Newsletter 19

I wonder what Vermyn is dropping books. :D

https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/uo-newsletter-19
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
«1

Comments

  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,304
     :D 
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 306
    edited March 12
    Asking for a friend, how can he get a copy of the books in question? He wants to know so he can stay away from the dangerous material :D
    Thanks in advance.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 310
    shootgun said:
    Asking for a friend, how can he get a copy of the books in question? He wants to know so he can stay away from the dangerous material :D
    Thanks in advance.
    I hear they had some at the idoc earlier.  
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,103
    Absolutely zero way to enforce this and 10000% likely to be used to grief yes Mr GM Pawain was dropping them everywhere 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,230
    Looks like a little dig at that other place. I like.


  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 306
    Oreogl said:
    I hear they had some at the idoc earlier.  
    Oh no, I must have missed it. I will be walking around Luna so I can destroy it before it is picked up by an innocent bystander in case it accidentally falls from the pockets of another gentleman. Also, where do you guys get/buy scripts/etc for those nasty 3rd party programs? My friend would really like to stay away from those sites ;p

  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,230
    Urge said:
    Looks like a little dig at that other place. I like.


    Ya they did, I missed it.  But I heard about the newsletter there first.... :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 293
    Sounds to me there will be no easter event with bunnies and eastereggs this time.

    we all looking for moongoats now lol
    wouldnt mind them spawning before the event starts :)


  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,234
    This newsletter seems purposefully light on the details but good to see NL seems to be on track and that we soon be getting the rest of pub 117 on TC1 soon. I did have a few thoughts/observations on the newsletter:

    • Piecing the timeline together, we are getting Pub117 live sometime after Easter (March31) and I'm assuming the first part of April (maybe being hopeful there). If that's true then it seems like we should be getting updates of TC1 for the non-PvP updates before Easter. Mainly just hoping we get adequate time to actually test the stuff on TC1 before it's dropped in Prod.
    • Interesting the Newsletter talks about "any 3rd party clients" and says they aren't legal but then doesn't go into the things that are legal. I feel like this is a misstep and kind of confusing because I thought UOA & Pinco's were technically considered "3rd party" but were approved. Mesanna could have cleared everything up right there by saying what was accepted and anything outside of that is a bannable offense.
    • I guess moongoats are becoming more than an inside joke now? I've ignored it up until now, as just some sort of "you had to be there to know" thing, but since we are now seeing it in the Newsletter I guess I'll bite. Is this anything more than someone mistyping "moongates"?
    • There are a ton of social media / web things that were provided for "keeping up with UO". Is it safe to assume most of them will provide the same info? I'm not big on social media / twitch so the only avenues I really use would be here (and the "other" forum lol) and maybe Youtube if I was looking to see how new content should be used. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something (I don't care about EM events) by not using social media or twitch.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,021Moderator
    Pinco's is NOT a third party program. It is a player created UI. Any player can do this in EC, it's just that Pinco was so good at it, most people chose to use his, and he made it available to all.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,234
    Ah ok - I've never used it as I barely ever use EC so I wasn't really sure what Pinco's was; only that lots of people use it and UO didn't create it.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,230
    edited March 12
    keven2002 said:

    • Interesting the Newsletter talks about "any 3rd party clients" and says they aren't legal but then doesn't go into the things that are legal. I feel like this is a misstep and kind of confusing because I thought UOA & Pinco's were technically considered "3rd party" but were approved. Mesanna could have cleared everything up right there by saying what was accepted and anything outside of that is a bannable offense.

    UOA and Pinco are only considered 3rd party "utility" or add-on to the official client. The only thing i hear about the big O is that it's it own client. Idk. 
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 310
    keven2002 said:
    This newsletter seems purposefully light on the details but good to see NL seems to be on track and that we soon be getting the rest of pub 117 on TC1 soon. I did have a few thoughts/observations on the newsletter:

