Give us some help for the Artisan Festival

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    Riner said:
    On Great Lakes we are truely fortunate.  We have a dedicated player who spends her time during the year getting ready for this one event. She not only collects vast amounts of bods but fills them. Some for the rewards she sells to finance her main effort. By the time the artisan festival begins she has enough bods completed to complete every tree on Great Lakes. Others do contribute to the growth of the tree but really it only serves to ensure everyone gets rewards from the festival. Knowing how much work she puts in for this o can understand the frustrate faces on shards without a dedicated BOD maker, but changing this to make it easier isn’t the answer. Removing the challenge to allow everyone to win isn’t the answer with this or a dungeon or an event. 
    And what if that dedicated player in gathering BODs and filling them was to stop playing or change her playing style on Great Lakes ?

No longer completing trees at the Festival would be possible on that shard....

I am sorry, but relying on players who are so dedicated and have significant time to give to the community, at least to my opinion, should not be the answer when dealing with the Design of the BOD Festival....

The completion of the Trees should be tailored to the "active" population of Shards across all Year, me thinks.... pretty much like in Dungeons.... whereas, more players prompt more spawn.

That is, Shards with a larger Population should require more points like now, BUT, Shards with a lesser active population across Year round, should have lower requirements for the completion of the Tree so that, all Shards could have a shot at completing their trees regardless whether they have a high or low population....

And not have to rely of very dedicated players, but be "feasible" with normal and not extraordinary gameplay.

That is at least how I see it.
  • Popps   How many bods have you donated so far?

i have no idea what this festival is all about. Could you explain to me please?

I assume you know all about this subject aswell ?
  • silence........
  • RinerRiner Posts: 365
    @popps the continual wish to have things made easier for you to complete them is much like asking for participation trophies. The object of Ultima Online or the original games, isn't about everyone achieving the same thing in the same manner. While we have a dedicated BoD filler who does it primarily for the festival without much work the trees are raised by the general population. Of course, if there isn't the interest in the rewards people won't take part and inconsequence will not get them. The standard for this and other rewards is set, and clearly achievable if there is desire to do so. Instead of looking for an easier way to accomplish things simply learn to do them. Also, other shards manage to finish their trees as well so if you want the rewards fill the BoDs, easy as that. 
  • DrowyDrowy Posts: 131
    So, the Artisan Festival is around the corner and preparing hasnt become easier. Any chance to get some help for the dedicated tree growers?
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,020
    Drowy said:
    So, the Artisan Festival is around the corner and preparing hasnt become easier. Any chance to get some help for the dedicated tree growers?
    Has your shard started filling bods?
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,685
    Chrille said:
    one thing I wish they would change is...
    let us choose which direction the BOD bribes up
    (do the DEVs know how hard it is to get an exceptional footwear BOD?
    you can't bribe them to exceptional... they always jump to the other resource type)
    Doesn't really matter though only thing is that you need to use coloured leather to fill them. They match the lbods just fine even if better material is used, you can also use exceptional items where normal is needed.
    yes it can jump to the other colors of leather
    but that defeats the purpose of using an EXCEPTIONAL bod
    because I have never gotten a tailor footwear deed to go to exceptional
    it always goes to the number count and then to colored

you have to get the footwear as exceptional
    (think i have only gotten about 6 or 7 since i posted this)
    so i have a bunch of bods that i have to keep, until i can get an exceptional
    which hardly ever happens
    Sure, started with beginning of the year. But there is mostly 3-5 people doing the majority of the work to grow the tree. Collecting Bods, sorting, bribing, crafting, sometimes collecting materials costs alot of time, if you want to grow all trees. And I still think its way too much. 1% doing the hard work and 99% leeching from them getting same amount of presents if tree is full growth. Its not encouraging to keep doing it.
    Drowy said:
    Sure, started with beginning of the year. But there is mostly 3-5 people doing the majority of the work to grow the tree. Collecting Bods, sorting, bribing, crafting, sometimes collecting materials costs alot of time, if you want to grow all trees. And I still think its way too much. 1% doing the hard work and 99% leeching from them getting same amount of presents if tree is full growth. Its not encouraging to keep doing it.
    On Baja there's a weekly craft night 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,085
    Most shards have 1 primary Tree Maker.  

