Divergent Path skilling - leveling without the narrative line

VioletViolet Posts: 391
I posted my adventures thus far on our New Legacy discord, however I thought even though long I would share it with people here. 

For those who might be interested in skipping the narrative lines and trying the divergent path.  This is more akin to skilling in production Ultima Online with some caveats.

Leaving the moongate you are presented with a fork in the road and a choice to make

Because I am choosing the divergent path, I'm going to "head to the frontlines"

Things to note:
you must pick a baseline character and with that comes certain stats
cannot use this for crafting skills
you must enter combat and kill mobs to gain skill
you cannot do the narrative quests and you will not gain skill from completing quests
housing is locked until you reach 600 skill points and defeat Garthok.
This choice is permanent to the character

Head on down the path until you reach:

Once on the ferry you land on the frontlines:

You now must make another choice:

I chose archer 

and selecting it put me into the frontlines with skill appropriate gear.

You are presented with another choice:  to fight on this island for up to thirty minutes and make some gold (which you probably want for a horse) or head to the west and hop on the boat.

Some of the mobs on this island are a bit difficult for the skill level, but they do leash. Think back to old times and jousting mobs.

You will want to collect the gold from these kills

and arrows too if you are an archer.

Once the 30 minutes are up or you die, you will be removed from the island and moved to your base class's town. (Moonglow - mages, Skara Brae - Archers, Trinsic - Warriors)

I spent probably 10 minutes actively engaging in combat on the island and left with my skils at:

I have almost 900 arrows left and a little gold in my pocket.  It's time for me to grab a horse and set off on fulfilling my legacy~

Comments

• VioletViolet Posts: 391
    Pro Tip: If you want to prioritize one skill gain over another, lock the other skills until the one you want to gain is where you want it.

The skill gains for the divergent path work the same way as they do with the advanced skill gains that you unlock after the narrative path.  Skill gain may seem "slow" at lower skills but you are gaining 1.0 each time.  Also as you get higher the skill gain rate is the same.  So 30-40 would take the same as 90-100.

Less than an hour of doing the divergent patch:

Skill gains seem to be favoring Archery right now.

Another 30ish minutes spent on the leveling via the divergent path got me to this:

I'm curious how leveling will go once I gm archery.

Another 30ish minutes:

So GM archery in under 2 hours total and +21 in both Anatomy and Tactics in that time.
    I'm currently at 267 skills at this time.

Another 30 minutes doing the divergent path skill gaining.

+8 Anatomy, +12 Tactics, +1 healing for a total of +21 skill gain in that 30 minutes.
    Healing is lagging at this point, I think it has something to do with having to be in combat and healing for it to gain. 

I spent 30k of my gold and trained animal taming, animal lore and vet to 50.

I'm now at 438 total in skills.

I spent a few ouple points of taming/lore:

So 15 minutes to go buy taming/lore/vet and tame some polar bears.
    Spent another 30ish minutes fighting with my bears:
    Gained +3 anatomy, +11 lore, +6 taming, +3 tactics.

And yes. You can gain taming and lore from fighting with your pet.

So three and a half hours in that is the present state of my archer tamer using divergent skill gains.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,903
    Why doesn't focus gain?
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    Why doesn't focus gain?

It's actually best you do not get focus to start off with, as it would be taking the gains from more useful warrior skills.  Once you leave the island you can buy it to 50 for 10k, which is way more beneficial than starting it from 30 and having to level it with all the warrior skills.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,643
    Are your skills capped at 600 points going that path?

Guess you won't know for a while.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    720 is the skill cap.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,643
    So I should have been able to keep Inscription. With mage tamer. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • very helpful, thanks
  • PinochlePinochle Posts: 26
    Thank you very much for the time and effort put into this information. I may have to give this a try.
  • OkamiOkami Posts: 84
    I tried the divergent path and it feels very unpolished from a narrative and gameplay standpoint.
    There's no actual explanation of what the frontlines -are-, and the mobs are overtuned for the 50 skill level character they set you up with. The leash effect is never enjoyable. And not being able to use the town boards and skill trainer on this path just feels like it was rushed due to negative response to the quest line options.