At what point do you repair an item?

shootgunshootgun Posts: 204
edited November 2023 in General Discussions
Did anyone try and see which point is the best to not lose a durability point in a ring/amulet/etc?

Is it 150/255, 100/255, 50/255? 25/255?

Thanks.

Comments

  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,797
    I use EC so it shows red when it's time
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 204
    edited November 2023
    Is that the best point to repair it?

    What i am trying to figure out is following:
    - Wiki says that if you have high enough skill (blacksmith, tailor, etc) and if the item you are repairing is not damaged too much then there is a chance it will not take down the maximum durability when you successfully repair.
    - On the other hand, I had this happen to me once in every 10 tries even though I have 120 tailoring skill. So the item I am repairing will lose one point from its maximum durability almost every time I repair it.
    - So back in the day, I decided that waiting until the item hit 1/255 durability was the best thing to do before repairing.
    - If I am not mistaken, The other thread from couple weeks ago about repairing items is saying that this is wrong. On the other hand there are no suggestions about at which point should I repair my armor.

    That is what I am trying to figure out.


  • poppspopps Posts: 3,875
    edited November 2023
    shootgun said:
    Is that the best point to repair it?

    What i am trying to figure out is following:
    - Wiki says that if you have high enough skill (blacksmith, tailor, etc) and if the item you are repairing is not damaged too much then there is a chance it will not take down the maximum durability when you successfully repair.
    - On the other hand, I had this happen to me once in every 10 tries even though I have 120 tailoring skill. So the item I am repairing will lose one point from its maximum durability almost every time I repair it.
    - So back in the day, I decided that waiting until the item hit 1/255 durability was the best thing to do before repairing.
    - If I am not mistaken, The other thread from couple weeks ago about repairing items is saying that this is wrong. On the other hand there are no suggestions about at which point should I repair my armor.

    That is what I am trying to figure out.


    - Wiki says that if you have high enough skill (blacksmith, tailor, etc) and if the item you are repairing is not damaged too much then there is a chance it will not take down the maximum durability when you successfully repair.

    Hang on... is that really so ?

    I mean the part where it says "then there is a chance it will not take down the maximum durability when you successfully repair "

    I thought that, no matter what, fails took away one maximum durability point and also succesful repairs too away one maximum durability point...

    Is there really a repair condition under which one repairs the item and the maximum durability stays the same, without lowering it down 1 point ?

    If so, I would love to know what this is, because on my Warrior my items keep having their maximum durability going down and down and down some more...

    I have some imbued jewellery (imbued items cannot have Powder of Fortification applied to them) now sitting below 190 which it means that it won't be long before I will have to get my ring and bracelet done again....

    @Mariah , is that so ?

    There is some status of an item which one can get it repaired and not suffer 1 point of loss of durability when succesfully repairing it ?

    If so, what is that condition to avoid the loss of durability when succesfully repairing an item ?

    Thank you.

    - So back in the day, I decided that waiting until the item hit 1/255 durability was the best thing to do before repairing.

    I usually do it around 15/whatever maximum durability because I noticed that if I wait more, I tend to fail a lot more, once, I failed 5 times in a row and I was at like 12/whatever maximum durability and that took away, thanking to the RNG, 5 points of the maximum durability on that item...

    I would repair even earlier, but because of the 1 point of maximum durability being taken away even at succesful repairs, I decided to wait until 15/whatever maximum durability so as to reduce the number of repairs as much as possible over time to then not loose as many maximum durability whether from fails or succesful repairs...

    Regardless, several of my items are getting their maximum durability quite low to the point that they won't be much usable anymore, since I would need to repair them every hour or 2 of gameplay.....
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,898Moderator
    popps said:


    I mean the part where it says "then there is a chance it will not take down the maximum durability when you successfully repair "



    @ Mariah , is that so ?

    Yes. it's a chance. I've had it happen, but not often. Best chance is on smith items if you repair while holding a +60 ASH.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 854
    edited November 2023
    oh no, now we are going to have a mass debate about ash hammers and why the +60 is so hard to get.

