Securely replacing your house

I currently have a classic "small stone keep" that I've been toying with the idea of switching over to one of the pre-fab customized keeps for the purpose of more usable space.

I've heard some stories about people losing stuff via the moving crate (perhaps things never going to the moving crate). I wanted to see if anyone has done the secure replace of a classic keep over to one of the custom ones and if so how did that work out? I'm assuming everything gets sent over to the moving crate??

Any tips/tricks on making things easier to switch over? Anyone think this is something just to avoid?

Comments

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,412
    Ive converted several castles and keeps I just box everything place it all on first floor never lost anything. If you going move it or resize it it needs to be empty or everything will drop to the ground
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,994Moderator
    edited April 2
    As far as I'm aware the only loss has been caused by the fact that the new keeps sit on a foundation but the old one sits directly on the ground. Move everything up one floor.
    Some things prevent conversion, in this case the option will be greyed out.

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 795
    edited April 2
    I've replaced a regular keep with a new design, then changed that out again a couple times because I couldn't make up my mind which I liked best. I had no issues with losing anything. But I did pack up some items that I would have been most afraid to lose. Soulstones, Shard Shields, vet rewards and a few rares went into backpack or the bank. 

I also packed items up together that I knew I wanted to have live near one another again within the new design. Like forge stuff in one crate. Kitchen stuff in a crate. Just so stuff wouldn't be so scattered. Any way you slice it, it's a lot of packing and unpacking. But if you enjoy playing around with decorating your space you won't mind.

Be aware, EVERYTHING is going to go into the moving crate. It's not like when you make changes to a customizable house. With those if you make changes to the walls and you place a wall where you've items locked down from the previous design, those items land in the moving crate, along with deeded items you've placed on the walls and I think some other deeded items will fall into crate too. Most everything else stays put.

Not the case when you switch out a static designed house. Static isn't really an accurate description, but you know what I mean.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,178
    All good stuff - thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds like I'd have quite a bit to move from the first floor up to the second floor.

LilyGrace said:
    I did pack up some items that I would have been most afraid to lose. Soulstones, Shard Shields, vet rewards and a few rares went into backpack or the bank. 

This was kind of what I was thinking; making sure the soulstones / shard shields / vet rewards went into my backpack so I didn't lose those.
    I do have a garden shed on my roof that I was hoping not to need to pack up but I guess that would fall into the play it safe category so I didn't lose the garden shed or the stuff in it.

Sounds like it will be a lot of work..... decisions.... decisions.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,123
    keven2002 said:
    All good stuff - thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds like I'd have quite a bit to move from the first floor up to the second floor.

LilyGrace said:
    I did pack up some items that I would have been most afraid to lose. Soulstones, Shard Shields, vet rewards and a few rares went into backpack or the bank. 

This was kind of what I was thinking; making sure the soulstones / shard shields / vet rewards went into my backpack so I didn't lose those.
    I do have a garden shed on my roof that I was hoping not to need to pack up but I guess that would fall into the play it safe category so I didn't lose the garden shed or the stuff in it.

Sounds like it will be a lot of work..... decisions.... decisions.
    Tele tiles are your friends. Choose an open location on the new floor plan.  If you have items that would be in walls, those go in the moving crate.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    Tele tiles are your friends. Choose an open location on the new floor plan.  If you have items that would be in walls, those go in the moving crate.
    I'm securely replacing a keep which, to my knowledge, needs to be a pre-fab design.Using a pre-fab design means I cannot add teleport tiles (teleporting within the house), correct?

Also was under the impression that doing the "Securely replace house" option would send everything to the moving crate; not just spots where there might be new obstructions.
    yes, all in the moving crate. Someone has only read half the post again :D
    IF you want teleport tiles you can add the store bought or veteran reward ones later.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,259
    @keven2002 go to TC and place a keep and then go through all the designs to se which one flow the right way for you.  I did a castle and just looking at the drawings I picked out the one I wanted and half way putting everything back it did not feel right so I did another design.  If I would have done it on TC just walking around would have told me which to pick.
    @ keven2002 go to TC and place a keep and then go through all the designs to se which one flow the right way for you.  I did a castle and just looking at the drawings I picked out the one I wanted and half way putting everything back it did not feel right so I did another design.  If I would have done it on TC just walking around would have told me which to pick.

Yep - that's what I did. It was a little cumbersome flipping to the 4 different options I wanted because I had to wait around a day between changing designs before I could change again.

