Bait update

Rather than bait for rare fish we need bait for the fish we need to catch for the monger quest I'd kill for tarpon or dungeon chub bait..

Comments

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    edited March 23
    I spent five hours a day for three days trying to catch Shovel-Nosed Lobsters for a monger quest.  And the only way to destroy the quest crate is, I'm assuming, pull everything out of my hold and drydock the ship.  And the "everything" in my hold is a bunch of 10 stone fish.

Either I'm going to have to commodity deed it all and hope fish can be or I'll have to finish these two monger quests for crabs and lobster and just take it right up the ass if I get another one.  Right up there.  All the way.  Elbow deep.  No spit or anything.  In b4 mods.

What I meant to say is... this game is great.  It's fun to "play."  Maybe I'll just "play" a dozen EJ accounts like everyone else.  That sounds like a bunch of fun.

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    edited March 23
    Feigr said:
    I spent five hours a day for three days trying to catch Shovel-Nosed Lobsters for a monger quest.  And the only way to destroy the quest crate is, I'm assuming, pull everything out of my hold and drydock the ship.  And the "everything" in my hold is a bunch of 10 stone fish.

Either I'm going to have to commodity deed it all and hope fish can be or I'll have to finish these two monger quests for crabs and lobster and just take it right up the ass if I get another one.  Right up there.  All the way.  Elbow deep.  No spit or anything.  In b4 mods.

What I meant to say is... this game is great.  It's fun to "play."  Maybe I'll just "play" a dozen EJ accounts like everyone else.  That sounds like a bunch of fun.

well, i experimented and there's no way to delete a fish crate except re-deeding the ship.Thought I had it, but it came back a minute later.

*edit* just resign from that quest

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    When the content came out, Players would sell the different fish.  There is probably someone on your shard that has plenty.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    You resigned the quest
    Pawain said:
    When the content came out, Players would sell the different fish.  There is probably someone on your shard that has plenty.
    We want to fish not buy stuff 
    edited March 23
    Grimbeard said:
    You resigned the quest
    Yep, just looked and saw the quest. and as @Pawain said someone probably has some on your shard, or @Feigr just get quests in other towns until you have them.

Feigr said:

well, i experimented and there's no way to delete a fish crate except re-deeding the ship.Thought I had it, but it came back a minute later.

*edit* just resign from that quest

That worked, thanks!  There's only two commodity deeds for lobster on my shard and they are just "lobster" and way overpriced.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Since there are 42 different fish, you have 2.38% change for a specific one. Keep fishing and keep what you get, you will eventually have hundreds of everything.

Or you can wish for 42 different baits and complain you never get the specific one you want.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Grimbeard said:
    Rather than bait for rare fish we need bait for the fish we need to catch for the monger quest I'd kill for tarpon or dungeon chub bait..
    I thought I posted this already, (probably did in another thread) but my thoughts are maybe they could sell "Fish maps" (like somone sometime back has probably said a fwew times) that creates a "school" of fish for 20 minutes, give or take. sell them on the pirate vendor for 150,000 Doubloons. 

*apologies if I posted this already,I've been awake for 24 hours*

Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Since there are 42 different fish, you have 2.38% change for a specific one. Keep fishing and keep what you get, you will eventually have hundreds of everything.

Or you can wish for 42 different baits and complain you never get the specific one you want.

While there are a lot of different fish, you have some control over what you catch already by fishing in the right area.  Crustaceans don't really have a region, but fish do.  You'll catch specific fish if you're fishing from land/dock or deep sea.  So your statistics aren't entirely correct. 

You're also assuming every fish has an equal chance to be caught.  With crustaceans, I suspect this isn't the case.

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    Dungeon Chub:  Has less chance of being caught than other dungeon fish and appears in fish monger quests more often than others. All fish aren't created equally.

Rock Crab: Has less chance of being caught than other shellfish and MAYBE appears in fish monger quests more often than others. All crabs aren't created equally.

Smallmouth Bass: Has less chance of being caught than other shore fish and appears in fish monger quests more often than others. All fish aren't created equally.

Frankly I don't know how someone who works a 40 hour work week and has a life can do these fishing quests.I spent a few years stocking up on fish so most I have already but I've been spending the last 2 months focusing on them and I go through 1,000s of fish very quickly. Some quests, like the one I'm doing right now calls for 20 king crab, 20 rock lobster, 20 pumpkinseed, 20 yellow perch and 20 demon trout. That's 100 items that has to be fished up for 1, yes 1 order. And I think they go up to 6 different ones. The crab and lobster... to get 20 each can take an evening of solid trapping just to get hopefully 20 each.