    Expect a long drawn out novel about why its unfair that doing a 10 axe Bod did not yield a 60 hammer
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 290
    edited November 2023
    I use a durability repair calculator that tells you all the % of sucess chance at repair , and also sucess chance at not loosing 1 durability vs loosing 1.

    I can tell you some threshold points for exemple (keep in mind these exemples are at 255 max durability, when an item has lower than 255, the % are different because the ratio min/max has changed)

    1. A ring at 247/255 exemple , with gm tinker youd have 100% chance to success repairing, with 38% chance to loose 1 durability down to 254/254, and 62% chance to not loose durability back to 255/255 
    2.  200/255, with gm tinker youd have 85% chance to loose one durability down to 254/254, and 15% chance to not loose 255/255
    3. and at the bottom of the chart if you try to repair a jewel at 0/255 , you have 50% chance to success repair, 50% to fail repair and loosing 1 dura, and finally a 100% chance to loose 1 dura when succeeding
    4. If a ring is at 186/255 , you have 100% chance to sucess repair but 99% chance to loose 1 durability, so under that you are guaranteed to loose 1 durability every repair.
    5. Finally if a ring reach 50/255, you have 99% chance to repair so you start failing to repair which cost 1 durabilty every time, so I suggest repairing a ring at 51/255 and above.

    Blacksmith items are easier to repair via the +60 smith ash hammer for exemple :

    1. A sword at 247/255 exemple , with 180 smith youd have 100% chance to success repairing, with 30% chance to loose 1 durability down to 254/254, and 70% chance to not loose durability back to 255/255 

  • oh no, now we are going to have a mass debate about ash hammers and why the +60 is so hard to get.

    Expect a long drawn out novel about why its unfair that doing a 10 axe Bod did not yield a 60 hammer
    If you bank the points of that 10 axe bod, you can get that +60 hammer. eventually . . .

    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

    Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 204
    I use a durability repair calculator that tells you all the % of sucess chance at repair , and also sucess chance at not loosing 1 durability vs loosing 1.

    I can tell you some threshold points for exemple (keep in mind these exemples are at 255 max durability, when an item has lower than 255, the % are different because the ratio min/max has changed)

    1. A ring at 247/255 exemple , with gm tinker youd have 100% chance to success repairing, with 38% chance to loose 1 durability down to 254/254, and 62% chance to not loose durability back to 255/255 
    2.  200/255, with gm tinker youd have 85% chance to loose one durability down to 254/254, and 15% chance to not loose 255/255
    3. and at the bottom of the chart if you try to repair a jewel at 0/255 , you have 50% chance to success repair, 50% to fail repair and loosing 1 dura, and finally a 100% chance to loose 1 dura when succeeding
    4. If a ring is at 186/255 , you have 100% chance to sucess repair but 99% chance to loose 1 durability, so under that you are guaranteed to loose 1 durability every repair.
    5. Finally if a ring reach 50/255, you have 99% chance to repair so you start failing to repair which cost 1 durabilty every time, so I suggest repairing a ring at 51/255 and above.

    Blacksmith items are easier to repair via the +60 smith ash hammer for exemple :

    1. A sword at 247/255 exemple , with 180 smith youd have 100% chance to success repairing, with 30% chance to loose 1 durability down to 254/254, and 70% chance to not loose durability back to 255/255 


    Thank you so much for this information. If possible, can you please share that repair calculator? It does not show up at Google for some reason.

    With chances you gave, it seems like waiting until the item hits 5/255 durability is the best decision to prolong the items life.

  • shootgun said:
    I use a durability repair calculator that tells you all the % of sucess chance at repair , and also sucess chance at not loosing 1 durability vs loosing 1.

