Tutorial

YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
edited July 2023 in General Discussions
"is there still a tutorial for 'new players'?
after watching the latest popular new player vid it didn't show one

just showing basic movement and very basic functions

I have a vague memory of walking through a cave like corridor and a couple of NPCs teaching you about vendor buy and vendor sell? maybe about opening paperdoll.

has that gone now? or did it never exist in the first place?"
Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,311
    A tutorial for melee fighters existed in New Haven before I started.  It took place in that off limits area outside of Old Haven.  that’s my understanding.  
    Closest thing to a tutorial now is that video in that recently closed thread by Urge.  Think there is a good series for new players wanting to create a samphire on the internet.  Was talked about here maybe a year or so ago.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,115
    I do not know if a video ever existed that was from UO.  We had the quest that Arnold mentioned. I think you can still do that.  There was/is an NPC fight quest for Samurais when SA came out.

UO is lacking in videos.  Probably because it came out before the internet had videos other than the computer generated walking baby that everyone passed around.

If UO was released now, it would have video guides immediately.  I always look for them when I start a new game.

I can not find any to link that do not have a reference to a free shard.

Your voice is pleasant, make some. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “I’m not talking about a video, I’m talking about a small tutorial, where it told you onscreen to right click to move etc
    I have vague recollections of them getting rid of it”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I remember something where it took you on a tour or something, and you saw the wanderer of the void outside Minoc...but not sure where it started or ended or how to even see it.I love being helpful ..lol
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    edited July 2023
    I started in Minoc, but I never saw anything like that.  Also, I can not say there was not one.
    I know I have seen the Wanderer outside Minoc, I do not have that Music Box gear, so I assumed he was associated with that quest that I did not do.

I read the guide book before I logged in.  I also played the demo from a disk that was in a Computer Gaming World Magazine.  

But, today a better place to help new players would be a walkthru series of videos.  That is what gamers do now when they get stuck in a game.  When you type in the name of a modern game and help, you get links to videos, when you type UO and some encounter, you get links to UOGuide or the UO Wiki.

Currently, the game has NPCs in Haven that yell at you.
    “I could be imagining it but I think there was one but they got rid of it as either wasn’t fit for purpose or maybe was only suitable for CC

but yeah YouTube vids and chat GPT prob the way to go now”
    Yoshi said:
    “I could be imagining it but I think there was one but they got rid of it as either wasn’t fit for purpose or maybe was only suitable for CC

but yeah YouTube vids and chat GPT prob the way to go now”
    I curse too much.  You know how to make them.  Get you some more sheep in fel once you teach them the basics and they feel invincible.

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,311
    The screens you see when you go to UO’s basic website provide some information about how to set up a character but nothing regarding the actual mechanics of playing the game.  It seems in general all the writers of information provided by UO are afraid of revealing to much information about the actual mechanics of playing the game.  It’s as if when they write anything they assume all readers are 20 year veterans.  As a new player was very frustrating, going to the UO provided wiki’s and time after time finding them written in a way not to reveal too much about the game.  It is still frustrating.  The players responding to the threads in this forum, and yes Mariah too, provide much more useful information than any other UO source regrading the actual playing of the game.  When I started and even before, I looked for hours and hours only to not find anything anywhere about what a new player should do in New Haven.
    Arnold7 said:
    The screens you see when you go to UO’s basic website provide some information about how to set up a character but nothing regarding the actual mechanics of playing the game.  It seems in general all the writers of information provided by UO are afraid of revealing to much information about the actual mechanics of playing the game.  It’s as if when they write anything they assume all readers are 20 year veterans.  As a new player was very frustrating, going to the UO provided wiki’s and time after time finding them written in a way not to reveal too much about the game.  It is still frustrating.  The players responding to the threads in this forum, and yes Mariah too, provide much more useful information than any other UO source regrading the actual playing of the game.  When I started and even before, I looked for hours and hours only to not find anything anywhere about what a new player should do in New Haven.
    I have bought quite a few games on Steam.  Some have tutorials you have to play before getting to the real game. Some are good, some not so good.  I find it better for me to look up a video of someone doing a walkthru.

Now none of these games have as much different content as UO does. They are games that have an end.  But, someone could make videos for different things in UO.  Would be many different things split into many videos.

Sure you can teach players to walk around and interact with NPCs, it is something we do often, but that is a small fraction of UO.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,991Moderator
    I did the best I could in creating the series of pages under the heading https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/beginning-the-adventure/
    It is incredibly hard for someone who has played for many years to think back to what information a new player will need, especially as some of the information that person learned as a novice is no longer relevant. If someone would like to suggest information that is not included in those pages I will attempt to remedy that.

edited July 2023
    "i'm not even going to review the page,
    because it's not really what my query was

anyway,

Publish 5 haha

UO Tutorial

“Young” players will be able to play through a tutorial designed to teach them the basics of the interface. The tutorial can only be accessed by “young” players. After making a character, “young” players will have the option to go through the tutorial or go directly to Haven. “Young” players can go through the tutorial again at any time, as long as they retain their “young” status.

Publish 14

The following is a list of changes deployed as Publish 14 on November 30, 2001.