In the past I've been able to be part of cooperatives on the shard I play but eventually it does fall apart as there always tends to be a user that pops up. It works well when it works well. It leaves a sour taste in one's mouth when it falls apart.

Those fish finders never seemed to work right for me. Not sure why.

Grim... I got some tarpon for you. I have plenty.

Just got this quest. Realistically, how long do you think it would take to fish / trap this order?
    Just got this quest. Realistically, how long do you think it would take to fish / trap this order?
    Well with the long trip to moonglow harbor..
    Brat.
    about 3 hours and 50 minutes

Grimbeard said:
    Well with the long trip to moonglow harbor..

Moon Glow* LOL
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    edited March 24
    Smallmouth Bass: Has less chance of being caught than other shore fish and appears in fish monger quests more often than others. All fish aren't created equally.
    Honestly, I don't think there is any rarity to the shore fish, or any of the fish.

I started a macro this morning, let it run for 2 hrs and 15 min and this was the distribution:

That's pretty even already, but as you approach 1000 or so of each fish, the distribution is likely to equalize further. As you can see, Smallmouth Bass (upper right) were basically the most average catch (for me, this morning)!

RNGesus just dislikes you Amber!

These results are consistent with all my other experiences fishing, whether it be shore, deep, dungeon, or crab/lobster. It doesn't appear to me that there is any actual "coded" rarity in catch rates.

It also seems unlikely there is actual rarity to the fish requested by the monger quests. However, "coded" rarity vs. real life luck just sucking and handing you the quest for the same fish 5 or 6 times in a row, that is totally possible (and yes, I have experienced this -- freaking Hummer Lobster. Every. Damn. Time.). 
    -Arroth
  • Just to taunt everyone here... :D

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    I collect fish that I may need for the quests if I ever end up doing quests.  Here are the numbers of each fish and crab/lobster I've gotten over the years.

188 Cape Cod
    184 Gray Snapper
    181 Shad
    179 Black Seabass
    176 Blue Grouper
    175 Amberjack
    174 Mahi-Mahi
    173 Bluefish
    166 Red Grouper
    160 Red Drum
    159 Tarpon
    156 Haddock
    154 Red Snook
    153 Captain Snook
    151 Cobia
    149 Yellowfin Tuna
    144 Bonefish
    140 Bonito
    126 Grim Cisco
    115 Orc Bass
    109 Dungeon Chub
    108 Lurker Fish
    108 Snaggletooth Bass
    105 Cutthroat Trout
    104 Crag Snapper
    103 Smallmouth Bass
    102 Tormented Pike
    99 Demon Trout
    98 Darkfish
    90 Brook Trout
    90 Rainbow Trout
    89 Kokanee Salmon
    89 Yellow Perch
    86 Drake Fish
    86 Redbelly Bream
    81 Bluegill Sunfish
    81 Walleye
    75 Green Catfish
    74 Pumpkinseed Sunfish
    70 Infernal Tuna
    67 Uncommon Shiner
    44 Pike

146	Crab
    140 Crab
    138 Lobster
    132 Lobster
    46 Fred Lobster
    42 King Crab
    33 Hummer Lobster
    32 Dungeness Crab
    31 Snow Crab
    30 Apple Crab
    29 Crusty Lobster
    29 Rock Crab
    21 Blue Crab
    19 Spiney Lobster
    15 Shovel-Nose Lobster
    13 Rock Lobster

TimSt said:
    I collect fish that I may need for the quests if I ever end up doing quests.  Here are the numbers of each fish and crab/lobster I've gotten over the years.

188 Cape Cod
    184 Gray Snapper
    181 Shad
    179 Black Seabass
    176 Blue Grouper
    175 Amberjack
    174 Mahi-Mahi
    173 Bluefish
    166 Red Grouper
    160 Red Drum
    159 Tarpon
    156 Haddock
    154 Red Snook
    153 Captain Snook
    151 Cobia
    149 Yellowfin Tuna
    144 Bonefish
    140 Bonito
    126 Grim Cisco
    115 Orc Bass
    109 Dungeon Chub
    108 Lurker Fish
    108 Snaggletooth Bass
    105 Cutthroat Trout
    104 Crag Snapper
    103 Smallmouth Bass
    102 Tormented Pike
    99 Demon Trout
    98 Darkfish
    90 Brook Trout
    90 Rainbow Trout
    89 Kokanee Salmon
    89 Yellow Perch
    86 Drake Fish
    86 Redbelly Bream
    81 Bluegill Sunfish
    81 Walleye
    75 Green Catfish
    74 Pumpkinseed Sunfish
    70 Infernal Tuna
    67 Uncommon Shiner
    44 Pike

146	Crab
    140 Crab
    138 Lobster
    132 Lobster
    46 Fred Lobster
    42 King Crab
    33 Hummer Lobster
    32 Dungeness Crab
    31 Snow Crab
    30 Apple Crab
    29 Crusty Lobster
    29 Rock Crab
    21 Blue Crab
    19 Spiney Lobster
    15 Shovel-Nose Lobster
    13 Rock Lobster

I had surgery last year and forgot one boat in water losing thousands of fish 
    edited March 25

Since my fishing macro is running on another monitor, I've had time to try to work through how long it might actually take to fill an order, just as a general guideline.

