a new player video

I found a new player video from days ago that highlights the difficulty of starting today.

Special guest appearance from Saul Goodman at 12:50.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited July 2023
    "nice to see yet another new player,
    with their first encounter of a bug reported 2018

Good job devs, keep it up

when his horses die, shame he didn't know about the log out exploit to save it 

but just goes to show everyone calling @SaulGoodman1 a troll and he helping new people out

real shame this vid will get removed for rule 9 term violation right at the end sorry"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Always felt that if they wanted new players to get into the game, fixing bugs would be step 1. 
    edited July 2023
    "at least he actually looked like he was really enjoying the game,
    I am surpised that he was able to accidentally attack NPCs and his own horse with the default reputation system settings"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited July 2023
    "on the back of this, when you buy a horse, can it come with an apple?

and the first time you feed a pet,
    can it please give a little system message to say something along the lines of

you have started the pet bonding process, time remaining 7 days

and each subsequent time you feed a pet to give you an update on bonding time

this would benfit all players as very often people can't remember when they first fed pet if at all"

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,308
    Great video. Describes how I felt as a new player.  Brings back a lot of memories from four years ago.  Accurately represents the new player experience.  Really fun to watch.  Has a commercial at the end but still worth watching.  Still laughing as I write this.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Ah the mythical new players... 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Grimbeard said:
    Ah the mythical new players... 

I agree.

Funny because the in the video the guy says he's playing for free (ie EJ) and it looks like that when he deposits gold but then when he mentions Saul Goodman he says "he's very active in the general chat". If I had to guess he's not a brand new player because he'd have no idea about Gen Chat as a brand new EJ player...
    “I thought that too but you do get to join a chat channel, think it’s help or something, maybe Saul was in that one.”
    edited July 2023
    The link takes you to a well thought out video created by an experienced gamer that knows what he, or she, is doing when it comes to creating presentations and knows how to effectively deliver a message.  I thought the reference to Saul was absolute genius.  I could identify with almost every aspect of the video.  No question that the person that created this video is familiar with UO.   The video just does too good of a job of hitting high spots to have been written by a person not familiar with UO.  Did not care that much for the commercial at the end.  But, have to say UO maybe you should consider doing a little more of this kind of thing.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    Yoshi said:
    “I thought that too but you do get to join a chat channel, think it’s help or something, maybe Saul was in that one.”
    Either you were never in Atlantic Gen chat or you are just trolling. He came here because everyone had him on ignore, and no one would reply to his trolls in chat.  He also denied playing in fel and Atlantic in threads here....
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Pawain said:
    Yoshi said:
    Either you were never in Atlantic Gen chat or you are just trolling. He came here because everyone had him on ignore, and no one would reply to his trolls in chat.  He also denied playing in fel and Atlantic in threads here....

He's an old atl player. He used to only play EJ and was limited to help chat. I'm surprised he subbed to begin with. 

He's actually a decent guy once he knows his mouth can't get a response out of you.
    Pawain said: Either you were never in Atlantic Gen chat or 
    “No I am not connected to it”
    edited July 2023
    @Rorschach

please delete this video for breach of rules since you deleted mine which showed a screenshot of 3rd party client (on official server) for 1 second and didn’t even name it.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/11916/attunement-second-attempt-to-explain#latest

Yet this video in the OP does name unofficial server and promotes it 

so what if he got 50000+ subs and I have 29, your rules is rules no?”
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I actually enjoyed that video...
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    10 year old me played Pong.  I wonder how fun that would be to revisit.   Ill pass.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    Pawain said:
    10 year old me played Pong.  I wonder how fun that would be to revisit.   Ill pass.
    It'd be fun for about 2 minutes while you reminisced. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    I actually enjoyed that video...
    Agreed, did anyone check to see if he made any more UO Videos? 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited July 2023
    “Well, if this video doesn’t get deleted also @Rorschach
    i guess I found my new signature

*edited for Terms of Service violations*

My video was necessary as part of a bug report to show why people need to download other client to play because of attunement bug, this is not even a bug report

and you closed entire attunement thread over it so it is still broken today so anyone who plays as a human using attunement spell or spell weaver in fel still today has to download third party client because you closed thread and deleted the video describing the issue and resolution, no wonder people leave to play other unofficial servers.
    you literally can’t even report a bug here let alone get it fixed”
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Pawain said:
    It'd be fun for about 2 minutes while you reminisced. 
    Totally relatable. That's what UO has become for me with most content over the past 7 months.

I'll do a run of Doom and remember 15+ years ago doing it and enjoy the memory but after the first round I get bored then immediately  head out. Same with a champ spawn. I do a champ spawn and have that initial feeling like I could be raided at any minute... only to not be raided, get some scrolls and head to the star room which is almost always clear (and this is on ATL). I usually log afterwards. 
    edited July 2023
    Did a search for other YouTube videos by this person..  Looked like this video was listed twice.  Looks like most of his videos deal with another non related to UO video game. Looked at one of them made for newer players of that game.  It was done really well for someone learning how to play that game.  Worth taking a look at if you like gaming videos.

Yoshi when I started, and before I knew the game had a user settings menu, a npc in New Haven kept killing me for no reason at all whenever I attacked anything close to it.  After several deaths figured out a hit area feature on the weapon, hit everything in the general area good or bad.  That was why the npc kept coming after me every time I used the weapon when he was close by.  Maybe that is what happened in the video.  Did not know about horses yet so did not have one of those at the time.  But after discovering how to buy a horse also discovered it could be reserected for about half the price of a new horse shortly thereafter.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    1. No Posting In Breach Of Games’ Terms of Service - You must not post, or link to materials that are, in breach of the games’ Terms of Service. This includes, but is not limited to:
      1. Advertisement or promotion of unofficial servers.
      2. Information on exploits of bugs in sufficient detail to allow others to perform said exploit.
      3. Cash sales of in game items.
This discussion has been closed.