September 2018
    I can tell you, from my own experience, they won't approve anything that directly reads/writes the client memory or uses a man-in-the-middle approach for packets (other than UOA, apparently). Both of those caused me to have to rewrite parts of Mapper early on when seeking approval.
    UWF Emissary
  • >And the packet hook function for the SOS tool is nice but sadly, the devs will refuse for sure.
    uovmc does not do any packet hooks.
    It is judged by false negative and false positive of dot by dot by image matching.

>directly reads/writes the client memory or uses a man-in-the-middle approach for packets
    uovmc only reads the memory area of the client. It do not do packet hooks, man-in-the-middle, dll injection and so on.

At least it does not affect the behavior of the client at all. I will not rewrite the client program at all.

Only the GetDC function and ReadProcessMemory function are used in connection with the client.

Despite recruiting himself for Broadsword, are you willing to approve the new 3rd party program in the first place?

So tell me directly from development so.

Please let me know if there is anything you need to fix in approving it.
    As far as I can remember, Broadsword recruited himself has not made a word of comment on this.

I will treat all uovmc except initial beta not to work.
    I did not spend labor and time to make illegal tools.

veterinary meister
  • >And the packet hook function for the SOS tool is nice but sadly, the devs will refuse for sure.

For recognition of SOS, a method such as debug image output is used as follows.
    This is the original image analysis I created by oneself.

veterinary meister
  • If you doubt this as a packet hook, please try moving it a little after moving the open SOS.

The correct coordinates can not be taken with that.

Do you understand what this means?
    veterinary meister
    edited October 2018
    You're still reading the client memory (by your own admission), which I was told long ago, directly, not to do if you ever want to be approved.
    UWF Emissary
  • I would like to insist that the UO client has not given any damage and interference.

If it is said to be NO from dev, we will stop all uovmc's operations and stop distributing.
    veterinary meister
  • I am aiming to provide good choices for all users.

If it is true that it is useless to do anything other than UOA, I will stop providing all the technology.
    veterinary meister
    edited October 2018
    @Tranquilllo I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm really not. I have no problem with more alternatives in the marketplace. I'm just telling you what the guidelines they provided me said. Even just attaching to and reading the memory can cause instability in an executable, which I'm sure is the primary reason they take that stance. Even if you don't see a problem now, that could change, and they'd be hearing about it from your users, possibly more frequently than you would (especially if you were to abandon the project).

I wouldn't expect their stance to change, as they have, I'm sure, passed on approval for many application submissions on similar grounds over the years. If it were allowed, Ultima Mapper would have been doing it from the start. In fact, Mapper was initially written to read directly from the client memory, and I was told that it would not be approved with that ability. That is the only reason Ultima Mapper uses the far-too-restrictive UOAssist API.
    UWF Emissary
  • has anyone here tried this program?
    I installed and got it to work without any problems but I haven't found out how to connect with other players yet. Any help appreciated.

One thing that really made me nervous was that when I had the map running for the first time and logged into my uo account it first displayed my account name on the map, then when I was logged into my shard it displayed my actual character name.
    I could freely edit my displayed name but I absolutely don't want other people to be able to see my account name and I also don't want a third party program to somehow be able to read my account name. Explanations?
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    If it's displaying your account name, it's absolutely reading it, which is something none of the other 3rd party map apps do, UOA has never done that.You're much braver than me for downloading it in the first place.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    edited October 2018
    With the direct memory read, the app has access to a lot more than the account name. Same goes for man-in-the-middle packet approaches.
    UWF Emissary
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    MadMartyr said:
    With the direct memory read, the app has access to a lot more than the account name. Same goes for man-in-the-middle packet approaches.
    So basically this program can hack all your UO info, what else is it looking at?  Damn glad I never downloaded it also.
  • If it reads memory or packets, I wouldn't touch it unless it's first approved by Broadsword, or from a known trustworthy developer. Just my two cents.
    UWF Emissary

• You say you need to use the UOAssist API, but does not UOAssist read memory?

Why is UOAssist good?
    And why do all tools need UOAssist?
    So why everyone fears that UOAssist will not be able to collect money.

veterinary meister
  • Is there a place where contents indicating the technical basis of information that the target program becomes unstable by simply using the ReadProcessMemory function is included?

veterinary meister

• It is also written in the online help (document), but only the name specified in "Change self-name" is shared.
    The default is Player.

If you connect somewhere in the default settings, your name will be displayed as Player.

