The players want better...

No meaningful updates in the past few years. 3rd party clients running rampant -> bots running rampant. Shadowguard, Doom, Champ spawns, ToTs (when they're active). PvP is unplayable unless you want to cheat. Tons of bugs I've reported, via email, forum, direct email to Mesanna and paging a GM to show them, which they said they would forward to Mesanna but YEARS have gone by and they still exist. 

.... and we get 3+ years of neglect for a new game (that no one asked for) with nothing meaningful to show for it and a summer party on Origin (which again no one asked for) when the last Origin anniversary get together was a shit-show. Least they could do is have a summer clicky like they did last year, skip the 'party' which surely will be another joke fest.

The players want better. We deserve better.
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited June 2023
    IBTRorschach
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    Doesn't matter if they lock it or not. It's a sinking ship and it needs to be said. Too many people are quitting to be silent on the matter.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    username said:
    No meaningful updates in the past few years. 3rd party clients running rampant -> bots running rampant. Shadowguard, Doom, Champ spawns, ToTs (when they're active). PvP is unplayable unless you want to cheat. Tons of bugs I've reported, via email, forum, direct email to Mesanna and paging a GM to show them, which they said they would forward to Mesanna but YEARS have gone by and they still exist. 

.... and we get 3+ years of neglect for a new game (that no one asked for) with nothing meaningful to show for it and a summer party on Origin (which again no one asked for) when the last Origin anniversary get together was a shit-show. Least they could do is have a summer clicky like they did last year, skip the 'party' which surely will be another joke fest.

i prefer silence to lies, ty
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,319
    edited June 2023
    Don’t see so much of bots on my shard but don’t see many players or much for sale on vendor search anymore either.  I guess I don’t agree fully with everything  said in the original statement as far as my shard goes but agree 100% with the poster’s conclusions.
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    Arnold7 said:
    Don’t see so much of bots on my shard but don’t see many players or much for sale on vendor search anymore either.  I guess I don’t agree fully with everything  said in the original statement as far as my shard goes but agree 100% with the poster’s conclusions.

I would just like to say this is not to get my post count up, ty
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,178
    edited June 2023
    username said:

You aren't wrong.... I stopped my reoccurring 6 month renewal and will likely let my account go inactive if there isn't something besides a 1 day (repeat) party before they lapse. The recent (past 3 years) lack of creativity/effort on prod shards is frustrating when there have been numerous people offer up ideas of keeping things fresh that utilize existing content/rewards. The events so far this year are almost exactly the same as they were last year with the Easter Eggs and Faire (and I'd assume same Halloween/Krampus/Artisan Fest). The icing on the cake was the lack of any new rewards for the last repeat event. I feel like the mantra of this Dev team like a bad DJ Khaled song... "Ain't nuthin' sweeter than a repeater.... and another one!!".

The other issue with running the exact same event time after time with very few tweaks is that this helps the scripters simply re-run (and fine tune) the scripts they built for the previous event. 

That being said, with the prolonged time between "events" (ie the event after Spring last year was Fall) I'd prefer they just keep rotating old content (with some new rewards) so I at least had some sort of different thing to do... but we haven't even been able to get that lately. Sorry but 2-3 event arcs a year with a few new rewards (zero new rewards for 2023 btw) is simply not enough for me to pay a year long subscription.

All of this lack of content for what? A shard that was supposed to be in Alpha by mid-year and we are 3 days away from surpassing that milestone without a single update on it. It's time to stop throwing good money after bad on that idea and focus all of the Dev resources on keeping what Prod players they have left.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,213
    I'm not happy with the game but I'll make do for now. 

I've said multiple times that I have no idea how a couple spare time programmers can run a free shard better than the paid staff we have. Bugs are promptly fixed. New things added weekly. Clothing choices. Art. You name it it's being done BETTER by people for free. 

How is that possible? Why is that comparison even a thing? 
    ^^Like^^

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,123
    Urge said:

I've said multiple times that I have no idea how a couple spare time programmers can run a free shard better than the paid staff we have. Bugs are promptly fixed. New things added weekly. Clothing choices. Art. You name it it's being done BETTER by people for free. 

Because they can steal things and do not have to create the art and ideas. And Have no responsibility.

Just as they stole the coding that started the shard.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • AlexAlex Posts: 23
    Pawain said:
    Urge said:

Because they can steal things and do not have to create the art and ideas. And Have no responsibility.

but but Yet, they do a better job?
    is that your excuse?

I hope they dont do the same lack of communication and all other bad examples!

no matter what @Pawain , you will say something positive about.

but tbh, people here are not asking anything crazy, no communication, no new ideas or events, a new shard that we all know will never happen and not that anyone asked anyway.

some of the staff are already doing other projects, diving, skydiving, baking new pies and we all here still bitching about.....
    edited June 2023
    Alex said:
    Pawain said:
    Urge said:

but but Yet, they do a better job?
    is that your excuse?

