Your favorite change to the game?

I found myself reflecting on my experience with UO, and, contrary to all the nostalgic feelings I have for the days when I first fell in love with the game (UOR to AoS), I had to actually admit that I have more fun and have been able to accomplish more in today's UO than I did in the past. Some folks may feel the same way owing to certain community advancements that make the game easier to automate and navigate in 2023, but there have also been updates to the game that, even if controversial, made a lot of sense in context and have contributed to the game's longevity.

A few things that stick out in my mind:

1. Custom housing. Some ugly houses, sure, but what a great addition to the game.
  2. Pet training. I'm not a big tamer but can't deny that this is a big deal for a lot of folks.
  3. Vendor search + commission vendors. I'm conflicted here since the game has lost a sense of real estate, but I honestly would not be playing if it weren't for these two things.
  4. Soulstones. I'd prefer these to be craftable in game rather than mostly purchased from the store, but Soulstones have added a lot of value to the game for me by making it easier to experiment and swap templates. I think it was good calculation on the dev team that more people would be willing to pay extra for soulstones than would be willing to open extra accounts and that the mechanic would make the game more fun.

I guess there's the whole Trammel/Felucca split, but that horse has been beaten to death... I'm curious if other folks feel the same way and if there are any other updates that make you say "All in all, this was a good change"?

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Imbuing was and still is my fav. It really helped create equal footing and help those like myself that fell behind with crappy rng drops. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    I'd agree imbuing was a good addition.

I also think the pet training was a very nice addition so players can kind of customize their pets for different things. 

The other thing that I personally liked was adding the masteries to other skills on top of bard masteries. I think some of the masteries should probably be revisted and tweaked to make them a little more worth while but there are several that are very good to use.

Not to derail this thread but these are the exact type of additions / changes that we've been missing the last 3 years. Improving older mechanics is what has helped UO last 20+ years because as the game evolves, the function of other older mechanics also need to evolve. 
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    High seas 
  • looploop Posts: 305
    keven2002 said:
    I'd agree imbuing was a good addition.

I also think the pet training was a very nice addition so players can kind of customize their pets for different things. 

The other thing that I personally liked was adding the masteries to other skills on top of bard masteries. I think some of the masteries should probably be revisted and tweaked to make them a little more worth while but there are several that are very good to use.

Not to derail this thread but these are the exact type of additions / changes that we've been missing the last 3 years. Improving older mechanics is what has helped UO last 20+ years because as the game evolves, the function of other older mechanics also need to evolve. 

+1 for masteries. Not perfectly balanced, you're right, but they add incentive to maintain "real" skill rather than have +skill gear. They also add easy ways to train many skills post-90.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "when they finally corrected sandwhich to sandwich"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    Pet revamp. 
    Adding new magic such as Chivalry.
    Beacons and the pirate vendor. (Used to cost like 12M a month to keep a city buff paid for,  now just toss on cargo)
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    edited July 2023
    That balding dude cutting off his ponytail.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,308
    Getting vendor search to work more than 50% of the time.
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    All of these things listed by folks are what, 5 to 10 years old (or older).  Nothing lately.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    The ability to lock skills and stats.
    The ethy tree in yew fel was the best idea ever, brought a lot of new players back to fel.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2023
    ? Tree ? 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Best addition that saved the game: Shard transfer
    Worst idea in history of UO-kind: Shard bound

The rest are not even close.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    Skett said:
    ? Tree ? 
    He's Trolling, as usual.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Account bound gold, no more checks revolutionized this game.  I volunteered my time for free for almost 10 years being the go between players who didn't trust each other.  Holding up to nearly 1000 x 1m checks on me and pack animals, later on storing the gold on vendors, then paying them out one at a time.  I would do this over 100 times in a single day when hosting a Rare Festivals.  It drove my wife nuts how I dedicated hours and hours of my free time receiving nothing in return solely because I didn't want players to get scammed.  As someone who was scammed so many times throughout the course of UO, I was on crusade to protect players.  When they made account bound gold, I can't express how grateful I was.  The change happened just in time before the arrival of my first son, so even though I still broker for players across shards, I now can enjoy all my free time with sons, and play UO after they go to bed.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Tram, Crafting updates, Imbuing, Pet training just to name a few
  • Queen_MumQueen_Mum Posts: 95
    edited July 2023
    It is hard to think of just one out of many good changes over the 25 years! 
    My very favorite is when MR TACT developed the HOME DECORATING TOOL!

HE DA' MAN 

*COOKIE HUGS*
    *A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away*
    Queen_Mum said:
    It is hard to think of just one out of many good changes over the 25 years! 
    My very favorite is when MR TACT developed the HOME DECORATING TOOL!

HE DA' MAN 

*COOKIE HUGS*

Is that Mesanna ?