Multi Clienting? Multi Boxing? What would get me banned? What would not?

Hey guys,

What is the difference between those things? What gets you banned and what doesn't?

For example, when I am doing TMaps, can I park my archer outside of the screen, activate a macro attack closest in EC in a loop?

After that, I will dig the map with my tamer and then bring all of the spawned mobs closer to my archer so my pet and archer can kill them faster.

Would something like this get me banned? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    Are you controlling more than 1 character at a time with a single command other than following? (Multiboxing) Are you ignoring 1 or more characters that are doing something while working another character?(Unattended macroing) If you're doing either of these things this theoretically should be cause for a ban/warning. But we've been asking for years for clarification of this and this question has been not responded to by those that can give us a real answer. Yet. I have hope. :)
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Multibox is controlling all characters at the same time. Supposed ban.

Multiclient is controlling each account separate. They said it's fine.

What you're wanting to do is considered multiclient BUT with auto attack going that could fall under unattended macro.

I don't think you'll have any problems but if you're worried you can split screen and keep an eye on both accounts. I multiclient a LOT and have never had an issues. 
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    Are you controlling more than 1 character at a time with a single command other than following? (Multiboxing) Are you ignoring 1 or more characters that are doing something while working another character?(Unattended macroing) If you're doing either of these things this theoretically should be cause for a ban/warning. But we've been asking for years for clarification of this and this question has been not responded to by those that can give us a real answer. Yet. I have hope. :)
       Well, the rules don't seem to be enforced for other things most of the time, so it's hard to tell if they know what their own rules mean.   I've said numerous times, and I hope it's eventually not going to be true, that these Forum rules, are more strict AND much better enforced, than the in-game rules these forums are made for... not sure how that happens, but here we are.

but generally, you can 'ignore' your other characters logged in, as long as they're not performing any actions on their own, you should be fine.    I've never had any issues, and depending on what I'm doing I use anywhere from 2 to 10 characters at a time.

There aren't many instances where I'm playing UO, aside from stocking my vendors that I'm not multiclienting.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited March 10
    Thanks everyone for their replies. I appreciate your time

CovenantX said:
    I've never had any issues, and depending on what I'm doing I use anywhere from 2 to 10 characters at a time.

I can manage 3 monitors at a time, I once saw a day trader use 6 monitors. Please tell me you have 10 monitors but only for running different instances of UO :D

From what I read here, I will bite the bullet and go ahead.  I was recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel. At worst, I will get banned and move to another game that does not hurt my carpal tunnel as much.

Thanks again.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    Rule enforcement is selective..
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    shootgun said:
    Thanks everyone for their replies. I appreciate your time

CovenantX said:
    I've never had any issues, and depending on what I'm doing I use anywhere from 2 to 10 characters at a time.

I can manage 3 monitors at a time, I once saw a day trader use 6 monitors. Please tell me you have 10 monitors but only for running different instances of UO :D

Thanks again.
      Haha, nah most of the time I only use 1 monitor, and tab through clients to attack or heal etc.
      it depends on what I'm doing though, but 2 monitors (1 on each PC) and use the lower-effort characters (tamers, or sampires) on 2nd PC, so all I gotta do is 'all kill' or use specials/attack respectively.

The only thing I ever really use 10 characters for is shadowguard if I'm doing runs by myself, and I use 2 PC's for that.

I've done 2 characters for T-maps, usually I use my t-hunter (also a tamer) and I have my sampire to kill the high-hp mobs faster...  no sense in taking 10 minutes to do a T-map when you can knock em out in ~3.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Grimbeard said:
    Oh look "A sugar troll"
    Grimbeard said:
    Oh look "A sugar troll"
    No I'm a very bitter troll but thanks for yet more helpful input 
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    Man, I barely pay attention to this game, but I do recall them making comments on this very topic numerous times. 

For a topic like this that comes up frequently... And it does.  I see it every time I return...  It should have an official statement on the wiki I would think.