    • Piecing the timeline together, we are getting Pub117 live sometime after Easter (March31) and I'm assuming the first part of April (maybe being hopeful there). If that's true then it seems like we should be getting updates of TC1 for the non-PvP updates before Easter. Mainly just hoping we get adequate time to actually test the stuff on TC1 before it's dropped in Prod.
    • Interesting the Newsletter talks about "any 3rd party clients" and says they aren't legal but then doesn't go into the things that are legal. I feel like this is a misstep and kind of confusing because I thought UOA & Pinco's were technically considered "3rd party" but were approved. Mesanna could have cleared everything up right there by saying what was accepted and anything outside of that is a bannable offense.
    • I guess moongoats are becoming more than an inside joke now? I've ignored it up until now, as just some sort of "you had to be there to know" thing, but since we are now seeing it in the Newsletter I guess I'll bite. Is this anything more than someone mistyping "moongates"?
    • There are a ton of social media / web things that were provided for "keeping up with UO". Is it safe to assume most of them will provide the same info? I'm not big on social media / twitch so the only avenues I really use would be here (and the "other" forum lol) and maybe Youtube if I was looking to see how new content should be used. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something (I don't care about EM events) by not using social media or twitch.
    Seriously though, what is with the Moongoats?


  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 940
    what I just love about this community is the imagination

    There are loads of goats wandering around Luna bank in Europa that have been tamed/released and renamed "moongoats"

    lol 
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    what I just love about this community is the imagination

    There are loads of goats wandering around Luna bank in Europa that have been tamed/released and renamed "moongoats"

    lol 
    LOL That's great.

  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,179



    Regarding the Moongoats:
    First off, this is not a EM Event on my end. This was Total RP on the part of two Governors and their cities. Yes I did place the moongoats that spout off cords to various moongates in each city because I thought it was kinda cute. Hence why they are not the same color as what was reported nor should they be included on whatever is reported to the King.
    Secondly, this moongoat thing is taking off, Most all shards are happily joining in, because they want....moongoats. I think we can thank the Governors of Britain and Trinsic for creating something so exciting to Baja and other shards through their RP to the King. Governor Rosy misunderstanding when she heard Moongate and Goat and yelling MOONGOATS!!?? really got the ball rolling!
    A big shout out to all the Governors and Baja Folks for keeping this going *salute*

    From EM Echo's Facebook page.

    It's a total RP thing that I absolutely LOVE! They are super cute! At least a few of them are ;)

    Can't wait to see how this all plays out, LOVE the RP aspect so mucho props to the Governors of Brit and Trinsic on Baja.

    We have a few governors on Origin that have RP'd at governor meetings and have inspired our EM to create EM events around our craziness at the meetings.


    Hope to see more of this type of thing!!!


  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    I saw a pink rabbit on Legends near the Moonglow Moongate yesterday. 
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,179
    Yeah that's from the Spring Fever event 2 years ago, they never turned off the colored rabbit spawn so you can still get them.




  • ScamNewsScamNews Posts: 3
    Why not make books and runes decay in few secs?
    That will solve soooo many problems!



  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 252
    Weird world to live in where people putting books on the ground get banned, but not the players using the illegal clients?

    I really don't get the point of releasing New Legacy to be honest any new players will just be fed up with the problems the dev team won't address.  Even private shards have better control over the programs people connect with then this but cheating is okay to do as long as you don't talk about it I guess is the message.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 947
    So, if third-party-programs are detectable, what's the point in going after the books written using the those programs?     

    I'm 100% sure anyone can immediately write a book and drop it after character creation...    What's to stop them from starting up new EJ accounts and repeating it over and over?   

    just seems like unnecessary steps being taken, instead of something that would actually address the issue.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • TimTim Posts: 797
    CovenantX said:
    So, if third-party-programs are detectable, what's the point in going after the books written using the those programs?     

    I missed something.
    Who said third-party-programs are detectable?
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 252
    Tim said:
    CovenantX said:
    So, if third-party-programs are detectable, what's the point in going after the books written using the those programs?     

    I missed something.
    Who said third-party-programs are detectable?

    Mesanna at a meet and greet years ago she was lying though
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 940
    Calvins Crowner's spreadsheet, remember that?

  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 947
    yea, I believe Calvin Crowner (the previous Producer, minus the short stint that Jeff Skalski had) mentioned it more than Mesanna ever has.


    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 940
    edited March 13
    Tim said:
    CovenantX said:
    So, if third-party-programs are detectable, what's the point in going after the books written using the those programs?     

    I missed something.
    Who said third-party-programs are detectable?

    Mesanna at a meet and greet years ago she was lying though
    But at least it scared all the scripters enough to stop th..........

