Reporting a scripter

Genuine question: how many times do you have to report an unattended scripter before action is taken?

I have reported the scripter 4 times and the same character with the same exact gear keeps returning to the spot to do his or her thing.

I was there one time when a GM popped up, the GM actually tried to converse with the scripter and got the same response I had, namely absolutely nothing, and the character got whisked off. However, next day he or she was at it again.

How many warnings do you need? How many times do I have to report the same person? Is it a dev's side hustle? A corrupt GM?

Comments

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,020
    They give them multiple chances to respond even after they whisk them away (they take them to Jail in Bucs Den) they leave them there and ask multiple times before they ban them. As long as they reply before the ban hammer drops, they'll be okay although there may be a "note" placed on the account (this is just speculation on my part) if they wait before being taken to jail to respond. End of the day as long as they reply before the times up they get sent on their merry way. Is this right or wrong? I don't make that decision, but that's the way it was told to me by an EA employee a while back.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 518Moderator
    Several posts and replies have been removed due to personal attacks and baseless conjecture. Please stop. Please review the terms of service. This sort of behavior will be actioned if it does not cease. 
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 321
    edited June 10

Adding my few cents here...

Couple useful posts in this thread are removed because they were stating the inconvenient truth about this issue in the game. Apparently saying more than this will get me banned from here yet again :P
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,612
    edited June 10
    Yes, you were stating conspiracy theories, not truth in any form.  So get yourself banned.

I mean the guy that says he quit and still posts here when we all know you can't post here without a paid account.  He tends to not know what the truth is.

*Inspects the pennies, finds them to be fake*
    shootgun said:

Adding my few cents here...

Couple useful posts in this thread are removed because they were stating the inconvenient truth about this issue in the game. Apparently saying more than this will get me banned from here yet again :P

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited June 10
    Pawain said:

I mean the guy that says he quit and still posts here when we all know you can't post here without a paid account.  He tends to not know what the truth is.

Aint that the truth? I wonder if I could get a refund for the remaining time on my accounts? @Mesanna can you refund me for the time I paid for but not planning to play? You can remove my access to the forum once I get the refund.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,240
    LeBaiton said:
    Genuine question: how many times do you have to report an unattended scripter before action is taken?

I have reported the scripter 4 times and the same character with the same exact gear keeps returning to the spot to do his or her thing.

I was there one time when a GM popped up, the GM actually tried to converse with the scripter and got the same response I had, namely absolutely nothing, and the character got whisked off. However, next day he or she was at it again.

How many warnings do you need? How many times do I have to report the same person?

Assuming you aren't trolling, the question is a bit loaded because there are several things that factor in that players do not know. 
    • First thing is whether or not a GM is even online because depending on the time you report something there might not even be anyone on to look at it. --> You won't really know this.
    • If there is a GM on (like you said you saw), they could be talking to them through the GM chat which is like guild/channel chat that you won't see. --> You won't know this; the GM could also be hidden in front of you and you won't know. You also won't know the level of convo that happens (I've heard saying "hello" is sometimes counted as attended).
    • Even if the GM takes the person away to jail (as Vic said) they still have a chance to respond there in Bucs. --> You won't know this even if you are in Bucs because you can't see the convo in "jail".
    • If all the above "fail" and the person is deemed to be unattended macroing (note - I don't think action scripters but they do action unattended macroing) then they get booted but there are several chances (I've heard 3 strikes but also heard strikes falls off after time). --> You won't know how many strikes or how many hours they were banned.
    At the end of the day there are 4-5 steps after a page is submitted where we don't really know the full details so you might report someone 15 times but if they've responded each time (with something that satisfies the GM) then it won't matter. Rumor mill spinning here but I've heard some scripts are able to kind of answer simple question or say "Hello" when they someone with "GrandMaster" or whatever; I've also heard some scripts have like an alert so that whoever is "unattended" can hop on and talk to a GM if needed.

That said - I thought it was VERY curious that the last newsletter we received basically said that if people are "paging too much" those people paging will get actioned. I get where it's coming from like "don't waste our time" but at the same time if the policing is half-assed then I can see the conspiracy theory there.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 979
    edited June 10
    keven2002 said:

That said - I thought it was VERY curious that the last newsletter we received basically said that if people are "paging too much" those people paging will get actioned. I get where it's coming from like "don't waste our time" but at the same time if the policing is half-assed then I can see the conspiracy theory there.
        Hehe, "Don't waste our time", yea, it does send that vibe doesn't it?,,,  you know, if there's ever an example of a legit player being actioned for paging a GM on a suspected cheater, that'll be the day that leads UO to being shut down.

The fact of the matter is, it shouldn't require a player to page a GM to investigate cheating, it should be detectable, as Mesanna once said it was, they know there are people using O---n Client, they know there are people using R---r and S---m. they choose to do nothing until another player brings it to their attention, and even then most of the time nothing happens because pretty much everyone who's scripting anymore has a loaded response to the generic questions GMs might ask you anyway, or they simply 'terminate client' when a GM starts talking to them.

