Extreme Packetloss

HeavySmokerHeavySmoker Posts: 50
edited January 8 in General Discussions
Hello, this makes about week 5-6 that this has been happening, we also had a big server crash after the fact that this was happening to me, a few other players are saying they are experiencing the same issue. It does seem like a packet loss issue, I have ran MANY tests on my end, my ping is around 11 all of the time the issue I have is "stutter lag" and it happens when someone is chasing/attacking me 2-3 people will cause me to lock up every 2 steps over and over until I am dead and the lag will be gone.

I have tried the following...
- 5+ other games with no lag at all.
- Reset router/ip/dns etc..
- Contacted service provider (no issues found)
- ran a tracert to the server (Experiencing multiple time outs aka packet loss etc speaking to the server)
- ran a ping test (850+ download 850+ upload)
- not a pc issue as I have a very high end computer, running with no issues on even the most demanding games.
comment removed by Mariah

I have played the server for 2 years and RARELY ever experience any lag, the only time I experience anything even remotely similar is when large events are being hosted, without even knowing their is an event running in another facet I will be lagging in Felucca while pvping, once this happens I have to turn on a VPN to change my location in order to play so this tells me that the location that the servers are located in are effecting people on the east coast for whatever reason?... Anyone that can look into this? Thanks

Here is a test on something else with no packet loss.

Comments

• CovfefeCovfefe Posts: 239
    edited January 7
    While they’re at it, no guild can fight in Ocllo VvV town on Atlantic for about a year now, 
    the whole sub server is still really laggy for every single player. Too laggy to play on so we have to skip it. 
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    edited January 7
    Your first image is not packet loss. Those servers are ICMP blocking.

Your second image I'm guessing shows illegal 3rd party clients, well done. Again 0 packet loss.

Your 3rd image is a bandwidth test, not a ping test, and is pretty irrelevant.

UO can run on a sega genesis so that's an odd/unnecessary flex 'very high end computer'.

So no idea where you are getting this idea of packet loss from? Learn networking.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • HeavySmokerHeavySmoker Posts: 50
    edited January 8

Anyways, any help is appreciated from anyone else. Thanks
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    edited January 7
    Hello, this makes about week 5-6 that this has been happening, we also had a big server crash after the fact that this was happening to me, a few other players are saying they are experiencing the same issue. It does seem like a packet loss issue, I have ran MANY tests on my end, my ping is around 11 all of the time the issue I have is "stutter lag" and it happens when someone is chasing/attacking me 2-3 people will cause me to lock up every 2 steps over and over until I am dead and the lag will be gone.

- ran a tracert to the server (Experiencing multiple time outs aka packet loss etc speaking to the server)
    - not a pc issue as I have a very high end computer, running with no issues on even the most demanding games.
    - have tried multiple different clients including the original

I have played the server for 2 years and RARELY ever experience any lag, the only time I experience anything even remotely similar is when large events are being hosted, without even knowing their is an event running in another facet I will be lagging in Felucca while pvping, once this happens I have to turn on a VPN to change my location in order to play so this tells me that the location that the servers are located in are effecting people on the east coast for whatever reason?... Anyone that can look into this? Thanks

I have noticed some large lag spikes off and on for a couple of weeks but haven't bothered with checking anything because it is so sporadic I doubt i could pin it down. if it gets worse I may give it a shot.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited January 7

- have tried multiple different clients including the original

I have noticed some large lag spikes off and on for a couple of weeks but haven't bothered with checking anything because it is so sporadic I doubt i could pin it down. if it gets worse I may give it a shot.

When it becomes like mine you will have no choice, it's literally lock up every 2-3 tiles for 2 seconds at a time but you can still type/drink potions/use abilities, but your character is locked up. Makes it impossible to pvp...
    When you email someone from UO it's like trying to get in touch with Donald Trump, or a famous person, they don't even check their emails.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    Some troll posts and replies to them have been removed.
    Please treat all posters with respect.
    IF server downs are caused by problems with equipment the devs will usually make a post on the uo.com front page.
    In the past, I believe, some server crashes and connection problems have been traced to nefarious activities on the part of players.
    I would try passing this info to your ISP, they do normally investigate. 
  • Covfefe said:
    I have tried this and they could not find any problems on their end. Also this happens with NO other games, I have also not changed any settings or anything within the game in over a year, I literally log in and repeat the same "activities" every time I log in which is go straight to pvp continuing at where I left off. So if the "Nefarious activities" are a hint at something I am doing on my end, the "nefarious activities" have been the same thing for over a year with no problems and no changes on my side whatsoever, thus leading me to believe it is a server issue. We can shrug it being a server issue off forever but it will not fix the issue if there is one.

