UO Legacy

So, UO Legacy...

Reading your intentions I think Broadsword are missing an massive opportunity.

Many of the most devoted and hardcore players from a legacy perspective were P15 (ish) era and yet you want organised PvP to be based on the VvV system, which in my opinion, and compared to factions just sucks.

VvV era was all about gear and resists etc. It was the era of the OP archers, dryad bow and magery taking a back seat. The best PvP'rs back then were rarely melee/ranged, it was mages, and rightly so.

Later on casters did even out again and there were a lot more options for people with special pvp pets, but, trust me, a lot of people WILL NOT come back to something they hated.

I am on a popular Facebook EU group where we talk about old UO and organise to play other games and most will not want to be in a game after the factions era. The lumberjack 10% dps patch is about as far as they will go.

I realise the coding you had from EA/Mythic etc is possibly a limitation for you, but if freeshard dudes can do it, so can a private professional outfit. If you could somehow still reward old accounts that return that would also be a great incentive. I don't mean vet rewards but perhaps something to show their legacy since 1997...I dunno, public medals on their paperdolls or something.

For me, I played UO from Jan 98 on ATL pre EU. I met some of my bestest friends IRL there. We still talk about those olden days. If you can even get close to that, you are onto a winner.

Comments

• BarneyBarney Posts: 23
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    Always best to judge something before it is in existence. 

That new  coke plus coming out in 2042 is gonna taste horrible.  Mostly because they did not listen to me.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 243
    I don't even think you know what you are talking about, how can anyone else understand what you are saying?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    Barney was one of the cleverest opponents I ever met.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    Cookie said:

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    I assume the OP is referring to New Legacy, in hopes that it would be a true "Classic Shard".

That's what I was hoping for when NL was announced, but It doesn't seem like its going to be.  (only time will tell, but based on the info we read, it's not)

clearly the screenshot you posted is pretty old, not only because there are more players, but there aren't groups of 10 stacked on the same tile, as we normally see today in crowds like that anymore.

You had a vastly larger player-base, with a vastly smaller percentage of players cheating at the same time    -This is not likely to ever turn around... I hope I'm wrong and I'd like to be wrong on this one.

The old faction days, (before 'faction artifacts') was fun, but much of the 'fun' didn't come from factions, but the sheer amount of people participating in it, as well as pvp as a whole.

VvV has lots of issues, just two specific to VvV off the top of my head, that,at this point come down to neglect.

1) Guard-whacks in active vvv towns, brought up numerous times by many players,  -never been fixed.

2) VvV points most efficiently awarded to players when they're NOT pvping. -never been fixed

---
     3) Not specifically related to VvV.... Cheating, free shards seemingly do a much better job at limiting / preventing it than official UO does.  which is even more upsetting, considering you need some of the very same 'third-party programs' to even login to those shards.... go figure.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    -----

Also, there was literally never a time, when Mages weren't more powerful than dexers.  -except in those instances where a person completely inexperienced with playing a Mage, started to try it.

Btw, it's never been easier to play a mage than it is now,  Magery+Parry is, basically playing a mage with training wheels, except even the 'pros' are doing it.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    1. That image shows people bank sitting at WBB - that's years before VvV replaced factions and dates back to the time everyone was complaining 'factions is broken' a refrain that lasted for many years before VvV.
    2. It would be wise to wait and see what NL is actually like before you dismiss it, Isn't there a proverb about not crossing your bridges till you come to them?
    I would appreciate a little less negativity on these forums, I'm sure the devs would too.

• shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited March 8
    Mariah said:
    1. That image shows people bank sitting at WBB - that's years before VvV replaced factions and dates back to the time everyone was complaining 'factions is broken' a refrain that lasted for many years before VvV.
    2. It would be wise to wait and see what NL is actually like before you dismiss it, Isn't there a proverb about not crossing your bridges till you come to them?
    I would appreciate a little less negativity on these forums, I'm sure the devs would too.

I have been back from a very long hiatus. So I can still find lots of things to do. On the other hand, some of my guild mates are complaining about lack of new content and lack of fixes for bugs that has been around for many years. They complain that the game is neglected.

I agree that we should keep positive tone. That being said, I think this kind of negativity will be around for another few months until new legacy is released. Let's hope that they managed to get the upcoming event right, so it will keep the players entertained for a couple months.

I don't think the devs/management should have taken the path of NL. They could have kept adding new content or improve current content to the current servers every 2 years and everyone would be happy. I believe NL was the wrong direction for UO.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 292
    edited March 8

We should remember how UO was before, but that is history, will never be forgotten.
    Barney wobba should play the Prod shards, and embrace the game as now. We have some new players from freeshard playing Europa shard and theres pvp, barney should get his friends online, and see if he still has teh skill to steal sigils in VvV. 

