Summer Solstice Decent Idea - Aweful Execution

Looked like a good idea on paper but clearly not thought though. First of all having such short time windows, really 2 - 2 hour windows, to begin with made it highly restrictive. Then to further restrict the possibilities of receiving an item by having only a few winners in games after long lines restricting getting in. Finally, lets not forget to mention that the tide happen what once in the first session? How about the hide and seek game? Really? This is the best you all could come up with? I'm sorry to say this is about as bad as it gets to planning and execution.

Comments

• MsScarlettMsScarlett Posts: 58
    For me there were more positives but I really do believe that if you wait in the line to participate there should be a clicky at the end of the line. There was more than one tide. I was able to get 3 shells so i could share since again nice thing one per acct. I loved the pyramid in that you got a prize in the end with a clicky. Food and drink was nice- no tickets to worry about and again a clicky- run through the line and get it. I did spend way too much time in the dunk line and there were several people who felt the need to cut in that line.. perhaps if there were 4 ems in charge like that they could have had two lines? or at least if you wait you get some prize
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,177
    the tide came in several times, I got the shell necklace on all three of my accounts. I also got the teleporter maze prize on all three as well as the crab and rootbeer.

The Hide and Seek game was FUN! BUT if you don't have a runebook it was difficult.

I still have to do the dunk tank and boat race.

@Mesanna yes we will make you an outfit, just meet Catti at the shop or let me know here what you want, what color, what you want it to say and we will be more then happy to do that!

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    @Larisa ya I really wanted to do the hide and seek but with a mage and runes seems like its not going to happen

boat race and dunking for me as well next :)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    For those who aren't free to attend, but would like a souvenir:

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Nice I hope the clicky stays up until the 12th.

Riner said:
    Looked like a good idea on paper but clearly not thought though. First of all having such short time windows, really 2 - 2 hour windows, to begin with made it highly restrictive. Then to further restrict the possibilities of receiving an item by having only a few winners in games after long lines restricting getting in. Finally, lets not forget to mention that the tide happen what once in the first session? How about the hide and seek game? Really? This is the best you all could come up with? I'm sorry to say this is about as bad as it gets to planning and execution.

@ Mesanna @ Kyronix 
    So you want a time that allows more people to come, then complain about the lines with a more restricted time.  Sounds doable.  :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • HippoHippo Posts: 280
    TONS of people cutting into the queues. I was 4th person in line for boat race (I lined up 2 hours before festival started) so won the ship in a bottle prize :)  Had no idea what I was doing in puzlze tile thing but somehow ran 3 chars through to get the Frog on a stick prizes. I will try the dunking booth this eve and shells for my two other accounts. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    edited July 2023
    I can see where you are coming from Riner. Some of the games / event didn't seem too well thought out with hiccups early on, BUT the EMs did make adjustments as they went. Perfect example was the Beachcomber game went from 5 shells turned in to just 1. I was one of the people that gathered 5 just as they made that change so I had 4 extra I gave to people who needed.

What I noticed:
    • Seems like the pyramid maze was a hit and more games in the future should be like that. Multiple players were able to play at once and kind of go at their own speed. This game probably had one of the shortest lines consistently. 
    • Food/Drink clickies were good so people didn't need to waste time waiting for food and could play games. Tip for 5pm - No need to wait in line! Just hit the clickies.
    • The Hide'n'seek game was probably the most difficult; partly because it was just a little confusing what you needed to do (you do not need detect hidden / reveal spell) and it was run by the Japan EMs so it was a lot of Japanese. It will require you to leave the event and go various places (like Skara etc). At one point, I was given a clue that was in all Japanese which I had to use Google translate to read (this should not be the case). Some clues were a little confusing which I think was due to the English translation. The EMs realized this and did start giving hints in global chat. This game took me about 40min but people didn't have to wait in line... so good idea in theory so people could actively "play the game" but needed ironed out a little more.
    • There was some kind of issue with shells spawning (which also had timers) for Beachcomber. There wasn't a lot of info about where to look besides "the beach" but with the amount of people looking, I don't think enough were spawning initially. I think they turned the spawn up a bit (and only required 1 about half way through) which help but I did spend about 25min looking for 5 shells.
    • Long lines that moved slow. Luckily I won at the dunk tank but if I didn't there was no way I was going to the back of the line to wait again. I'm not sure how long the boat race took or how many rounds there were but the line was long too. 
    • Ludo game only had 4 rounds in 2 hours. With only 4 winners per round, that's 16 prizes in the first window. If you didn't get in for the first round, you are going to wait about an hour at a chance to win (30min for the game in front of you to finish nd 30min for your game to finish).