Thank you all!

<3 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    yes it can jump to the other colors of leather
    but that defeats the purpose of using an EXCEPTIONAL bod
    because I have never gotten a tailor footwear deed to go to exceptional
    it always goes to the number count and then to colored

you have to get the footwear as exceptional
    (think i have only gotten about 6 or 7 since i posted this)
    so i have a bunch of bods that i have to keep, until i can get an exceptional
    which hardly ever happens

Mine usually goes all the way to barbed before anything else. But, I also have bribed a 10ct normal leather to 10ct exp normal leather. It just takes about 20 or more 10 count normal bods to luck out. lol (Foot wear are the only tailor I bribe up.)

Pawain said:
    Most shards have 1 primary Tree Maker.  

Thank you all!

<3 

You Welcome! :)
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,177
    Here's what I do:

Get a large leather BOD..ANY large leather BOD.

Find the smalls to fill it..ANY smalls....if you have a 10 count normal leather armor BOD and you have a 15 count exp. spined small...USE IT!

BRIBE the large ALL the way up to 20 exp barbed
    BRIBE all the smalls ALL the way up to 20 exp barbed

Fill the smalls
    Fill the large

Done.

Weapons BODs....sure they aren't worth nearly as much but SO much easier and I don't know about anyone else but I get a ton of large weapon BOD's.

Same as above...get large weapons BOD

Bribe it up all the way to 20 exp

Do the same with the smalls
    Fill it.

That gets expensive!. lol I'm cheap!
    What would be needed, to my opinion, to really help out with the Artisan Festival so as to to make the "massive" filling up of the BODs needed, would be a crafting station (a new Veteran Reward ?) that was capable, when locked down, of holding unlimited materials besides tools.... then, with a Macro, the player could be able to command the crafting of whatever the BOD needs using the materials and tools contained in the crafting station and fill up the BODs....

We should face the reality of a today's UO with a much smaller players' Population, when the Artisans Festival was conceived, many more players where active and contributed to dropping of filled BODs onto the Elf.... nowdays, instead, a considerable lower number of players, especially on lesser populated Shards, are active during the Artisans Festival and the work and time necessary for these fewer players involved can become daunting and deterring....

A Crafting Station like I suggested, would be a good step towards making such massive work more reasonable and acceptable.

@Kyronix , can we please see such a Crafting Station become perhaps a Veteran Reward ?
    popps said:
    What would be needed, to my opinion, to really help out with the Artisan Festival so as to to make the "massive" filling up of the BODs needed, would be a crafting station (a new Veteran Reward ?) that was capable, when locked down, of holding unlimited materials besides tools.... then, with a Macro, the player could be able to command the crafting of whatever the BOD needs using the materials and tools contained in the crafting station and fill up the BODs....

We should face the reality of a today's UO with a much smaller players' Population, when the Artisans Festival was conceived, many more players where active and contributed to dropping of filled BODs onto the Elf.... nowdays, instead, a considerable lower number of players, especially on lesser populated Shards, are active during the Artisans Festival and the work and time necessary for these fewer players involved can become daunting and deterring....

A Crafting Station like I suggested, would be a good step towards making such massive work more reasonable and acceptable.

@ Kyronix , can we please see such a Crafting Station become perhaps a Veteran Reward ?
    Baja one of the least populated shards yet will get every tree no need for anything except unselfish team work
    @popps What shards tree are you growing this year with your so massive BOD collection that you cant make them manually?  
    Pawain said:
    @ popps What shards tree are you growing this year with your so massive BOD collection that you cant make them manually?  
    Of course that BODs can be filled "manually".... only, it takes players' time and a whole lot of it too. To my opinion.... helping out players to reduce the time to spend at repetitive, tedious tasks such as for example the filling of BODs for the Yearly Artisans' Festival in UO, should not be, to my humble opinion, a "taboo" argument to discuss on these UO official Forums....

