Going Gumshoe...

1235»

Comments

• jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I do have a crafter Merv I just don't have room on her for lumberjacking, please give it a rest, you are just trolling now!
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,733
    jaytin said:
    Not everyone has a crafter, not everyone has all gathering and crafting skills. 
    I see from your profile that you play Europa - so do I.  You may not have those skills, but I do. What do you need? pm me a list.
    how does one PM here?
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,678
    Drakelord said:
    jaytin said:
    Not everyone has a crafter, not everyone has all gathering and crafting skills. 
    I see from your profile that you play Europa - so do I.  You may not have those skills, but I do. What do you need? pm me a list.
    how does one PM here?
    click on the persons name and it will bring up there page. click message
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    2 points 
    1. You only need to do the quest once, you just need the neckless on to enter the camp.
    2. If you'r logging to make spell books you need gm to get bark to make paper (yah I'm happy about that too)
    so much drama shaking head emoji
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,788
    The Hiding and Stealth skills did come in handy in the cemeteries for my other characters.  Just could not move fast and had to take lots of breaks to keep stealth engaged.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    Please keep the thread topical.
  • Would be nice if whoever placed the house INSIDE the Glow cemetery to block the view of the trapdoor could get banned forever and ahve that house demo'd
  • What shard is that ?   Housing was blocked for all grave yards years ago....  only one I know which had a grandfathered house is vesper's.  I believe that house is now gone too.

Ok @Kyronix ;  I have had enough of the hunt and peck of the book in this gumshoe quest line...

3 days of hunting for it is enough.  If this is meant to keep people from getting too far in the khaldun bit  you sure did a bang up job of it.  Consider me out of the running  I quit this maddening quest!.  If you need to get your jollies in thwarting players in this manner ..good luck in your next job hunt... As I expect many to have tossed their hands up and left as well.   If Petra and Larissa had a hell of a time finding it just think of the lesser enabled player..  In total I spent 10 hours looking for this book.. and have yet to find it.   So in my book this suxs buttermilk.

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,174
    My suggestion, Lady Storm, is to wait until the book moves into the back room where the Cryptologist is, there are less bookcases to search back there and it's a bit easier. 

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,118Dev

What shard is that ?   Housing was blocked for all grave yards years ago....  only one I know which had a grandfathered house is vesper's.  I believe that house is now gone too.

Ok @ Kyronix   I have had enough of the hunt and peck of the book in this gumshoe quest line...

3 days of hunting for it is enough.  If this is meant to keep people from getting too far in the khaldun bit  you sure did a bang up job of it.  Consider me out of the running  I quit this maddening quest!.  If you need to get your jollies in thwarting players in this manner ..good luck in your next job hunt... As I expect many to have tossed their hands up and left as well.   If Petra and Larissa had a hell of a time finding it just think of the lesser enabled player..  In total I spent 10 hours looking for this book.. and have yet to find it.   So in my book this suxs buttermilk.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm sorry you are having a frustrating time.  I generally appreciate all feedback good and bad, I don't, however, think its necessary to make assumptions about my future employment prospects.  

That being said, if you feel can you can engage in a respectful exchange I'm happy to offer some insight.  My first question would be, what is the detecting hidden skill of the character you are trying to complete the task on?

You guys REALLY need a like button...

Anyway, I've done it on both elven and human characters with 0 skill. The first day I searched for an hour and a half and gave up, the next morning I found it within 3 minutes. Since then I have been able to find it in a reasonable amount of time...less then 10-15 minutes and in different rooms, I only suggest waiting until it's in the back room due to the fact that there are fewer bookcases to search.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    I’ve already said it but it seems it’s necessary to repeat. I am enjoying this quest, think it’s quite interesting and well thought out, I’ve had no problems locating the book. Very impressed with the caddellite buff. Not so pleased with the tram only camp oversight. Impressed with the quick fix on recalling into the camp.

would like to see caddellite armour be necessary to resist Khaldun creatures. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Despite finding the new content a bit frustrating (I am now GM lumberjack so I can move on!) I do think a lot of thought and work went into the quest and the crafting part. We all make a fuss and whine and get annoyed but we do appreciate the time and effort spent by the Dev team on our behalf. I think the Detective part was maybe badly worded in a couple of places and the moving book is making some people a bit crazy but overall the ideas were good, so thank you all for your hard work.
    Kyronix should get the title 'The Unflappable' no matter what is said to him or how it is said he never loses his cool, he is a true gentleman!  :)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,033
    edited September 2018
    @Kyronix