Things I think can be improved:
    • I think first thing they need to do (for 5pm & future events) is to allow all EMs to speak globally in dark red like Mesanna was doing because their messages/updates were getting lost in a sea of other people in global chat asking questions. The beachcomber & hide'n'seek EMs were messaging in there and people were still asking the same thing the EMs answered.
    • Game rules should be defined ahead of time somewhere and maybe even have an NPC cycle through the message for people in line. Almost every person needed to be explained the dunk tank rules and needed to equip a dagger for it. That slowed things down. Nobody knew what was needed for the Beachcomber event or hide and seek either. Having the details specifically laid out on UO.com would have been a good idea.
    • Stick to games / things that don't require a lot of guidance from EMs or waiting around in line for "rounds" to be completed. Dunk tank is a good example of a game that takes little guidance and lasts maybe 60 seconds a round. Same with Pyramid (multiple players can go at their own pace) and Beachcomber. 
    • Get rid of the lines. People were cutting in line but some people probably had multiple accounts running at once so there were a few instances where I saw gaps in the line because the people in line were probably doing hide and seek or beachcombing on an alternate account and not moving their char. They shouldn't hold up the line just because they are trying to multi task. There is also no way to police the lines, especially in Tram where there is no stam block. My thought would be have like 2-3 dunk tanks and 2-3 Beachcomber EMs (they actually added a second one when the first was getting slammed) and stick to games that are quick so lines aren't really needed. Another thing would be to have like a governor stone where your name gets added to a queue and when it's your turn you get ported to the game.
  • I Spent an hour doing the Hide and seek event only to get to the final "minion" and the ems pulled it with no explanation. The site said the event was 5-7pm so I assumed we had that amount of time to complete it. The ems said nothing about there being a time limit. I figured this would be the better choice of game to do since it included something I enjoy doing. I don't understand the point of having three ems at the game as well, a book in both languages would have been enough explaining the rules, time limit, and from what others are saying the reward was only for the first people to solve it? If that is the case why was that not explained at the start. Every other game had 2nd place prizes. Why not this one...?
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    I liked the event, got some nice prizes. Just need one of these....

• usernameusername Posts: 710
    edited July 2023
    Mariah said:
    For those who aren't free to attend, but would like a souvenir:

Already removed by the time I got home. Couldn't even leave it up for people that WORK? I have an idea, a NORTH AMERICAN GAME scheduling 11-1pm EST, and 5-7pm EST. Half the country isn't even home from work lol. I got home just in time for there to be 4 screen lines for everything. Woohoo. Just as bad as the 25th was. What a terrible event @Mesanna you need to resign/retire now.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    Glad we finally got a hold of you to give you that!

Thank you again for the Festival, it was a blast! Can't wait for the next one!

• RockoRocko Posts: 174
    Unfortunately the clicky tree is gone.
  • firecfirec Posts: 16
    For me, as a returning player that will never see the ability to transfer characters, it ended up being a bit of a nothing-burger. Which in itself is a problem. Events, especially big events are something that should be looked forward to, enjoyed by most / all. For the record, I really enjoyed the Easter event, and it helped my characters to be able to catch up a bit.

It was personally stressful to try and make the limited time frame, and having to get back to real life quickly, I found myself franticly trying to finish the events. I was lucky enough to get a shell though.

But now, without a way to get the items to my home shard, it's meaningless to me.

It feels like when I participate in other EM events. I've never seen a drop, so I just stopped participating, because it feels meaningless. But this being a "highlight" of the season, that's a big disappointment.

