Crafting a Mage Luck Suit for the Mini Abominations

PawainPawain Posts: 9,042
edited February 2023 in General Discussions
Do not be intimidated when considering crafting a Luck suit.  This whole suit was way easier than trying to make a not perfect but OK Dex armor item.

Before you actually begin crafting, you should download the document in the First post in this thread.
https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10175/crafting-elemental-weapons-and-luck-suits-with-max-resists-step-by-step

Notice he is concentrating on getting Maximum Resists.

I decided to craft a mage suit. for my Tamer/Mage.  I do not have enough patience to do it the most effective way. So I put together a suit and will critique the outcome.

You should use pieces with low Physical resists because when you Enhance with Spined Leather to get the extra 40 Luck, you will add 9 points to the physical resist of that piece.

Since this is a mage suit I am using a medable material, Leather. 

I made 15 pieces of each item. Then followed the reforging Guide above. I was able to get 150 Luck with just those 15 items or fewer. So that fits my lack of patience. So, How well did they turn out?

You always get points in Luck and one other random stat.  So that is two of the 5 stats you can imbue. Those cost points and an imbue spot.

Depending upon how important the total resistance is, you usually want to have max in as many as possible.  We do not know how damaging the Mini Abominations will be or what type damage they will do.

See Picture Below, Sorry for a long post.

1. The Cap.  Yes you have to use a cap or Petra said a circlet is medable and can be Enhanced.
No other medable helmets can be enhanced.  When we look at the cap I hit the 150 Luck but my random Stat was Physical Resist.  Well Darn, not a keeper.

2. The Gloves. Got the 150 Luck, But I rolled an Eater.  Oh, that sounds good, you take less damage.
The problem with an eater is that 12% takes 75 points and a an imbuing spot. It could be worse, damage eater 12% takes 180 points.  So, not a keeper unless you can afford the over all of not having a different stat.

3. The sleeves.  Well another eater. What you may prefer is that random stat was a resistance.

4. The legs.  Here I hit Mana Regen 2.  Not bad. 2 is also the most you can Imbue. So if you were planning to add some Mana regen to the suit, this is a keeper.

5. The Gorget.  I found this on VS and the price was too good to not buy. So we can break down how it was created. He rolled 150 Luck. Now something is off with the rest. You can imbue those values of MR LMC and LRC but you can not imbue 23 Resist. So it looks like I got a good deal on this item, Did he use a Anvil of Artifacts for the resist? He used a Forged metal when he Enhanced it. Defiantly a keeper.
Notice how it took my fire resist to 70!

6. The chest.  I did not make this item. I have a few lying around. You can buy a cursed one for 20M or less. This is a cheat item.  I got it for the 40 LRC. It does lower your resists but it has the Luck and 40LRC. There are mages that have used this item for many years, it is the upgrade to Rune Beetle Carapace.  You can make a chest and just have 10 less luck but not the LRC.

Those are the 6 armor pieces.

7. The sword. A lot of players use the two handed luck sword, There is also a 2 handed staff with Luck.
But, a one handed sword and shield give you 380 Luck once enhanced I can put Spell Channeling on this.

8.The Shield. I bought this cheap on VS, it saved me time.

Jewelry.  You can find jewels for less than 10k with 150 Luck. You can use the Novue Blue set.

9. My Ring.  I really like Compassions Eye. One of my mages uses it for the stats. 20 SDI 20 LRC.
A ring made for a Mage.  Around 10M on VS.

10. The Bracelet.  Another cheat item. 200 Luck and 20 resist in all! Perfect for a Luck suit.

11. The Earrings.  The only Luck earrings we have are Yukio's. Luckily not shard bound. I bought a bunch when they were 100M and less on Atlantic. SDI 15 for a mage.

12. The Robe.  You can go with a group to Blackthorns and kill all the captains in two cities and possibly be able to buy these.  Or you can Use robe of the Equinox/Eclipse with 90 Luck.

13. The Talisman. Lucky Charm.  Can get with clean up points.

14. The Shoes.  Minax sandals. About 40 to 50M. 

I can enhance 6 more Items in this suit.  6 x 40 is 240. I have to decide if I need that.

There is no Luck Belt or Sash.  I am not wearing a Cloak.  So I can get some more stats with those items.

So that is a mostly crafted suit.  The amount of crafted Luck pieces have increased significantly on Atlantic VS.  The prices have actually dropped for crafted pieces.  The prices have increased for Runics. You can buy 150 luck pieces pretty cheap or buy the Enhanced 190 pieces.  Saves you from having to buy the Forged Metal of Artifacts.