My main obstacle now would be just moving stuff upstairs and boxing everything up. Doable but would take a good amount of time and with the new event possibly landing on TC1 this week, I wouldn't want my house all out of sorts when trying to re-up on resources during the actual event.
    @keven2002 good luck with your move.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,690
    I never converted a keep but have converted a castle. rubble plants will become peculiar plants. so if you have any of those, i would put them in the bank or another house.

I never converted a keep but have converted a castle. rubble plants will become peculiar plants. so if you have any of those, i would put them in the bank or another house.

Good to know - thank you!
    One more question here. My keep is pretty full (I might have like 300 free lock downs); when I convert it to a new style keep will all 4500ish items/house add ons etc all go into a single moving crate or will there be like 45 moving crates?
    one
    Thanks
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,041
    Skett said:
    one
    With many little chest inside it but you can move it From area to area using relocate moving crate 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,957
    I have another question about replacing a Legacy (non custom) house to a custom House.

What happens to the total available number of lockdowns ?

For example, a Keep has 2,625 lockdowns.

Now, with a Legacy Keep all 2,625 Lockdowns are available to the owner. 

Let's suppose, that the owner decides to convert the Legacy (non customizable) Keep to a customizable one.

Customizable Houses, have a Build Menu where the player, from the ground floor, can choose tiles, stairs, add additional floors, make walls etc. etc.

My question is, do all these tiles which are chosen by the hundreds, to build the customized house, a Keep plot in our case, deduct their cost from the max tiles available for that house plot size ?

That is, the owner of the Keep, at the end of the Customization convertion of the Legacy Keep will still end up with a max of 2,625 max lockdowns available or will that figure be possibly less depending on the number of tiles used to design the new Customizable "keep size" house ?

The reason for asking this question, is that when converting a non customizable house to a customizable house, all contents go into a Moving Crate.

Now, if the keep owner had, say, items adding up to that max 2,625, "if" the new, customizable "keep plot size" house will deduct the number of tiles used from that max 2,625 lockdowns figure, the player could end up with a lot more items in the Moving crate that can then be stored in the new, customizable house because that max number of lockdowns has been reduced by the many tiles used.

So, how dows it work in terms of max lockdowns available when converting a Legacy, non customizable House to a fully customizable one ?

Thank you.
    It's still a keep no change 
    edited April 13
    Grimbeard said:
    No matter the number of tiles used up to Design the new, "keep plot size" Customizable home ?

Bottom line is, when converting a Legacy House to a Customizable one, a player can use as many tiles wanted, and the number of Max Lockdowns available for the finished customizable house will always remain untouched with the tiles used up to build it not making a dent to that max number of available lockdowns ?
    popps said:
    Grimbeard said:
    No matter the number of tiles used up to Design the new, "keep plot size" Customizable home ?

Bottom line is, when converting a Legacy House to a Customizable one, a player can use as many tiles wanted, and the number of Max Lockdowns available for the finished customizable house will always remain untouched with the tiles used up to build it not making a dent to that max number of available lockdowns ?
    It's still a keep no change it shows this on the housing tool
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,690
    popps said:
    I have another question about replacing a Legacy (non custom) house to a custom House.

Let's suppose, that the owner decides to convert the Legacy (non customizable) Keep to a customizable one.

Customizable Houses, have a Build Menu where the player, from the ground floor, can choose tiles, stairs, add additional floors, make walls etc. etc.

My question is, do all these tiles which are chosen by the hundreds, to build the customized house, a Keep plot in our case, deduct their cost from the max tiles available for that house plot size ?

That is, the owner of the Keep, at the end of the Customization convertion of the Legacy Keep will still end up with a max of 2,625 max lockdowns available or will that figure be possibly less depending on the number of tiles used to design the new Customizable "keep size" house ?

The reason for asking this question, is that when converting a non customizable house to a customizable house, all contents go into a Moving Crate.

Now, if the keep owner had, say, items adding up to that max 2,625, "if" the new, customizable "keep plot size" house will deduct the number of tiles used from that max 2,625 lockdowns figure, the player could end up with a lot more items in the Moving crate that can then be stored in the new, customizable house because that max number of lockdowns has been reduced by the many tiles used.

So, how dows it work in terms of max lockdowns available when converting a Legacy, non customizable House to a fully customizable one ?