    Oh wait, no it didn't 

    They just laughed and ramped up their efforts knowing they cannot be found, Bravo Mesanna!
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 393
    Mariah said:
    Pinco's is NOT a third party program. It is a player created UI. Any player can do this in EC, it's just that Pinco was so good at it, most people chose to use his, and he made it available to all.
    while im not a fan of pincos (to me its borderline cheating) id like to point out that one of the most used cheats in the game, that goes well beyond anything pincos can do, is also an entire UI, also player created, not technically a third party program. 

  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,234
    edited March 13
    ScamNews said:
    @ Mesanna @ Kyronix
    Why not make books and runes decay in few secs?
    That will solve soooo many problems!




    Noooooo! This is where my old school UO player kicks in... I take runes off the ground in Luna and use them to remark instead of spending the 15gp at the NPC lol.

    I'm sure they probably can detect third party clients depending on some back end stuff (just a guess) but I'm not sure they care to. It's a giant can of worms. If you are going to openly action people using 3rd party clients you can't be selective and ban Joe Shmoe who is using it to gather/fill bods while leaving ATL FEL YEW Moongate Gang to blatantly use scripts which are obviously not something you can do in with CC or EC. That's a very bad look. Then again if they do go around banning all the paid accounts using them they are going to lose a ton of revenue from subscriptions. Kind of between a rock and a hard place.

    That said, I do think if they are going to touch on the subject they should probably draw a line in the sand though. Like Atomic said... seems kind of weird they would action accounts dropping books about 3rd party programs but not the people actually using them. Maybe that is the line they decided to draw?? Seems like a really weird place to draw it but maybe that's the best they can do.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 310
    edited March 13
    keven2002 said:
    ScamNews said:
    @ Mesanna @ Kyronix
    Why not make books and runes decay in few secs?
    That will solve soooo many problems!




    Noooooo! This is where my old school UO player kicks in... I take runes off the ground in Luna and use them to remark instead of spending the 15gp at the NPC lol.

    I'm sure they probably can detect third party clients depending on some back end stuff (just a guess) but I'm not sure they care to. It's a giant can of worms. If you are going to openly action people using 3rd party clients you can't be selective and ban Joe Shmoe who is using it to gather/fill bods while leaving ATL FEL YEW Moongate Gang to blatantly use scripts which are obviously not something you can do in with CC or EC. That's a very bad look. Then again if they do go around banning all the paid accounts using them they are going to lose a ton of revenue from subscriptions. Kind of between a rock and a hard place.

    That said, I do think if they are going to touch on the subject they should probably draw a line in the sand though. Like Atomic said... seems kind of weird they would action accounts dropping books about 3rd party programs but not the people actually using them. Maybe that is the line they decided to draw?? Seems like a really weird place to draw it but maybe that's the best they can do.


    Yeah it’s an odd take.  Ban the advertising of 3rd party programs but not the use of.

    I know darkscribe also mentioned using Punkbuster in the past.  Not sure what happened.

  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,304
    Oreogl said:
    keven2002 said:
    ScamNews said:
    @ Mesanna @ Kyronix
    Why not make books and runes decay in few secs?
    That will solve soooo many problems!




    Noooooo! This is where my old school UO player kicks in... I take runes off the ground in Luna and use them to remark instead of spending the 15gp at the NPC lol.

    I'm sure they probably can detect third party clients depending on some back end stuff (just a guess) but I'm not sure they care to. It's a giant can of worms. If you are going to openly action people using 3rd party clients you can't be selective and ban Joe Shmoe who is using it to gather/fill bods while leaving ATL FEL YEW Moongate Gang to blatantly use scripts which are obviously not something you can do in with CC or EC. That's a very bad look. Then again if they do go around banning all the paid accounts using them they are going to lose a ton of revenue from subscriptions. Kind of between a rock and a hard place.

    That said, I do think if they are going to touch on the subject they should probably draw a line in the sand though. Like Atomic said... seems kind of weird they would action accounts dropping books about 3rd party programs but not the people actually using them. Maybe that is the line they decided to draw?? Seems like a really weird place to draw it but maybe that's the best they can do.


    Yeah it’s an odd take.  Ban the advertising of 3rd party programs but not the use of.

    I know darkscribe also mentioned using Punkbuster in the past.  Not sure what happened.

    Punkbuster was a very evasive program that demanded total access to your entire computer system, not just the UO part, and was prone to a lot of false positives.  Once banned by Punkbuster you were banned on all games under their dome of protection.
Sign In or Register to comment.