Two easy and cheap pets to make to help battle Sea Creatures.

PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
edited March 10 in General Discussions
The sea creatures you encounter when looking for Pirates or Beacons are not difficult for a pet to kill.
The main reason I have a pet is to distract things from damaging me while I am doing other things aboard the ship.

These are both disposable pets, meaning if you mess up training them you can go get another one and start over.  You can only have 1 at a time per toon.

When considering a pet to take on your ship you may want one that can do some damage  from a distance.  And when the target gets to the ship, the pet can also do melee damage.

Pet 1.  The Skree
https://www.uo-cah.com/bestiary/Skree

Found in Ter Mur, the Skree is easy to tame.  

They are one of the few pets that have 2 active magics.  They have Magery and Mysticism.  If you change to a different magic, both go away and will never return.  So, leave the magic abilities alone.  They can use the magics to target and get the attention of a Sea creature before it gets to the ship.

What to look for: 

You want a 3 slot Skree so you can train it 2 levels.  Kill the 4 slot ones.

I prefer to find one with the highest STR or HP and the lowest Intel.  But any will work.

One thing that makes them easy is their resists are high for a pet, you can only add a few more points.
High resist makes them easier to train.

Their Wrestling and magic skills are high when tamed.  You do not have to spend a lot of time skilling them.  You can be picky and get one with over 100 Wrestling and Magery.

They have over 400 intel so you cant get 700 str but the most difficult thing they will fight is a Kraken.
Intel does not increase spell damage enough to compensate for the loss of melee damage you would get if you do not max the strength.  We would all Use Serpentine Dragons if Intel made spell damage a lot higher.

You do not need to add any scrolls.  Pets do not fizzle when casting spells.  100 in all skills is fine for this task.

Build your base pet  and add Armor Ignore.  Makes a nice pocket pet that does not block your view.

If you want to build them in different ways, tame 4 and build them.  They are skilled enough to do damage right after training.

I made a Skree thread for Last year also:
https://community.stratics.com/threads/making-a-skree-for-the-spring-dynamic-spawn.428954/#post-3134718

Pet 2.  Current spawning Nightmare
https://www.uo-cah.com/bestiary/Nightmare

I prefer to get them from Kirin Passage. Its a place a Jawbone will take you.  1 spawns there constantly.
You want a 2 slot one. Kill the 3 slot ones.  May as well get a new color one also. Void is the rare color.

You could be picky with the intensity but any will work for this.

They have Magery and Dragon Breath.  So they can do damage from a distance and aggro from a distance.  All the magery spells work fine.  They will bless themselves etc.

They also start with high enough skills to start fighting right away.  You will need to adjust resistances they way you like them.

I also add Armor Ignore for Melee fighting. 

I prefer to keep the Magery as it is.  I do not need my pets to hop onto a ship.  I don't kill the orcs until I board the ship, and the pet will kill them in 2 chomps.  

You can change to Magery Mastery if you want them to hop around.  They will not return to you and Magery mastery makes most of the Magery spells not work properly.

Since you can only add 1 ability, there are not any other viable builds but to add AI.

I made a Guide that has the Nightmare I will be using on one of my Archers.
https://community.stratics.com/threads/turning-a-current-spawning-2-slot-nightmare-into-a-magery-nightmare.429258/

I do not use either of these pets as the main killer of Dread Pirates. I don't have the patience to wait that long.

Also these will kill Sea Creatures and Orcs without needing scrolls.

You have time to tame, Bond and Train a new pet for the upcoming event.

Either of these pets will make a great companion for you at sea.

If you have questions about taming, make a post here: https://community.stratics.com/forums/uo-tamer.419/
Introduce yourself and describe what you are looking for.

A Guide to make a Giant Beetle to kill stuff and haul away the Booty.
https://community.stratics.com/threads/giant-and-fire-beetle-point-allocation-from-start-to-end.405768/#post-2976199
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Mares are so underrated.
  • Pawain said:

Intel does not increase spell damage enough to compensate for the loss of melee damage you would get if you do not max the strength.  We would all Use Serpentine Dragons if Intel made spell damage a lot higher.
    Funny thing is, i did bring this up to either @Kyronix ; or @Bleak when Pub 97 was on TC, and they did slightly increase the damage bonus that spells get from INT. But obviously not enough, they may have been worried about the effect it would have on the spells of ultra-high INT bosses.

