First, I apologize for asking so many questions. I don't have a network on Sonoma yet. As I am working on my account there are things that guides seem to miss.

I have made a character for Inscription. This gargoyle also has Imbuing and Alchemy. 

My main question is if I need any other magic skills besides Magery.

Here is what I have on him.

Magery 100
Meditiation
Inscription 81.1
Imbuing 50
Alchemy 70,9
Necromancy 99
Mysticism 50

With the exception of Magery, Inscription, Imbuing and Alchemy, I can make this whatever i want.

Thank your for your help.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 3,170Moderator
    That depends on what you want to be able to do. You can write spells for magery, necromancy and mysticism provided you have the spells to be able to copy them, but if you want to write spellbooks with properties you will need the requisite skill. Have you read the wiki entry for Inscription?

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,387
    edited August 2
    If you intend to create spell scrolls, 7th and 8th circle spells require a ton of mana.  I would recommend getting your meditation skill as high as you can.  When you create those higher level scrolls even with all the mana you can get, you will still spend most of your time sitting doing nothing while you wait waiting for your character to regenerate enough mana to create another scroll.  If you plan on creating scrappers, last time I looked the ingredients cost more than I could sell the scrappers for, but that was several years ago.  Don’t think you need necro. to create that spellbook or scrolls.  Think you just need a necro. book with all the spells in it.  Thanks Mariah for the link.  Previously thought inscription only boosted spell damage.

Good luck with the template.

Note. Reread inscription link.  It says you need necro. and mystic. skill to write those spell books.  Don’t remember it being that way but has been a few years since I created any books.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,170Moderator
    Arnold7 said:

Note. Reread inscription link.  It says you need necro. and mystic. skill to write those spell books.  Don’t remember it being that way but has been a few years since I created any books.

That is under the heading 'Books with Properties'.  You can write plain books without, but you need the skill if you want to be able to add properties.
  • KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 258
    You should consider the 120 magery with scribe for the spellbooks.. necro is usually a support skill don't stress out for the +necro book.. no idea for mysticism.

Personally the scribe on my alt account primary use is to craft a lot of scrolls like mark or gate travel.. wich mean I prioritize that mana.. I like to cap mana regen on the gears, cap INT, +mana shit gears to get ~235+mana..i'm not fancy enough to go with 120 med.. i use GM meditation and for the big craft session I switch a GM skill for focus (mana regen)

Overall we can give u build idea but what is your goal/ what use are u planning to do with it?

Personally on the mule account the scribe is: 120tailor/smith, GM cartography, lockpicking, inscription, meditation and 80 magery (i swap lockpick for focus to craft scrolls and the mule gear are crap but max mana reg, int and + mana on gears and is elf)

If i want to craft spellbook.. I would go on the main account and swap inscription on the appropriate caster with 120 skill (using soulstones)

PS: yes my mule scribe is outdated for treasure hunting, reinstalled recently and back then we didn't needed remove trap ^^
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio
  • PriamPriam Posts: 44
    edited August 2
    First, thank you KroDuk, Mariah and Arnold7. 

I have a crafter with 120 Blacksmithy, 120 Tailoring, 100 Capentry, 100 Tinkering, 100 Fletching and 100 Arms Lore.

I wanted to make an Inscription character to make spell books with properties. Maybe be able to vendor them too. I don't know that i need Necromancy or Mysticism. I just added those on to make the respective books with properties. I added Imbuing to the character, but then i saw the cost and materials needed and that may be beyond my skill.

