Halloween House Decorating contest!

Comments

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    hi guys, this is my haunted mansion. Thornwood Manor. the owner is  Valkyrie Goddess and it is located on Atlantic. i will post a detailed map pic with the house pics.  im also writing a story to go along with this dreadful place. and a special thank you to my husband who pretty much let me wreck his new 18x18 so i didnt have to demolish mine =) lol

Evil lives in the heart of all men. The majority of people suppress the darkness that grows inside them till it is merely a fleeting thought that enters their mind and is fought back down to the depths effortlessly. Then there are that very few that for what ever reason, maybe even lack of want cannot suppress the darkness, it devours them consumes their soul into blinding blackness...and sometimes even more rarely that blackness overflows out of them poisoning the land and everything they touch. And thus our story of  Thornwood Manor begins with a man so full lust for power , flesh and money grew a blackness so dark that it eventually devoured everything and everyone who was unfortunate enough to have drawn him from the cards of fate.  pics got a little out of order but meh what can ya do....stop by and give er a look ...HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL!

Ok the Egg bomb and pearl eyeballs, the slith tongue and guillotine, and the black stage coach are beyond clever...did you win  ? You should have.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • scatey23scatey23 Posts: 2
    edited November 2023
    scatey23 said:
    103.53 N & 5.54 E
    I am Liberty Star!!! This is my Haunted Craft House. I hope people like it!! Me and my Sister worked REALLY hard on it. I am on ATLANTIC SHARD!!
    Atlantic Shard. In Luna Malas. A few screens from Luna.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    edited November 2023
    I'm sorry @scatey23 but the contest closed

How long do I have to submit my design? 
    The contest will run until 11:59pm EST on 10/31/2023. Any posts made after that time will not be considered for the contest.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/13277/halloween-house-decorating-contest-voting-and-winners#latest

I didn't submit a design but I still have an opinion. I only had to visit and see 1 house on Atl and that person lost to a fishing cave...

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 721
    I didn't submit a design but I still have an opinion. I only had to visit and see 1 house on Atl and that person lost to a fishing cave...

+1
  • I was really hoping something like this wouldn't happen. There are brilliant and unique ideas in all of the designs that were offered. It's really unfortunate that anyone come into the thread to tear one of the winners down. I think it's exactly the kind of thing that would keep some from participating at all in the future.

Can't we just focus on what you're seeing that you love about any design you've seen, whether the house was claimed a winner or not? That's the fun part, isn't it? Oh! Look what so and so did here! And this and that is so clever, never saw that before!

Lestat's trompe l'oeil, fooling the eye into seeing the house as a water scene blending with the coast, is fantastic. And so is Dixie's super detailed work, with something clever and fun everywhere you look. 

Come on, you guys.

edited November 2023
    The issue is the contest was a Halloween themed house. His dock may have been cool but it wasn't a Halloween dock.  

"I think it's exactly the kind of thing that would keep some from participating at all in the future."  

Yes, working for a couple of days on a brand new design and losing to someone who threw a few pumpkins on a house that had been built for a while does make someone not want to participate.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    Marge said:
    The issue is the contest was a Halloween themed house. His dock may have been cool but it wasn't a Halloween dock.  

"I think it's exactly the kind of thing that would keep some from participating at all in the future."  

Yes, working for a couple of days on a brand new design and losing to someone who threw a few pumpkins on a house that had been built for a while does make someone not want to participate.
    Having a dock Mesanna built should have disqualified from the start unless everyone can have one

• Sure, have it your way. I’m sure turning the thread into what looks like mean spirited sour grapes will somehow lift Dixie and her efforts up. 
    I'm not saying anything in defense of one person. I'm saying this as someone who knows 99% of UO didn't enter because we all know there will be one person who will vote 100 times for themselves and win no matter what. He tossed those pumpkins in his house so technically there was "Halloween" Deco and then he could enter so he could get the rare sign in his yard. Most have given up on contest - such as the Castle and Keep design contest - because of this. He could have at least tried. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,115
    edited November 2023
    Marge said:
    I'm not saying anything in defense of one person. I'm saying this as someone who knows 99% of UO didn't enter because we all know there will be one person who will vote 100 times for themselves and win no matter what. He tossed those pumpkins in his house so technically there was "Halloween" Deco and then he could enter so he could get the rare sign in his yard. Most have given up on contest - such as the Castle and Keep design contest - because of this. He could have at least tried. 
    So AR won on each shard?

There is no proof in your statement.  Which house do you think got multiple votes from the same person.  I think like 15 total posters voted.

Don't just make up shit and pretend it is true.

And same for the Castle contests.  Players make crappy designs so they do not win.  Sorry to break that news to you.  Now we know why your favorites do not win, they are not popular.

When you look up honest, Lestats picture is there. Geez.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • I suppose it’s possible that multiple accounts have multiple login options here. I dunno. I’ll just leave it alone. It’s unfortunate there isn’t a more sure-proof way on insuring one person getting a single vote. I loved everyone’s contributions. I’ll just leave it at that. 
    "Which house do you think got multiple votes from the same person.  I think like 15 total posters voted."

A few more than 15 voted.

