Extreme Packetloss

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 3,003Moderator
    Perhaps it would help to clarify that when a server is ICMP blocked it will not reply to ping requests. Request timed out does not mean packets are lost, it means the server is passing on information packets but is ignoring your ping request.
  • HeavySmokerHeavySmoker Posts: 50
    edited January 13
    Have contacted provider again, no issues with hardware, no issues that they can find on their end "they tried opening my NAT (whatever that does) that did not help, they claim it is also something on the servers end. Have reinstalled every aspect of the game, updated all drivers, tried things like "exitlag" that was recommended (does not work) as I do not have any "lag", I believe I have played ultima online enough in my life to understand the difference between "Lag/Rubberband lag/Packetloss"... I can still type, drink potions, do anything else, but my character will not move and just locks up. Have tried different clients/fresh installs no macros no profiles, all with the same outcome, have tried different SERVERS with no issue..
    edited January 13
    Pawain said:
    He should open all the normal things he runs and then open Task Manager to see if his CPU usage or memory is slowing him down.

With all the things I have open while playing UO, I would not be able to use a 1990s game console to play UO comfortably.

Tyvm for the suggestion, I have been at this for a few weeks now, of course I have tried closing every single thing possible that doesn't HAVE to be running and only tried running UO, does not make a difference. I have played on the server for 2 years, never had any lag unless random here or there when everyone else lagged as well, again have not done anything different, have not changed computers/connections/macros/characters/clients/hotkeys I literally do the same thing when I get on the game. Have had 3 games running at once, with literally 30 tabs of firefox and never had issues on UO as I built my computer to handle anything a few years ago. Sorry for the ranting details, but trying to cover everything Ive tested before people say "try closing programs", all suggestions are appreciated.

Again, NO UO FREESHARD, NO OTHER GAMES have any lag whatsoever, and especially not "stutter" type lag where everything else is moving fine, and you can type/do actions but character is locked up. I can literally watch people running around me attacking me, not lagging at all and my character is frozen in place for 2-3 seconds, moves for 1 second, freezes for 2-3 seconds.. Lag is literally everything is frozen, you unfreeze then other people are in different locations etc. This IS packet loss.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,424
    edited January 13
    I realize you cant answer this question here, are you a NJ tester ...
  • https://www.uoforum.com/threads/character-freezing-hitting-wall.23162/ This person describes his very exact issue, but of course on a freeshard. Server issue as well.
    edited January 13

• Ran around for a bit im assuming this shows no packet loss? However when I looked and I started stuttering my ping for this spot was over 100
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,271
    @Mariah Would it be possible to list all the shards addresses and maintenance times.  There also use to be a page on UO about system requirements, can't find it.  Is it possible to include a link to UOTrace, it was an approved program.  All of this info should be included on this page https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,003Moderator
    Maintenance times are here:
    System requirements are here:

UOTrace used to be a download from EA, I'm not sure if it's still available.

I do not have a current shard address list
    @Bleak is that something that could be available?

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,301
    edited January 13
    Have contacted provider again, no issues with hardware, no issues that they can find on their end "they tried opening my NAT (whatever that does) that did not help, they claim it is also something on the servers end. Have reinstalled every aspect of the game, updated all drivers, tried things like "exitlag" that was recommended (does not work) as I do not have any "lag", I believe I have played ultima online enough in my life to understand the difference between "Lag/Rubberband lag/Packetloss"... I can still type, drink potions, do anything else, but my character will not move and just locks up. Have tried different clients/fresh installs no macros no profiles, all with the same outcome, have tried different SERVERS with no issue..

You will laugh, but I had this issue for a couple of months, was very frustrating...

Turns out the right hand mouse button of my very high end gaming mouse was failing, which you do not really use in any other software, and it's stutters resulted in my character locking up and stuff when moving...

I thought it was lag, I thought it was server issues, I tested everything, I re-downloaded everything, could not find the problem anywhere, then the mouse button completely failed lol.

Change your mouse, see if it helps :)
  • GodivaGodiva Posts: 6
    The game has been unplayable for the past week roughly. 10 seconds lag every 3 tiles.

lag.JPG 82.3K
    Mariah said:
    Maintenance times are here:
    System requirements are here:

UOTrace used to be a download from EA, I'm not sure if it's still available.

