Does jewelry/equipment help with Mastery skill checks POST 90 skill?

DeaconDeacon Posts: 7
edited January 2022 in General Discussions
I know you have to have 90 real skill to use the masteries. I am unsure on whether or not jewelry helps on checks past the 90 skill threshold. Such as the check on Commanding Undead for Necro. If I have 95 necro and +25 skill will the mastery use 95 or 120 on the skill check?
Tagged:

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    My understanding of the mastery buffs are that they all will check REAL skill and the added skills from items will not give you better buffs.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Masteries use real skill for power determination. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Yep, Mastery abilities operate purely off of Real Skill. Several of them scale rather sharply too. For example, there's a pretty big difference in the effectiveness of Consume Damage between 110 skill and 120.
    Finally, Real Skill matters again.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
     was he  asking about success chance?

This leads one to believe that yes, +skill helps, as its not a buff.

• Try out the Test Center (TC) with a character and see what happens?
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Norry said:

I never know there is a difference. 

For example:
    ---
    Flaming Shot
    The archer fires a volley of flaming arrows at a target or location. On successful hit fire damage based on mastery level is done to a number of targets in a radius based on the archery and tactics skill.
    ---
    So the chance to proc a successful flaming shot counts modified skills?
    The amount of fire damage is based on real skill?

Can @Mariah help to confirm this?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Seth said:
    Norry said:

I never know there is a difference. 

For example:
    ---
    Flaming Shot
    The archer fires a volley of flaming arrows at a target or location. On successful hit fire damage based on mastery level is done to a number of targets in a radius based on the archery and tactics skill.
    ---

Can @ Mariah help to confirm this?

I don't think I can help with that one. You'll need @Bleak
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited January 2022
    some masteries are partially affected from real skill vs modified skills.

For exemple parry mastery shield bash, with 120 real wrestling, the damage is the same 24-35*, at both 90 real parry (120 with items) vs 120 real parry, vs a 70% physical resist target.
    The only thing that changes is the duration of the ability so it last 3 sec at 90 real and 6 sec at 120 real , so it gives a few more seconds to land the shield bash at 120 real.

*in my tests I've yet to hit a 35 dmg on shield bash (ive done almost hundred bashes with diff. values) , all my results were 24-34 but on EC the tooltip of shield bash specifiy it caps out at 35 I believe. Here are the results with a sample of 10 x shield bashes:
    1. with 90: 24-24-29-28-27-33-31-26-34-30
    2. with 120: 29-25-34-32-24-29-27-33-28-34
    3. 28,6 average with 90 real
    4.  29,5 with 120 real
    So yes the sample is small only 10 shield bashes but I tend to believe it's the same damage because the same thing happen with playing the odds mastery with archery, only the duration is affected by real vs modified skills, the buff/ from playing the odds stays the same (45 hci and 30 ssi) at both 90 real archery or 120 real.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited January 2022
    In General,  one or more of these; Mana upkeep cost, spell duration, cooldown, power of spell, will be less efficient when lower than 120 real skill.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited January 2022
    Seth said:

For example:
    ---
    Flaming Shot
    ---

Can @ Mariah help to confirm this?

The chance to proc damage on someone with flaming shot is so low that it makes the whole spell useless both pvp and pvm, its less than 25% chance to hit even against a target with 0 defense skills! (def. something wrong here), so no need to go further to say it's useless, when you can hit at 50% chance or even 100% chance to hit on all specials moves in the game , depending if target has 120 or 0 defense skills.