"Thanks for your feedback, I'm sorry you are having a frustrating time.  I generally appreciate all feedback good and bad, I don't, however, think its necessary to make assumptions about my future employment prospects. "

You can stay on UO as long as you make some of the lesser used pets have the same end build as  Cu or Hiryu.  Skree, Ram, Dread Spider, Bake Kitsune, Ki Rin, and others but start with the Ki rin.   They will not be Overpowered.   Start with the Ki rin.    Thanks :)
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • @Kyronix ; sorry for that bit  I was very angry at the amount of time I spent at this book finding. I will state that I am not one to quit  but I do run the quests as given  but this time I have given myself a super migraine looking for the book.  I have tried the bit of waiting till I get the message in the  cryptographers room.. I went over those book cases at least 5 times... thinking it was like the hit on the area a few times it should pop up visable...  nope.

detect hidden is slow   ok I can see why it would fit right in the quest  it has a element of seek and find which some like to do.  I am known for having the patience to pick apart most tangles..be it jewelry or yarn balls hehe    This I found is the straw that broke my camels back.  

I really tried   I have read all the posts in both stratics and here on this book finding and after a total of over 10 hours of looking I had to toss my hand up and say uncle. Im not one to do this normaly.

I do hope you forgive my ire and I am sorry for the quip   

Make sure you are clicking the books and not the top of the shelf. 
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,118Dev

@ Kyronix  sorry for that bit  I was very angry at the amount of time I spent at this book finding. I will state that I am not one to quit  but I do run the quests as given  but this time I have given myself a super migraine looking for the book.  I have tried the bit of waiting till I get the message in the  cryptographers room.. I went over those book cases at least 5 times... thinking it was like the hit on the area a few times it should pop up visable...  nope.

detect hidden is slow   ok I can see why it would fit right in the quest  it has a element of seek and find which some like to do.  I am known for having the patience to pick apart most tangles..be it jewelry or yarn balls hehe    This I found is the straw that broke my camels back.  

I really tried   I have read all the posts in both stratics and here on this book finding and after a total of over 10 hours of looking I had to toss my hand up and say uncle. Im not one to do this normaly.

I do hope you forgive my ire and I am sorry for the quip   

I appreciate the sentiments, and appreciate the passion that you, and many have for our little world - keeps me at the keyboard each day!  I also appreciate your apology and of course forgive you.

The key to finding the bookcase with the hidden text is to make sure you have enough detecting hidden skill (the more you have, the better) and to search in the room where you get your message about finding the books.  Good luck!
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,385
    Ya lucky I have soul stones to transfer my 100 DH to other characters other wise I would be a bit POed as well 
  • OMG.... hehe @Kyronix ;  Hun in all my 21 + years in UO and owning 54 accounts I only have 1 gm DH ...and he is on Siege!!  its fantastic for t hunters.

Now that explains my poor crafter's luck.   

I have done this quest on 4 characters, 3 humans and one elf, all with ZERO detect hidden and have completed it each time.

I managed it with no detect hidden it only took about 20 minutes to find the book, but we did search the same shelf 3 times.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,733
    I really had only one problem where it took forever to find the book, Pacific.
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • The book part of the quest is very not fun & annoying...respectfully. We don't all have 5 hours to look for it.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 269
    Any suggestions please? I just came back a few days ago & have been doing the Gumshoe Quest.

My gargoyle character gets NO message when looking for the book. I've clicked Harrison numerous times & get his gump telling me to look for the book. I've tried on foot & flying (thought maybe flying was bugged). I've run around the Lycaeum for hours over 2 days now & not once gotten the "Your keen senses..." message.

I've tried detect hidden each bookcase regardless of never seeing the message, to no avail.
    Any possible help to get this quest finished would be  GREATLY appreciated.

I'm about to give up.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,033
    You have to buy points in DH from an NPC for a Gargoyle to find the book.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 269
    Ok...   I oil clothed off my savage paint, soulstoned off a skill, went & bought 29 Detect Hidden from the Guildmaster Thief in Cove then went back to the Lycaeum.

Found the book after getting the "Your keen senses...." message on the 1st bookcase I clicked. Wasn't aware you needed actual Detect Hidden skill since I'd been able to do the quest up to this point w/ zero real skill.

*Problem Solved*