So weigh your time and gold costs to see what is a better option for you.  I would spend 200M+ on a Pig that I do not have. But I am not going to spend that on a Luck suit.

For the final critique of this suit, I probably am not patient enough to make another Cap, sleeves and gloves.  This toon will have a pet, invis when the Thorn is planted and attack the Rabbit with the pet.
So really he does not need those added resistances.  He only needs 100% LRC. Some more LMC would be nice.  

I could actually try wearing it as it is and see if this is enough Luck to get an egg.  If not then I would need to Enhance it.

So, That is a crafted mostly Luck Suit.

Good Luck with your suit!  Have fun Killing stuff!
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,042
    edited February 2023
    Make sure you do things in the correct order or you will mess up an item.

Make the armor out of plain leather with a crafter with Arms Lore for free added resistances.

Reforge following the Guide @Riner was kind enough to make for us.

Powder of Fortification each piece you plan to keep to max. ( you can not PoF an item that is imbued)

Imbue the items.

Get a Forged Metal of artifacts to Enhance with the correct material.  (this adds 2 properties and the weight will be too high to imbue more.) 
    For incentive, A player on LS got this tonight from Scalis corpse.
    This can be enhanced to 190 Luck!

See I'm too broke to buy good Luck stuff, too much deco. We had an auction Monday night.
    edited February 2023
    To Increase Luck from the above suit.

Look at those Resists!
    With the Bracelet and these items, you do not need to worry about resists! And 25LRC! 10LMC!
    Mask is medable.

Every item you wear will have luck except for Belt and Sash.

EASY BUTTON!

edited February 2023
    Since each of the 150 items took me less than 15 tries. You could benefit from using an Anvil of Artifacts to get higher resistances.

Last post. Good Night.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    @Pawain ;
    I have to admit I speed read as its a long write up with quite a bit of details. If I take a step back and ask what should the optimal final specs look like. What is the optimal balance, and achievable luck v sdi ratio. 

e.g. can we do a 2000 : 150, luck vs sdi?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,386
    nice write up ! ty
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,257
    edited February 2023
    This is how I did it - I veered away from too much Crafting, and used Event items mainly, but I do use crafted to fill in, I don't even try and max the crafted bits, just go for basic Imbued. The thing about this set - is just how many of the items you can get from events, or bosses.
    Etoile Bleue + Novo Bleue + Lucky Charm = Clean-up rewards.
    Minax boots - roof. Epaulettes - Blackthorns.
    Mark of Wildfire + Serpents Quiver = Events.
    Gloves + Sleeves + Leggings = Basic Imbuing.
    Sword + Shield = Top end Crafters - but relatively cheap.
    Armour of Fortune - cannot even remember where that comes from anymore.
    Fully Medable - good balanced stats. +1000 Luck from the Anniversary Statue.

Hit right mouse click - open image in new tab - to see the full sized picture.

Seth said:
    @ Pawain 
    I have to admit I speed read as its a long write up with quite a bit of details. If I take a step back and ask what should the optimal final specs look like. What is the optimal balance, and achievable luck v sdi ratio. 

Since this is specific for one event, we do not know how difficult the mini Abominations will be.  Also until more testing is done we do not know the amount of luck needed to get an egg  every time.

Since I'll be using a pet, I hope I can go with just the SDI on the suit above.

For a caster you could forgo the weapon and arms to get a decent amount of SDI in those two slots. Also the guy above could get 5 from jumus. Another reason the ring is very nice.

I would dread making a Luck suit for a dexxer. I love my dex stats.

So I'll wait and finish the pieces after the event begins. Your ratio may work just fine. 

And casual players would use their luck statue for an hour each day and stop.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    @ Pawain 

Since this is specific for one event, we do not know how difficult the mini Abominations will be.  Also until more testing is done we do not know the amount of luck needed to get an egg  every time.

For a caster you could forgo the weapon and arms to get a decent amount of SDI in those two slots. Also the guy above could get 5 from jumus. Another reason the ring is very nice.

So I'll wait and finish the pieces after the event begins. Your ratio may work just fine. 

@Pawain

Since you mention using a pet for the mini Abominations Spawn, which pet or pets do you think will be most appropriate for this particular Spawn ?
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    @ Pawain 

@ Pawain

Since you mention using a pet for the mini Abominations Spawn, which pet or pets do you think will be most appropriate for this particular Spawn ?
    The Abomination is the Rabbit that will appear when you plant a thorn. We do not know its resists so we do not know which pet type will damage it the most.  On Test Center they used a Vortex Bunny to simulate it.  That mob has resists lower than 10. So any pet would work on it. It also did very little damage.  