The character is open to change as well.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,387
    Rune books sell pretty well if priced right.   Use recall scrolls to charge some of them up.  Let potential buyers know how many runes they can hold and how many charges you put in.  Runic atlases sell too but the recipe for them takes awhile to get from doing bulk order deeds.  Spell books with 64 spells sell well but take a while make.  Recall and gate spell scrolls sell, and so do sets of 5th circle and up spells.  Prices vary a lot over time so you need to check your competitors prices once in a while.  I sold all these when I started.  Mostly I made spellbooks to get the slayer books I could not afford at the time.  I don’t sell these things anymore though.  My main character can get more gold faster from just farming stuff.
  • PriamPriam Posts: 44
    Arnold7 said:
    Rune books sell pretty well if priced right.   Use recall scrolls to charge some of them up.  Let potential buyers know how many runes they can hold and how many charges you put in.  Runic atlases sell too but the recipe for them takes awhile to get from doing bulk order deeds.  Spell books with 64 spells sell well but take a while make.  Recall and gate spell scrolls sell, and so do sets of 5th circle and up spells.  Prices vary a lot over time so you need to check your competitors prices once in a while.  I sold all these when I started.  Mostly I made spellbooks to get the slayer books I could not afford at the time.  I don’t sell these things anymore though.  My main character can get more gold faster from just farming stuff.

Thank you for the insight. I am more about trying to fill a perceived need on my shard than to make a lot of money. I haven't tried to farm yet.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,440
    I made a video for filling spell books using EC restock agent. It's here
    edited August 3

If your character is open to change.. I personally like to mix my alchemist with cooking you have thing like fermentation barrel. (cooking bods reward I believe)

Example my cook mule is: 120 smith/tail , GM alchemist, cooking, then for RP reason/ butt naked cook (hobo's delicacies) I did GM begging (u lose karma begging, so i went for poisoning (lose karma as well applying them) + alchemist on same character)

Your main crafter is similar to the one I had.. but with their BODs changes (like now u want to craft musical instrument for bods) I had to switch stuff around (being able to craft anything except the imbuer forge, since queen forge exist, u don't really care)
    +I believe, your tinker does not need to be mix with arms lore; no runic crafting for tinker

PS: do not stress out with 120 necro on your scribe.. usually if u use necro u will have something like magery (necro is a support magery like spellweaving is) wich mean the +necro spellbook could be good for a MAGE that plan to cast vampiric embrace (wich will never happen cuz thing like wraith form exist)
    I'd scrap necro personally. (u can craft necro scroll only by having a necro spellbook in your bag with 0 necro)

EDIT: for you imbuing comment.. I never did one back in 2009 before i stop playing.. i'm doing one right now.. I'm just grabbing every loot and unravel them and since ~90 imbuing i only grab major magic + to unravel.. it slowly climb like ~105,1 imbuing by now.. and for the cost to imbue items all u need is gathering/fishing (if u don't u can buy those gems/pearl) hunt some boss and play in SA to collect the mats.. over time your gonna get all that by playing the game.. just don't stress it out.. BUT if u plan to play UO since 2009 you NEED imbuing to craft those perfect consumable gears or your never gonna be able to be more than a flee <span>:pensive:</span>

The screenshoot is ALL the ingredients u want to imbue (been back since june and already got a decent numbers.. I just unravel bags full of loots to lvl up imbuing)
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
  • ScruffyScruffy Posts: 7
    I didn't see anyone mention this and I haven't played in awhile but I used to go into Lich form using necromancy when making scrolls for the mana regeneration. I am just assuming this still works it has been a few years. 
    edited August 4
    Scruffy said:
    I didn't see anyone mention this and I haven't played in awhile but I used to go into Lich form using necromancy when making scrolls for the mana regeneration. I am just assuming this still works it has been a few years. 
    Good call, still working but kinda useless.. now a day u can find 3-4 MR regen gear from trash mobs really easy 9 pieces including shield/jewelry with 4MR + weapon with 6MR.. knowing pass 30 MR on items is virtually useless.. the 13 MR from lich form count toward that.

on top of that u want 150 int, medable gears and med/focus to help your mana regeneration for the scroll session or just make an alt account and double the result ^^

Edit: I'll have to come on forum only to cry from now on.. took me ~30 try before being able to post on this forum cuz of permission problem.. logging in does nothing.. this is a shame; BoardSword is now part of the lore too cheap to afford the real thing "broadsword"