Time is the most precious commodity because the time gone will never come back... trying to save up one's own time so that also other things can be done, not primarily the filling of BODs in UO during the Artisans Festival for those players who are involved with it, to my opinion, should be seen as a good thing, not a bad one.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,347
    This thing isn't that onerous if you just think ahead a bit. I started working on my 'tree book' in August, at that I was way behind one of the other Europa governors who started in January and already has enough for his town. It only takes a few bods per week doing it that way. 

I'd hate to see the trees taken over by scripters, but I'm awful afraid that might happen if filling them was as automated as popps would like.
  • popps said:
    Pawain said:
    @ popps What shards tree are you growing this year with your so massive BOD collection that you cant make them manually?  
    Of course that BODs can be filled "manually".... only, it takes players' time and a whole lot of it too. To my opinion.... helping out players to reduce the time to spend at repetitive, tedious tasks such as for example the filling of BODs for the Yearly Artisans' Festival in UO, should not be, to my humble opinion, a "taboo" argument to discuss on these UO official Forums....

Time is the most precious commodity because the time gone will never come back... trying to save up one's own time so that also other things can be done, not primarily the filling of BODs in UO during the Artisans Festival for those players who are involved with it, to my opinion, should be seen as a good thing, not a bad one.
    If your time is as precious as you purport, Why are you wasting it in a video game again?

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

@ Kyronix , can we please see such a Crafting Station become perhaps a Veteran Reward ?
    Baja one of the least populated shards yet will get every tree no need for anything except unselfish team work
    AMEN
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,168
    Drowy said:
    It just is what it is unfortunately. I personally do not think the trees should take as many BODs as they do for a star but I guess others might argue that gives crafters something to do in the game. Either way, I doubt anything will change because this event has been the same cookie cutter thing for at least past 4-5 years with many players saying this same thing. I doubt they would change anything at this point when it's much easier to set & forget until it's time to turn it off.
  • On Origin Shard which is not heavily populated, each Governor has taken on the task to fill their trees.  Last year we managed about 5 trees with our limited population.  We intend to do it all again this year and welcome everyone to throw a bod or two to get your rewards.

• On Chesapeake, we are incredibly fortunate to have Sweetz cracking the whip over her hummies. She is the BOD queen! 

There are a ton of BODs to be found at idocs. We try to grab as many as we can (people just leave them behind!) and give them to Sweetz' hummies across the shards. I THINK they determine if they are good for the points or not and then moves them over to Chessy as space allows. She does them year round. Or has them done by her hummies I should say LOL.

I do NOT begrudge her one bit the "hack" of paying vendors for unlimited storage. She did remind us last week that the season was upon us and to please bring her BODs. I know she spends a lot of time doing them and organizing them so that she knows each town will have its tree. 

I love the idea of a crafting night each week to help fill BODs for the tree. I don't think the points should be changed but maybe the availability of BODs should be changed. There are days when all I want to do is craft and fill bods etc but I only turn in the ones that aren't in LBODs and I run out of BODs to do. I save all my alchemy ones to turn in to the tree because they are easy to fill and the rewards aren't that great. 

There is a special place in UO heaven for these BOD-filling tree builders and I, for one, appreciate them greatly!
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow

Discord: txeggplant
    maithceol@gmail.com
    ^like^

Also the pro BODers know when the tree will light up.

I'll show up for those posted when I can. Support your local growers.

Alchemy BODs are the cheapest and best small BODs to fill. The vendor does not run out of potions.  Can buy them from the room above.
  • Pawain said:
    ^like^

Also the pro BODers know when the tree will light up.

