• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    Ivenor said:
    JollyJade said:
    Ivenor said:
    JollyJade said:
    Ivenor said:
    JollyJade said:
    I don't see the point to buy only eight extra slots. Why not start with 20 and allow +5 up to 125 items? That would be 25 extra payments, but let's stop at 28 slots LOL. Like the don't want any money. BS is outstanding at not getting it :D
    Because... the same BORING old story: EJ with full Bank access ---> lifelong freeloaders.
    The idea is to get more money out of 25 storage upgrades than from an subscription.

If the average EJ players stays for 6 months, what would make you more revenue: 25 x $10 storage upgrades + other potential items bought from store or a 6 x $15 subscription?

I don't know why people have such a hard time here understanding how FTP can generate more revenue in a shorter time frame.

Is your assumption really that the average player sticks to this game 10+ years??? Did you even play any FTP games at all in the last 5 years? 
    UO is NOT "any (...) game". It's a SANDBOX game, and, IMO, its only chance to stay open for many others years (as we all hope!) is to base its revenue mainly on the FIXED INCOME that derive from subs, plus the added value that derive fron "occasional revenues", as expansion sets (HS, GTP, RTP, etc.) and from the Online Store items sales.
    UO is NOT concieved for "casual" play as many others MMORPG around, so, again IMO obviously, any form of FTP has to be thinked MAINLY as a gateway to subscription (and as a TOTAL BLOCK against serial freeloaders).
    I.
    I take that as a "no" to my question. You should try other games sometimes to get an idea how a good FTP implementation looks like. Never ever have I experienced such an "we don't want you" feeling as with this EJ stuff here.
    JJ, JJ... one sonetimes really wonder why you still pay&play UO, if it is so plentiful of other so much better FTP games around... ;)
    God beware you could learn a thing or two from them.

I pay and play because I have a deeply rooted passion for UO. I want it to survive and thrive.

Sorry to disappoint you here, but my world is not black and white. I can play different games and be honest enough to point out things that are good and things that are bad.

I don't like to run around in cheerleader mode shouting "UO is the greatest thing of all times" while ignoring anything else out there. That's how you come across to me.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited April 2018
    JollyJade said:
    Ivenor said:
    JollyJade said:
    Ivenor said:
    JollyJade said:
    Ivenor said:
    JollyJade said:
    I don't see the point to buy only eight extra slots. Why not start with 20 and allow +5 up to 125 items? That would be 25 extra payments, but let's stop at 28 slots LOL. Like the don't want any money. BS is outstanding at not getting it :D
    Because... the same BORING old story: EJ with full Bank access ---> lifelong freeloaders.
    The idea is to get more money out of 25 storage upgrades than from an subscription.

If the average EJ players stays for 6 months, what would make you more revenue: 25 x $10 storage upgrades + other potential items bought from store or a 6 x $15 subscription?

I don't know why people have such a hard time here understanding how FTP can generate more revenue in a shorter time frame.

Is your assumption really that the average player sticks to this game 10+ years??? Did you even play any FTP games at all in the last 5 years? 
    UO is NOT "any (...) game". It's a SANDBOX game, and, IMO, its only chance to stay open for many others years (as we all hope!) is to base its revenue mainly on the FIXED INCOME that derive from subs, plus the added value that derive fron "occasional revenues", as expansion sets (HS, GTP, RTP, etc.) and from the Online Store items sales.
    UO is NOT concieved for "casual" play as many others MMORPG around, so, again IMO obviously, any form of FTP has to be thinked MAINLY as a gateway to subscription (and as a TOTAL BLOCK against serial freeloaders).
    I.
    I take that as a "no" to my question. You should try other games sometimes to get an idea how a good FTP implementation looks like. Never ever have I experienced such an "we don't want you" feeling as with this EJ stuff here.
    JJ, JJ... one sonetimes really wonder why you still pay&play UO, if it is so plentiful of other so much better FTP games around... ;)
    (...)
    I don't like to run around in cheerleader mode shouting "UO is the greatest thing of all times" while ignoring anything else out there. That's how you come across to me.
    Sorry, no cheerleader here: pastel hues are not the right ones for my complexion and the CL outfits bonueses are far from Legendary level... :D :p ;)

That said, please read carefully the FACTUAL comment below from Thalon:
    Thalon said:
    Well since Jade brought up the subject on what other games offer Free to Play (F2P not FTP). I am not willing to research, but just off the top of my head....