If I was able to spend a bit more time there, perhaps it would have been more chill. But it really just seemed difficult and frantic for almost everyone that could make it.
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    Rocko said:
    Seriously, they couldn't have left it up over the weekend? Lol....
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    username said:
    Rocko said:
    Seriously, they couldn't have left it up over the weekend? Lol....
    The sign said until the 12th !! Same thing happened for 25th !! At least the incompetence is consistent!
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    If its gone, someone manually took it down
  • RinerRiner Posts: 366
    Pawain said:
    Nice I hope the clicky stays up until the 12th.

Riner said:

@ Mesanna @ Kyronix 
    So you want a time that allows more people to come, then complain about the lines with a more restricted time.  Sounds doable.  :D
    i just fail to understand the wisdom in holding a special event that not only fails to provide an opportunity to take part to the majority of your player base, but those who do take part are likely to receive little to nothing. What's so hard about a 24 hour event? If they want the EMs to take part, whats wrong with working in shifts? And why a weekday during hours that many would be at work?

• HippoHippo Posts: 280
    firec said:
    For me, as a returning player that will never see the ability to transfer characters, it ended up being a bit of a nothing-burger. Which in itself is a problem. Events, especially big events are something that should be looked forward to, enjoyed by most / all. For the record, I really enjoyed the Easter event, and it helped my characters to be able to catch up a bit.

It was personally stressful to try and make the limited time frame, and having to get back to real life quickly, I found myself franticly trying to finish the events. I was lucky enough to get a shell though.

But now, without a way to get the items to my home shard, it's meaningless to me.

It feels like when I participate in other EM events. I've never seen a drop, so I just stopped participating, because it feels meaningless. But this being a "highlight" of the season, that's a big disappointment.

If I was able to spend a bit more time there, perhaps it would have been more chill. But it really just seemed difficult and frantic for almost everyone that could make it.
    What shard do you need the shell transferred to?
    edited July 2023
    Luckily I was able to join the first session and get some stuff. I went at 4:45pm because I had a spare 30-40min that I could play and it was mobbed with lines going 3 to 4 screens (to the point where you wouldn't even know what you are standing in line for lol). I knew there wouldn't be enough time for me to boat race or Ludo so I headed out.

I missed the 25th anniversary so I do sympathize with the people that couldn't make the event due to it only being a limited time for 1 day. I also feel for the people that weren't able to get a watermelon before the clicky was taken down. That was a super quick removal.

While there were several things I do think should have been better executed, it did feel good to finally log in and look forward to doing something. I also enjoyed the "guards" Mesanna sent when the first time slot was over (crimson dragons / black rock golems / raptors /etc). It was fun working together with people on Origin to take them out. The down side now is that we needed to wait 5 weeks for an event that took 4 hours. And now that the Summer Solstice event is over, we have nothing new to look forward to. 
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    It's good they do it.

It is not a type of event I am interested in, I was pvping through it, I am not interested in the clicky rewards, or being sociable to this degree in Trammel.

But they do different things, appeal to different players, it is cool, the fact you have problems with queues and stuff is just funny, doesn't this always happen everywhere, isn't this just the same old in human life - we can never get it right, but again, be happy it is even like this.
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    Larisa said:
    Glad we finally got a hold of you to give you that!

Thank you again for the Festival, it was a blast! Can't wait for the next one!

She appears white to you and black to me, you must be at the same level of evil.

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    :(
    That isn't my screenshot, I couldn't get a handle on her, she was zipping around the fairgrounds so fast!

One of my guildies managed to get that one thankfully! I always see her as dark so maybe it's their monitor? Or something....not sure!

All I know is that I had a great time, I was in the second to last boat race of the evening and roenick let everyone go before I could even get in my boat! I would have won that one too so I was little peeved about that but over all I had a blast and I can't wait for the next one!

• EM ObsidianEM Obsidian Posts: 321Event Moderator
    https://www.facebook.com/em.obsidian 
    eventmoderatorobsidian@gmail.com
  • firecfirec Posts: 16
    Hippo said:

Siege or Atlantic. Siege I feel would be breaking role-play of my character a bit... If it is even possible to go there.