I hope they dont do the same lack of communication and all other bad examples!

no matter what @ Pawain , you will say something positive about.

but tbh, people here are not asking anything crazy, no communication, no new ideas or events, a new shard that we all know will never happen and not that anyone asked anyway.

some of the staff are already doing other projects, diving, skydiving, baking new pies and we all here still bitching about.....
    Stealing art, code, and ideas is much easier than making your on.

If they are so good, why don't they have a money making game on steam like many other developers do,  because they are not developers, they are just thieves.

So the staff is not allowed to take pictures on a Vacation they went on years ago?

And what result has all this bitching got you?  Read my signature.  

Do what a normal person does, play games that you like,  I have blown through Age of Empires 4 and now I'm on Dawn of Man.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    edited June 2023
    Urge said:
    You name it it's being done BETTER by people for free. 
    There are plenty of legitimate comparisons and critiques to be made between OSI and grey shards. But, "for free" is not one of them. It's no secret that the largest, most popular grey shard currently operating is bringing in a ton of revenue for their developers. 

This is revenue that EA has ceded to these grey shards because they don't pursue these people for the theft of the game's intellectual property. I'm sure they have their reasons.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,213
    They have stores as well as the one we have. But as a whole, you can experience everything for free as I have for years. 

I'm not sure I'd say they steal everything. The more popular one OUT has very custom clothing unlike anything we'll ever have here.

It's just kind of a turn off that part timers can pump cool stuff out while we pay a sub to get....(insert your own gripe here)
    Pawain said:
    Urge said:

The "coding" was left on the T2A  cd I believe, nothing was stolen.

• TimTim Posts: 796
    edited June 2023
    Legally not theft but morally hell yes.

And probably the main reason EA decided not to spend a lot of money and effort on a game they no longer have complete control of.
  • firecfirec Posts: 16
    Pawain said:
    Urge said:

I see a lot of poo pooing the devs of this game. Is that constructive? Not really. Is this game being run well? Probably not.

First I want to address the grey shards. Every asset that comes with Ultima online is copyrighted. The grass tiles, the music assets, the sound effects, the UI icons, the fonts, the monster and character graphics, everything. The code that binds these together is copyrighted as well. Any use of any of these materials outside of the owner of the copywrite is theft. This includes if it's considered a pet project that never sees any form of public consumption. Any use is theft, by definition of what a copywrite protects.

I looked at the specific T2A CD on eBay. On the literal CD itself, it states this: "Copywrite electronic arts, inc. All Rights reserved. Origin is an electronic arts brand. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Unauthorized copying, reproduction, public performance or broadcast of this game is a violation of applicable laws."

This means all "grey shards" are illegal. There is NOTHING grey about that. Why EA/Broadsword tolerates them, ESPECIALLY is they are being monetized, I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that it provides enough of a symbiotic relationship that monetarily it doesn't make sense to pursue shutting them down. A free test bed for new ideas, a way to keep players paying their rent on prodo shards while they play elsewhere, a way to assess talent pools for hiring. Or Occam's answer... They're just too lazy or it's such small potatoes that it's irrelevant.

Now let's talk about the devs, and some of the differences between the grey shards and the prodo ones. There's a beautiful recent example of the difference in standards these two parties are held to. There was a pretty high profile grey shard that got released recently... And I guess there were some hiccups. Imagine if those hiccups hit a prodo shard as a result of a tiny coding error, and all of a sudden you could print unlimited gold or duplicate items...  Or even worse steal a house. There's a vastly different consequence to a few missing bits on a grey shard, and a few on the prodo ones. As a result, I think all changes modifications and additions to the game are taken very seriously, and made much more judiciously than anything you would see on a grey shard. As a result, this gives an incredible advantage to the grey shards in terms of being able to be agile.

Now let's talk about the downsides here. The devs absolutely have a responsibility to communicate with their customers better. Going months without communicating anything about the state of the game, upcoming activities, or things that are in the pipeline is just irresponsible. Being entirely unresponsive on bug reports is terrible. I don't know the reasoning behind this... But I do know as a lead developer on many projects, if my customers came to me with a bug or problem that jeopardized our product and I didn't respond within a day, or often a few hours... I'd have been let go. The fact some of these things have not been addressed in decades is actually kind of insane to me from a professional perspective. The devs need to do a better job at communicating.

There's a million reasons why there could be radio silence from the devs. But it's not excusable.

I'll leave with this. I'm complaining, I'm frustrated, and I'm disappointed. I see it on these forums and in game quite often. But rather than be a bunch of whiners and poo pooers....

