My mage is missing tailor skill...

PitrPitr Posts: 181
Greetings... it seems my mage left the first city without getting tailoring started.
Any way to get the skill started after?
(currently gm on all skills... no option to raise tailoring)
Thank you!

Comments

• OkamiOkami Posts: 84
    If you choose mage or fighter path or divergent path you are not allowed to craft.
    If you choose to craft you are not allowed to do anything but the 3 crafting skills.
  • PitrPitr Posts: 181
    thank you!
  • so you cant be do an axer/ lumberjack anymore? or have magery on a smith miner?

• As a crafter, you will start with some swordsmanship skill, which you CAN get to 100. However, you cannot put up tactics at all, nor healing, HOWEVER, you can learn enough alchemy to make greater heal potions, and once you have 100 in swords you can switch that skill to Archery. While I cannot use any special moves (need tactics 30 for base moves) and damage without tactics is very noticable (about half) I can stop killing cows nonstop and go after walruses, even taking on a random Ice Troll in the process, on my three GM  (blacksmithing, carpentry, tailor) crafter no problem.
  • KalseyKalsey Posts: 40
    Pinochle said:
    As a crafter, you will start with some swordsmanship skill, which you CAN get to 100. However, you cannot put up tactics at all, nor healing, HOWEVER, you can learn enough alchemy to make greater heal potions, and once you have 100 in swords you can switch that skill to Archery. While I cannot use any special moves (need tactics 30 for base moves) and damage without tactics is very noticable (about half) I can stop killing cows nonstop and go after walruses, even taking on a random Ice Troll in the process, on my three GM  (blacksmithing, carpentry, tailor) crafter no problem.
    OK thanks.  I'm hoping after Beta we have more input from players like this.  Hate to ask here, being a Beta thread, so hope it's ok.

If we were to switch Swords to Archery would only those two skills be affected?  And would Swordsmanship be lost on the character?  Which skill would you think would be best for a crafter, swords or archery?

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 867
      Which skill would you think would be best for a crafter, swords or archery?

Magery  :/
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,969
    Gee if only there was a divergent path...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 352
    Can't do crafting on a divergent path
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,969
    ZekeTerra said:
    Gee how un UO like
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    LilyGrace said:
      Which skill would you think would be best for a crafter, swords or archery?

Magery  :/

I hope the DEVs consider this.  Crafter should be able to gather/obtain their supplies.  Simply even if only enough the defend, hunt, and travel.  
  • crafters MUST gather their own supplies. Wood, ore, leather all goes straight into a special container used to craft. While you can get sheared wool from a vendor or another player, once turned into cloth it is also not tradable. Good news, these items have zero weight in the container so you can run around with 5000 iron ore and 5000 of each and every other ore, along with 2500 of any and all wood, bad news, you can only take the stuff out by making something that uses it. you can group with another player to hunt for leather, they shoot you loot, but I find is much easier for me to use a crossbow, a good set of armor, a horse, and if really needed a few greater heal potions (though really very rarely). You can trade the automatic swordsmanship skill to different types, but in my mind is either up close or on the run, I refer a bit of distance, so archery is for me. Can get arhery to 100 but no other fighting skills at all, even healing with a bandage is off limits
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 867
    McDougle said:
    ZekeTerra said:
    Gee how un UO like
    It really is about the most un-UO part of what I see in NL that makes me like it less than I’d hoped. One of the best bits of UO has always been the freedom we have to sculpt our character’s skills in unorthodox ways. 

I can’t say as I really understand this push to create strictly adhered to classes. Especially since how classes are being structured in some cases already seems arbitrary. Lock picking by use of blacksmith crafted skeleton keys that can be used by anyone, rather than skill being needed to pick locks is one example. I can live with that, hoping there’s something down the road for a rogue class. 

There are players who’ve never been all about becoming uber, putting together the best high end gear and making sure every .1 of skill lands right where it needs to in order to create the best possible sampire, etc. Not needing to do that in NL is in part what I find very appealing. But I think you’ve thrown the baby out with the bath water.

Not allowing diversity in character building feels like a mistake to me. If not adhering to the templates that are currently laid out for us in NL means forging a legacy in this new world (whatever that comes to mean) becomes impossible, I’m not sure how well that’s going to land. 

Pinochle said:
    crafters MUST gather their own supplies. Wood, ore, leather all goes straight into a special container used to craft. While you can get sheared wool from a vendor or another player, once turned into cloth it is also not tradable. Good news, these items have zero weight in the container so you can run around with 5000 iron ore and 5000 of each and every other ore, along with 2500 of any and all wood, bad news, you can only take the stuff out by making something that uses it. you can group with another player to hunt for leather, they shoot you loot, but I find is much easier for me to use a crossbow, a good set of armor, a horse, and if really needed a few greater heal potions (though really very rarely). You can trade the automatic swordsmanship skill to different types, but in my mind is either up close or on the run, I refer a bit of distance, so archery is for me. Can get arhery to 100 but no other fighting skills at all, even healing with a bandage is off limits

Thank you for this post.  I will be trying out archery for the first time.  Once google teaches me to do it, I've only played mage and crafters.  Oh and a tamer.  Need to get in the habit of using potions.  

The other is runebooks that are charged for travel.  Clicking on the index page of the runebook allows one to travel without magery.  Never knew that.

Get the mounts bonded ASAP.

I had a vendor shop that was not in a prime location.  It did very, very good.  Went back to placing runes around the lands.

Once NL goes live, we should have a forum dedicated to it under Shards.  That alone will be helpful.