Crystal Ball of Knowledge

These are so useful for training skills.  I remember the Old Haven zone had a small little area to the south that's still there and new characters could complete this for a crystal ball.  Why hasn't that been fixed?

Getting one from the Ter Mur area is pretty deadly for a new character.  And they have to know it's there.  Those Toxic Sith move fast and have crazy poison.  Then the shadow creatures are pretty difficult to deal with when they have such high HP pools.  A couple of them have low HP pools, but they have crazy resistances.

I have mine, but it took a bit of effort.  I'd imagine a new player wouldn't want to put in that effort and this item is pretty useful. 

Fixing the area would probably be beneficial.  Or just make the crystal ball redundant and make the prompt happen even if you don't have a crystal ball.

They're selling for like 70,000 on Legends which is obscene for a new player.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    edited March 8
    Make friends, word will spread about a new traveler in the land and they will bestow helpful gifts and deco upon you.  Gen chat is monitored by the old schoolers, they appear when needed.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    I already have one.  I was just thinking forward.

And Legends is pretty quiet.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Call out in Gen Chat and you will be surprised at the gifts you will receive for being a new player.
    edited March 9
    It's not fun just to be handed stuff.  This was one of the first little areas you got something of actual value.  They'd also have to know to ask for it.  Before, with this quest, it was a reward they had to get. 
    Feigr said:
    It's not fun just to be handed stuff.  This was one of the first little areas you got something of actual value.  They'd also have to know to ask for it.  Before, with this quest, it was a reward they had to get. 
    UO has thousands of items.  We have spent 26 years getting what we have.  You can get a kick start or take your own 26 years to get it while new things are added.
    edited March 9
    It didn't take you 26 years to get a Crystal Ball of Knowledge.  I don't even know why you're arguing.  And you saying "I'm a veteran of so many years" is not some argument. 

You're blowing this topic way out of proportion to cause an argument. 

There was a new player starting area that rewarded an item that is very useful for new players.  The only other way to get said item is not friendly to new players.  It's not a big deal that needs you to swing around your "I paid for 26 years" nonsense.

You're already rewarded for your 26 years of payments.  That's enough.
    Feigr said:
    But they would know it because the people that came to help would explain things to them.  How long would it take to get an LRC suit/spell books/rune books, the list goes on and how would they even know about VS.
    The topic isn't about full game knowledge.  The topic is about a new player friendly item that was available and is no longer as available.

edited March 9
    Feigr said:
    The topic isn't about full game knowledge.  The topic is about a new player friendly item that was available and is no longer as available.

We do not need every old item.  Go to the internet,  type in the skill you want to increase and use a link to tell you what to do at the skill you are at.  No more guessing.

Example.  UO Magery

Link comes up: https://www.uoguide.com/Magery

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    Ignore the sugar trolls @Feigr
    edited March 9
    Pawain said:
    Feigr said:

We do not need every old item.  Go to the internet,  type in the skill you want to increase and use a link to tell you what to do at the skill you are at.  No more guessing.

Example.  UO Magery

It's mentioned in a few of the ones you aren't cherry picking and it's mentioned in the main article for skills.  The guide recommends having a Crystal Ball of Knowledge. 

In my case it was the Fishing one.

Again, the topic isn't about compensating for not fixing it.  It's about how it was available to new players and now isn't as available..

"A crystal ball of knowledge is really helpful in deciding where on the dock you need to be. Your catch at this level will consist of."

It's also mentioned a few times on UO.com's own wiki.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/fishing/
    Grimbeard said:
    Ignore the sugar trolls @ Feigr
    Can't resist their BS.

Another way to address this might be to put it in that New Player bundle sold on the shop.
    edited March 9
    Feigr said:
    Pawain said:
    Feigr said:

Example.  UO Magery

It's mentioned in a few of the ones you aren't cherry picking and it's mentioned in the main article for skills.  The guide recommends having a Crystal Ball of Knowledge. 

In my case it was the Fishing one.

Again, the topic isn't about compensating for not fixing it.  It's about how it was available to new players and now isn't as available..

"A crystal ball of knowledge is really helpful in deciding where on the dock you need to be. Your catch at this level will consist of."