• Mariah said:
    IF server downs are caused by problems with equipment the devs will usually make a post on the uo.com front page.
    In the past, I believe, some server crashes and connection problems have been traced to nefarious activities on the part of players.
    Why would they not let paying players know the issue regardless who's end it is on? If the server crashes at any point and time it is still an issue on THEIR end. They should have stronger servers that can withstand activities from the players, an update to their iconic hamster wheels may need to be updated with the remaining players money, because anyone experiencing the issues I am experiencing will just close their accounts, which I am holding out on doing until I truly believe there is no hope at resolving the issue.

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,254
    Covfefe said:
    I have tried this and they could not find any problems on their end. Also this happens with NO other games, I have also not changed any settings or anything within the game in over a year, I literally log in and repeat the same "activities" every time I log in which is go straight to pvp continuing at where I left off. So if the "Nefarious activities" are a hint at something I am doing on my end, the "nefarious activities" have been the same thing for over a year with no problems and no changes on my side whatsoever, thus leading me to believe it is a server issue. We can shrug it being a server issue off forever but it will not fix the issue if there is one.

Or maybe they are putting in stuff that deals with "Nefarious activities" and don't want you to know about it.
  • Covfefe said:

Or maybe they are putting in stuff that deals with "Nefarious activities" and don't want you to know about it.
    Well this is a very silly comment, because if that was the case 99% of the server wouldnt be able to move.

edited January 9
    Yeah there were 70+ other people running around fine in yew tonight all running nefarious activities no problems reported.
    You tried uninstalling/reinstalling?
    I think someone had this before and think it was a problem with their main “special” file 
    the one with all the “stuff” that fixes things 

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    I swear i had this same issue years ago and it turned out to be a corrupt registry file. 

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    The strongest possibility that I can see is that there's a problem with your route to the server, your end is fine, the shard is fine - otherwise everyone would have the problem, it's somewhere in between that the problem lies

I vividly recall a time years ago when EA were using Suddenlink for routing, UK was cut off from Europa for 8 hours because of one of their routers in Southampton, which I eventually persuaded my isp to trace and locate. The shard was fine, players connecting to it from USA and Mainland Europe were fine, so the Devs of the time were unaware of any problem. Took a while to convince my isp that I knew what I was talking about so they investigated the problem, but it did get solved in the end - though I think Suddenlink lost the contract shortly after.
    edited January 9
    Troll posts have been removed. HeavySmoker obviously has an issue in addition to the reported shard instability but attacking each other isn't going to fix it. please try to be helpful and constructive, if trolling persists I will lock this thread.
  • Mariah said:
    Troll posts have been removed. HeavySmoker obviously has an issue in addition to the reported shard instability but attacking each other isn't going to fix it. please try to be helpful and constructive, if trolling persists I will lock this thread.
    Thank you very much I appreciate that. +1

• The strongest possibility that I can see is that there's a problem with your route to the server, your end is fine, the shard is fine - otherwise everyone would have the problem, it's somewhere in between that the problem lies

I vividly recall a time years ago when EA were using Suddenlink for routing, UK was cut off from Europa for 8 hours because of one of their routers in Southampton, which I eventually persuaded my isp to trace and locate. The shard was fine, players connecting to it from USA and Mainland Europe were fine, so the Devs of the time were unaware of any problem. Took a while to convince my isp that I knew what I was talking about so they investigated the problem, but it did get solved in the end - though I think Suddenlink lost the contract shortly after.

Yep, players had the same issue when I was admin on Hybrid freeshard, I also had the issue at the time, it was looked into and it was a problem with the server host and the route, most players were fine, but there was about 5% that couldn't even play, they upgraded their server location and never heard another complaint. (Not saying I want them to change server locations for me) but I would at least like to know that the issue has been addressed and heard and investigated before deactivating my accounts due to not being able to play. (I have no lag on any freeshard, game, etc running the same client)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    edited January 9
    Doesn't UO use AWS servers,  I think they have robot hamsters, they do not use some mom and pop server where you call Grandma to reboot the server.

The first place to start is:
    run full file check
    your router, get an upgraded one from your provider. 
    still problems, ask the provider why you cant connect.
    get a new provider
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited January 9
    Can you explain why I only lose packets when tracing the UO servers? Can you explain why I do not lag on any other games? Can you explain why I do not lag on any free shards? Im sure that there is no way possible that it can be on the Ultima Onlines servers side... considering they have been crashing once a week smh.
    Can you explain why I only lose packets when tracing the UO servers? Can you explain why I do not lag on any other games? Can you explain why I do not lag on any free shards? Im sure that there is no way possible that it can be on the Ultima Onlines servers side... considering they have been crashing once a week smh.
    All I know is hundreds of people are playing UO all day long.  When a problem only affects you then it is probably not the Amazon servers fault.

