Starting a New Career: Fisher - Any Advices?

IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
edited December 2021 in General Discussions
Hi all!

For once in my UO life I'm seriously considering to - *GASP* :D - work for a living, so I've decided to try my paws at Fishing

Any kind advice about how to better go at it would be very appreciate! <3

So, what about the best:

Race - Are Gargs OK? Don't they frighten away the little fishes "fanning" around the ship deck?;
Skills Template - Beside Fishing - to this I'm able to arrive by myself... B) ;) - what other skills are needed/useful for a productive fishing life?;
Personal Equipment - What kind of Suit/Armor is better... suited to catch the Bounty of the (insert Britannia number of) Seas?;
Ship - A whispering moongbat tells me that an Orc Ship is the best option... if one can stomach the stink left by the previous owners...;
Ship Armament - The same MB tell me that going out in the deep Blue Horizon (apologies Jeff B., and, please, don't sue me!!! :'( B) :D) whitout a "Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" kind of ship is REALLY unwise!
Where, When and How to fish, to provide Britannia with its needed daily Omega3 font (and me with plenty of GPs for my coffers!) in the most efficient way? 
General Tips & Tricks
Where to buy a fishable Water Tile... ehr, no, the moongbat is telling me that this is REALLY a no-no, heavily frowned upon by TPTB. Pity... :'( :D

TIA to all!  :)

Cheers
Ivenor
«1

Comments

  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Yay... finally a career in fishing :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Seth said:
    Yay... finally a career in fishing :D
    Better late than never... :D ;)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,038Moderator
    Any character with a ranged attack - so any form of casting char, archer or bladeweaver to reach those nastys that you might fish up with a fishing net

    Orc ships are nice, but while training bear in mind that a Tokuno ship gives a slight bonus. There is a fisher's suit from Clean up, but not everyone thinks it is worth the investment.
    Here are the relevant wiki pages:





  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Mariah said:
    Any character with a ranged attack - so any form of casting char, archer or bladeweaver to reach those nastys that you might fish up with a fishing net

    Orc ships are nice, but while training bear in mind that a Tokuno ship gives a slight bonus. There is a fisher's suit from Clean up, but not everyone thinks it is worth the investment.
    Here are the relevant wiki pages:
    Thanks! :)

    I.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    edited December 2021
    I have a gargoyle fisher who also has cooking so I can make those magical fish pies. They are also a mage so I can kill stuff like random creatures, pirate ships, and plunder beacons. Make/buy a fishing pole with spell channeling if you use magery. You could also make/buy one with luck. 

    Do the fishmonger quests to try to get a 120 power scroll (seems to take eternity). You can get special hooks in the process. Use junk proof hooks with special fish bait if you have them. Use a fisherman’s suit when using bait for a bonus in bait strength. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,136
    Yarrrrrrrrrr
    I be a pirate i means Fisherman 
    Taming 
    Lore 
    Vet 
    Fishing 
    Magery 
    Resisting 
    I's also have duns all da dungeons able to get drops wit me build i cans do roof or dooms as well 
    Welcome to da Biz !!
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”

    :D :) ;)
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Ivenor said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”

    :D :) ;)
    Goats eat footwear and are very important 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • AenvarAenvar Posts: 45
    Grimbeard said:
    Taming 
    Lore 
    Vet 
    Fishing 
    Magery 
    Resisting 

    I run exactly the same spec, and confirm it works wonderfully. In fact, it's my favorite character!
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    For fishing you can use virtually any template you want that can fit in the skill points.  I use a bard.  The tactic is a fully skilled (not leveled) vollem set to guard you.  They will kill anything you can fish up.  Obviously for net tosses you might want some more advanced combat skills, but that is what I do just for fishing.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    McDougle said:
    Ivenor said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”

    :D :) ;)
    Goats eat footwear and are very important 

    Yes, I know that... :)
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,324
    Archer or Thrower has plenty of room for a 120 Fisher.  Personally I use an Archer with a https://www.uoguide.com/The_Horselord
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 544
    edited December 2021
    Merus said:
    For fishing you can use virtually any template you want that can fit in the skill points.  I use a bard.  The tactic is a fully skilled (not leveled) vollem set to guard you.  They will kill anything you can fish up.  Obviously for net tosses you might want some more advanced combat skills, but that is what I do just for fishing.