And I went back and looked at all entries - his was the least Halloween Themed.

edited November 2023
    Also the ignorant posters also say Guilds always win.  One of the largest Atl guilds got less than 10% of the vote. :D

I guess the writing contest is rigged also. :D  

That's what the losers say.
    How can I lose if I don't enter?
    The EM should have picked the winners, he/she ran the contest after all. imo And there's no way in any level of hell that that ATL house was better than all of the others..again imo. It's not sour grapes, its fact...

Marge said:
    How can I lose if I don't enter?
    Spreading lies causes others not to enter.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    Let's all be thankful of having such a contest for players to enjoy. If you have constructive ideas on how to improve in the future, that would be welcome.  
    What does that statement have to do with mine?
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited November 2023
    Rorschach said:
    Let's all be thankful of having such a contest for players to enjoy. If you have constructive ideas on how to improve in the future, that would be welcome.  

One suggestion then. 

IMO there should be, in future Contests of this kind, some type of "weighted average" mechanism between Shards: clearly Low Pop Shards had less entries, and so less competition (some of them had only one single entry, so the Victory was assured! :D ).

What about, e.g., considering Winners the best 10 or 20 designs, independently of their Shard?

Let's be clear: mine is NOT a judgment of the quality of ANY of the Houses I saw (from winners or not), but clearly on ATL the competition was more fierce that anywhere else, so some very good design were automatically "left behind".

And, yes, I'm sure that someone is thinking "Why then some of the ATL Players didn't build their house elsewhere?"

I think that the reply is obvious: to do so one should be albe to move stuff (even a lot) between Shards, considering the abysmal market assortment of many Low Pop Shards...

• Ivenor said:
    Rorschach said:

clearly Low Pop Shards had less entries, and so less competition (some of them had only one single entry, so the Victory was assured! :D ).

Which is not to say designs created on shards with only a single entry weren’t any good or worthy of recognition. 

On my part, however, given that another participant on Chesapeake couldn’t seem to figure out how to post pictures in order to enter, and with the crappy turn this thread took I’m going to decline the prize. 

The fun part was found in doing the decorating to begin with and in having an opportunity to see the creativity of the other entries. As for the rest of it, the fun’s been sucked out of the room at this point.  

You must have hit enter as I was starting to type and it looks as if I told the moderator that. My statement was definitely meant as a reply to Pawain and not the moderator.

As for constructive ideas, it would be nice to have a random judge to pick the winners. I don't know if the core team for Broadsword are back in the office or if its all remote but buy someone a coffee during their break and ask them to judge. Hell, ask the barista.   
    edited November 2023
    Marge said:

You must have hit enter as I was starting to type and it looks as if I told the moderator that. My statement was definitely meant as a reply to Pawain and not the moderator.

As for constructive ideas, it would be nice to have a random judge to pick the winners. I don't know if the core team for Broadsword are back in the office or if its all remote but buy someone a coffee during their break and ask them to judge. Hell, ask the barista.   
    Why do you think a random person would choose different than the posters here?

We all like different things, more people liked the cool dock.  So a contest is not valid if you do not approve of the winner?  :D 

To eliminate more confusion,  The troll that brought up Mesannas house with a Dock on LS, did not mean the contest entry was partially built by her.  
    "So a contest is not valid if you do not approve of the winner?" 

Yes Pawain that is exactly it...............
    There is nothing wrong with the dock but it simply is NOT the best example of a HALLOWEEN THEMED HOUSE. If it was a contest for best fishing house, no one would question if it won. ANY of the other houses could have won and I'd have no issue.

A random person judging would help with claims such as one person voting 100 times for themself, guild's voting to ensure the lost of a rival, and UO team favoritism.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,406
    ya the dock house is very very good but its far from a Halloween house
    Everyone knew of this place and design, from what I"m hearing, and all the owner did was lock down some pumpkins and call it haunted, then got 100 votes...yeah, ok.

Everyone knew of this place and design, from what I"m hearing, and all the owner did was lock down some pumpkins and call it haunted, then got 100 votes...yeah, ok.
    Why structures like this that Mesanna created stay yet player memorials have been deleted speak volumes 
    edited November 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Why structures like this that Mesanna created stay yet player memorials have been deleted speak volumes 
    She decides what is made and not made, so she makes everything. She deleted her own stuff when memorials were changed.  Get over your petty jealousy of a house made for a community to meet.  
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    She decides what is made and not made, so she makes everything. She deleted her own stuff when memorials were changed.  Get over your petty jealousy of a house made for a community to meet.  
    Not in least bit jealous but what's available for one shard/guild/player should be available for all or none
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    LilyGrace said:
    Ivenor said:
    Rorschach said:

clearly Low Pop Shards had less entries, and so less competition (some of them had only one single entry, so the Victory was assured! :D ).

Which is not to say designs created on shards with only a single entry weren’t any good or worthy of recognition. 

(...)

Please re-read what I wrote: I agreed with you.

Ivenor said:
    (...)

Let's be clear: mine is NOT a judgment of the quality of ANY of the Houses I saw (from winners or not), but clearly on ATL the competition was more fierce that anywhere else, so some very good design were automatically "left behind".

(...)
This discussion has been closed.