Serpentine Dragons with Magery Mastery actually can deliver some pretty nasty Mind Blasts due to their high INT (Mind Blast deals Cold damage based on INT/Magery), but MM pets will only cast Mind Blast on mobs that are generally weaker to Cold (such as Dragon types).
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 293
    Pawain said:
    The sea creatures you encounter when looking for Pirates or Beacons are not difficult for a pet to kill.
    The main reason I have a pet is to distract things from damaging me while I am doing other things aboard the ship.

These are both disposable pets, meaning if you mess up training them you can go get another one and start over.  You can only have 1 at a time per toon.

When considering a pet to take on your ship you may want one that can do some damage  from a distance.  And when the target gets to the ship, the pet can also do melee damage.

Pet 1.  The Skree
    https://www.uo-cah.com/bestiary/Skree

Found in Ter Mur, the Skree is easy to tame.  

They are one of the few pets that have 2 active magics.  They have Magery and Mysticism.  If you change to a different magic, both go away and will never return.  So, leave the magic abilities alone.  They can use the magics to target and get the attention of a Sea creature before it gets to the ship.

What to look for: 

You want a 3 slot Skree so you can train it 2 levels.  Kill the 4 slot ones.

I prefer to find one with the highest STR or HP and the lowest Intel.  But any will work.

One thing that makes them easy is their resists are high for a pet, you can only add a few more points.
    High resist makes them easier to train.

Their Wrestling and magic skills are high when tamed.  You do not have to spend a lot of time skilling them.  You can be picky and get one with over 100 Wrestling and Magery.

They have over 400 intel so you cant get 700 str but the most difficult thing they will fight is a Kraken.

You do not need to add any scrolls.  Pets do not fizzle when casting spells.  100 in all skills is fine for this task.

Build your base pet  and add Armor Ignore.  Makes a nice pocket pet that does not block your view.

If you want to build them in different ways, tame 4 and build them.  They are skilled enough to do damage right after training.

I made a Skree thread for Last year also:
    https://community.stratics.com/threads/making-a-skree-for-the-spring-dynamic-spawn.428954/#post-3134718

Pet 2.  Current spawning Nightmare
    https://www.uo-cah.com/bestiary/Nightmare

I prefer to get them from Kirin Passage. Its a place a Jawbone will take you.  1 spawns there constantly.
    You want a 2 slot one. Kill the 3 slot ones.  May as well get a new color one also. Void is the rare color.

You could be picky with the intensity but any will work for this.

They have Magery and Dragon Breath.  So they can do damage from a distance and aggro from a distance.  All the magery spells work fine.  They will bless themselves etc.

They also start with high enough skills to start fighting right away.  You will need to adjust resistances they way you like them.

I also add Armor Ignore for Melee fighting. 

I prefer to keep the Magery as it is.  I do not need my pets to hop onto a ship.  I don't kill the orcs until I board the ship, and the pet will kill them in 2 chomps.  

You can change to Magery Mastery if you want them to hop around.  They will not return to you and Magery mastery makes most of the Magery spells not work properly.

Since you can only add 1 ability, there are not any other viable builds but to add AI.

I made a Guide that has the Nightmare I will be using on one of my Archers.
    https://community.stratics.com/threads/turning-a-current-spawning-2-slot-nightmare-into-a-magery-nightmare.429258/

I do not use either of these pets as the main killer of Dread Pirates. I don't have the patience to wait that long.

Also these will kill Sea Creatures and Orcs without needing scrolls.

You have time to tame, Bond and Train a new pet for the upcoming event.

Either of these pets will make a great companion for you at sea.

If you have questions about taming, make a post here: https://community.stratics.com/forums/uo-tamer.419/
    Introduce yourself and describe what you are looking for.

A Guide to make a Giant Beetle to kill stuff and haul away the Booty.
    https://community.stratics.com/threads/giant-and-fire-beetle-point-allocation-from-start-to-end.405768/#post-2976199
    Good write up Pawain, thanks!
  • GraceGrace Posts: 148
    Started to train up a skree again hoping they fixed them. It's back in the stable after it refused to try to cure itself when poisoned and just repeatedly cast heal on itself.

Such a shame this pet is still bugged.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Grace said:
    Started to train up a skree again hoping they fixed them. It's back in the stable after it refused to try to cure itself when poisoned and just repeatedly cast heal on itself.

Such a shame this pet is still bugged.
    Did you put magery mastery on it?
    No it is a new skree, not bonded or leveled yet.  Was just raising its tactics up on an ortanard since it starts at 19.9 

At 45ish took him to the Waste to gain. It got poisoned by deathwatch beetle. Both magery and mysticism started in the 90's so would think that it would attempt to cure or cleanse winds itself. 

