I made videos about common scams on UO.

shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
edited March 16 in General Discussions
Last week a returning player in our guild got hit by one of these scams. This week he got hit by another. Talk about being unlucky.

I decided to make videos about those and share with the returning/new players in our guild. I am adding them here as well.

In few ours Mariah or Rorschach will make up a rule out of their.... somewhere? and lock this thread. I will keep the videos up to train the newcomers/returning players to our guild unless Mesanna makes up a DMCA rule from her.... somewhere and takes down the videos.

Anyways, share with newcomers/returning players if you think this is useful.

In the first video, people are using description field to misrepresent similar looking items on vendor so they can scam. There used to be 1 guy doing this but now I spotted 2 different guys doing it. I know for a fact that a guildie did it as well until another guildie realized he was doing it and he got chewed violently by everyone in the guild. In time, I expect the number of people doing these kinds of scams to increase since there are no repercussions for doing so.

In the second video, there is a bot waiting at the same house, whenever you buy something worth 1m+ from the vendor the bot kills you and puts the item back to the vendor:

Enjoy!

Comments

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 910
    that is outrageous

thanks for sharing, I bet Mesanna will do sod all about that
    just dont buy off Fel vendors I guess
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    I created a similar thread at stratics. Check it out there if you want to comment when this gets locked.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 292
    edited March 16
    shootgun said:
     I expect the number of people doing these kinds of scams to increase since there are no repercussions for doing so.

This is the problem.

Theres another scam with vendors not mentioned, people exploit the max gold on vendors to put out too low priced items.  I will not mention it here, devs knows about it. One could think that since its been out for years they would find the time to fix it. but nooooooooo lets nooooooooooot

GMs need to take action on these events. Devs need to take action on these events.

• shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited March 16
    psycho said:
    Theres another scam with vendors not mentioned, people exploit the max gold on vendors to put out too low priced items.  I will not mention it here, devs knows about it. One could think that since its been out for years they would find the time to fix it. but nooooooooo lets nooooooooooot
    If you send me a PM with the location of the vendor doing it at Atlantic, I can make a video explaining it. I dont mind losing few millions if it gets the word out.

psycho said:
    GMs need to take action on these events. Devs need to take action on these events.
    If they were going to take actions, they would have done so already. They won't. Forget about scamming, there is a guy using exploits to place 18x18 houses. They did not even take an action against him and his multiple accounts. At this point the only thing we can hope to do is educate the player base, or move to a free shard with more strict rules against exploits, cheating, etc...
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,110
    Click the return to last location on the deed before you buy stuff in fel.  Then if you are attacked you can leave.  
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    There is a piece of shit scammer vendor on Atl house owned by CRAIG 

what a complete tosser 

selling lesser scrolls with high end description

lets hope something awful happens to this person 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,308
    edited March 16
    I only buy blessed items like spell books in Fel.  If it’s something else and it’s just too good of a deal that should tell you something.

Always read the official description and identification carefully.  At the last event a player was selling drops that were not drops at all for 500,000 gold each.  Vender put the name of the event in the seller’s comments so they would come up on vendor search when I was looking to price or buy drops, but when I read the UO description each “drop” being sold was just the usual junk you find on  corpses at the event.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    Scams like this are as old as the game. There's not a lot the developers can realistically do, it's up to the player to check what they're buying.
    Buying stuff in fel and getting killed by the house owner? I knew a player doing this years ago. He didn't need a bot, he just had a communication crystal that picked up when the vendor barked the purchase. (@psycho do you remember Senji's house at Yew lich woods?)