Either way, thanks for the offer of help. Part of the reason I started playing UO again is because it's an MMO I can play by myself but still somewhat interact with a community... events, running vendors, doing spawns or net tosses. I have very sporadic availability to play, which lends my gameplay to keeping to myself and being a bit of a loner. It just kind of stinks in situations like this that you either need to be a super multi-year vet or in a large guild.

Either way, it was fun

LOVE IT!!!!!

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    firec said:
    Hippo said:

Siege or Atlantic. Siege I feel would be breaking role-play of my character a bit... If it is even possible to go there.

Either way, thanks for the offer of help. Part of the reason I started playing UO again is because it's an MMO I can play by myself but still somewhat interact with a community... events, running vendors, doing spawns or net tosses. I have very sporadic availability to play, which lends my gameplay to keeping to myself and being a bit of a loner. It just kind of stinks in situations like this that you either need to be a super multi-year vet or in a large guild.

Either way, it was fun
    Transfers are not allowed to or from Siege. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 786
    keven2002 said:
    I can see where you are coming from Riner. Some of the games / event didn't seem too well thought out with hiccups early on, BUT the EMs did make adjustments as they went. Perfect example was the Beachcomber game went from 5 shells turned in to just 1. I was one of the people that gathered 5 just as they made that change so I had 4 extra I gave to people who needed.

What I noticed:
    • Seems like the pyramid maze was a hit and more games in the future should be like that. Multiple players were able to play at once and kind of go at their own speed. This game probably had one of the shortest lines consistently. 
    • Food/Drink clickies were good so people didn't need to waste time waiting for food and could play games. Tip for 5pm - No need to wait in line! Just hit the clickies.
    • The Hide'n'seek game was probably the most difficult; partly because it was just a little confusing what you needed to do (you do not need detect hidden / reveal spell) and it was run by the Japan EMs so it was a lot of Japanese. It will require you to leave the event and go various places (like Skara etc). At one point, I was given a clue that was in all Japanese which I had to use Google translate to read (this should not be the case). Some clues were a little confusing which I think was due to the English translation. The EMs realized this and did start giving hints in global chat. This game took me about 40min but people didn't have to wait in line... so good idea in theory so people could actively "play the game" but needed ironed out a little more.
    • There was some kind of issue with shells spawning (which also had timers) for Beachcomber. There wasn't a lot of info about where to look besides "the beach" but with the amount of people looking, I don't think enough were spawning initially. I think they turned the spawn up a bit (and only required 1 about half way through) which help but I did spend about 25min looking for 5 shells.
    • Long lines that moved slow. Luckily I won at the dunk tank but if I didn't there was no way I was going to the back of the line to wait again. I'm not sure how long the boat race took or how many rounds there were but the line was long too. 
    • Ludo game only had 4 rounds in 2 hours. With only 4 winners per round, that's 16 prizes in the first window. If you didn't get in for the first round, you are going to wait about an hour at a chance to win (30min for the game in front of you to finish nd 30min for your game to finish).

Things I think can be improved:
    • I think first thing they need to do (for 5pm & future events) is to allow all EMs to speak globally in dark red like Mesanna was doing because their messages/updates were getting lost in a sea of other people in global chat asking questions. The beachcomber & hide'n'seek EMs were messaging in there and people were still asking the same thing the EMs answered.
    • Game rules should be defined ahead of time somewhere and maybe even have an NPC cycle through the message for people in line. Almost every person needed to be explained the dunk tank rules and needed to equip a dagger for it. That slowed things down. Nobody knew what was needed for the Beachcomber event or hide and seek either. Having the details specifically laid out on UO.com would have been a good idea.
    • Stick to games / things that don't require a lot of guidance from EMs or waiting around in line for "rounds" to be completed. Dunk tank is a good example of a game that takes little guidance and lasts maybe 60 seconds a round. Same with Pyramid (multiple players can go at their own pace) and Beachcomber. 
    • Get rid of the lines. People were cutting in line but some people probably had multiple accounts running at once so there were a few instances where I saw gaps in the line because the people in line were probably doing hide and seek or beachcombing on an alternate account and not moving their char. They shouldn't hold up the line just because they are trying to multi task. There is also no way to police the lines, especially in Tram where there is no stam block. My thought would be have like 2-3 dunk tanks and 2-3 Beachcomber EMs (they actually added a second one when the first was getting slammed) and stick to games that are quick so lines aren't really needed. Another thing would be to have like a governor stone where your name gets added to a queue and when it's your turn you get ported to the game.
    Great post with great ideas. Thanks for taking the time to write it, Kev.