Have you tried on a different computer in the house?
  • No but the reason I know it MAY be the host of the server is because if you read my previous posts I have dealt with a large playerbase with the same issues that happened on the freeshard I was ADMIN on. We had a problem with our host, not everyone was effected only certain people in certain locations that used certain ROUTES. We have had issues with the server crashing for 2-3 months now, to rule it out completely is just silly.
    edited January 10
    Can you explain why I only lose packets when tracing the UO servers? 
    I've already told you why. Continual asking isn't going to change the fact. No, no one is going to explain it to you. If you want an explanation once again I will reiterate: learn networking. If you push your ego aside and actually READ what I posted in my first reply you will realize that's all the information you need. But you decided I was trolling so shrug.

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • So your solution is to tell anyone to "master a topic" instead of asking a question. That makes sense, you provided no value other than "Learn networking", very interesting concept, but thank you for the advice.
    edited January 10
    Smoker, 
    I'm not very computer literate. In your images from the ping on the client it says lost 0, so no lost packets.
    the command prompt you done i think only sends one packet so also won't tell you if you're losing packets.

I think its normal to have those blank spaces

edited January 11
    Covfefe said:
    Smoker, 
    I'm not very computer literate. In your images from the ping on the client it says lost 0, so no lost packets.
    the command prompt you done i think only sends one packet so also won't tell you if you're losing packets.
    OP can't figure out when something says it's 0 it's 0. It has been explained to them ad nauseum but they're too dense and don't want to listen.

Once again I'll mention that I've explained it all in my first reply.

@Mariah @Rorschach think it's that time...

• MacroPlanetMacroPlanet Posts: 73
    edited January 11
    username said:
    Covfefe said:
    Smoker, 
    OP can't figure out when something says it's 0 it's 0. It has been explained to them ad nauseum but they're too dense and don't want to listen.

@ Mariah @ Rorschach think it's that time...
    They’re seeking help. The issue in question hasn’t been answered, so why push these buttons?

Please let this thread stay open as we can further investigate this issue and not close it down unresolved. 

I’ve also experienced this issue in the past and even today on my PC. Its going to sound odd, but my MacBook with Parallels runs perfect. However my PC would lag hard on the 3D client and spike every minute on the 2D client. Other MMO’s such as WoW, Black Desert Online and Guild Wars 2 run fine as do any other online game. Although the issue with UO persisted. Eventually I ditched it all together and just play on my Mac on an external, works fine. 

So I understand your issues HeavySmoker.  
    edited January 11
    username said:
    Covfefe said:
    Smoker, 

@ Mariah @ Rorschach think it's that time...
    They’re seeking help. The issue in question hasn’t been answered, so why push these buttons?

Please let this thread stay open as we can further investigate this issue and not close it down unresolved. 

I’ve also experienced this issue in the past and even today on my PC. Its going to sound odd, but my MacBook with Parallels runs perfect. However my PC would lag hard on the 3D client and spike every minute on the 2D client. Other MMO’s such as WoW, Black Desert Online and Guild Wars 2 run fine as do any other online game. Although the issue with UO persisted. Eventually I ditched it all together and just play on my Mac on an external, works fine. 

So I understand your issues HeavySmoker.  
    YES IT HAS:

Why am I getting packet loss
    >You're not getting packet loss
    Shows picture of 0 packet loss Why am I getting packet loss?
    >You're not getting packet loss. It says 0.
    Well when I tracert i get packet loss
    >That's not packet loss
    Why does it show those hosts as blank and no ping
    >That's not packet loss
    Why am I getting packet loss
    >You show no proof of packet loss

??????????????????????

Round and round we goooooooooooooooooooo.

When the OP DEMONSTRATES THAT HE IS GETTING PACKET LOSS WE CAN HELP.
    THE OP IS NOT GETTING PACKET LOSS, THEREFORE: (can anyone fill this in?).

Why troll? What is so hard to understand?

edited January 11
    username said:
    Your first image is not packet loss. Those servers are ICMP blocking.

Your second image I'm guessing shows illegal 3rd party clients, well done. Again 0 packet loss.

Your 3rd image is a bandwidth test, not a ping test, and is pretty irrelevant.

UO can run on a sega genesis so that's an odd/unnecessary flex 'very high end computer'.

So no idea where you are getting this idea of packet loss from? Learn networking.

PLEASE READ

He should open all the normal things he runs and then open Task Manager to see if his CPU usage or memory is slowing him down.

With all the things I have open while playing UO, I would not be able to use a 1990s game console to play UO comfortably.