Welcome to the oldest part of the metaverse Ultima Online

Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
edited August 2023 in General Discussions
Ultima Online, which just turned 25, offers a lesson in the challenges of building virtual worlds.  https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/02/17/1068027/ultima-online-oldest-metaverse/?fbclid=IwAR0KFmE9eAjXdbofqaUDCy4k5TzUttzZ8-HZo5m4uogsh9RYxmcLNqoorX0

Comments

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    cool read thanks for posting it
  • RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 93
    It's obvious this guy played UO, but it's not biased one way or the other. Really well written! 
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    When you think about it, he's really talking about us. WE are those players. Thanks everyone for 25 years of being part of and creating this metaverse.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    So they're suggesting that it's the permanency...
  • RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 93
    Grimbeard said:
    As much as we can voice valid complaints about our recent care takers, it really is a testament to the players. This game really has the secret sauce. The only MMO that might outlive it in an official capacity is wow. Nothing else even comes close. Is there any other MMO that has lasted in a meaningful way more than 10 years? 

It's a shame that we aren't getting a true classic shard like wow did with their classic. Champagne tastes on a beer budget i guess. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Grimbeard said:
    As much as we can voice valid complaints about our recent care takers, it really is a testament to the players. This game really has the secret sauce. The only MMO that might outlive it in an official capacity is wow. Nothing else even comes close. Is there any other MMO that has lasted in a meaningful way more than 10 years? 

It's a shame that we aren't getting a true classic shard like wow did with their classic. Champagne tastes on a beer budget i guess. 
    NL is going to be the closest thing we get to a classic because no two people can agree to what a classic shard is.  I will be happy with a pre Pub 16 (Power Scrolls) Fel only land mass with a PvP switch.
    @Mariah @Rorschach can you change the title of this thread to "

"Welcome to the oldest part of the metaverse Ultima Online"

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    Done :)

• PitrPitr Posts: 163
    <3
    TYVM
  • RinerRiner Posts: 366
    Grimbeard said:

Well it's true WoW has been around for a bit. An even older game is Everquest, which is almost as old as Ultima online, already at 24 years. It gets constant updates in both content and bug fixes and has a rather large and healthy player base. Will it out live UO it's hard to say as the life of Ultima has yet to be determined.It would be nice if Ultima began having more regular updates which resulted in new and exciting content. It not only acts as a draw to new players but a reason for long standing players to stay. i love Ultima just wish they would up the support game and stop dangling new legacy as if it is some magic pill.
  • I didn't read it, or anyones responses, I take a holistic response, I use songs because sometimes they are less offensive and more