It's also mentioned a few times on UO.com's own wiki.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/fishing/
    Grimbeard said:
    Ignore the sugar trolls @ Feigr
    Can't resist their BS.

Another way to address this might be to put it in that New Player bundle sold on the shop.
    It tells you on that page.  You fish from land or a dock until 75 skill.  Then you fish in deep water.

A crystal ball is not going to help you for this skill,  You just fish for a lot of hours until you reach 100 then you buy scrolls and fish some more.

The quest is still active and is no more difficult than it was when it was introduced.
    Can probably buy the ingredients if you don't want to kill stuff.

https://www.uoguide.com/A_Mystic's_Journey

You can do this quest over and over.

If someone wants to do the quest on LS, I can spare a few hundred.

• PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 527
    My guild hands out a Crystal Ball of Knowledge in the "New Player Package" that we give to new guildies that are new to the game.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    I have no memory of the crystal ball of knowledge existing before that Ter Mur quest, can someone provide me with details?
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    edited March 9
    Mariah said:
    I have no memory of the crystal ball of knowledge existing before that Ter Mur quest, can someone provide me with details?
    It was a reward for the new player quest when Haven was destroyed and New Haven was created. You could get a male or female statue that worked exactly like the Crystal Ball does now. Don't remember the name right now but I know I have a couple on a shard somewhere. you got them for that last Boss that no one could get to after a while because Player corpses never decayed and the recall spots (only way to reach him) got blocked (This is me remembering all this BTW, I may be recalling it incorrectly as I am only on my First Cup O' Joe)

**Edit** https://www.uoguide.com/Skill_Tutor_Statuette
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

ahh!  I remember that now, thanks @Victim_Of_Siege
    Mariah said:
    ahh!  I remember that now, thanks @ Victim_Of_Siege
    You are very welcome.

I wanted to see what it would take for a new character to complete this so I took a newly made swordsman and went to get the quest. I then searched with the googlebox what dropped the two items and noticed that Chicken Lizards dropped the Dragon Blood (4) so i was able to kill enough to get those in about 20 minutes. So then we are left with Daemon Bones . . . Yeah, void creatures or Doom (if Korpre dropped Daemon Bones, Maybe). So I will agree that there needs to be a quest for these added to New Haven for new players to receive. I am not advocating it be extremely easy, just that it is not extremely hard. Also make it an obvious quest given out by Sir helper since he Says "Double Click on me for help"  I know that people give these out to new players, but some people prefer to do things on their own, so @Kyronix or any of the Devs, can we get this added to New Haven please? 

I hadn't realised chicken lizards gave blood, I'll edit the quest page to say that. I'll also add a little about Doom creatures, Gibberlings are a pretty easy kill for daemon bones
    edited March 9
    Mariah said:
    I hadn't realised chicken lizards gave blood, I'll edit the quest page to say that. I'll also add a little about Doom creatures, Gibberlings are a pretty easy kill for daemon bones
    if you can get to them without dying and draw them away one at a time :wink:

edited March 9

I also didn't realize the chicken lizards gave them out.  I got mine via the Toxic Sith, but man they are deadly.

And if I remember correctly it wasn't just the skill tutor statuette.  There was a window of time when if you were using the Enhanced Client only you could start in the OId Haven section and there was a brief tutorial that told you things like picking up a Katana off the table and fighting.  It culminated in fighting the Dark Knight and 100% gave you a crystal ball of knowledge.

It was EC only so I guess many people forgot it? And I return a lot so I make a lot of new characters.  I could be mistaken.  Maybe I'm misremembering.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    The Doom Dark Guardians each carry 30 demon bones.
    edited March 10
    I wanted to see what it would take for a new character to complete this so I took a newly made swordsman and went to get the quest. I then searched with the googlebox what dropped the two items and noticed that Chicken Lizards dropped the Dragon Blood (4) so i was able to kill enough to get those in about 20 minutes. So then we are left with Daemon Bones . . . Yeah, void creatures or Doom (if Korpre dropped Daemon Bones, Maybe). So I will agree that there needs to be a quest for these added to New Haven for new players to receive. I am not advocating it be extremely easy, just that it is not extremely hard. Also make it an obvious quest given out by Sir helper since he Says "Double Click on me for help"  I know that people give these out to new players, but some people prefer to do things on their own, so @ Kyronix or any of the Devs, can we get this added to New Haven please? 
    I decided to come at this from a different angle and use a character that had just "graduated" from Haven. They'll have better gear by then and higher skills. I went back to Doom and stayed around the room where you drop in and killed the bats and skeletons there and had the bones i needed in 5 minutes. then i went back to Termur and collected the Dragon's Blood again, shaving it down to about 12 minutes. so in roughly 20 minutes I had what i needed for the quest and then acquired the ball. The only problem i see with the quest is where it is given, Move it to haven and it's doable, or at least have Sir Helpeer or one of the quest givers in Haven say something along the lines of "I've heard tell that in the land of the Gargoyles, one of them winged fellahs is giving a quest for an Object to help you further your training" 