Nope, just made the sound of mini heal over and over.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Grace said:
    It got poisoned by deathwatch beetle. Both magery and mysticism started in the 90's so would think that it would attempt to cure or cleanse winds itself. 

It appears the intelligence of that particular skree isn't very high if he's casting heal while poisoned :p
    haha he is actually on the higher end at 576! 
    Has great resist spread and high intensity to make up for it though.

Adopted him for his resist spread and high intensity.  I let go the first one 
    from long time ago.  Will still keep this one and take it for walkabouts
    and hope someday its fixed.

edited March 21
    Grace said:
    No it is a new skree, not bonded or leveled yet.  Was just raising its tactics up on an ortanard since it starts at 19.9 

At 45ish took him to the Waste to gain. It got poisoned by deathwatch beetle. Both magery and mysticism started in the 90's so would think that it would attempt to cure or cleanse winds itself. 

Ill check mine tonight.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    Pawain said:
    Grace said:

Did you choose Magery Mastery?

rather than discouraging people to not use something that's broken convince the developers to fix it 
    edited March 21
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Grace said:

Did you choose Magery Mastery?

rather than discouraging people to not use something that's broken convince the developers to fix it 
    Like I have any pull.   They have known magery mastery and Necro do not work viably for 4 or more years.  At the first M&G after pub 97.  The first thing I said was we need a viable pet with necromancy that works.  They will look into the repair hammer right after they look into that.

Also read my signature.  We can only work with what we have.  You prove that daily complaining gets nothing fixed.  Wishing something worked a different way does nothing for you.
    Grace said:

I took my skree to Beetlescape and have 2 Rune beetles on him.  They are on land he is on ship. He is constantly poisoned and he does not use Arch Cure or Cleansing Winds.  He tries to heal once in a while.

The Skree has 76.8 Resisting Spells.

I had my Giant Beetle with me on another account and I noticed this.  The Beetle would get poisoned and it went away in 1 second. Beetle has 93 Resisting spells.

So, I took my Magery Nightmare there. He has 110 Resisting Spells.   He also got poisoned for 1 second.  My Nightmare killed the 2 Rune beetles very quickly.

I noticed letting Rune Beetles attack your pet is not a fast way to gain Resist Spells.

So my conclusion is that it is better that Arch Cure is not being cast because once the pet is above 90 resist, they really do not need to waste mana or a spell for that.  @Grimbeard wont like that conclusion, but its better than casting arch cure after the poison is gone.

So @Grace ; Use the Skree, get the Resist up to 100 and he will be fine at sea.  Use Spectral Soulbinders to gain Resist.

Since my Nightmare killed those 2 Rune Beetles from a distance so fast, I am going to get the Skree leveled and his resist at 100 and compare.
    What i want is irrelevant broken things should be fixed 
    edited March 22
    Grimbeard said:
    What I want is relevant.  :D 

Things that work better the way they are don't need fixed. Any pet can get 100 resist in 30 min or less.

A guy happens to be at the Mage, so Im helping him to speed his pet thru, so I can get mine done. He happens to have a Mystic Cu.  It has 100 resist and the poison lasts 1 second and the pet is not wasting a spell trying to remove poison that only lasts 1 second.

Its better to understand Game Mechanics than yell Fix Fix Fix sometimes.  You have a thread on Poison and how fast resist removes it.  
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    skree must use 'healing stone' (mysticism) if it makes the healing sound over and over while poisoned, only the first 'use' of the stone would be a noticeable amount healed anyway..

repeat uses of healing stone, heals only a few HP (the hp bar may not even move for something that has anything near 300hp or more, especially when taking ticks of poison damage.

don't hold your breath waiting for a fix... it's not like it wasn't reported within the first month or so (maybe sooner) of the pet revamp going live.... which was several years ago now.    you know, I'd be curious to see this backlog of things for the devs to fix.      the list is probably longer than the code for the entire game by now o:)
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited March 22
    CovenantX said:
    skree must use 'healing stone' (mysticism) if it makes the healing sound over and over while poisoned, only the first 'use' of the stone would be a noticeable amount healed anyway..

repeat uses of healing stone, heals only a few HP (the hp bar may not even move for something that has anything near 300hp or more, especially when taking ticks of poison damage.

don't hold your breath waiting for a fix... it's not like it wasn't reported within the first month or so (maybe sooner) of the pet revamp going live.... which was several years ago now.    you know, I'd be curious to see this backlog of things for the devs to fix.      the list is probably longer than the code for the entire game by now o:)
    After seeing how quickly resist removes poison, I am glad they are not casting and trying to remove it, after its already gone.  The Chiv spells are so fast, they can remove it faster than 1 sec.  