Thank you.
    if the items inside the moving crate are larger than the keep storage. you have to take some of that somewhere else before you are allowed to secure any containers in the new design. 

storage space remains the same. you are only purchasing the design and changing the layout. (cost of the design is on the house placement tool)
    popps said:
    Grimbeard said:

LMAO  Again you question answers, next time trot your little behind over to TC and place a keep and change it.  place a plot the size of a keep and look at the storage/vendor page.
    Jewelry boxes put you over max storage
    Not sure if the map/sos tables do the same.  Your moving create will hold more than your house will just ask anybody that has had vendors drop due to lack of funds, LOL.  That is when I found out the a castle will not hold all my BODs.
    popps said:

Thank you.

First let me correct your misunderstanding, there is no such thing as a 'customizable keep' there are simply some new pre-built designs to choose from. Those being the winning entries from the various competitions. Therefore, as you are simply exchanging one pre-built design for another there is no impact on lockdowns.
    I have started picking up vet rewards to prepare for the conversion to a customized keep. The davies locker I have currently has 470 maps/sos. When I axed it and tried to put it in my pack it said I couldn't hold that many items so I had to change chars. Weird (but good) thing was that when I locked the deed to the davies down, it only took 1 lockdown, but it took up 115 items in my backpack.

I've moved most of my bod books to the second floor so they don't "drop through the floor" (ie get lost) and anything else that I really don't want to lose. I have a little more to go and then I'll be converting.

One thing that I saw another user (on Stratics) have a problem with is the plot being properly placed but couldn't convert it due to terrain (sounded like the custom keeps take up an additional tile or something? Hopefully I don't have this issue or I moved a ton of stuff for no reason lol.
    I was able to replace my house with a new pre-built keep (went with the Lestat build) after tracking down a few rogue snow tiles that were hidden under a few tiles (wouldn't let me convert until I picked them up).

One thing that I can't figure out is how I went from 260ish available lockdowns to -96 after conversion (everything in the moving crate). I can't lockdown anything in my house (ie unpack the moving crate) with a negative number.

I paged a GM and they were also confused why that happened (they submitted a bug report). Anyone know why this is happening? I'm wondering if it's perhaps something to do with a jewelry box or something like that?

I've been trying to find my jewelry box to see if that's the issue but I can't locate it yet. Also can't find several other things that I'm hoping are just buried. I've opened up EC hoping the grid view will help. Is there a reason grid view has a bunch of empty squares in between items when using grid view in EC (not familiar with EC)?

keven2002 said:
    I was able to replace my house with a new pre-built keep (went with the Lestat build) after tracking down a few rogue snow tiles that were hidden under a few tiles (wouldn't let me convert until I picked them up).

One thing that I can't figure out is how I went from 260ish available lockdowns to -96 after conversion (everything in the moving crate). I can't lockdown anything in my house (ie unpack the moving crate) with a negative number.

I paged a GM and they were also confused why that happened (they submitted a bug report). Anyone know why this is happening? I'm wondering if it's perhaps something to do with a jewelry box or something like that?

I've been trying to find my jewelry box to see if that's the issue but I can't locate it yet. Also can't find several other things that I'm hoping are just buried. I've opened up EC hoping the grid view will help. Is there a reason grid view has a bunch of empty squares in between items when using grid view in EC (not familiar with EC)?

That was precisely my concern... that converting a Legacy House to a same size custom one, could cause problems with the number of max available lockdowns decreasing significantly.

@Mariah replied here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/105389/#Comment_105389 that, at least if I understood her reply correctly, this should not happen.

Yet, what has happened to your lockdowns diminishing significantly, gets me puzzled...

edited April 15
    Quick update - I was able to find the jewelry box I had (only had 1) using EC. When I removed it and secured it my lockdowns jumped up by 250-300 items. I also removed a couple of BOD books (thought it might be them blowing out my lockdowns but it wasn't) so with just removing 2 bod books and the jewelry box my lockdowns are up to 400.

Looks like there is an issue with jewelry box item counts when they are not secure @Kyronix
    edited April 15
    keven2002 said:

Jewelry Box, Map/SOS Tables, Rug parts, tiles, books that hold Pink, Blue and PSs, mannequins.  There are a number of items that when placed in a house that do NOT take up any storage spots in the house but will take up spots when placed in moving create.  Now before you can lock down anything you will need to find what has you over the limit.  @Mariah is ther a list of all items that do not take up storage spots in a house?