    I can tell you some threshold points for exemple (keep in mind these exemples are at 255 max durability, when an item has lower than 255, the % are different because the ratio min/max has changed)

    1. A ring at 247/255 exemple , with gm tinker youd have 100% chance to success repairing, with 38% chance to loose 1 durability down to 254/254, and 62% chance to not loose durability back to 255/255 
    2.  200/255, with gm tinker youd have 85% chance to loose one durability down to 254/254, and 15% chance to not loose 255/255
    3. and at the bottom of the chart if you try to repair a jewel at 0/255 , you have 50% chance to success repair, 50% to fail repair and loosing 1 dura, and finally a 100% chance to loose 1 dura when succeeding
    4. If a ring is at 186/255 , you have 100% chance to sucess repair but 99% chance to loose 1 durability, so under that you are guaranteed to loose 1 durability every repair.
    5. Finally if a ring reach 50/255, you have 99% chance to repair so you start failing to repair which cost 1 durabilty every time, so I suggest repairing a ring at 51/255 and above.

    Blacksmith items are easier to repair via the +60 smith ash hammer for exemple :

    1. A sword at 247/255 exemple , with 180 smith youd have 100% chance to success repairing, with 30% chance to loose 1 durability down to 254/254, and 70% chance to not loose durability back to 255/255 


    Thank you so much for this information. If possible, can you please share that repair calculator? It does not show up at Google for some reason.

    With chances you gave, it seems like waiting until the item hits 5/255 durability is the best decision to prolong the items life.

    sent you pm for the calculator link

    Also last thing is you have more chance to repair and less chance at loosing dura on a ring thats 120/125  as oposed to 120/255 , because the ratio is closer on the 120/125, it acts as if it was a ring with 250/255 when it comes to the %
  • Please do post the calculator link.

    The EC has a primitive way of marking durability -  that could be enhanced with the right formulas covering item type (100 skill, 120 skill, 180 skill repairs).

  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 290
    edited November 2023
    its a japanese website so youll have to translate to english
    https://uovm.info/?i_ID=125
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 773
    edited November 2023

    It seems these are the thresholds - don't let it go below these % values:

    durability = current durability / max durability

    20% durability for 100 skill items (51/255 = 20%)
    4% durability for 120 skill items  (11/255 = 4.3% good; 10/255 = 3.9% - too late)
    0% durability for 180 skill items  (repair before 0 to avoid max durability loss when damage taken)

  • I repair my stuff when its absolutely knackered or when Pinco tells me to
  • I repair my stuff when its absolutely knackered or when Pinco tells me to
    Then you are probably having alot of unecessary durability losses on your antique jewels, this calculator just tell you that at 20% durability left you got to repair or you start failing repairing which is 1 dura loss everytime which means you just a whole cycle of durability on your jewel for nothing
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,824
    I repair my stuff when its absolutely knackered or when Pinco tells me to
    Then you are probably having alot of unecessary durability losses on your antique jewels, this calculator just tell you that at 20% durability left you got to repair or you start failing repairing which is 1 dura loss everytime which means you just a whole cycle of durability on your jewel for nothing
    I don't wear antique items, but I choose to use the convenience of a repair bench over having to drop off the item to my crafter to repair and then return it.

    I bought a 190 luck armor piece on Atlantic that was very nice and very cheap because they forgot to powder it. I wear it while doing the event and it has only needed 2 repairs so far.


    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 290
    edited November 2023
    Pawain said:
    I repair my stuff when its absolutely knackered or when Pinco tells me to
    Then you are probably having alot of unecessary durability losses on your antique jewels, this calculator just tell you that at 20% durability left you got to repair or you start failing repairing which is 1 dura loss everytime which means you just a whole cycle of durability on your jewel for nothing
    I don't wear antique items, but I choose to use the convenience of a repair bench over having to drop off the item to my crafter to repair and then return it.

    I bought a 190 luck armor piece on Atlantic that was very nice and very cheap because they forgot to powder it. I wear it while doing the event and it has only needed 2 repairs so far.


    Good for you Pawain, but alot of players use very expensive (some prepatch) antique jewels.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,029
    I'm not sure what would be considered pre-patch for jewelry because we still have "no-name" legendary jewels today (unlike armor). 