Account names and player names are only sending UO client window text (general information on Windows).

Its content will not be sent anywhere.

veterinary meister
  • I'm not going to debate with you. UOAssist is approved, the UOAssist API is required for subsequent approval via Broadsword. UOAssist has been around since the age of the dinosaurs with no security lapses.

If you have doubts about ReadProcessMemory causing stability issues, a Google search should clear that up.

I was only ever trying to offer you advice on the approval process from my experience in getting Ultima Mapper approved, and steer you away from the more risky behavior where people would eventually discover that anything they enter in the client while you're using ReadProcessMemory can be captured by your program.

I'll bow out of your thread now. I wish you all the best.
    UWF Emissary
  • I am not even saying that you are collecting user data Tranquillo but when I log into the map and my account name can be seen by anyone else logged into the map that is a problem. I mean that's 50% of getting into my account, all they need then is my password.
  • >If it's displaying your account name, it's absolutely reading it, which is something none of the other 3rd party map apps do, UOA has never done that.You're much braver than me for downloading it in the first place.

There is a Windows standard function called GetWindowText.
    I am using it.
    First of all, look at the text of the UO client's window.
    You can see that account name and character name are displayed in the UO client window after login and thereafter.

This information is general information on Windows which UO client issues as public information.

Perhaps you suspect that I'm stealing the internal account information?
    I think you will understand if you digitally sign it with a real name and do not do such a thing as thinking about something a little?
    veterinary meister
  • >With the direct memory read, the app has access to a lot more than the account name. Same goes for man-in-the-middle packet approaches.

Is this possible with ReadProcessMemory alone?
    I've been doing Windows programs for many years, but I have not heard that packets are fiddled just by reading memory.

veterinary meister
  • >So basically this program can hack all your UO info, what else is it looking at?  Damn glad I never downloaded it also.

Do you tell the same to all third party programs?

It is hard work.

veterinary meister
  • To clarify, my statement was that you have access to everything in the client. Account Name, password, guild chat messages, etc. Whether that be via the appropriate memory addresses and ReadProcessMemory or via unencrypting packets, the result is the same.

You've already said that if you're not approved, you'll stop distribution. Send an email to support, get the guidelines, and start the process. I wish you luck.
    UWF Emissary
  • >If it reads memory or packets, I wouldn't touch it unless it's first approved by Broadsword, or from a known trustworthy developer. Just my two cents.

I think that's fine.

veterinary meister
  • It seems that something like account name appears to be a cause of unnecessary misunderstanding and disturbance, so we made the following changes.

By the way, it is understood by searching "GetWindowText c ++" as to where the account name information displayed by uovmc is acquired from.
    I think that it will be understood as expected that there is no illegality there if you search and check the contents.

-------------

[version 0b19 Rev.1 / 2018/10/20]
    When the location are 0,0, the name is not updated in the first place.
    In addition, even it will be repeated, position sharing will not send anything other than the name specified by self-name.

-------------

Also, although it is very disappointing, I do not have any meaningful discussion, so I will stop checking this thread.
    If you have business with me. Or if you have a request, a problem report or a question, please e - mail lakueth [@] yahoo.co.jp or write it on the bulletin board below. You may write in English.
    https://uovm.info/bbs/
    veterinary meister
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I"m not sure what client YOU"RE playing , but mine absolutely does NOT display my account name.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • I do hope this guy gets good results from his work.
    I'm actually more surprised someone is even developing programs for this game and sharing it with the community. I don't think he has ill intentions. Not sure you'll get this message @Tranquilllo
    but I hope you can succeed in your endeavor. Peace buddy.
  • @NamelessJourney I've been steadily working on Ultima Mapper since 2010. Shouldn't be that surprised.   ;)
    UWF Emissary
  • I"m not sure what client YOU"RE playing , but mine absolutely does NOT display my account name.
    Tranquillo is actually correct about that Garth. When you start your UO client, look at the bar all the way at the top of your screen (the one with the X to close the client etc). Watch the left had side of that bar when you first log in and get to the server selection page - it will display your client and account name. When you now log into a shard it will display client, account name (shard name). When you now log in your character it will display client, character name (shard name).
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    >So basically this program can hack all your UO info, what else is it looking at?  Damn glad I never downloaded it also.

Do you tell the same to all third party programs?

It is hard work.

name me any other legal 3rd party program that does this, UOA and UOAM do not hack your system and as far as I know UO itself does not but yours does. 
This discussion has been closed.