New Player Experiences

It can be difficult to start off in a new world, with only the tools of your craft and no training in how to use them. We are in the process of adding several “directed experiences” to the early game, as a way to help those players new to Ultima Online learn their craft and be better prepared to excell in their chosen profession.

Blacksmith

This Haven-based tutorial will focus on helping new players to develop the abilities and skills needed for a blacksmith. The player will be assisted by one or more NPCs and given the option to participate in several activities, specifically designed to guide new players in the basics needed for a blacksmith character.

Some focal points of this “directed experience” will be learning the tools of the trade, how to craft items, and how to mine.

Mage

This Haven-based tutorial will focus on developing the abilities and skills needed for a mage. The player will be assisted by one or more NPCs and will be given the option to participate in several activities, specifically designed to guide new players in the basics needed for a mage character.

Some focal points of this “directed experience” will be learning about reagents, casting spells, and adventuring as a mage.

Warrior

This Haven-based tutorial will focus on developing the abilities and skills needed for a warrior. The player will be assisted by one or more NPCs and given the option to participate in several activities, specifically designed to guide new players in the basics needed for a warrior character.

Some focal points of this “directed experience” will be learning about armor & weapons, combat with monsters, and adventuring as a warrior.

and then here

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/publish-notes/publish-99/

Enhanced Client

Disabled the new player tutorial

So it did exist, maybe it still does for CC, just the new player video was EC

If it still exists for CC, they need to do one for EC really

"

edited July 2023
    They still basically have that. You can go to Haven and do quests that give you a reward at 50 skill. I have multiples of all of them.  They tell you which part of haven to fight in or what items to craft. I only did them for the rewards to use as deco.

I do not know if the current one is the original, Because it is now New Haven.

The NPC yells at you when you walk by and tells you what type NPC will give what quest if you respond to him.

I have Arms of Armstrong on many shards, I must have thought those were good at some time.

Mages fight the undead things. It has a counter for mob types I think. Warriors go in the cave and fight ogres.

Smith does what that description says at the mine outside.

You can cheat and buy points after you begin, but not before.

Also you have to have low skill to do the quest for that skill.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,991Moderator
    @Pawain I think you'll find the quests you refer to are linked, and referenced, in this page of the set I linked to earlier https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/beginning-the-adventure/novice-adventuring/

• looploop Posts: 309
    There’s a bunch of code in EC’s interface that references the new player experience that Yoshi mentioned. It looks like it’s safeguarded by a boolean. Could try flipping the flag on locally to see if it’s functional.

I’m too far removed from the perspective of a completely new player to weigh in on how valuable a tutorial of this kind really is.
    Yes. Do the ones in New Haven have a name. We have called them new player quests since you can only do them for low skills. 

I don't think they have an NPC for Spell Weaving. The last one I did was for necro, took me a while to find that NPC.  I think I have seen a map with the NPC locations.

I just assumed everyone knew about these. Can you still do the one where you fight a skele boss and use the horn of retreat?

NL could have skill gains like these quests. If you go to a certain place your correct skill could gain much faster for a range, like 0 to 30.  Then go to another place to gain 30 to 60 at a fast rate. I think that would be more fun than our slow gain everywhere.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,848
    Pawain said:
    Yes. Do the ones in New Haven have a name. We have called them new player quests since you can only do them for low skills. 

I don't think they have an NPC for Spell Weaving. The last one I did was for necro, took me a while to find that NPC.  I think I have seen a map with the NPC locations.

I just assumed everyone knew about these. Can you still do the one where you fight a skele boss and use the horn of retreat?

NL could have skill gains like these quests. If you go to a certain place your correct skill could gain much faster for a range, like 0 to 30.  Then go to another place to gain 30 to 60 at a fast rate. I think that would be more fun than our slow gain everywhere.
    IIRC the Horn of retreat was from the AOS New Player Paladin quest chain. it took you back to the Main Quest giver (I Think). The Skeletal boss was part of the new player experience after they created New haven, you got a token of passage and a recall rune for "the Darkness" After "defeating" him (couldn't really defeat him) the rune allowed you to fight another boss:

"The Battle

Once you are teleported into the arena, you will have ten minutes to defeat the Dark Knight.
    If you die, you will be returned to New Haven with your corpse, and will have to wait one day before returning to challenge him again.
    Should you prevail, you will be given one of three rewards, returned to New Haven, and will have to wait three days before returning to fight. You are only rewarded once; further fights are purely for the challenge.
    When ten minutes pass and you still haven't won, the Dark Knight returns you intact to New Haven, and you must wait another day before trying again."  

The reward were an Echo Staff, Ring of the Servant, or The Skill Tutor Stauette. 

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Yes Dark Knight.  Thanks.  Glad I was not the only one who had trouble beating him.
    @Yoshi if that is NL, you can make the first tutorials!!!

Don't worry, no one here will judge you.  o:)
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,848
    Pawain said:
    @ Yoshi if that is NL, you can make the first tutorials!!!

Don't worry, no one here will judge you.  o:)
    Much
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    Like the devs , the new haven tutorial hasnt worked in years. 

Lucy Spraggan - Lighthouse