Let's assume we're using 1 account, the distribution of catch is even (no "coded" rarity"), and we get about 1 fish per 10 seconds.

I'm going to go with 1 fish in 10 seconds because that's what my fishing macros run and that timing makes the math much easier. Yes, you can actually fish every 8 seconds, but by the time you deal with footwear, messes of small fish, and changing locations, the average is a bit slower. This timing also holds for me regardless of the fish type I'm going for: shore, deep, dungeon, or crab/lobster. (This timing is for once you're setup for each category. It does take a while to get to that point.)

With that, let's do some math.
    1 fish in 10 seconds
    6 fish in 1 minute
    240 fish in 40 min
    320 fish in 53.33 min
    360 fish in 60 min

If the distribution of catch is even:
    20 of each of the 12 shore fish should take 40 min
    20 of each of the 12 dungeon fish should take 40 min
    20 of each of the 16 crab/lobster should take 53.33 min
    20 of each of the 18 deepwater fish should take 60 min

There will be a bunch of variation here, and setting up for different fishing types, etc., but let's say getting a distribution of 20 of each fish category, takes about an hour per category.

So, for your order above, there are only 2 categories: dungeon and crab/lobster.

It should take, realistically, about 2 hours to fill.

Hey, you asked!  :p
    -Arroth
    edited March 25
    You're making assumptions.  Your macro won't work on crustaceans unless it's not allowed.  What skill are you fishing at? Also, the timing of fish and traps are different. 

I would love for you to record a video of you filling that order in 2 hours.
    edited March 25
    Feigr said:
    You're making assumptions.  Your macro won't work on crustaceans unless it's not allowed.  What skill are you fishing at? Also, the timing of fish and traps are different. 
    My macros (EC) work on crab/lobster just fine.

120 Fishing skill. 

The timing on crab/lobster is dependent on how you lay out your lines. I setup my lines so I pull/replace every 10 seconds continuously. 
    -Arroth
    edited March 25
    Feigr said:

120 Fishing skill. 

The timing on crab/lobster is dependent on how you lay out your lines. I setup my lines so I pull/replace every 10 seconds continuously. 

How're you macro'ing traps that are RNG in EC?  And 120 skill at fishing isn't realistic.  People are doing this to get the 120 scrolls.
    Feigr said:
    Feigr said:

120 Fishing skill. 

How're you macro'ing traps that are RNG in EC?  And 120 skill at fishing isn't realistic.  People are doing this to get the 120 scrolls.
    I'm on my 5th trip through and fish daily for quest with 120 fishing however I disagree with the assumption that all fish have an equal chance at being caught 
    edited March 25

Pretty sure I'm still doing fishmonger quests at 120.0.

Yes, I earned that 120.0 fishing scroll myself doing the quests. Been a number of years now, but I've actually gotten a couple of them (120's).

Why would you stop doing the monger quests just because you got a fishing 120? That would be like not doing champion spawns after you got a 120 you were looking for.

The monger quests are a nice build out of fishing as its own game. Wish they'd do the same for mining...

Grim, you and Amber may be right about rarity of certain fish. I just haven't recorded anything that would indicate an actual rarity. That doesn't mean it's not there. 
    -Arroth
    That's not what I said.  I said it was unrealistic to measure it at 120.  
  • They should make it to where you can craft bait for specific fish, from messes of small fish. Give those damn things a real use.
    They should make it to where you can craft bait for specific fish, from messes of small fish. Give those damn things a real use.
    Oooh, that would be cool.

Or have Cooking use the "messes" in fish pies. The fish pie buff could be the same as the basic "mess", but the duration increased to like 8 min (or 10 Stamina every 10 seconds for 60s). Something along those lines.

Either way, giving the "messes" additional purpose would be nice.
    -Arroth
    Grimbeard said:
    ...I disagree with the assumption that all fish have an equal chance at being caught 

I don't know Grim. I've let the macro run a bit (19.25 hrs) for the past couple days and this is what I've got for shore fish:

Doesn't look to me like any rarity among Shallow Water fish.

I'll post the distribution one last time when I have 1k minimum of each fish. At this point though, I'm pretty sure the catch distribution for Shallow Water is even.
    -Arroth