I do not have a current shard address list
    @ Bleak is that something that could be available?

TY for the info, but still think it should be in one place under here https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/
  • Cookie said:

You will laugh, but I had this issue for a couple of months, was very frustrating...

Turns out the right hand mouse button of my very high end gaming mouse was failing, which you do not really use in any other software, and it's stutters resulted in my character locking up and stuff when moving...

I thought it was lag, I thought it was server issues, I tested everything, I re-downloaded everything, could not find the problem anywhere, then the mouse button completely failed lol.

Change your mouse, see if it helps :)
    Interesting, tried this just for giggles, used auto run by right clicking and left clicking, same issue :(

edited January 13
    Godiva said:
    The game has been unplayable for the past week roughly. 10 seconds lag every 3 tiles.

Something to do with the route of the server, you can see the last one it pinged on my test went super high compared to the rest, I find it odd we can't even get a comment from the server admins to playing customers, but the moment you cuss theyre on your ass to ban you.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,143
    The server admin would be Jeff Bezos. Email him.
    JeffyB@amazon.com
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Damn he bought the UO Servers? Thats a bad dude
  • VenomVenom Posts: 24
    With the VPN, depending on your network settings for that, even if you're NOT using the VPN connection, can produce a variety of issues. I was split tunnelling for Halo Infinity to not run through my VPN, but the network settings from the VPN still prevented me from connecting properly to Microsoft's servers. I wonder if you're having a similar issue.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,143
    Damn he bought the UO Servers? Thats a bad dude
    Few companies have their own servers. Most are hosted by a third party.  
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Venom said:
    With the VPN, depending on your network settings for that, even if you're NOT using the VPN connection, can produce a variety of issues. I was split tunnelling for Halo Infinity to not run through my VPN, but the network settings from the VPN still prevented me from connecting properly to Microsoft's servers. I wonder if you're having a similar issue.

I do not use a VPN.

Pawain said:
    Damn he bought the UO Servers? Thats a bad dude
    Few companies have their own servers. Most are hosted by a third party.  

When I say "servers" I mean "Atlantic etc", I know they use someone else as a HOST... Their host is obviously having issues and needs to be alerted and looked into, this is why the SHARDS crash often and no one investigates they just reload the shards.
  • VenomVenom Posts: 24
    Heavysmoker,

I noticed in your original post you mentioned turning on a VPN. Just for clarity, you don't have a VPN application installed (even if you're not using it)?

Thanks,
    Venom
    edited January 16
    Venom said:
    Heavysmoker,

I noticed in your original post you mentioned turning on a VPN. Just for clarity, you don't have a VPN application installed (even if you're not using it)?

Thanks,
    Venom

Ive had a VPN for years, I have played Atlantic for the last 2 years with no new installations, no new macros, no new anything. Again I play with the same setup, same everything, nothing has changed on my end of things at all. I don't randomly install stuff to my computer (other than this UOTrace program to address my issue), VPN has nothing to do with it as the only time I used a VPN before on UO is when they host large events (I do not attend the events, I know there is an event going on just based on the lag in Felucca even when the event is held in trammel) I experience EXTREME LAG/LOSS, soon as I turn on a VPN it solves my issue right away and I can play the game.. The VPN does not solve this issue as I tested it multiple times and have the same outcome.

It's funny that I can identify an event is taking place without even knowing of an event, just based on lag because I pretty much never lag at all. Something is screwed up on their end sadly they will never address or look into the issue obviously. They use budget friendly server hosts to run the game, which is understandable, but at least look into the server or the game forums when people still pay the bills and keep the lights on.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,960
    Venom said:
    Heavysmoker,

Thanks,
    Venom

Ive had a VPN for years, I have played Atlantic for the last 2 years with no new installations, no new macros, no new anything. Again I play with the same setup, same everything, nothing has changed on my end of things at all. I don't randomly install stuff to my computer (other than this UOTrace program to address my issue), VPN has nothing to do with it as the only time I used a VPN before on UO is when they host large events (I do not attend the events, I know there is an event going on just based on the lag in Felucca even when the event is held in trammel) I experience EXTREME LAG/LOSS, soon as I turn on a VPN it solves my issue right away and I can play the game.. The VPN does not solve this issue as I tested it multiple times and have the same outcome.