    Was about to mention that. You actually can use a Vollem that's been slot leveled once, so long as it's "Taming Required" doesn't exceed 30.0. My Fishers use a Vollem that's been leveled once.

    Kills virtually anything they encounter while fishing the ocean, even Krakens. When fishing in a dungeon, i'll use that Vollem to guard me and a 1 slot Giant Beetle to carry my fish. My Prospector (Mining+LJ+Fishing) on Atlantic uses a pre-patch Vollem leveled to 3 slots with a similar build (just less Base Damage), so that he can use Vollem+Fire Beetle+Giant Beetle at same time. Fun watching my Vollem tear apart Water Eles, Wyverns and Drakes as i fish inside Destard. The Fishermen's Bushel is useful for reducing the Fish Weight in the Giant Beetle.

    The Tokuno Ship actually has the most cargo weight allowance of any of the regular Galleons, 16,000 Stones. Only the massive Britannia Ship has more, with 28,000 Stones.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited December 2021
    Thanks to all for the replies and the advises! :)

    I'm particularly intrigued by the suggestion to use Vollems as Fishing companions (always loved that little critters! <3).

    Two Questions:

    1. Why the Vollems? For the low Taming ability needed to use them?
    2. What does it mean "a fully skilled (not leveled) Vollem"?
    3. Don't they risk to rust/corrode in the Sea?

    Cheers
    Ivenor 


    (Ok the last one is NOT a real question... ;)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,038Moderator
    1. yes
    2. 100 in every skill, but not taken through the new animal training
    3. From a crystal, not tinker made.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Mariah said:
    1. yes
    2. 100 in every skill, but not taken through the new animal training
    3. From a crystal, not tinker made.
    Thanks! :)
  • BenBen Posts: 214
    edited July 2022
    I can actually say I GM'd Fishing just standing around doing it, and at the end, mostly off the docks of Magincia. I do not have any adice to give, except to say I am glad for it all. You will be, too.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Ben said:
    I can actually say I GM'd Fishing just standing around doing it, and at the end, mostly off the docks of Magincia. I do not have any adice to give, except to say I am glad for it all. You will be, too.
    Thanks! :)

    BTW: More than in fishes, I’m interested in “Barnacle Covered” Armor pieces for my Armor Sets Collection. Has anyone any tip on how to maximize the number of BC Items fished?
    BTW2: @Mariah - obviously my Vollem/rust question was only a joke… :D ;)
  • RinerRiner Posts: 374
    I've found that the fishing quests give me something to focus my fishing on and the eventual chance of higher-level scrolls. Remember each City has cumulative quests so the further along the quest line you go in a City the higher-level quest, and thus reward you receive. Do not toss named fish away keep them all for the fisher quests. Commodity deeds are your best friend as they can be used in the hold of your ship.

    As for template I use archer fishers as they engage things at a distance with ease. Snake Slayer bows make short work of sea monsters. 

    Don't forget crabbing also just another side of the profession. 

    I use the suit only when going for truly rare fish where I want ever advantage. It only gives a bonus when using baits, so I switch to it for bait fishing. Otherwise, a medium level archer suit works fine. Luck does affect the chests you dredge up so consider it when working those. 

    Sea Monsters drops fishing nets of various colors and MIBs both having a good value. 
  • Most important advice would be :

    KNOW WHERE YOU LEAVE YOUR SHIP OR SHIPS.

    Theres still bugs that will make your ship runes not work, ie “This ship can not be located.” Years ago to address this bug they added dock attendants that are supposed to issue new functional runes but in my experience even they screw up sometimes & can’t find your ship.

    Less then 2 weeks ago I lost 2 ships because they couldn’t be found. This is a reality for which you’d best be prepared. Before dock attendants, I lost a fully stocked garg ship w almost maxed storage of months worth caught fish, thousands of cannon charges & ammo, and various fishing map loots/pirate loots. Not even 2 wks ago, I lost 2 small ships (1 crab fishing ship & 1 storage ship) due to this bug. Dock attendants did not help.

