Is anyone even going to play NL?

In a game with the majority of the player base being around 20+ years, you decide to go with the seasonal erase model of modern games. Anyone else worried this is going to flop and be the end of any updates to the actual game we all love? 

Comments

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 786
    Yes, I’m going to play it. And thus far don’t expect it’s going to negatively impact play on my home shards. I’ll worry about problems like those you’re mentioning when and if they happen. 
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    edited October 2023
    Yes I'm going to try it. 
    If they use it to fix long standing problems in the core code there I can see myself switching most of my playing time to it. 

Edited to add 
    It not like you have to quit the other shards.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,110
    Most games have seasonal.  Many players like the challenge of quickly building a character. 

It will be very crowded when it comes.

And yes, many players have asked for a classic shard over the years.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    So play nl for nothing and miss best in slot item xxx because you didn't grind PERMANCY is what keeps UO alive if your house wasn't there you logging in for 25 years ...
  • HolumerHolumer Posts: 172
    edited October 2023
    Seasonal is a mixed bag at best. If the seasonal can benefit the players main play goals then it is fine. If it is something that does not or costs extra money to benefit from then it will likley fail.

I plan on trying it
  • looploop Posts: 307
    I’ll try it.

The seasonal model is an interesting alternative to a straight up classic or a time-locked progression shard.

One of the design challenges of MMOs is their scale and longevity. The seasonal model gets around this challenge, but it also introduces a few of its own. It’ll be interesting to see how the new shard allows for a sense of progress across seasons and how your seasonal adventures carry over to the normal production shards.
    Grimbeard said:
    So play nl for nothing and miss best in slot item xxx because you didn't grind PERMANCY is what keeps UO alive if your house wasn't there you logging in for 25 years ...
    If the only reason you play is for "pretty pixels" I guess you're right.
    But I play for the fun and the people I meet.
    After 20+ years of play I don't think I have any "best in slot item" and don't really care. 

This is not meant as criticism. What ever floats your boat is fine by me.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,110
    Grimbeard said:
    The gameplay.  Just like all games I play.

Guaranteed you will try NL.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    The gameplay.  Just like all games I play.

Guaranteed you will try NL.
    It's the Drama that keeps me here.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,308
    Too much of a time commitment for me.  Not intended really as negative.  This appears to be a team oriented game play and just don’t have time for that.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Yes I will try NL and NO I will NOT give up on prodo shards.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    I have a couple of issues with the new legacy shard.

First of all, what is going to happen to AFK scripters/bot users? I have been back for a month but it has been clear to me that they are tolerated on the official shards. If they get the same treatment on the new legacy shard, then I believe there is no meaning for the new shard. The AFK scripters will just farm everything and control the market as they do on the old shards.

The other problem is that, we already have a small set of players. It seems like the only populated shard is the Atlantic. If the user base gets divided between the old shards and the new shards, then people may give up on playing altogether because there aren't enough players to do anything with.

If these 2 problems are solved, then I think I might do a shot to the new content.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I"m in the minority, i have 0% interest in this at all. I still have a house and skills on Siege. If I ever decide I need a challenge, I just log in there. Anyone who says "but that's not the same" are lying.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    edited October 2023
    shootgun said:

First of all, what is going to happen to AFK scripters/bot users? I have been back for a month but it has been clear to me that they are tolerated on the official shards. If they get the same treatment on the new legacy shard, then I believe there is no meaning for the new shard. The AFK scripters will just farm everything and control the market as they do on the old shards.

The other problem is that, we already have a small set of players. It seems like the only populated shard is the Atlantic. If the user base gets divided between the old shards and the new shards, then people may give up on playing altogether because there aren't enough players to do anything with.

If these 2 problems are solved, then I think I might do a shot to the new content.
    Yeah... I am also kinda troubled by the possiblity, at least theoretical, that scripters/bot users might script all their skills up, gather resources and do whatever needed to progress in the game without much of their time actually being at the keyboard thanking to the use of Third Party utilities which will permit them AFK scripting/botting....

I would also like to know whether this issue has been, somehow, addressed in New Legacy...
    popps said:
    shootgun said:

Yeah... I am also kinda troubled by the possiblity, at least theoretical, that scripters/bot users might script all their skills up, gather resources and do whatever needed to progress in the game without much of their time actually being at the keyboard thanking to the use of Third Party utilities which will permit them AFK scripting/botting....

