Publish 112 hotfix regression

ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784

Design change request / issue

According to this post:
"Non-paralithode pets in the Wreck of the Ararat will now drown and upon death will be auto-stabled"

This unfortunately affects tamed rats that are roaming around the ararat.  (indeed, confirmed they will get stabled).

I was looking forward to organizing a guild of players to take down the shadowlord with a large rat infestation.  These can be leveled up to 3 slots, and are almost certainly capable of performing better than the current 4 slot paralithodes.

Ideally, the UO team would consider re-working the mechanics around paralithodes, as well as making the hydra tamable, per the discussion at this link.  (hence the design change request).

Please also consider adding a raffled housing plot (with some limitations) to the underwater area.  (similar to plots in abyss).

The silver serpents in there should also be tamable.

(others have pointed out that at least on atlantic, farming this boss still happens regularly, though the flawed taming mechanic should ideally be fixed).

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited February 2023
    “I’m a bit confused,

how were your guild planning on levelling up the rats on strictly creatures in underwater to 3 slot without them dying? And roughly how long do you think this would take

And how many Ararats were you planning to be able to kill in one session, again without them dying?

also, what is the flawed taming mechanic you’re referencing?
    the only issue I’m aware of that is taming related is that paralithodes attack (but don’t deal/receive damage) other players.

(Have you tried taking pets to do paroxysmus? this is not the only encounter that was designed to exclude pets)”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • You realize you can bond pets without using a stable ?

There is plenty of cannon fodder in there for leveling up purposes.

The thread I linked to discussed a number of suggested improvements to the underwater scenario.  If you don't agree, that's fine.  Even you've pointed out the paralithodes are broken...

edited February 2023
    “Your suggestions are not improvements, 
    there was exploit
    people abused exploit
    They fixed exploit

everything now good

you literally suggested allowing Tritons in underwater, which is most powerful pet, which was the whole exploit in the first place”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • That's your interpretation of the situation, there are several people that have weighed in on this forum that believe the paralithodes and overall taming mechanic is broken.

The current thread talks about rats, not tritons.  To repeat what was said before, it's almost certainly true that a levelled up 3 slot rat, taken from it's native habitat, will out-perform the 4 slot paralithode.  That, in itself, is pretty compelling evidence that things are broken with the paralithode.  Many players learn to master 1-3 slot pets - that's their business.

There would be no "exploit" allowing usage of rats in this way either, they are native to the area. I'm hard pressed to imagine a funnier way of taking out the shadowlord.
    “They are not even getting around to fixing misinformative text errors on mannequins, what’s the point in asking them to revisit something they actually got round to fixing
    and did a good job of fixing,
    its 2 threads you made with no bug listed”
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    edited February 2023
    Yoshi said:
    “They are not even getting around to fixing misinformative text errors on mannequins, ”
    Perhaps your text string suggestions should be provided in all localized variants the game supports?  I'm guessing there is some amount of prioritization going on.  It's not really for me or you to guess what the priorities are.  Most of the text string things I've seen suggested I can live without, since the bug reports are now a form of documentation, eh?

These underwater issues are valid bug(s), and there's no argument that tamed rats worked in the manner I suggested prior to the 112 hotfix, so it's indeed a regression.

edited February 2023
    “You could only have done that in theory, there’s actually no evidence, since you or anybody never tried it, since it’s so convoluted and obscure and not cost/time effective.

i would wager you had no such intent to do so also”
  • Yoshi said:
    “You could only have done that in theory, there’s actually no evidence, since you or anybody never tried it”

That sounds like speculation, and you trying to dictate how others play the game. But, I'll play along a little.

Rats have always been tamable, and they've always been in the Ararat. Posts from you and others, pre-dating the 112 hotfix, have indicated all the taming mechanics were working and being used before the 112 hotfix - vetting dead pets, skilling up pets, logging out tamers in the UW for persistence, etc.
    Yoshi said:
    “so convoluted and obscure ”

What I've described is really no different than skilling up and training any other 1 slot pet, so it's hardly convoluted and obscure. The venue may be different, and it may have escaped other peoples creativity or imagination.  No doubt slot 1->2 pet training can be tricky.
    Yoshi said:
    “not cost/time effective.

i would wager you had no such intent to do so also”

Cost/time effective relative to what?  The one time investment of training up a rat, that would out-perform (particularly over many sessions) the current broken 4 slot paralithodes, plus the entertainment value stemming from that?

Your argument seems to boil down to your interpretation of how players should be playing the game -- please (again) refrain from doing that.  You are in no position to speak to other players intent -- my intent was pretty clear in this thread.

Perhaps the UO team should award you a new title "Protector of the Shadowlords".