We assume that evil Kyronix will make a new mob that has resists and does damage. But, we will have to wait to see it on Origin, Baja.

The spawn does not need luck.  Kyronix said it will be in a swamp. The creatures are swamp creatures, Skrees and Dread Spiders.  Again we do not know if he will use those exact things. 
    But, the basic swamp creatures will be used in the lower levels. You have time to go lore those now if your favorite pet can not kill all of them.

So if these two events run concurrently, we will use a Luck suit when planting thorns then change to our killing suit to do the spawn so we can kill as much mass quantities as we can in the first two rounds, which will be boglings and such.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,996
    The only difference is for warriors i used studded and the new talisman with 100 luck 
    Tonight some advanced reforging info.  Heads will spin, but do not get discouraged.
    Ill try to divide into smaller bits in each post.

Each runic has a minimum and maximum number of stats that it can put on the item.
    Those are kinda based on the info on this page. This page is not for reforging it is for crafting with one of the runics instead of a plain tool. https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/runic-bonuses/
    You have to do some reforging to see how many stats can go on with a specific runic.

A Spined Runic will put on 2 to 4 properties.  4 is pretty rare.  Sometimes you want the maximum amount of properties, making a pure mage or dexxer suit you would want to use a Barbed Runic and get 5 properties, because they can be at higher values than imbuing.
    You can imbue/reforge up to 5 properties on an item.

How do you tell how many stats were put on your item?  Sometimes you can just look and see, sometimes it will add a small amount to a resist and you will not notice it at a glance.

So, after you reforge the piece, Open the imbuing menu and click the reforged piece.  Choose a stat that is not on the item and pretend you are going to imbue that on. The menu will tell you what number property you are about to imbue.

If it says:

Properties 3/5 that means the item has 2 properties on it. You are about to make the 3rd.

You can imbue over values. Lets say you reforged 19 poison resist.  You can reimbue that property and it does not add an imbue to the 5.  You can make it higher or lower, but you can never 0 it out or remove a property that was imbued/reforged.  when you lower a value, you get those intensity points returned.

You can change a slayer on a weapon to a different slayer if the new one is the same or less points if you are at intensity cap.

But pay attention, you can only imbue an item 20 times. The count appears in this same menu.
    A newly reforged piece says 0/20.

edited February 2023
    I decided to make some new gloves for a different luck suit and then decided to make a new cap to replace the one with the eater.

I only kept items with 3 or 4 Physical resist this time. Rarely you can make a 2 resist item.

We are going to go over what was put on the item and decide what is a keeper and what is not.

You have to take into consideration how many stats were put on and the intensity value of those properties.

Since you are putting on a minimum of 2 properties. You would prefer to be able to add 3 more full intensity properties.

The luck takes 150 points.  Many other properties at max intensity use 100 points. So because the luck takes 150 points of the 500 total intensity, you only have 350 points so there is no possibility that you can add 4 more 100 intensity properties.

So, an item that gets 2 properties will usually just allow you to get 2 maximum intensity properties
    and maybe a partial 3rd property.

Next post you can open the picture and put it in a different tab and put the post in another tab next to it so you can see the item and read about it.
    edited February 2023
    We are going to pretend each item rolled 150 Luck and critique them and see which
     are keepers and which are not. They all have luck so I am just going to say and critique the added properties.

Look at them and see which you would keep at first glance, then I'll get technical and you can see if you chose good pieces.

1. This one just added 1 more property the energy resist.  That is a 106 point property so we are at 256 intensity of 500. so with only 244 points left, we can not add but 2 properties at max and maybe a cheap 3rd property.  Great item for adding resist!  You can lower the resist for more points.

2. This one added just one more property, the property is kinda useless to me but it only costs 29 points.  So, we have only used 2 properties and 179 points. That means we have 321 points.
    Which means we can possibly add 3 properties at max intensity.  A definite keeper.

3. This one just added Self Repair. OOOO you think you will never have to repair it? Well when you imbue a property on this item the Self Repair goes away.
    So effectively this item has 1 property. You can add four more to it.
    It has 350 points left and 4 properties that can be imbued. 
    Unfortunately the good stuff costs 100 or 110 points so you can either get 3 full intensity properties or 4 at not max intensity. Which is the most we can expect when we have an over capped property.

4. At a glance it looks like it has just mana Regen, which is something we may want.  But oh crap it has the killer of Elemental weapon reforges!  Lower requirements!   That property is 120 points OUCH Throw it away, just like it ruins a weapon reforge.