    That said, yes some of those jewels are still very expensive but I like the trade off for those items being pretty loaded on intensity but antique to wear them out faster. I think that some of the name name legendary armor items should be able to respawn but carry an antique tag.

    I have some antique jewels I'm running for this event with lots of skills on them... I do get hit frequently but I'm still at a max durb of around 235 for each piece. I'm sure they will last me through the event which would net me easily 1 plat if I sold all the items I'm getting (backpack drops or rewards). I think that's a fair trade off for jewels that I bought for 20m each
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 290
    edited November 2023
    keven2002 said:
    I'm not sure what would be considered pre-patch for jewelry because we still have "no-name" legendary jewels today (unlike armor). 

    Names on 8 mods jewels don't exist as far as I remember
    9-13+ mods is prepatch, and yes antique is a good counter to them (jewels), brittle pp armor will last decades.
    No name on armor just mean it generated random mods instead of the categorized names mods, but I'm pretty sure no name armor can still drop in the game, from high end stuff or tmaps or something (could be wrong)
    Also stuff with -100 luck, cursed, cannot be repaired and brittle with 75 durability are considered the first gen of prepatch gear, but not the most powerful, I think those were still capped at 8 mods, before the uncapping fiasco hapenned.

    I just wish they'd revamp imbuing up to 6 mods, reforge up to 7 mods (with a chance to 8), loot is fine at 8.
    Then all they would need to do is make us able to imbue all the underwhelming artifacts in the game that are under 5 mods to at least 5 or 6 mods, It would open alot of character template building without being too game breaking
    nothing can be game breaking when you have this kind of stuff already in the game

  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,029
    keven2002 said:
    I'm not sure what would be considered pre-patch for jewelry because we still have "no-name" legendary jewels today (unlike armor). 

    Names on 8 mods jewels don't exist as far as I remember
    9-13+ mods is prepatch, and yes antique is a good counter to them (jewels), brittle pp armor will last decades.
    No name on armor just mean it generated random mods instead of the categorized names mods, but I'm pretty sure no name armor can still drop in the game, from high end stuff or tmaps or something (could be wrong)
    Also stuff with -100 luck, cursed, cannot be repaired and brittle with 75 durability are considered the first gen of prepatch gear, but not the most powerful, I think those were still capped at 8 mods, before the uncapping fiasco hapenned.

    I just wish they'd revamp imbuing up to 6 mods, reforge up to 7 mods (with a chance to 8), loot is fine at 8.
    Then all they would need to do is make us able to imbue all the underwhelming artifacts in the game that are under 5 mods to at least 5 or 6 mods, It would open alot of character template building without being too game breaking
    nothing can be game breaking when you have this kind of stuff already in the game

    I think we are on the same page. I was simply commenting on your post about ppl using antique prepatch jewels. As it relates to jewelry, I don't think there is really anything people use today (the -100 luck etc) and the stuff they use still spawns. Albeit hard to come by depending on what is on it (and if you built the entire suit around it) but my experience are those people are typically PvPers.

    The no name legendary shields still spawn but the no name legendary items do not to my knowledge (the no name items are like major/lesser artifacts).
  • keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:
    I'm not sure what would be considered pre-patch for jewelry because we still have "no-name" legendary jewels today (unlike armor). 

    Names on 8 mods jewels don't exist as far as I remember
    9-13+ mods is prepatch, and yes antique is a good counter to them (jewels), brittle pp armor will last decades.
    No name on armor just mean it generated random mods instead of the categorized names mods, but I'm pretty sure no name armor can still drop in the game, from high end stuff or tmaps or something (could be wrong)
    Also stuff with -100 luck, cursed, cannot be repaired and brittle with 75 durability are considered the first gen of prepatch gear, but not the most powerful, I think those were still capped at 8 mods, before the uncapping fiasco hapenned.