Sweetz also provides a runebook in the order or reverse order of the trees. She really is a one-stop Artisan tree shop!
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow

Discord: txeggplant
    maithceol@gmail.com
    Nice to see that there are some crafting communities working together. Still I think its way to much work, especially cause everyone gets the same share when the star is up. We shouldnt be forced countless hours collecting Bods, farming materials, sorting, bribing and finally crafting and combining the Bods. We have to prepare for an event, sometimes the whole year. I like crafting and also the community aspect of the event, but when some invest hundrest of hours and sometimes alot of money, while others just hop in with lots of charcters dropping one Bod get a reward with no effort at all doesnt feel right and I am tired of it. I left my points for some relief. Lets see what happens.
    Drowy said:
    Nice to see that there are some crafting communities working together. Still I think its way to much work, especially cause everyone gets the same share when the star is up. We shouldnt be forced countless hours collecting Bods, farming materials, sorting, bribing and finally crafting and combining the Bods. We have to prepare for an event, sometimes the whole year. I like crafting and also the community aspect of the event, but when some invest hundrest of hours and sometimes alot of money, while others just hop in with lots of charcters dropping one Bod get a reward with no effort at all doesnt feel right and I am tired of it. I left my points for some relief. Lets see what happens.
    I took eggs to the main BOD shards, bought the Spellbook, bought cheap LRC suits and made a Toon that can gate me to trees now.  I have be a more effective leecher now!

But, It did make me have 1 toon on a few shards that can do a few things. Otherwise, they are all just NOOBs.
  •  
    This year I'm done with bods as soon as the Halloween event starts. I'll make sure that the 2 cities that have Governors who actively participate (one being me and the other WildStar) have enough points to get full trees and that's it for me. It's time for others to step forward should they desire. This is a purely voluntary participatory event and thankfully this year a number of people have stepped up. This could be an event that the Governors could rally for their city's tree but each Governor has to make that decision for themselves.

Last week EM Echo came as a reporter to the Cranky Crafters craft night so we had some extra people show up which was fantastic! Hopefully they'll keep coming back. Having the support of the shard's EM helps greatly too. Those who care will do the best they can and hopefully enjoy what they're doing and the people they're doing it with. That's what this is all about for me.

This year I'm done with bods as soon as the Halloween event starts. I'll make sure that the 2 cities that have Governors who actively participate (one being me and the other WildStar) have enough points to get full trees and that's it for me. It's time for others to step forward should they desire. This is a purely voluntary participatory event and thankfully this year a number of people have stepped up. This could be an event that the Governors could rally for their city's tree but each Governor has to make that decision for themselves.

Last week EM Echo came as a reporter to the Cranky Crafters craft night so we had some extra people show up which was fantastic! Hopefully they'll keep coming back. Having the support of the shard's EM helps greatly too. Those who care will do the best they can and hopefully enjoy what they're doing and the people they're doing it with. That's what this is all about for me.

You can't quite see but Amber's the one with the whip in her hand..
    On Chesapeake, we are incredibly fortunate to have Sweetz cracking the whip over her hummies. She is the BOD queen! 

There are a ton of BODs to be found at idocs. We try to grab as many as we can (people just leave them behind!) and give them to Sweetz' hummies across the shards. I THINK they determine if they are good for the points or not and then moves them over to Chessy as space allows. She does them year round. Or has them done by her hummies I should say LOL.

I do NOT begrudge her one bit the "hack" of paying vendors for unlimited storage. She did remind us last week that the season was upon us and to please bring her BODs. I know she spends a lot of time doing them and organizing them so that she knows each town will have its tree. 

I love the idea of a crafting night each week to help fill BODs for the tree. I don't think the points should be changed but maybe the availability of BODs should be changed. There are days when all I want to do is craft and fill bods etc but I only turn in the ones that aren't in LBODs and I run out of BODs to do. I save all my alchemy ones to turn in to the tree because they are easy to fill and the rewards aren't that great. 

There is a special place in UO heaven for these BOD-filling tree builders and I, for one, appreciate them greatly!

Thank You!