5. Just 2 properties, Fire and Cold resist. A keeper if you are needing those resists.

6. Just the EP is added. It is only 8 points so 3 high stats can be added or 4 not all at max. Another keeper, and you could increase the EP if that is a desired property.

7. Just 3 mana regen is added. The imbue cap is 2 so definitely a Keeper. (wish it had 150 Luck)

8. Looks like it just has Mana increase, But the cold resist was also increased a tiny bit.
    A keeper, you can add 2 more things and increase the cold if that fits your build.

9. Just like 8. The cold resist went up a little... A keeper if you want more cold resist.

10. MR 2 but it also increased fire and poison, A keeper if you wanted to increase those more.+
    You can only add 1 more property to this piece. But you can increase the 2 resists also.

11. Hell Ya it added 20 LRC, perfect for many mages, saves you the ingredient.
    My replacement hat.

12. This one added 3 things so with the Luck it hit the cap of 4 properties when reforged.
    Reflect 66 points and cold and energy resist. So up to your build.

So for me the best items are.

3. Self repair because you can add the 3 exact things you want at max or 4 with some not at max.

11. Hell ya 20 LRC

6. Can 3 max properties.

2. Can add 3 Properties.

So after all those hours I have 4 items I can use and the best one is missing 10 Luck.

Yikes its late.

Good Night.
    temp.png 431.8K
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    I only skimmed but looks like lots of good info in this thread. I actually just finished up creating my own luck suit which was nice to have a reason to log in and do something different.

Few things that I'd add that I don't think I saw (specifically for mage armor) which I encountered when I made my suit this week. Generally speaking:
    • You can make a 2200-2300 luck suit by using all crafted armor/weapon/shield & using cleanup point items (jewels / tali) for relatively cheap. Even the luck robe is available from Blackthorns.
    • Serpent quiver from wrath of fey are still pretty abundant and give luck in a slot with no other options. Next would be Yukio's earrings so the same reason.
    • Crafted tunic is a viable choice over armor or fortune - ultimately the 10 extra luck you get from it doesn't really make up for the lack or total stats/resist. There are other items that help boost the suit's LRC that you don't need 40% LRC on a single piece.
    • No name legendary shields DO still spawn. They are rare but you can still find them on Scalis/UW hunts and they can have some pretty awesome mods (including a double digit resist).
    • Aim to only use leather pieces that are 2 or 3 Physical resist since spined gives +9 physical resist. This gives you higher resists in all the other elements as a base.
    • It is possible to make a crafted luck suit (150 on each piece) with all 70 resists & 100 LRC
    • Making an excel sheet to help plan goes a long way in mapping out what stats you need.
    What I did for my suit:
    • Full disclosure - I made this suit on my home shard so I had tons of resources available to me that someone just starting out probably wouldn't have. I used several non spawning type items like Leurocians Mempo / Yukios Earrings / Serpent quiver / no-name legendary item with 150 luck & 18+ each resist. The armor pieces made things easier to fit in other crafted armor (ie it didn't take as long to build).
    • I chose to use a crafted tunic for additional mods over the 10 additional luck from AoF. This made creating the suit easier.
    • I used a no-named legendary artifact as my head piece mainly because it was what I was using before the Wildfire mask came out (so I had it) and I didn't have any extra WF masks to use. It helped with the resist of the suit but it doesn't have much LRC or LMC.
    • Crafted Auspicious of Defense items (horned kit) where I needed them in order to get 150 luck and 23 resist in 1 element. You can add 20LRC & 8LMC to these pieces.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,174
    This is my Tamer/Mage's luck suit.

Luck.png 540.1K

edited February 2023
    Nice.  You have the 40LMC.  I only see 3 Mana regen. You did not show your jewels.

I have a feeling that we may be able to get the 100LRC, 40LMC but maybe 6 to 10 Mana regen if we want high luck.

It is going to feel like playing in the 90s.  You will have to have high Meditation to be able to chain spells.  Or maybe we just use fireballs.  My main tamer only has 40 Meditation.

I do have 2 other tamers with 100 Meditation so those may have to be the ones that get the Luck Suits.

Glad I am making mine for Tamer/Mages so the pet does the killing, I just plant the thorns.

To make this a fighting template we will have to have high Meditation and maybe lower the luck for some 4 MR pieces.

Can use the Belt and sash for 2 MR each tho.
    Yep forgot I also use the Mark so with that and the jewels I have 9 mana regen.