If I could choose 1 thing to fix with pets, it would be for Spell Weaving pets to wait until the target damage is low enough for WoD to do damage.

Next would be making Necromancy work better and remove some intensity from Dread Spiders so they can be built.

Lil dude only took 10 min to get it's resist up to 100, using 8 soulbinders. Now he is parked on a Shadow Ele for melee skills.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 527
    edited March 22
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:

Things that work better the way they are don't need fixed. Any pet can get 100 resist in 30 min or less.

A guy happens to be at the Mage, so Im helping him to speed his pet thru, so I can get mine done. He happens to have a Mystic Cu.  It has 100 resist and the poison lasts 1 second and the pet is not wasting a spell trying to remove poison that only lasts 1 second.

Its better to understand Game Mechanics than yell Fix Fix Fix sometimes.  You have a thread on Poison and how fast resist removes it.  

Resist skill doesn't remove Poison status, it affects your chance of resisting being Poisoned by the Poison spell in the first place (it has zero effect on Poison inflicted by a player or creature's Infectious Strike though). The Poisoning skill however, can cause Poison status to be shrugged off when it goes to tick (which is likely what he noticed on his Giant Beetle). Players or pets with GM Poisoning skill, basically have the same effect of an Orange Petal.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:

Resist skill doesn't remove Poison status, it affects your chance of resisting being Poisoned by the Poison spell in the first place (it has zero effect on Poison inflicted by a player or creature's Infectious Strike though). The Poisoning skill however, can cause Poison status to be shrugged off when it goes to tick (which is likely what he noticed on his Giant Beetle). Players or pets with GM Poisoning skill, basically have the same effect of an Orange Petal.
    Yup the beetle has poisoning.  By shrugged off you must mean ot still gets poisoned but it goes away quick, because that was happening. You so smart.

I got the Skree trained and skilled last night, then took ot to bettlescape again on a ship and brought 2 rune beetles to it.  The beetles were casting fast at the beginning. The Skree was constantly poisoned. It got to 1/2 HP I bandaged it to full HP.  It and the beetles mana pool probably ran out because after that the Skree stayed at 95% or above HP. The creature s kept shooting at each other.  The Skree would change targets often, when a Beetle would get to low HP it would walk away, heal up, then return.  I let that go on for over an hour while I watched TV on another monitor.  Finally both beetles got low HP and walked away and didn't return.

So that could be a less boring way to train up the magic skills on a Skree than using Gregorio like I usually do.

That does not mean the Skree is weak.  A sea creature would come up to the ship and the pet would melee it to death.  

I also never saw the Skree use bombard on the crazy mage or the beetles.   That was the main thing I liked about pets with mystic.  They shot rocks out of their mouth.
    edited March 23
    I tested the Nightmare and Skree on 2 Rune beetles the pets on a ship the beetles on land.  Only pet magic damages the beetles. With these results.

Skree:
    Damage the two beetles to low HP Beetles would walk away to heal and return. This would last until beetles walked away.

Magery Nightmare:
    Would kill 2 beetles in a min or so. Did more damage because of Dragon Breath and fireball. Horse would almost chain fireballs. Threw in some Flame Strikes.

Decided to test Dragon Breath using a Reptalon:
    Similar to the Skree, Beetles would get low life and walk away.  They did get to lower life than the Skree took them to.  So they walked away and didn't return.

Tested Mystic using a Mystic/Goo Cu:
    Cu would take a while to kill them both but it could.  It did shoot rocks.

So, out of these abiltities.
    Magery/Dragon Breath   -- Nightmare
    Mystic/Magery  --  Skree
    Dragon Breath  --  Reptalon
    Mystic  --  CuSidhe

The Nightmare rules with the Trifecta of Dragon Breath, Fireball, Flame Strike.

The Beetles attacks did not affect the pets abilities, they all stay at full healed with no outside help.

Also have taken each pet on a ship to help with spawn.  They all kill things because the sea targets come up to the ship and the pet Melees.

Again I think the Nightmare is the better of the four,  It guides itself to most targets.
    Skree close second.  Others kinda blah.

Many players on LS use Banes as their Ship pet.

I wanted to test Magery alone.  The only pet I have with just Magery, which is a Bake Kitsune that is untrained.  I gave it some resists and HP regen. Skilled him up.