How can we help? Genuinely, how can WE help? This is our game. This is the game some of us have spent a literal lifetime with. These are our friends, our families, our enemies, our frenemies. These are our houses. Our community. Our stupid digital assets. Like them or not, these are OUR devs. And we are THEIR customers... Their community

How can we help?
  • looploop Posts: 311
    It helps the team to discuss the innovations going on with private servers in contrast with the production servers. It indicates what could be done with the game, what works or doesn't work, and where the market's appetite is for certain mechanics. With New Legacy, I sure do hope they're looking at private servers for inspiration.

Whether or not private servers are legal is a non-sequitur. They're certainly derivative. When you have re-imagined maps, high quality 2D artwork, new systems, and a complete re-invention of the client -- it's unfair to discount all off these as "stolen," and I think there's some mutual benefit in the relationship between the official and private servers.

Also, I appreciate that private servers tend to have a functional avenues for communication. It's nauseating that this forum barely works when you try to post a message.
    edited June 2023
    I looked at the specific T2A CD on eBay. On the literal CD itself, it states this: "Copywrite electronic arts, inc. All Rights reserved. Origin is an electronic arts brand. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Unauthorized copying, reproduction, public performance or broadcast of this game is a violation of applicable laws."

This means all "grey shards" are illegal. There is NOTHING grey about that.

Now post a link to any software company that accidentally left source code on their installation disk and successfully sued anyone for taking advantage of their free "gift".

• looploop Posts: 311
    edited June 2023

Now post a link to any software company that accidentally left source code on their installation disk and successfully sued anyone for taking advantage of their free "gift".

It would still be illegal to use copyrighted material, but you're right that the ship has sailed. It's incumbent upon stakeholders to uphold their rights to materials (that's why you see companies often being litigious on this front), and since no action was taken in the past, a sudden shift to go after private shards would be hard to defend.

And, furthermore, I don't think we want that. It would be a waste of time, and if a court did rule in favor of Broadsword/EA, it would be a blow to the community which extends beyond the small population that still plays the official servers and would set a terrible precedent for MMO emulation.

Regardless, this is all irrelevant. Whether these servers are legal or illegal doesn't have any bearing on their quality/innovation in relation to the official servers, and it's fair for paying customers to hold the official servers to a higher standard.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,259

It was not done by accident.  UO provided a copy so you could play UO offline and never thought that it could be reverse engineered and played online.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 914
    edited June 2023
    firec said:
    Pawain said:
    Urge said:

I see a lot of poo pooing the devs of this game. Is that constructive? Not really. Is this game being run well? Probably not.

First I want to address the grey shards. Every asset that comes with Ultima online is copyrighted. The grass tiles, the music assets, the sound effects, the UI icons, the fonts, the monster and character graphics, everything. The code that binds these together is copyrighted as well. Any use of any of these materials outside of the owner of the copywrite is theft. This includes if it's considered a pet project that never sees any form of public consumption. Any use is theft, by definition of what a copywrite protects.

This means all "grey shards" are illegal. There is NOTHING grey about that. Why EA/Broadsword tolerates them, ESPECIALLY is they are being monetized, I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that it provides enough of a symbiotic relationship that monetarily it doesn't make sense to pursue shutting them down. A free test bed for new ideas, a way to keep players paying their rent on prodo shards while they play elsewhere, a way to assess talent pools for hiring. Or Occam's answer... They're just too lazy or it's such small potatoes that it's irrelevant.

Now let's talk about the devs, and some of the differences between the grey shards and the prodo ones. There's a beautiful recent example of the difference in standards these two parties are held to. There was a pretty high profile grey shard that got released recently... And I guess there were some hiccups. Imagine if those hiccups hit a prodo shard as a result of a tiny coding error, and all of a sudden you could print unlimited gold or duplicate items...  Or even worse steal a house. There's a vastly different consequence to a few missing bits on a grey shard, and a few on the prodo ones. As a result, I think all changes modifications and additions to the game are taken very seriously, and made much more judiciously than anything you would see on a grey shard. As a result, this gives an incredible advantage to the grey shards in terms of being able to be agile.

Now let's talk about the downsides here. The devs absolutely have a responsibility to communicate with their customers better. Going months without communicating anything about the state of the game, upcoming activities, or things that are in the pipeline is just irresponsible. Being entirely unresponsive on bug reports is terrible. I don't know the reasoning behind this... But I do know as a lead developer on many projects, if my customers came to me with a bug or problem that jeopardized our product and I didn't respond within a day, or often a few hours... I'd have been let go. The fact some of these things have not been addressed in decades is actually kind of insane to me from a professional perspective. The devs need to do a better job at communicating.

There's a million reasons why there could be radio silence from the devs. But it's not excusable.

I'll leave with this. I'm complaining, I'm frustrated, and I'm disappointed. I see it on these forums and in game quite often. But rather than be a bunch of whiners and poo pooers....

