What was your first character template?

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,354
    My first character was the one who's name I adopted as my forum id, she was, and still is a swordswoman, though she has evolved to embrace chivalry and bushido since she was 'born'. She's now older than some of the people playing! But I still play her regularly.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 653
    I thought I could do everything but soon learned that maybe having 5.0 skill in everything doesn't work. She ended up being a cobbler and making shoes, boots and then the glorious day when she could finally make thigh boots happened but it seemed like it took forever.

Anyone else felt so rich when they made their first 10,000 GP?
  • Jha_durJha_dur Posts: 9
    My first character was on Pacific. He was a swordsman named Racul. No idea where I got the name from as I was probably 13 or so at the time. While I did not have any particular template in mind I am sure, I had the following skills:

There are a whole bunch of other random skills on the character as well set to down. I never finished this guy as I played on my dads account and shortly after I started playing on dads account my brother and I got our own accounts. We like to trash talk in game and dad did not want us saying something that would get the account actioned. We ended up starting up on Sonoma when we got our accounts though as that is where dad played.

So many hours were spent down in Shame killing earth elementals.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,259
    edited April 24
    First char was on Baja, Frodo, Blacksmith/Tailor then a Swordsman Robert the First  At the time there were only two Frodos in UO and they were both on Baja, that was when the UO Char search worked.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,125
    Started on LS.  The uo guide book said you can be a vendor.  I assumed you could replace an NPC and sell items.  So, I made a tinker in Minoc.  When I found I could not open my own shop or be the NPC I added warrior skills.  

This was when you could gain skills when you were near someone using a skill.  There were no arrows to not gain a skill.  So I had a template like that picture above.  A bunch of skills that were around 90 and camping...  we all had camping because players would make a campfire near you so you would gain camping.
    That form of harassment made them change the mechanics for skill gain and gave us the skill arrows.

Was about 5 years in before I had a GM skill.

I was a swordsman who used magery and pots for healing.  I had tinkering and mining. 

I used only 1 toon until T2A.  Then I made a crafts person.  Did not make another toon until ML.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • InLorInLor Posts: 412
    It was a warrior with fencing on Great Lakes. And Moonglow and Britain were my main hangouts. I'd train in the swamp east of Britain and later the "bone wall" in Deceit.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 211
    My first fully completed character was a miner that used to hang near Minoc.  Had Max strength , Mining and Blacksmithing, some basic Swords/Tactics/Healing to deal with ruffians (most of which still would get the best of me - especially during the dial up age).  But definitely spent alot of hours mining, smelting and running a little shop to sell my wares circa 1998-1999 when I was still a teen.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,320
    Was a mage.  What I wanted to be.  Secondary skill set went from scribe and alchemist to wrestler and fighter with tactics and anatomy, to mystic mage, to poisoner, and finally settled on treasure hunting.  Grandmastered all skills as I did not have near enough gold to by legendary scrolls or any other scrolls.  Still mostly a mage, just a better one.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 795
    I simultaneously worked on a blacksmith, poisoner and rogue. I made my first fortune selling poisoned katanas at our Moonfire Forge (I could barely keep them in stock). And another fortune (for those days) stealing armor and weapons from town chests found in the guard towers of Trinsic, reselling the items to the npc shopkeepers. I made enough to set down quite a few homes along the coast, north of Cove. 

Reds, Old Dirty Bastard and Blunt Smoker lived just to the south and killed me more times than I could count, but they never got my keys. They and their friends would also be hidden outside my front door. They'd run in when I opened the door then log out immediately. The idea being they'd log back in when I wasn't in the game to loot the house. Nothing was locked down soooo. The only way to prevent this was to try to make sure you covered the house floor with crates so when they logged in they'd be booted outside.

Good times! lol
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,180
    LilyGrace said:
    Reds, Old Dirty Bastard and Blunt Smoker lived just to the south and killed me more times than I could count, but they never got my keys. They and their friends would also be hidden outside my front door. They'd run in when I opened the door then log out immediately. The idea being they'd log back in when I wasn't in the game to loot the house. Nothing was locked down soooo. The only way to prevent this was to try to make sure you covered the house floor with crates so when they logged in they'd be booted outside.

Good times! lol

Funny you mention something like this because I remember sort of thing too back in the day about houses. At the time I loved trying to steal keys and sell them back to people (ship keys too) or making my way into a house to try to ransack it. Looking back now though I'm thinking to myself how that could have probably ruined someone's UO experience; eek :s

That being said, there wasn't nearly the level of item rarity or stockpiling as we have today. I feel like back then almost everything was replaceable (ie armor / weapons / resources). I did enjoy these times though because that was part of the rush playing the game for me; trying to get inside safely (or just hunt in general) without being raided or attacked.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 795
    edited May 3
    The house security thing was definitely problematic for keeping Origin customers happy or keeping them at all. I was really lucky and quick enough, I guess, to banish intruders and not have my house robbed. 

I did know players who quit because everything they owned was stolen, including their house. Placing a house wasn't the easiest thing. Lots of pvp! But at the end of the day it was my observation that the stealthier you were the more likely you were to place.  I cannot tell you how many times I saw the house drop on the ground and a nanosecond later heard my husband whisper, "Got it". Others would get all up in arms and start shouting, You CHEATED! LOL! 

I don't know how he did it. I spent most of the time looking at a grey screen OooOOo. It was pretty funny and pretty fun! And we never cheated.

Anywho, I knew other players who showed me their homes, where almost every tile was covered with a container full of loot. I mean you couldn't possibly have use it all! Not a stick of furniture! Just loot! I guess they must have identified with a Smaug archetype. :D

I don't know how I would have reacted if I'd lost all my virtual possessions. I had a pretty extensive rares collection. Losing that would have made me sad for sure. 

But, yeah, Kev, it sure was exciting.
     :0)
    Yoink!