I would also like to know whether this issue has been, somehow, addressed in New Legacy...
    You two do not remember what it was like pre AoS.  The only resources gather in any numbers were ingots, leather and regs and as far as skills how long did it take you to GM anything besides Taming.  There will be very little gold to buy anything with.  Smiths, Tailors and Warriors will be the first to see the new lands.  Will be nice to play a 7xGM again.  Also the skill gain system for NL is going to be different.  Hopefully they will but back the dungeons like they were before.
  • I plan on playing NL. Love the idea of seasonal shards and a fresh start for everyone. Some of the best UO experiences happen when we're all starting from the ground together.
    Why don't we just wait until they open the new shard before deciding if it's a failure or not?

If they have a plan to defeat "AFK scripting/botting..." and 3rd party programs they aren't going to give advance notice on what the plan is.
    @Lord_Frodo, i remember, pre aos, having a vendor that i sold gm made metal and leather armor and it sold quite well. Resources were harder to come by and competition was higher. 
    I would like to see a mix of then and now. 
    The 7xgm thing will be nice to experience again and i am curious on what skills will and wont be included. 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I’ll play it. I think it will be interesting to play the game with a new approach. Playing for the experience instead of hoarding items is totally fine with me. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    edited October 2023
    I think many people will try it if we assume it will come to fruition at a Prod level, at least for the first season. I'm just not sure how many people would play the entire season or return seasonally. 

If the shard is designed to have a playstyle similar to pre-AoS then a major component of it will be population. Depends on how long the seasons are and how quickly skills can be GM'ed but it might force people to be more dependent on each other (ie - a blacksmith would be a profession rather than a mule). If that's the case, then a lack of population at any point would be a crushing blow to the shard. 

I think many people are hoping/assuming this is going to be like an old school version of UO from the late 90's / early 00's which I think is a ship that has long ago sailed. There might be pieces that can be replicated but I just think we are in a completely different place now... ie we have programs that can essentially play for us so instead of meeting people out gathering resources it might just be bots. I think that's a key thing people need to keep in the back of their mind.
    I think one of the necessary pieces that needs to go away to help bridge the gap between mule and profession for a blacksmith is item insurance.

I can see having it in a limited capacity for certain pieces. However, item insurance kills player crafting as a profession. 

I like item insurance for things like super rare drops. 
    Maybe cameos and other talismans can be insured. Along with belts, sashes and footwear. 
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    No, won't play. They promised so many updates to doom, other dungeons, clean up rewards, etc. and NEVER kept good on those. It will flop, they will ignore it, just like the current game. I'm highly excited for them to finish NL so we can possibly get some updates to our game that has been ignored for the last 3-4+ years.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    Holumer said:
    I think one of the necessary pieces that needs to go away to help bridge the gap between mule and profession for a blacksmith is item insurance.

I can see having it in a limited capacity for certain pieces. However, item insurance kills player crafting as a profession. 

I like item insurance for things like super rare drops. 
    Maybe cameos and other talismans can be insured. Along with belts, sashes and footwear. 
    Those items did not exists pre AoS.  The only rare items were silver weps and there was no insurance.  Don't forget pre AoS there was only Tram and Fel, NL is only going to be one land with consensual PvP
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    It's going to be a free for all bloodfest...and it will last about a month before most if not all of the Non PvPrs are back on prodo.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    It's going to be a free for all bloodfest...and it will last about a month before most if not all of the Non PvPrs are back on prodo.
    It WILL NOT be a blood fest because you have to opt into PvP. 
    Hopefully the choice will NOT be changeable.
    If you want to play PvP a character shouldn't be able to suddenly opt out if the odds aren't in their favour.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Tim said:
    If you want to play PvP a character shouldn't be able to suddenly opt out if the odds aren't in their favour.
    The fact that such information is still secret is ridiculous 
    Grimbeard said:
    Tim said:
    The fact that such information is still secret is ridiculous 
    You ever think they are ironing all that shit out with the new focus group, yes they should have done this earlier but guess what they are trying.
  • I plan on trying New Legacy, it will make for some good content. As far as playability that is yet to be seen but if I wanted a different take on UO I would go to a private server. I pay to play the game I do for the same reason most of us do, 25+ years of nostalgia. That nostalgia is based around a specific game style however, so it is yet to be seen if that will carry over into New Legacy. 

I do have fears that this could tank our current game we all love so much if it fails and feel obligated to give it a solid try...