How can we help? Genuinely, how can WE help? This is our game. This is the game some of us have spent a literal lifetime with. These are our friends, our families, our enemies, our frenemies. These are our houses. Our community. Our stupid digital assets. Like them or not, these are OUR devs. And we are THEIR customers... Their community

How can we help?
    And you have a post count of 4?

Where have you been ,or who are you really

mighty large opinion for a player with such a low count and only joined in March 

just saying…….

It was not done by accident.  UO provided a copy so you could play UO offline and never thought that it could be reverse engineered and played online.

You are the first to ever say it was intentional. I have no memory of any talks of UO being available offline back then...none whatsoever..

@Garth_Grey I am proof that a large post count does not make your opinions better, worse, or any other adjective from my book of Adjectives. 
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,855
    Pawain said:
    @ Garth_Grey I am proof that a large post count does not make your opinions better, worse, or any other adjective from my book of Adjectives. 
    what about Crepuscular?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited June 2023
    UO started 1997, seems to be dying after 20 years. 
    Wow started 2004, just 7 years later, and its so alive almost 20 years old. 

Its not going to get better because many of you love the classic client so much.

The rest of us willing to try new client has already adapted to EC, and even newer clients if they are released. I have tried them all, and would have continued with the others like KR etc if I did not stop playing in between. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Pawain said:
    @ Garth_Grey I am proof that a large post count does not make your opinions better, worse, or any other adjective from my book of Adjectives. 

I think you meant to quote someone else...

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,259

You are the first to ever say it was intentional. I have no memory of any talks of UO being available offline back then...none whatsoever..
    https://uo.stratics.com/content/t2a/index.shtml

T2A gives players the following new features:
    • New landmass with cities and dungeons
    • New animals and monsters
    • Enhanced user interface
      • Big Window, will allow you to drag interface windows off of your play area (Now also available to UO players)
      • More fonts and enhanced character set with diacritical marks from other languages.
      • Profile feature, allows roleplayers to enter a description of their character visible to all
      • Pop-up Help, gives help text when the mouse hovers over an object
      • Enhanced settings interface, no more editing of uo.cfg by hand needed
    • New in-game Chat system, similar to IRC but easier to use
    • Translation between English, French, German and Japanese text
    • New playguide and map
    • UO Demo which can be played solo without being connected to an UO server
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,178
    edited June 2023
    Seth said:
    UO started 1997, seems to be dying after 20 years. 
    Wow started 2004, just 7 years later, and its so alive almost 20 years old. 

Its not going to get better because many of you love the classic client so much.

The rest of us willing to try new client has already adapted to EC, and even newer clients if they are released. I have tried them all, and would have continued with the others like KR etc if I did not stop playing in between. 
    I agree UO seems to be dwindling away (rather fast in the past few years) but I don't think the issue with it not getting better is because of CC vs EC.

The Dev team doesn't regularly communicate with the players anymore or have more than a couple dynamic events a year (ie using existing recycled content); both of those things are independent of CC / EC. It's become pretty clear to me that the team is just looking to go along for the ride until the doors close forever; most likely from the lack of direction/leadership of Mesanna. The biggest issues come down to a lack of communication / ideas which have hardly anything to do with what client you play. They could literally just rotate the same limited type content every month for 4-5 months then start over again to give people things to do and they don't even do that.. everything is already coded for town invasions or ToT yet we've had 1 so far this year. We are getting like the absolute bare minimum right now in my opinion.

Outside of Kyronix and Bleak, I legit have no idea what anyone else is doing because nothing ever seems to be tested in either client (bugs are barely ever fixed) and we might get like 5-6 new pieces of art a year from 2 artist. I'm not sure who is responsible for fixing this website (people still can't stay logged in when not using FireFox) but that's another job that's not getting done and has nothing to do with client preference. The scapegoat of NL is quickly coming to an end too because nobody cares about it anymore. At some point the team is going to have to show us what they have been working on...or maybe they won't because the doors will close and they will just thank everyone for the (free) ride. *shrug*
    Pawain said:

I think you meant to quote someone else...
    Yes. But it did sound like something you would say.  :D
  • ArmyArmy Posts: 9
    Free shards have been far more creative since inception. They cry foul thieves! Imbuing was created on free shards, reforging was created on free shards.. there are whole new 144 fps clients used solely on free shards with scripts disabled and policed. There’s a reason this massive “grey” shard does so well…daily communication, constant bug fixes, tons of new content. None of which looks anything remotely close to OSI. It’s basically UO 2. Ah yes..they haxXored the code 20 years ago from a beta CD. Half the free shard utilities, third party programs are completely open source, integrated into the client to prevent cheating. Steal back! Problem is they are so anti scripting for QOL..Christ what did it take 19 years to add drink potions in the client. When will you all realize the official servers are on maintenance mode.