I just checked and I can't find a general rules that even mentions you have to play attended.  The rules mostly seem to be word of mouth.  Maybe that's the root cause of the issue.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,306
    Shootgun I play this game mostly because I think it is much easier on my hands, nerves and joints than most other games.  I am too old to be a virtuoso on the keyboard anymore.  I can still play that way, but would do serious damage to myself if I did that.  I do all right just using the mouse and the keyboard, and if I have too just using the mouse.  Years ago I was almost to the carpal tunnel stage and had a lot of pain in my wrists from being on keyboards many hours each day typing at a high rate of speed, and for most of the rest of the day playing video games using various controllers.  I had to back off.  It was painful to do, but I had to slow down my typing and severely limit my time playing games.  But I had to choose between my job and the games.  Eventually, but slowly things improved.  My wrists now are pretty much back to normal but it took a long time.  Don’t have to worry about work anymore. Not making any recommendations just saying what my situation was and how I resolved it.   Know the condition is painful.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    This page says:

Multiboxing Update

Starting with the Endless Journey update, we have begun to action accounts for multiboxing. Players are restricted from logging and controlling multiple characters at the same time with the assistance of software or third-party programs. Controlling multiple characters at the same time to attack NPCs or other players, or perform any other actions in a synchronized manner is considered multiboxing and will result in the associated accounts being suspended or terminated. Players who have multiple users in the same household playing from multiple machines, or are manually controlling each of their accounts, are not considered to be multiboxing.
    and under Rules of Conduct:
    You may not leave an active character or pet in game while unattended. If your character is performing a skill, text or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you.

Thanks.  Didn't think to check the Support section.
    edited March 11
    Mariah said:
    This page says:

Multiboxing Update

Starting with the Endless Journey update, we have begun to action accounts for multiboxing. Players are restricted from logging and controlling multiple characters at the same time with the assistance of software or third-party programs. Controlling multiple characters at the same time to attack NPCs or other players, or perform any other actions in a synchronized manner is considered multiboxing and will result in the associated accounts being suspended or terminated. Players who have multiple users in the same household playing from multiple machines, or are manually controlling each of their accounts, are not considered to be multiboxing.
    and under Rules of Conduct:
    You may not leave an active character or pet in game while unattended. If your character is performing a skill, text or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you.

My intention is not to flame/troll etc, but as described in the other thread, a single player with multiple characters is placing houses after every single IDOC for 18x18 housing spots without any exception for more than a year on atlantic. He is either using exploits or he is multiboxing without any repercussions for years.

I will be multiboxing for tmaps in the coming event. If i am banned, so be it.
    You can close this thread if you want now.
    The problem goes away if everyone didn't consent to having Atlantic be the shard it is today.  Chesapeake is really active and has a ton of open space.
    Feigr said:
    The problem goes away if everyone didn't consent to having Atlantic be the shard it is today.  Chesapeake is really active and has a ton of open space.
    Shard shields...
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    I'm afraid my attitude is a little different. My thinking goes along the lines of 'two wrongs don't make a right' and 'I refuse to stoop to their level'. I don't cheat, I won't cheat. You do what you like, I'll stick to my personal 'rules of conduct'.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    edited March 11
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'm afraid my attitude is a little different. My thinking goes along the lines of 'two wrongs don't make a right' and 'I refuse to stoop to their level'. I don't cheat, I won't cheat. You do what you like, I'll stick to my personal 'rules of conduct'.

I understand. You do you. I'll do what floats my boat.
    There were many lines players had over the years in UO that have slowly gone away.  Things players wouldn't do.  Until they did.

If you asked me 20 years ago if I'd run a 2nd account just for a bard, I'd of laughed and said no.
    This works fine for pvm not so much for pvp
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    This as well ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    edited March 12
    There were 46 accounts actioned in Feb for multiboxing so it's something they will take action on if you are caught but that number could also include the 35 accounts that were macroing or they could be all EJ accounts. I think there are varying levels of multiboxing and at it's most basic level it's probably hard to tell the different between multiboxing vs multiclienting.

If you are using your crafter on one char while cleaning your house on another (or getting bods etc) then I highly doubt it matters whether you are multiboxing or not and honestly 99% of people probably wouldn't know or wouldn't care. Another thing would be using a bard as a support toon which I think many people do. It's probably easy to mistake someone using a single bard to help heal/cure while another account is tanking as multiboxing when the person is just switching screens (multiclienting).

Now, if you are running 10 gargoyles during a ToT event spamming chain AI and instantly killing almost everything on the screen which is probably calling attention lots of  to yourself...well you might have a problem because you now impacting game play of others around you and you will probably see a GM (if you are playing "on hours") or a jail cell.