edited March 10
    I wanted to see what it would take for a new character to complete this so I took a newly made swordsman and went to get the quest. I then searched with the googlebox what dropped the two items and noticed that Chicken Lizards dropped the Dragon Blood (4) so i was able to kill enough to get those in about 20 minutes. So then we are left with Daemon Bones . . . Yeah, void creatures or Doom (if Korpre dropped Daemon Bones, Maybe). So I will agree that there needs to be a quest for these added to New Haven for new players to receive. I am not advocating it be extremely easy, just that it is not extremely hard. Also make it an obvious quest given out by Sir helper since he Says "Double Click on me for help"  I know that people give these out to new players, but some people prefer to do things on their own, so @ Kyronix or any of the Devs, can we get this added to New Haven please? 
    I decided to come at this from a different angle and use a character that had just "graduated" from Haven. They'll have better gear by then and higher skills. I went back to Doom and stayed around the room where you drop in and killed the bats and skeletons there and had the bones i needed in 5 minutes. then i went back to Termur and collected the Dragon's Blood again, shaving it down to about 12 minutes. so in roughly 20 minutes I had what i needed for the quest and then acquired the ball. The only problem i see with the quest is where it is given, Move it to haven and it's doable, or at least have Sir Helpeer or one of the quest givers in Haven say something along the lines of "I've heard tell that in the land of the Gargoyles, one of them winged fellahs is giving a quest for an Object to help you further your training" 

Should make the NPC by Percolem  and Ortlem.  Then you could combine some of the kills if you did it in Ter Mur.
    Pawain said:

Should make the NPC by Percolem  and Ortlem.  Then you could combine some of the kills if you did it in Ter Mur.
    That would be a good idea. .

Thank you for putting in so much effort.  I truly appreciate it and didn't want to just not reply.
    And what did we do before these things even existed, oh that is right we talked to other players and went out and just played the game.
    Look, I understand where it is.  I understand how to get it.  I got it.  I just didn't want someone GIVING IT TO ME!  I also thought it would be more appropriate if it is more available to new players or new characters on new shards because it is pretty useful.

The only thing wrong here is that I didn't try Doom.  And I'd argue expecting a new player to go to Doom for it is still above and beyond. 

However, I do appreciate that Victim did it.
    Feigr said:
    Look, I understand where it is.  I understand how to get it.  I got it.  I just didn't want someone GIVING IT TO ME!  I also thought it would be more appropriate if it is more available to new players or new characters on new shards because it is pretty useful.

The only thing wrong here is that I didn't try Doom.  And I'd argue expecting a new player to go to Doom for it is still above and beyond. 

However, I do appreciate that Victim did it.
    So you don't want it free but you want it easy.  :D

That's what the devs have to design in every part of the game. Some one will think its too easy someone will think its too hard.
    edited March 10
    Actually, you're saying it like it's a bad thing, but yea.  I do want the Crystal Ball of Knowledge to be easier to get.  I thought I was very succinct in my opening post on that matter.

I think it was too hard to get if you were using the method I used farming toxic sith and the void creatures.

I was unaware that Chicken Lizards dropped Dragon Blood and I also still think that Doom is unrealistic as well, but I do appreciate Victim taking the effort and at least having a constructive argument against my feeling.

You and Frodo, however, are just trying to argue.

The real question is why you want such a basic item to be difficult.  Also, why do you want to have to give it out to people? What is the purpose of that? Should people THANK YOU for giving them something you're advocating should stay hard to get otherwise?