Town Cryer Issue #9

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com

Comments

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 676
    Well you are more than welcome to join us anytime for a dip in the Moonglow Skinny Dipping Pond on Baja dear Lady.

• Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 233
    edited June 1

So, perusing this newsletter, it appears that...

*looks again*

Hmm...

*adjusts glasses*

Yes absolutely nothing has happened in Ultima Online lately. Glad I'm being kept so informed. Carry on.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,153
    You have to feel sorry for poor fenneko I imagine the office discussions ....So Mesanna can you place those house banners? you failed to ask me first they will never get them use the ostrich method a d never discuss anything about it again...
  • I get not having much to talk about but there are thousands of players in this game. Maybe write about them instead of yourself? Especially if what you write about isn't something players can do.

Unless this is teasing us being able to swim? @Kyronix @Mesanna
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 369
    The flyer was fine and fun.  Thank you @Community Manager
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,164Dev
    These are meant to be fun and whimsical akin to the BNN articles of yesteryear.  For more specific game related information please see the periodic newsletters delivered via mailchimp & UO.com.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,612
    I thought the pool story was funny. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,020
    Pawain said:
    I thought the pool story was funny. 
    Agreed, the first story is about the pool opening and then the next one is about them being arrested for using the Sultans pool, gave me a chuckle. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 233
    Kyronix said:
    These are meant to be fun and whimsical akin to the BNN articles of yesteryear.  For more specific game related information please see the periodic newsletters delivered via mailchimp & UO.com.

I don't know what mailchimp is, but when I mouse over the media tab at the top of this page and select the newsletter archive, the most recent entry is four years old.
    edited June 4
    Kyronix said:

I don't know what mailchimp is, but when I mouse over the media tab at the top of this page and select the newsletter archive, the most recent entry is four years old.

https://us9.campaign-archive.com/home/?u=17d7bd79de495239fca33bcf5&id=3b563e3983

You could have opened any of the newsletters you found and hit past issues and it takes you to the link above.

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,164Dev
    Kyronix said:

Mailchimp is the newsletter tool that we, and most of the world, uses for periodic email correspondence.  We'll update the link to the mailchimp native archive on that page so you can find the most recent entries easier.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,240
    Kyronix said:
    Kyronix said:

Mailchimp is the newsletter tool that we, and most of the world, uses for periodic email correspondence.  We'll update the link to the mailchimp native archive on that page so you can find the most recent entries easier.
    Thank you again for the response Kyronix. 

The archives being outdated is something I feel like people have brought up in the past and was pretty much chalked up by many as "yea I'm not sure - you have to click this other newsletter and find it in this other place"; much like Pawain said. In short it's a very poor user experience (much like not being able to use the browser of my choice to post here in the "official" forum). 

That said, something like this where things are being tidied up is a step in the right direction for improving customer experience by making things a bit more intuitive and user friendly. Now... if we can just "fix" that Chrome issue....
  • JohnKnighthawkeJohnKnighthawke Posts: 424
    Kyronix said:

Thank you for the clarification because I, and apparently others, thought this was intended to be one of those newsletters, except saying nothing. And we sort of felt sorry for your new community manager being put in such a spot.

If you're wondering why we'd think such a thing, please remember three things. One, community/dev relations are kind of at a relatively low ebb, what with most of your energies being put into yet another new shard with another custom rules set rather than into the game proper. (I won't say an all-time-low. I reserve that for my fights with Wilki on Stratics. Which he doesn't remember, and I wish I didn't.) Two, the 'real' newsletters haven't said all-that-much of late, so this'd be not as out of line as one might think.

And, finally, three, most of those newsletters you're talking about (which often included decently done audio stories as well) carried a combination of whimsy and actual information about global in-game events. At present the only global in-game event is the pirate thing, which this newsletter didn't mention. (And if there's fiction for at all, I totally missed it and would appreciate being linked up.)

If this type of comedic newsletter is going to be a regular thing I surely will look forward to being amused by the installments, and I'll be considerably moreso when I know that's their intent!
  • Community ManagerCommunity Manager Posts: 224Dev
    As Kyronix has stated, The Town Cryer is a combination of whimsy and global news that may be going on in Ultima Online. If you're looking for the news (publishes and other information), I highly recommend signing up for the newsletter and keeping a watchful eye on UO.com and/or our social media outlets for all new information and news.
    Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
    Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
    Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
    E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com

As Kyronix has stated, The Town Cryer is a combination of whimsy and global news that may be going on in Ultima Online. If you're looking for the news (publishes and other information), I highly recommend signing up for the newsletter and keeping a watchful eye on UO.com and/or our social media outlets for all new information and news.
    When will the contest winners receive their house banners?  If they aren't can't you just state that
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 321
    edited June 8
    Grimbeard said:
    When will the contest winners receive their house banners?  If they aren't can't you just state that
    The answer is never. It seems like this goes higher than fenenkos pay grade and people above him don't have the time to give single shits about this since they are busy with finishing EJ before the deadline.