1) World of Warcraft - ?? characters, content to level -20, tiny vault space, limited currency ??

2) Lord of the Rings Online - 2 characters, content to level -30, 20 vault slots, limited currency 2 gold

3) DC Universe Online - 2 characters, content to level 30, -20 vault space, 1,500 currency limit

Ultima Online - 2 characters, majority of content, 20 vault space, unlimited currency

Seems like UO is as good or better than the competition. Anyone who knows what StarTrek, Star Wars Old Republic or any othe F2P offer feel free to add ( or correct me).

• jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    EQ2 - Two characters, content to level 95, 12 personal and 8 shared bank slots, but each slot can hold a container of up to 88 slots, which makes a huge amount of bank space. If you have a guild you also have a guild bank which can hold containers. You can have as many homes as you like and each one has a varying amount of house storage slots, these can also hold containers.
    Anyone who previously had a subscription gets 4 character slots.
    I don't think there is any limit on currency, none that I could find listed anyway.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited April 2018
    jaytin said:
    EQ2 - Two characters, content to level 95, 12 personal and 8 shared bank slots, but each slot can hold a container of up to 88 slots, which makes a huge amount of bank space. If you have a guild you also have a guild bank which can hold containers. You can have as many homes as you like and each one has a varying amount of house storage slots, these can also hold containers.
    Anyone who previously had a subscription gets 4 character slots.
    I don't think there is any limit on currency, none that I could find listed anyway.
    A game that in the last years has made of Sever Merging the norm? Good luck with that:
    https://www.facebook.com/EverQuest2/posts/10153745832903127

• jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    @Thalon asked for examples of other games free-to-play models, I was just obliging him! I've gone through 3 server merges on EQ2 and it didn't really make any difference to my gameplay as housing and guild halls are instanced, but don't get me started on SoE, they lied a LOT!  :/
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    Thalon said:
    Well since Jade brought up the subject on what other games offer Free to Play (F2P not FTP). I am not willing to research, but just off the top of my head....

1) World of Warcraft - ?? characters, content to level -20, tiny vault space, limited currency ??

2) Lord of the Rings Online - 2 characters, content to level -30, 20 vault slots, limited currency 2 gold

3) DC Universe Online - 2 characters, content to level 30, -20 vault space, 1,500 currency limit

Ultima Online - 2 characters, majority of content, 20 vault space, unlimited currency

Seems like UO is as good or better than the competition. Anyone who knows what StarTrek, Star Wars Old Republic or any othe F2P offer feel free to add ( or correct me).
    Star Trek Online (STO) allows to buy storage increase. And plenty of it. They certainly know how to make money ;)

"You will be able to purchase the “12 Inventory Slots” option up to 6 times"
    "You will be able to purchase the “12 Bank Slots” option up to 12 times"

Each of those costs like 10 bucks IIRC. And thats only one item out of their huge repository of store items. There are also tokens to increase shipyard slots, crew slots and basically everything they have.

STO itself does not have the same depth as UO, but their F2P model is IMO pretty superb.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,741
    I'll just be glad to get access to remove items 
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • 20 (28) is fine. If EJ accounts need more storage they can (at some point) buy more via the in-game store or subscribe.

We want people to spend more money. That subsidizes more development. More development creates more content. Its the holy trinity of the F2P revenue model.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    20 (28) is fine. If EJ accounts need more storage they can (at some point) buy more via the in-game store or subscribe.

We want people to spend more money. That subsidizes more development. More development creates more content. Its the holy trinity of the F2P revenue model.
    So you are assuming that EA is going to increase the amount of money that they pay BS to manage DAoC/UO.