We never know if it all of a sudden comes a shard online from the official produces, that has the UO 1998 version. That being said there were no factions in 1998, i think it came around 2002 or smth. Some liked Order versus Chaos, some liked Factions, some liked AoS with items.
    Heres a few screens from the faction days mentioned above, around 2002 from Europa shard.

ShadowLords ready to raid for sigils

Around the same time Coucil Of Mages had a few players too,

Looks familiar during a raid? yes probably

The most important is not the ruleset of the game, but the community of people playing it. No eras of UO is a success if theres no players. We should embrace what we have, and make the best of it.

Europa shard welcomes everyone.

• sibblesibble Posts: 113
    psycho said:

The most important is not the ruleset of the game, but the community of people playing it. No eras of UO is a success if theres no players. We should embrace what we have, and make the best of it.

100%

The focus point should be getting people interested in PVP which is also a snowball effect (large fights attract more people)

This is why I suggested a shard where people can transfer to and PVP together for rewards in another thread - like a battlegrounds-type of shard.  Bringing people together that are spread over all the divided shards should be a discussion point as we know it's already possible.

1.  PVP alone is usually enough to attract some people
    2.  Attract even more with lucrative rewards
    3.  More people getting attracted to PVP will snowball and attract even more
    4.  Divided shards get a shared place to PVP, bringing more people together
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    edited March 8
    That assumes everybody likes PvP.
    The overwhelming majority of people I've know over the years on UO PvP rarely or go to great lengths to avoid it.

Look at the length they have to get the average player to even go to Fel (Luck bonus, double resources, Power scrolls, etc.)
    Tim said:
    The overwhelming majority of people I've know over the years on UO PvP rarely or go to great lengths to avoid it.

Look at the length they have to get the average player to even go to Fel (Luck bonus, double resources, Power scrolls, etc.)

Look at how much Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and other top CEO's earn.

To attract the best, you need to pay, and offer incentives. :)
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 294
    Mariah said:
    Arguably the points system they implemented was broken. Factions overall was not.  Their exponential points system was exploited into the millions.  It snowballed when they kept trying to fix it.

Pretty much they could have just added the gear and flagging system and it would have been fine.

edited March 8
    Oreogl said:
    Mariah said:
    Arguably the points system they implemented was broken. Factions overall was not.  Their exponential points system was exploited into the millions.  It snowballed when they kept trying to fix it.

Pretty much they could have just added the gear and flagging system and it would have been fine.

For me, the core player-base grew up and moved on in our lives, no longer were we in our 20's with disposable time, we got kids, and could no longer put in 24 hour shifts to defend our towns. :)

It meant less players, which meant that system could not work as well.

I think the point of VvV, is it is a shorter, more manageable timeframe for your average player of today. Antique rewards though... Going back to the fact I am elitist, and the best, I do not appreciate antique rewards...

I am a queen darling, and expect to be treated as such. :)

Tim said:

This is every system ever in a game.
    You implement incentives to keep it going and generate interest.  

Most PVPers were not looking to slaughter some poor schmuck mining in fel.

Compare that to the incentives non-fel facets got.  This doesn’t mean it is a failed system.
    Cookie said:
    Oreogl said:
    Mariah said:

For me, the core player-base grew up and moved on in our lives, no longer were we in our 20's with disposable time, we got kids, and could no longer put in 24 hour shifts to defend our towns. :)

I think the point of VvV, is it is a shorter, more manageable timeframe for your average player of today. Antique rewards though... Going back to the fact I am elitist, and the best, I do not appreciate antique rewards...

lol I remember the 24, luckily they shifted down to 12 and even lower after that if I recall.

but you’re not entirely wrong, but does anyone really play VVV based on the premise.  It just doesn’t hit the same as raiding or defending a base.

The gear now is probably marginal at best.  I think to get started with a new characters it helps but I know most frowned that it could be used by anyone without stepping foot in Fel.  Prior armor was tied to rank at least.
    ahh - I missed the end of factions, I quit for a few years, when AOS was launched, so I actually missed its tragic ending, a bit like Barney did.
    edited March 8
    Oreogl said:
    Cookie said:
    Oreogl said:
    Mariah said:

lol I remember the 24, luckily they shifted down to 12 and even lower after that if I recall.

but you’re not entirely wrong, but does anyone really play VVV based on the premise.  It just doesn’t hit the same as raiding or defending a base.