Put him on 2 Rune Beetles.  When he gets poisoned it looks like he is Curing himself because he casts and the poison goes away. I could not get a pic of the sparkling.  Unless @PlayerSkillFTW has a reason Bakes auto poison removal.

He mostly just casts cure and heals. His HP is 329 and he does not go below 300. The 2 Beetles are casting away and he does not shoot at them very often.

After 30 minutes, 1 beetle is at half life and the other is unharmed.

It is better when Magery pets do not cast Cure.  20 HP Regen overcomes the loss of Poison damage. They also should not be casting heal when their HP is like the picture. They should be killing the mob and not worrying about themselves.

So, the Nightmare and Skree are still my favorites.

Phoenix is too ugly for me to try one.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 527
    edited March 24
    Pawain said:
    Yup the beetle has poisoning.  By shrugged off you must mean ot still gets poisoned but it goes away quick, because that was happening. You so smart.

Yep, whenever the Poison goes to tick (deal damage), it checks the victim's Poisoning skill, and depending on their Poisoning skill there's a % chance to remove the Poison status (shrug it off) rather than deal damage, in the same manner that an Orange Petal works. Higher level poisons however, are harder to shrug off. This is why i train my Chiv+AI Bane Dragons (or Wildfire Ostards) up to GM Poisoning skill (by allowing them to repeatedly get hit in melee, which triggers their innate reactive Poison Skin), they become more resilient to Poison status (they don't even need to cast Cleanse by Fire on most of the lower level Poisons).

Pawain said:
    It is better when Magery pets do not cast Cure.  20 HP Regen overcomes the loss of Poison damage. They also should not be casting heal when their HP is like the picture. They should be killing the mob and not worrying about themselves.

Magery pets casting Cure on themselves is still useful, since even Lesser Poison (Lvl 1) will interfere with vet or spell healing attempts on the pet. If a pet is taking heavy damage and gets poisoned, them curing themself can allow your bandage to actually heal HP, rather than just cure the Poison. At least it's better than Magery Mastery pets casting Arch Cure on their opponent. But yeah, pet's casting Greater Heal on themself when above 80% Health isn't all that great.
    edited March 24
    The Bake Kitsune is fresh I did not put poisoning on it.  So, not sure what it was doing to remove the poison so fast.  

One of my pet healing macro does bandage first then a delay for a G Heal.  So its ok if my pet is poisoned because the bandage removes it then it gets a G Heal.

There are a few pet types that have enough training points to benefit from that info.  Reptalons would be one and Tritons.  I would have to test Reptalons tho, they already have 2 abilities so you may not be able to put AI on them if you do that. 

But a High Intensity triton you could put poison on, get it to 100 then make it AI/Chiv or whatever. Then it will shrug off poison.
    All great examples and stuff but both magery mastery and necro mage still broke and shouldn't be but continue to put lipstick on the pig
    Grimbeard said:
    All great examples and stuff but both magery mastery and necro mage still broke and shouldn't be but continue to put lipstick on the pig
    Its called playing the game within the parameters we have.  Bug reports were filed years ago.
    At this point it is working as intended it is right now. So, players can make informed decisions.

Nothing results from your daily complaining.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Its called playing the game within the parameters we have.  Bug reports were filed years ago.
    At this point it is working as intended it is right now. So, players can make informed decisions.

So we just accept broken stuff what percentage of stuff can be broken in NL before its an issue? 
    edited March 24
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:

So we just accept broken stuff what percentage of stuff can be broken in NL before its an issue? 
    You are still paying, so the answer is yes, in your case.

What are you gonna do other than accept?  Whining and complaining does nothing.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:

You are still paying, so the answer is yes, in your case.

What are you gonna do other than accept?  Whining and complaining does nothing.
    If you spent just a third of your post count asking for fixes vs selling koolaid you'd still have 500 more post than me and things might get fixed but just keep accepting mediocrity 
  • Grimbeard said:
    One thing they could do to buff up Magery Mastery pets, besides just fixing their bugged AI, is to give them access to AoE spells like Chain Lightning, Meteor Swarm, and maybe even Earthquake, with an AI that prioritizes these spellcasts when fighting 2+ opponents.

Back in the day, Gen 1 WWs were able to cast Mass Curse, but that would cause flagging issues back then (which have been mostly fixed with a Pub 97 hotfix), so they removed that spell from them. Can't begin to tell you how many times my Hades would cast Mass Curse on an enemy directly in front of him, and it would also hit me as i was standing directly behind him vetting him, and he'd turn around and chomp me. OoOoO.
    Ki-Rins cast Chain Lightning on an aggressor that brings their rider to low health.