Getting back into ships for upcoming event.

Have things changed? I'm reading this article.
https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/cannons/

Are there differences in the cannons? I forget.  The article doesn't mention it.  I don't think there were differences.

Is 100 of Fuse Cords, Charges, and Cannonballs enough to get started hunting Merchant ships and some orcs? I'd like to get an Orc Ship eventually.

IIRC the Tokuno Ship moves faster, but the Gargoyle ship is more durable? To start with.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    edited March 6
    All cannon types do the same damage on a given ship.

Cannons on an Orc do more damage. 

Only need 20 supplies to begin. Each Orc pirate or merchant ship has 12 to 24 of each cannon supply.  You build your supplies by just doing those.

Have fun Matey.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MitMit Posts: 38
    If lookin to stock up on ammo then hit any and all merchant and pirate/orc ships.. Both have ammo.. Once you stockpile enough ammo go for the beacons for better cargo
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    Feigr said:
    Have things changed? I'm reading this article.
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/cannons/

Are there differences in the cannons? I forget.  The article doesn't mention it.  I don't think there were differences.

Is 100 of Fuse Cords, Charges, and Cannonballs enough to get started hunting Merchant ships and some orcs? I'd like to get an Orc Ship eventually.

IIRC the Tokuno Ship moves faster, but the Gargoyle ship is more durable? To start with.

Orc ships are dirt cheap to buy
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    All ships now travel at the same speed - except row boats.
    the page you linked was updated to take into account the changes made in this publish:

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    For anyone who is unaware, or has forgotten, this is one aspect of ship fighting that I find particular fun:

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    For anyone who is unaware, or has forgotten, this is one aspect of ship fighting that I find particular fun:

Yea, a video really doesn't convey it, but it is super fun to scuttle a ship.  When I was playing before there was a video tutorial on how to stand in the middle of your ship and fire all cannons for one side and then flip your ship to fire all cannons on the other side immediately.  You could scuttle ships super fast.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Pawain said:

Only need 20 supplies to begin. Each Orc pirate or merchant ship has 12 to 24 of each cannon supply.  You build your supplies by just doing those.

Have fun Matey.

This is a part of the game i've never tried. It looks fun but a lot of work.

Could a crafter make some coin making the supplies for the event or have you all stocked up over the years?
    Urge said:
    Pawain said:

Have fun Matey.

This is a part of the game i've never tried. It looks fun but a lot of work.

Could a crafter make some coin making the supplies for the event or have you all stocked up over the years?
    Players with the painting have hundreds of powder charges.  Fuses and cannonballs are in Orc and Merchant ship holds also cannons.  If you do a bunch of those you will have a surplus.  I have not crafted in years and I look for beacons and only scuttle ships to make beacons spawn.

Sure you can put supplies and cannons on a vendor.
    Also put ramrods.  There will be a need soon. 

Always take cannon Supplies from holds.  Grab the iron ingots so you can repair cannons.  Watch the cannon condition.  They will explode and cannon and supplies inside go poof.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Pawain said:
    Players with the painting have hundreds of powder charges.  Fuses and cannonballs are in Orc and Merchant ship holds also cannons.  If you do a bunch of those you will have a surplus.  I have not crafted in years and I look for beacons and only scuttle ships to make beacons spawn.

Sure you can put supplies and cannons on a vendor.
    Also put ramrods.  There will be a need soon. 

Always take cannon Supplies from holds.  Grab the iron ingots so you can repair cannons.  Watch the cannon condition.  They will explode and cannon and supplies inside go poof.

Yeah i think i'll pass on the boat warfare. I just might do a vendor though. Thanks for the info.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    It's really fun IMO.  You gotta watch that Rich guy's video on it.  He shows you how to stand and how to fire all your cannons pretty quickly.  It's very easy resources.

And the loot/reward ratio for doing beacons is a grind, but it's not too bad.
    edited March 8
    Feigr said:
    It's really fun IMO.  You gotta watch that Rich guy's video on it.  He shows you how to stand and how to fire all your cannons pretty quickly.  It's very easy resources.

And the loot/reward ratio for doing beacons is a grind, but it's not too bad.
    We did this event in 2019.  It will be modified to fit the Spring event.

Everyone should bookmark:
    https://www.uo-cah.com/pub-104/rising-tide-guide

Only Beacons give mythic cargo.  Beacon gives 1 Mythic crate per toon that does damage. Plus
    the cargo from the orcs and sea creatures.

1 Mythic cargo is worth 10 of the next lower crate.  So, doing ships is not the way to gain doubloons.  Would take you a month to get a parrot if you are not getting Mythic Cargo.

There are 2 parts to the event,

Black Market Update - new items for purchase in the black market!

and 

Spring Event: Shrouded Sails!  Take part in a hunt for the most prized possession of some of Britannia's most notorious pirates- their hats!  Battle pirates and plunderbeacons, ransack ship cargo, dig up treasure chests, fish up treasures from the deep, and try your mettle against a pirate brawl as you collect pirate hats to turn in for treasures!

Doubloons are for the Black Market Update.

We do not know how ship warfare and beacons will apply to Shrouded Sails.

So, we are stocking up on Cargo,T maps, SoS, etc

And there will be some silly Pirate Brawl full of debauchery and drunkenness.

Now is a great time to set up and practice.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Pawain said:

Now is a great time to set up and practice.

This is good advice for anyone thinking they want to participate in any sailing parts of the event. It certainly took me a few hours to find where I stashed all my ship/cannon stuff and get it all setup.

You are able to dry dock your ship with all the cannons placed (and loaded) so even if you aren't going to play right away it's worthwhile getting it to this point.