It's not a good spot when there are few players abiding by the rules, when they clearly could just do anything that breaks the rules/ToS to get some kind of advantage over others,. It's really not been hard to find a blatant scripter in the last several years, now you don't even really have to go looking for them to see them anymore.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited June 10
    CovenantX said:
    It's really not been hard to find a blatant scripter in the last several years, now you don't even really have to go looking for them to see them anymore
    Blatant scripter? Dude, we have been reporting a blatant exploit user that has had monopoly on Atlantic housing market for more than a year, and they are not even bothering to take a look at that.

At this point I am 100% convinced conspiracy theories out there are all true.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 214
    Great lakes jehlom pen ... Same player there for weeks taming bulls nothing done
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,408
    LeBaiton said:
    Personally I think this is a line of BS.GMs are hidden to everyone but the person they are talking to and the conversation between those two can only be seen by the GM and the person they are talking to.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,020
    LeBaiton said:
    Personally I think this is a line of BS.GMs are hidden to everyone but the person they are talking to and the conversation between those two can only be seen by the GM and the person they are talking to.
    I was being nice and left that part out of it, but Yeah, we will never see or hear a GM when they are doing their job unless we are the one they are doing it on.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• LeBaitonLeBaiton Posts: 68
    Victim_Of_Siege said:
    LeBaiton said:
    I was being nice and left that part out of it, but Yeah, we will never see or hear a GM when they are doing their job unless we are the one they are doing it on.

No BS, GM was visible, froze the scripter's char, started asking questions which were visible on screen, char didn't respond, GM took him away, GM never spoke to me, I got the automated message after that that the case would be looked into...

*shrug* but sure, call it BS, what am I supposed to do? I can't proof shit, I didn't take a screenie, I was way too impressed someone actually showed up...
  • SuperfrogSuperfrog Posts: 99
    LeBaiton said:
    Victim_Of_Siege said:
    LeBaiton said:

No BS, GM was visible, froze the scripter's char, started asking questions which were visible on screen, char didn't respond, GM took him away, GM never spoke to me, I got the automated message after that that the case would be looked into...

*shrug* but sure, call it BS, what am I supposed to do? I can't proof shit, I didn't take a screenie, I was way too impressed someone actually showed up...
    Yep, calling BS. GM's don't show to anyone but the person being investigated. 
    LeBaiton said:
    Victim_Of_Siege said:
    LeBaiton said:

I won't call it BS.  Their normal procedure may not be the way you saw it, but the GM is a person not an NPC stuck using game mechanics. 

Why would you say you saw them if you did not? No benefit to lie that makes your story better or worse.  Like you said, at least you know he showed up, most pagers do not know whether a GM was there or not.
  • MumblesMumbles Posts: 18
    LeBaiton said:

I have paged GMs on the scripters inside of fandancer dojos dozens of times. On occasion the  GM does show visibly at location and speaks to the stack of characters in his robe. I can see him saying hello please respond, as well as flamestrike/lightning animations as he tries to get their attention. 
  • creampiecreampie Posts: 91
    edited June 11
    Superfrog said:
    Now you're just trolling...

edited June 13
    LeBaiton said:
    Superfrog said:
    Now you're just trolling...

Like your OP wasn't a Troll . . .
    Superfrog said:

Exactly! So glad we're on the same page now and for your vote of confidence! Have a great evening!
    LeBaiton said:
    Superfrog said:

Exactly! So glad we're on the same page now and for your vote of confidence! Have a great evening!
    You too, Troll.
    Stop trying to take my title.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,251
    People make errors. Even Gms.

I've seen gms tele to a location and be visible for a few before hiding again.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 979
    it does happen, just not often, the GM isn't supposed to be visible by all, unless they choose to be, or mistakenly forget to make sure they're hidden.

However, I have seen Advisors get poisoned at despise champ spawn from a poison field, they were hidden so you saw the message 'Advisor <> is wracked with extreme pain" in the chat box, I could only assume the advisor was being used as a 'cam' to check spawns at the time, cause no one at the spawn was contacting an advisor, and there's no other reason for them to be there, since they have had the power to teleport themselves or other players... likely just one of the many reasons the Advisor program was cancelled, too much abuse.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,240
    CovenantX said:

However, I have seen Advisors get poisoned at despise champ spawn from a poison field, they were hidden so you saw the message 'Advisor <> is wracked with extreme pain" in the chat box,
    I will say that this is the part of UO that I did/do love; that it's such a sandbox style game that there are tons of different things to think about when coding something. Much like how Lord British was killed because they didn't turn invulnerability on or when a GM forgets to lock something down. Things like that are more memorable to me than the event itself.
    edited June 21

The person that created this thread knows nothing happens to the scripters.
    People replying know that nothing happens to the scripters.
    An employee of broadsword that was doing AMA at reddit said that it was the policy to not do anything about scripters.
    You know nothing happens to the scripters.
    I know nothing happens to the scripters.
    Reporting scripters is a waste of time. 

Forget about scripters, even the players who blatantly exploit game mechanics for one and half years and creating monopoly in the game are not facing any kind of punishment despite 1000s of reports. Reporting other players is a waste of time. At this point, scripting and exploiting the game is a feature of the game I guess.

The only time players were actioned against was multiboxing at void pool. This was done to boost UO store sales with luck potion. 

/thread