THE NEGATIVE: I can only echo what others have said about not having enough time. And the frustration with the players cheating and cutting in line with multiple characters. 

My day started with 3 hours of standing and walking around on blacktop in 90-degree heat looking for a used car and haggling over the sticker price. OH MY GOD, it sucked so bad!

But I was able to attend the 2nd hour of the first block. Once I figured out where things were I did the clickies for one account. Unsuccessfully looked for shells twice (I think there was some trouble getting the tide to roll in, it seemed to take a long time). Then got in line for the dunk tank. I got three from the front of the line and the clock struck 1:00 EST and shut down before I got a turn.

The second block of 2 hours, I zipped through the clickies with my other two accounts. I jumped around in the pyramid twice. Then I got in line for the dunk tank with ONE character.

In the hour and a half I had left, I successfully got through the dunk tank line twice with no luck at the dart board. I can't speak to what happened in other game lines, but the dunk tank line was full of cheating players. They jumped through the gate, getting in line there, passing more than half the people who started at the back. There were those who moved along with one character but when they got to the front had their other characters join them in line, thus getting multiple tries at the dartboard with a single turn in line. And there were those who literally just jumped in anywhere they liked.

I was on my third try in the dunk tank line when the clock ran out and the game shut down. So, I TOTALLY get why people cheat in order to be able to come up with the prizes. But it sure sucks for those unwilling to cheat. I had 0 time for the other games that required you to get through a long line. It's not much fun to devote almost the entire time at the fair to one game and come up empty.

I hope others will take the time to offer some constructive ideas either in this thread or through some other communication with the devs.

THE POSITIVE: I had a lot of fun chatting with those who stayed awake in line instead of holding it up because they were managing multiple accounts at once. It looked fabulous and fun and festive! Loved it! 

The EM's were as attentive as they could be for the crowd they had to handle. They were friendly, interactive, fun and funny! 

The watermelon is adorable. The root beer is fun! The frog will be cute in the garden! My favorite is the little red crab I can put in a cooking pot! So cute!

I did get a couple shell necklaces because hubby, after doing the clickies, spent most of his time waiting for the tide to roll in. He got in the boat race line, but too late, the clock ran out. I'll look a gift horse in the mouth on the necklace. I was a bit bummed at first, because I thought the prize might be one of those sweet starfish! Then I was bummed I couldn't wear the necklace. Then I was kinda bummed I got two of the same color. Was there more than one color shell necklace to be had?

I do thank the Devs and EMs. I hope they know their time and effort is appreciated despite my complaints that come along with this post.

Thank you again! Happy Summer!

P.S. The colors I saw on the nautilus shells were beautiful! I would have been so happy to keep those instead of turning them in for the necklace!

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    Of the 2 things that I wanted to do during my real life interfering limited time at the event, I was able to get crabs from EM Echo. The other, dunking Obs, I was not able do since he wasn't in the dunk tank at the time. And I didn't score enough points to dunk the EM who was up. But at least I had a brief 2 second chat with Obs so I'll be happy with that.

I really love the idea of periodically all shards getting together in one place and having some fun. I wonder if this is something that the EM's would be interested in doing once in a while as it seems that they have the hands on work during the event. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I wonder if this is something that the EM's would be interested in doing once in a while as it seems that they have the hands on work during the event. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    That's actually not a bad idea to have something like "faire grounds" built / setup somewhere on each shard and then alternate having the faire open for one day (6 to 8 hours total) on a couple shards each month. Any given shard would end up getting the faire maybe twice a year and it would be run by the shard EM. 

It would take a little bit of thought / setup initially but afterwards it should be pretty much "flipping it on".