My mana sucks with the luck suit on but my pet does most of the work.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    edited February 2023
    Hmmm @Larisa - are you swapping out the luck jewels for those regen jewels? Something isn't adding up from your first screenshot; you have 2/6 casting in your stat bar BUT the jewels you show are only 2/5 (you also have a -1 FC shield).

Personally I go with the luck jewels over regular antique jewelry without luck; it's +400 luck and 3/6 casting (allows you to use a -1 FC item).

Here are the stats from the luck suit I just built; it has 13 MR (not pictured).
    No I don't use luck jewels and I run protection so fc/fcr is meaningless.

edited February 2023
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    @ Pawain 

Ok finished reading the tutorial that is about making our own luck suit. But then its not as effective as a full sdi mage. The fun part is to figure out the right balance or luck vs SDI. The only advantage of full luck suit can only be reaped by bards and tamers who just stand there just healing or singing away... 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,996
    Seth said:
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    @ Pawain 

Ok finished reading the tutorial that is about making our own luck suit. But then its not as effective as a full sdi mage. The fun part is to figure out the right balance or luck vs SDI. The only advantage of full luck suit can only be reaped by bards and tamers who just stand there just healing or singing away... 
    I only wish the monsters knew Bards and tamers were just standing there ...
    Seth said:
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    @ Pawain 

I am actually practicing magery with the mostly crafted suit.  Only 13 LMC only 40SDI. MR 12 Meditation 110.  Decided what better place to test a suit from the 2000s than haven mine.
    Earth eles lose more than 3/4 life when hit with e bolt.  But Im not used to casting twice on them. LOL 

I can cast E Bolt as fast as I can with 0 FC and not running out of mana So the Mana drain is not something that is bothering me. 

First stage test results:
    High Meditation compensates for MR.
    Having low SDI is not fun.

I am going to finish this crafted suit then move to SDI vs Luck on the next suit.  So, Ill holler at you @Seth ; when I get to that suit and do some testing.
    So for Mage.  The Sash spot is a choice between
    Lt Sash or Blackthorn copy
    and 
    Artio's

The Kilt
    Tangle 
    Demon belt

They will give 4 MR.

Let me know if another item is this slots would work better different.

edited February 2023
    Decided to make an Orb Shield with Luck.  I do not have the recipe so I had someone make them.
    Metal seems more difficult to get 150. Took 60 tries to get 2.
    Then I found out that I can't enhance it because I need Magery and The recipe..

Cant spit out the Forge tool either...

So had to get another player to enhance it.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    Seth said:
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:
    @ Pawain 

Is it even possible to make a full SDI Mage suit ?

I mean, if I remember correctly, in PvP it is capped at 25%..... in PvM, that I know of, there is no CAP but one is only limited by the existing items.

To my knowledge, with the items at this time, the max CAP possible for SDI in PvM is 185% but that does not mean, should new items come out with higher SDI, that one could get higher....
    Pawain said:

I am actually practicing magery with the mostly crafted suit.  Only 13 LMC only 40SDI. MR 12 Meditation 110.  Decided what better place to test a suit from the 2000s than haven mine.
    Earth eles lose more than 3/4 life when hit with e bolt.  But Im not used to casting twice on them. LOL 

I can cast E Bolt as fast as I can with 0 FC and not running out of mana So the Mana drain is not something that is bothering me. 

First stage test results:
    High Meditation compensates for MR.
    Having low SDI is not fun.

I am going to finish this crafted suit then move to SDI vs Luck on the next suit.  So, Ill holler at you @ Seth  when I get to that suit and do some testing.

Thanks...

I cleared my head and I think should go for full luck suit if the following assumption is true.
    - Damage determines whether or not we qualify for a drop.
    - Luck will determine the chance (roll the dice) to get the drop (if we qualify).

It has to be a group fight so I think high SDI and damage is not required.  

Grimbeard said:
    Seth said:

I only wish the monsters knew Bards and tamers were just standing there ...
     :D at least the Dev knows...
    edited February 2023
    popps said:

Is it even possible to make a full SDI Mage suit ?

I mean, if I remember correctly, in PvP it is capped at 25%..... in PvM, that I know of, there is no CAP but one is only limited by the existing items.

To my knowledge, with the items at this time, the max CAP possible for SDI in PvM is 185% but that does not mean, should new items come out with higher SDI, that one could get higher....
    Not sure what is your question but my mage has 185 sdi and it could still go up depending on the new items. 

The resistance is very low for 185 sdi suit but I manage to have 525 luck without statue.
    But the HP and resistance are the weakest link.