It's funny that I can identify an event is taking place without even knowing of an event, just based on lag because I pretty much never lag at all. Something is screwed up on their end sadly they will never address or look into the issue obviously. They use budget friendly server hosts to run the game, which is understandable, but at least look into the server or the game forums when people still pay the bills and keep the lights on.
     soon as I turn on a VPN it solves my issue right away and I can play the game.. 

Out of curiosity, if I may ask.... why would, using a VPN, help reducing the lag when playing UO ?

What is technically favouring using a VPN as compared to not using a VPN to reduce lag when playing Ultima Online ?

Isn't the routing the same, regardless whether one used a VPN or not ?
    I only came back 3 months ago and moved all my stuff to Atlantic because there is nobody on my home shard Drachenfels. But I will have to cancel the two accounts, because the game is now absolutely unplayable with this route from Europe to Atlantic for the past 2-3 weeks.
    edited January 16
    double post due to lag lol
  • Godiva said:
    I only came back 3 months ago and moved all my stuff to Atlantic because there is nobody on my home shard Drachenfels. But I will have to cancel the two accounts, because the game is now absolutely unplayable with this route from Europe to Atlantic for the past 2-3 weeks.

+1
    popps said:
    Venom said:
    Heavysmoker,

Thanks,
    Venom

soon as I turn on a VPN it solves my issue right away and I can play the game.. 

Out of curiosity, if I may ask.... why would, using a VPN, help reducing the lag when playing UO ?

What is technically favouring using a VPN as compared to not using a VPN to reduce lag when playing Ultima Online ?

Isn't the routing the same, regardless whether one used a VPN or not ?

Trust me brother I have no clue, I just had the weird idea to try it one day pvping with a buddy, and it worked.. then about 8 other times they were having events unplayable for me, turned on VPN and was 40 ping higher but no lag at all. The VPN does not solve this issue.
    Ok the VPN got me thinking. Got me a free one just for testing and lo and behold the connection to Atlantic from Germany is so much better when simulating US/New York.
    This is without VPN atm

and this with

Latency is worse which is to be expected when using a vpn, but the incredible packet loss which makes the game unplayable is gone. Since the routing is now completely different, the culprit must be on one of the servers in between. I will keep this under close watch.
  • Godiva said:
    Ok the VPN got me thinking. Got me a free one just for testing and lo and behold the connection to Atlantic from Germany is so much better when simulating US/New York.
    This is without VPN atm

and this with

Latency is worse which is to be expected when using a vpn, but the incredible packet loss which makes the game unplayable is gone. Since the routing is now completely different, the culprit must be on one of the servers in between. I will keep this under close watch.
    Exactly, and people blow me off and say its my pc and connection, I know it is a problem on their end with their budget servers. But without being a dick Im trying to explain the problem instead of going crazy and telling them to fix their shit, but either way they do not look into the problem or fix it. Im glad someone else is experiencing and seeing what I am talking about, very interesting the VPN changes the issue huh? Im telling you when they have an event I HAVE to turn on VPN in order to play, but with this new issue, nothing works for me.. I don't even log in anymore, just a waste of time for me, not sure why I still pay per month at this rate.

Godiva said:
    This is without VPN atm

and this with

Exactly, and people blow me off and say its my pc and connection, I know it is a problem on their end with their budget servers. But without being a dick Im trying to explain the problem instead of going crazy and telling them to fix their shit, but either way they do not look into the problem or fix it. Im glad someone else is experiencing and seeing what I am talking about, very interesting the VPN changes the issue huh? Im telling you when they have an event I HAVE to turn on VPN in order to play, but with this new issue, nothing works for me.. I don't even log in anymore, just a waste of time for me, not sure why I still pay per month at this rate.

LOL  What ever the VPN bypassed is the problem not the UO servers.
  • Godiva said:
    This is without VPN atm

and this with

LOL  What ever the VPN bypassed is the problem not the UO servers.

We are talking about the "SERVER HOST" You know the thing that runs the actual uo shards? Yeah, those.
This discussion has been closed.