The gear now is probably marginal at best.  I think to get started with a new characters it helps but I know most frowned that it could be used by anyone without stepping foot in Fel.  Prior armor was tied to rank at least.
    On Europa, we have started VvV as an event on Sundays at 20:00gmt, we are pulling in up to 30 players for 2 hours, it's very good fun actually. The 4 main pvp guilds are joining in. EM Sarah will give the winning guild a statue for a month. :)

edited March 9
    I edited it out - just in case :)

There is one of our videos, from last week. Classic. :)

Ultima Online Sunday PVP Event 02 03 2024 (youtube.com)

There is another video in Enhanced Client, from the winning guilds perspective.

I am Wraith {I'm not the Wraith who died, I did not die in 2 hours pvp, we ultimately all name ourselves Wraith :)  }, my 12 y/o son is Hades, my 15 y/o son is Asterial, Hades took a battering in that fight lol, the first week, which we also have a video for, we did better. It is me speaking in the middle on the 1st video. :)

Barney, come back to us. :)
    edited March 9
    Cookie said:

I am Wraith {I'm not the Wraith who died, I did not die in 2 hours pvp, we ultimately all name ourselves Wraith :)  }, my 12 y/o son is Hades, my 15 y/o son is Asterial, Hades took a battering in that fight lol, the first week, which we also have a video for, we did better. It is me speaking in the middle on the 1st video. :)

This is awesome, maybe if I have time I’ll swing by Europa.  I have some vet choices left for another shard shield anyways.
    Oreogl said:
    Cookie said:
    ​​​Doom TV -W- 2024 - EU - VvV Revival - Round 2 on Vimeo

This is awesome, maybe if I have time I’ll swing by Europa.  I have some vet choices left for another shard shield anyways.
    You are very welcome as well :)
    edited March 9
    Also edited out. :)

Here is a funny kill, Doom, and I, in comms :)
    edited March 9
    Cookie said:

Guy just go afk to make a sandwich?  Hard to believe people still lose connection.
    Oreogl said:
    Cookie said:

Guy just go afk to make a sandwich?  Hard to believe people still lose connection.
    We think he was peeing in a bottle, number 1 reason for silly deaths lol. :)
    I read most stuff, some accurate, some...totally not. But, yea OK me concede...players play what they are given the opportunity to play and back then, UO Factions (started 1999 I think) was a big move to create mass world pvp...I say that EA/Mythic changed the system because their coding was too buggy and open to abuse so they wiped the slate clean and started again with new code. I am 99.9% sure of this because I played fractions all the time and I knew a ton of bugs and ways to mess with the game and how my enemies used them against us, some I worked out myself and never revealed except to devs as they were so game breaking. And yes, I think I can proves it still after...23 years lol.

Comparing emulated shards on a different system is pointless. The freeshards use a more dynamic coding and they can fix bugs a lot easier without messing with other stuff that people pay for.

Whether players preferred VvV to Fractions...yes it could be a case of fond memories of that time, but let's face it: If you want to sell a product to the misty-eyed players who are now free of kids as they are all at Uni and with a decent enough income to subscribe without a care...now is the right moment. It is the same as guys buying the cars they wanted in their youth, but could never afford.

A good friend of mine has a daughter, she is about 10. She has started playing UO. Her dad is a mental UO pvp'r (and I mean, mental). She is showing all the signs of wanting to play and PvP (shit talking included).

I realise Broadsword cannot invest enough into this because of the mountain of coding and other issues to bring the game into the 2020's but...at least consider more kudos to returnee accounts from the olden era and making sure the olden faction accounts are credited somehow, with titles or special clothes/mounts at the very least?
    Cookie said:

An Cookies...fanks!!! :D Nevor forget teh time me tricked COM into letting me get the sigil at like 4 am :D

Cookie said:
    Oreogl said:
    Cookie said:

We think he was peeing in a bottle, number 1 reason for silly deaths lol. :)
    An AF!!!
    Cookie said:
    HEHE ME AM A CLEVOREST!
    psycho said:

We should remember how UO was before, but that is history, will never be forgotten.
    Barney wobba should play the Prod shards, and embrace the game as now. We have some new players from freeshard playing Europa shard and theres pvp, barney should get his friends online, and see if he still has teh skill to steal sigils in VvV. 

We never know if it all of a sudden comes a shard online from the official produces, that has the UO 1998 version. That being said there were no factions in 1998, i think it came around 2002 or smth. Some liked Order versus Chaos, some liked Factions, some liked AoS with items.
    Heres a few screens from the faction days mentioned above, around 2002 from Europa shard.

ShadowLords ready to raid for sigils

Around the same time Coucil Of Mages had a few players too,

Looks familiar during a raid? yes probably

Europa shard welcomes everyone.

YAY!