Not advocating for multiboxing but just like using 3rd party programs (again not advocating), I think it's probably pretty hard to detect if you aren't overtly blatant about it. At the end of the day, I think as long as you aren't impacting other people's game play (assuming you also aren't trying to impact pricing market too) I don't think it really matters that much as long as you aren't giving people a reason to page on you.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    Multiboxing involves using a program to allow one keyboard/mouse to control multiple characters to do the same thing at the same time.
    if F5 is the hotkey to cast ebolt at current target, then all controlled characters will do that when the player hits that key.

If you're doing different things with the characters, you're not multiboxing, you're multi clienting.

At least that is my understanding of it based on what I have read on forums. I have no personal experience of the practice.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Mariah said:
    Multiboxing involves using a program to allow one keyboard/mouse to control multiple characters to do the same thing at the same time.
    if F5 is the hotkey to cast ebolt at current target, then all controlled characters will do that when the player hits that key.

If you're doing different things with the characters, you're not multiboxing, you're multi clienting.

That's not totally true. You could be multiclienting (legal) while having all the accounts cast the same spell at the same target, as long as you are toggling between the accounts to hit F5.

What multiboxing is essentially is automated game play (ie you aren't even touching the keyboard for said account) while using mutliple accounts so that you don't have to toggle between the accounts.

Example: 

Multiclienting (legal): A sampire is swinging his axe at some boss and pressing the AI macro while also toggling over to a bard account to heal/cure the sampire (using a macro to cast spell & last target). The key here is that the player is toggling between accounts to press the macros.

Multiboxing (illegal): A sampire is swinging his axe at some boss while chaining AI also has a bard account to heal/cure the sampire automatically; ie the user doesn't need to hit any sort of heal/cure macro on the bard because it's done automatically.

That's a very basic example of something that might look very similar but one is legal and the other is illegal. The example above is pretty hard to spot the difference if the person is good at toggling back and forth.

Typically that's not what people do when they multibox though... at least that would be obvious to report. It's the 5-10 accounts all stacked on each other that automatically attack the any hostile while spam chaining AI almost instantly killing anything on the screen before you can even press a macro to target hostile.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    edited March 12
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:

That's not totally true. You could be multiclienting (legal) while having all the accounts cast the same spell at the same target, as long as you are toggling between the accounts to hit F5.

What multiboxing is essentially is automated game play (ie you aren't even touching the keyboard for said account) while using mutliple accounts so that you don't have to toggle between the accounts.

Example: 

Multiclienting (legal): A sampire is swinging his axe at some boss and pressing the AI macro while also toggling over to a bard account to heal/cure the sampire (using a macro to cast spell & last target). The key here is that the player is toggling between accounts to press the macros.

Multiboxing (illegal): A sampire is swinging his axe at some boss while chaining AI also has a bard account to heal/cure the sampire automatically; ie the user doesn't need to hit any sort of heal/cure macro on the bard because it's done automatically.

That's a very basic example of something that might look very similar but one is legal and the other is illegal. The example above is pretty hard to spot the difference if the person is good at toggling back and forth.

Typically that's not what people do when they multibox though... at least that would be obvious to report. It's the 5-10 accounts all stacked on each other that automatically attack the any hostile while spam chaining AI almost instantly killing anything on the screen before you can even press a macro to target hostile.
    LMAO  There is no way they will cast the same spell all at the SAME time your toggling will cause a delay from one client to the other I do not care how fast you think you are.
    There isn't even a need to debate this.  There's a very clear software you'd download to do multi-boxing.  Or less commonly, very specific hardware. 

There's zero chance of mistaking this happening from a normal play style.  There's zero chance of accidentally doing it yourself.  You don't accidentally download key cloning software.

People with the software can run more than just one, two, or even five accounts and have them all cast on the same target at the exact same time. 

Ultima Online is not the only game that actions this activity or has this occurring.  This is not a unique thing to this community.  Stop being obtuse.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    edited March 12
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:

Example: 

LMAO  There is no way they will cast the same spell all at the SAME time your toggling will cause a delay from one client to the other I do not care how fast you think you are.
    Hmmm... I wonder, if these Third Party unauthorized utilities for the UO Client, might allow, for each of the UO clients open, to enter a delay of X seconds for each of the clients so that the player still only presses 1 key to send the same exact Macro to all of the clients without having to toggle from one client to another only, the actions will not be at the exact same time for all of the opened client but there will be delays for them all so as to simulate the toggling of the various UO opened clients while, instead, that toggling did not take place as the Macro took care of it all....