    I just wish they'd revamp imbuing up to 6 mods, reforge up to 7 mods (with a chance to 8), loot is fine at 8.
    Then all they would need to do is make us able to imbue all the underwhelming artifacts in the game that are under 5 mods to at least 5 or 6 mods, It would open alot of character template building without being too game breaking
    nothing can be game breaking when you have this kind of stuff already in the game

    As it relates to jewelry, I don't think there is really anything people use today (the -100 luck etc) and the stuff they use still spawns.
    Well the 9-13mods prepatch jewels is what is the most sought and used for in PvP
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,029
    keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:
    I'm not sure what would be considered pre-patch for jewelry because we still have "no-name" legendary jewels today (unlike armor). 

    Names on 8 mods jewels don't exist as far as I remember
    9-13+ mods is prepatch, and yes antique is a good counter to them (jewels), brittle pp armor will last decades.
    No name on armor just mean it generated random mods instead of the categorized names mods, but I'm pretty sure no name armor can still drop in the game, from high end stuff or tmaps or something (could be wrong)
    Also stuff with -100 luck, cursed, cannot be repaired and brittle with 75 durability are considered the first gen of prepatch gear, but not the most powerful, I think those were still capped at 8 mods, before the uncapping fiasco hapenned.

    I just wish they'd revamp imbuing up to 6 mods, reforge up to 7 mods (with a chance to 8), loot is fine at 8.
    Then all they would need to do is make us able to imbue all the underwhelming artifacts in the game that are under 5 mods to at least 5 or 6 mods, It would open alot of character template building without being too game breaking
    nothing can be game breaking when you have this kind of stuff already in the game

    As it relates to jewelry, I don't think there is really anything people use today (the -100 luck etc) and the stuff they use still spawns.
    Well the 9-13mods prepatch jewels is what is the most sought and used for in PvP

    Do they event exist (jewels with 9-13 mods)? If so, are they antique?

    I thought your original post was about repairing pre-patch jewels and them being antique? At the end of the day all antique gears wears out the same. As I said before, I think they should "flip the switch" on 9-13 mod items and make them all antique. Give people more power while knowing that it's going to have a time limit (as opposed to brittle that lasts for years).
  • keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:
    I'm not sure what would be considered pre-patch for jewelry because we still have "no-name" legendary jewels today (unlike armor). 

    Names on 8 mods jewels don't exist as far as I remember
    9-13+ mods is prepatch, and yes antique is a good counter to them (jewels), brittle pp armor will last decades.
    No name on armor just mean it generated random mods instead of the categorized names mods, but I'm pretty sure no name armor can still drop in the game, from high end stuff or tmaps or something (could be wrong)
    Also stuff with -100 luck, cursed, cannot be repaired and brittle with 75 durability are considered the first gen of prepatch gear, but not the most powerful, I think those were still capped at 8 mods, before the uncapping fiasco hapenned.

    I just wish they'd revamp imbuing up to 6 mods, reforge up to 7 mods (with a chance to 8), loot is fine at 8.
    Then all they would need to do is make us able to imbue all the underwhelming artifacts in the game that are under 5 mods to at least 5 or 6 mods, It would open alot of character template building without being too game breaking
    nothing can be game breaking when you have this kind of stuff already in the game

    As it relates to jewelry, I don't think there is really anything people use today (the -100 luck etc) and the stuff they use still spawns.
    Well the 9-13mods prepatch jewels is what is the most sought and used for in PvP

    Do they event exist (jewels with 9-13 mods)? If so, are they antique?

    I thought your original post was about repairing pre-patch jewels and them being antique? At the end of the day all antique gears wears out the same. As I said before, I think they should "flip the switch" on 9-13 mod items and make them all antique. Give people more power while knowing that it's going to have a time limit (as opposed to brittle that lasts for years).
    Yes all 9-13 mods pp jewels are already antique and they don’t spawn anymore, and this post is mostly about these jewels, how to repair them efficiently 
Sign In or Register to comment.