They have publicly announced the release date for EJ. If the rumors at global chat and discord are true, then EJ is total mess right now. We are only 3 months from the release date, but the beta test is not even on the radar. If they can't finish it on time, EA hammer might come down. I am guessing there was a warning from EA about the 5 years long development for a single expansion already. So, the contest rewards are irrelevant at this point.
    shootgun said:
    Grimbeard said:
    The answer is never. It seems like this goes higher than fenenkos pay grade and people above him don't have the time to give single shits about this since they are busy with finishing EJ before the deadline.

They have publicly announced the release date for EJ. If the rumors at global chat and discord are true, then EJ is total mess right now. We are only 3 months from the release date, but the beta test is not even on the radar. If they can't finish it on time, EA hammer might come down. I am guessing there was a warning from EA about the 5 years long development for a single expansion already. So, the contest rewards are irrelevant at this point.
    Funny how you could not show proof of any of these lies in unleashed.
    Pawain said:
    shootgun said:
    Grimbeard said:

Funny how you could not show proof of any of these lies in unleashed.
    I won't address the quitter but with zero communication about it we are left with only speculation IMO the new kid failed to ask permission to give banners our narcissistic leader said never and placed a gag order effectively ruining the new kids credibility right away...
    edited June 8
    Grimbeard said:
    I won't address the quitter but with zero communication about it we are left with only speculation IMO the new kid failed to ask permission to give banners our narcissistic leader said never and placed a gag order effectively ruining the new kids credibility right away...

I will leave this here and be on my merry way :P

> And yes, I know of at least 1 GM who was also a prominent rares collector and gold seller. Bonnie was aware of this.

> Realtor was caught multiple times abusing the advisor program to script IDOCs, things Bonnie was made aware of and had swept under the rug.

Ahahaha, now I know why nothing has been done about some exploit users :)

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 518Moderator
    There is a lot of speculation, rumormongering and flat out misinformation here. Be careful where and who you get information from.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,020
    Rorschach said:
    There is a lot of speculation, rumormongering and flat out misinformation here. Be careful where and who you get information from.
    I always get mine from that @kelmo feller. He seems to have the inside scoop . . .
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited June 8
    Rorschach said:

Hmmmmm, we have been reporting the same exploit user for a very long time now... The person in question made at least 6k to 7k dollars thanks to the exploit he is using. Yet, no ToS enforcement action against him is taken...  Sorry buddy but in this case I think I will believe my eyes.

Rorschach said:
    My point exactly why can neither @Community Manager or @Mesanna enlighten us this is strictly a public relations issue with no impact on actual gaming and it's thier lack of communication and accountability that's creating the issue don't the contest winners deserve better than the SOP ostrich style leadership..
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,240
    edited June 9
    Rorschach said:
    Shout out to ya @Rorschach for allowing us to hash this out a bit instead of shutting the thread down (sincerely mean that).

As for the towncryer letters, I can see the light-hearted and playful purpose are the intent of these and I don't have a problem with that when looking at strictly that piece of it. I can tell there was some good effort and thinking that went into it.

That said, when we look at the bigger picture of communication as a whole (ie lack thereof) the light-hearted towncryer seems like it's effort that should have been put toward actually communicating something of substance (like where are we with NL). Just look back a couple of months ago when we were looking for updates on how Pub 117 would work and the only response we received was a thread asking about what our first house was. Ultimately this sort of thing ends up coming off as extremely tone-deaf to the player base (in my opinion).

**EDIT - I have respected the fact that Kyronix will reply to certain things and basically say "we can't do that" or the effort is too much or something to that effect. At the end of the day, if the Dev team (including Comm Manager) would just be straight up with us that is something I can fully get behind because it's more of what you see is what you get. The only thing that deflecting and trying to change topic (or flat out ignoring) does for me is prove they don't have things organized on their end.
  • Rorschach said:

Welcome to UO?