    I would have lost 2 other ships near the npc fish market if not for taking a rowboat (yes, a rowboat) launched from the south end of Moonglow to refresh them. Since I had the max number boats in the water, the only vessel available to use was a rowboat. The game recognized I couldn’t place anymore boats yet somehow couldn’t find them. My runes didn’t work and dock attendants couldn’t find them.

    Even tho it may seem like it, I’m not posting to complain. Bugs happen. Am I upset ? Of course... but I’ve not posted anywhere to bitch after it happening. I am posting now to try & save you the disappointment and aggravation of losing everything you’ve spent months or yrs acquiring, including lost status from filling fishing crates orders.

    That said, hope you enjoy your fishing experience :)
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Acid_Rain said:
    Most important advice would be :

    KNOW WHERE YOU LEAVE YOUR SHIP OR SHIPS.

    Theres still bugs that will make your ship runes not work, ie “This ship can not be located.” Years ago to address this bug they added dock attendants that are supposed to issue new functional runes but in my experience even they screw up sometimes & can’t find your ship.

    Less then 2 weeks ago I lost 2 ships because they couldn’t be found. This is a reality for which you’d best be prepared. Before dock attendants, I lost a fully stocked garg ship w almost maxed storage of months worth caught fish, thousands of cannon charges & ammo, and various fishing map loots/pirate loots. Not even 2 wks ago, I lost 2 small ships (1 crab fishing ship & 1 storage ship) due to this bug. Dock attendants did not help.

    I would have lost 2 other ships near the npc fish market if not for taking a rowboat (yes, a rowboat) launched from the south end of Moonglow to refresh them. Since I had the max number boats in the water, the only vessel available to use was a rowboat. The game recognized I couldn’t place anymore boats yet somehow couldn’t find them. My runes didn’t work and dock attendants couldn’t find them.

    Even tho it may seem like it, I’m not posting to complain. Bugs happen. Am I upset ? Of course... but I’ve not posted anywhere to bitch after it happening. I am posting now to try & save you the disappointment and aggravation of losing everything you’ve spent months or yrs acquiring, including lost status from filling fishing crates orders.

    That said, hope you enjoy your fishing experience :)

    Thanks! :)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,279
    edited December 2022
    Better advice that helps all of us. Dry dock your @*#% ships. 

    I am tired of finding them. 

    Aka pick up your toys when you finish playing with them. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,136
    edited December 2022
    Pawain said:
    Better advice that helps all of us. Dry dock your @ *#% ships. 

    I am tired of finding them. 

    Aka pick up your toys when you finish playing with them. 
    I've left my ships both full of fish out for months you just have to refresh them as they decay now..
  • Get real @Pawain

    If u dry dock ur ship after each use ur the only one. Are you seriously upset with boats in the water or trolling? UO IS my toy to play with & boats are part of the game. Stop trying to derail a thread asking for honest advice.

    I’m not replying again or even looking at this thread so save ur breath. I was just offering advice I wish someone had shared with me. <3
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,279
    You don't do beacons so you do not understand how annoying your ships are to others.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,136
    Pawain said:
    You don't do beacons so you do not understand how annoying your ships are to others.
    You dont fish or you wouldn't expect anybody to empty 20k worth of fish everytime.. we have asked repeatedly for work on the tracker of course we never are heard..
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,391
    Actually, I only do as many fish quests as I want to do at a time then dry dock my ship. I keep my fish stocks at home. 
    I tend to do beacons in Fel, there are no player boats to dodge there. 
    As I remember it at least part of the reason harbor masters fail to find boats is that they're on, or close to, a server line. Try not to leave them in such locations. 
  • RinerRiner Posts: 374
    Unfortunately, the fishing quest crates are put in the hull of your ship and only are removed if you finish the quest or quit the quest. Quitting causes you to lose hard earned progress, so they need to stay until finished. Of course, that does not force people to keep ships in the middle of the sea, no reason they can't be parked along the shore, but unless you happen to complete all the fishing quests before you leave for the day dry docking isn't really an option. And I do plenty of beacons, there are more than one way to approach them if a ship, or remnants are blocking my preferred approaches. 
Sign In or Register to comment.