And, because of the delay, if there was monitoring or a Game Master showing up, the player could say that it was not multi-boxing because of the delays but multi-clienting when, instead, the toggling across the various opened clients did not take place thanking to the macro having delays for each and every of the opened UO clients...

Just wondering whether this might or not be a "feature" of certain unauthorized Third Party utilities since I have no knowledge of them and so can't know for certain... but, one would guess, technically this, perhaps, could be at least a theoretical possibility... or it could not ?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:

Example: 

Hmmm... I wonder, if these Third Party unauthorized utilities for the UO Client, might allow, for each of the UO clients open, to enter a delay of X seconds for each of the clients so that the player still only presses 1 key to send the same exact Macro to all of the clients without having to toggle from one client to another only, the actions will not be at the exact same time for all of the opened client but there will be delays for them all so as to simulate the toggling of the various UO opened clients while, instead, that toggling did not take place as the Macro took care of it all....

And, because of the delay, if there was monitoring or a Game Master showing up, the player could say that it was not multi-boxing because of the delays but multi-clienting when, instead, the toggling across the various opened clients did not take place thanking to the macro having delays for each and every of the opened UO clients...

Just wondering whether this might or not be a "feature" of certain unauthorized Third Party utilities since I have no knowledge of them and so can't know for certain... but, one would guess, technically this, perhaps, could be at least a theoretical possibility... or it could not ?
    Not one thing in your post is correct.  Please use Google to look up meaning of words before you make up stuff.

You do not know the difference between a game client and a game utility.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited March 12
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:

Example: 

You can do a delay.  It's not a Third Party Application for the UO Client.  A Key Cloning application has nothing to do with the UO client.  To the client it would just look like any other input coming from your operating system.  A lot of other games have this issue.  It's not traceable.  EDIT: Well, not directly traceable... I don't know what their data looks like, but I'd imagine there's some creative ways you could manually tell what's going on if you wanted to put in that level of effort one by one.

You can do a delay, but to do a delay and to move and to do it smoothly without looking like it is what it is would be quite a feat.

Also adding a delay and making all that happen would almost defeat the purpose.  It wouldn't make it inefficient, but it would definitely make it a lot less efficient.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    edited March 13
    Feigr said:
    popps said:
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:

Example: 

You can do a delay.  It's not a Third Party Application for the UO Client.  A Key Cloning application has nothing to do with the UO client.  To the client it would just look like any other input coming from your operating system.  A lot of other games have this issue.  It's not traceable.  EDIT: Well, not directly traceable... I don't know what their data looks like, but I'd imagine there's some creative ways you could manually tell what's going on if you wanted to put in that level of effort one by one.

You can do a delay, but to do a delay and to move and to do it smoothly without looking like it is what it is would be quite a feat.

Also adding a delay and making all that happen would almost defeat the purpose.  It wouldn't make it inefficient, but it would definitely make it a lot less efficient.
    Well, the delay would have the purpose to give"some" ground to say that it is multi-clienting (because claiming to be toggling through the various clients, hence the delays...) and not multi-boxing as it would look much like had the macro key controlled the various characters to act at the same one split moment...

It does not have to be a huge delay, 1 or 2 seconds could perhaps be enough, one could imagine, just to make room to say that there is toggling through the clients while, instead, there is not...

Sure, it would not be as efficient as having all characters act at once but one could imagine the lowered efficiency to have a purpose, of course, if a delay is technically possible with these Third Party utilities which, I do not know whether or not it is.

Bottom line is, to my opinion, that, if we want to get rid of all of these cheating methods, the one and only way, to my viewing, should be "self-shutting" the Ultima Online client when the use of unauthorized Third Party utilities is detected along with running UO, rather then trying to patch up this or that unwanted use of these unauthorized Third Party utilities with restrictions or changes to game play that in the end affect and hurt more regular players who do not use these Third Party utilities rather then those players who use them.

That is at least what my personal opinion about how this should be addressed is.
This discussion has been closed.