Potential Issue w/ Dynamic Spawn?

2»

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    edited December 2021
    McDougle said:
    I wondered only because if its an existing mechanic they might have trouble changing it
    What do you mean ?

Either a mechanics is coded right from start, or it can never be adjusted right, if necessary, at least to my opinion, as in this case beng discussed in this Thread ?
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    I wondered only because if its an existing mechanic they might have trouble changing it
    What do you mean ?

Either a mechanics is coded right from start, or it can never be adjusted right, if necessary, at least to my opinion, as in this case beng discussed in this Thread ?
    If it's part of the spaghetti code they might have trouble changing 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    edited December 2021
    A change to have the dynamic spawns not "decay" the progress may make sense.  That means there is always forward progress.  The bosses seem about right difficulty wise.

If the spawn always makes forward progress, there probably isn't much reason to increase the participation reward limit.  Any number below infinite would likely not please all anyway.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited December 2021
    keven2002 said:

I think that maybe another solution might be to allow a better chance at the rare drop (ie archfiend mask) when killing the champ. There is absolutely a fine line of balancing so having the champ drop crimmys every time to everyone isn't realistic, I get that, but there needs to be incentive to kill the champ (especially for those that weren't there for waves 1-3). I think maybe a 25% chance of getting an archfiend mask would help incentivize people coming to kill the champ even once they have all the demon belt drops they want. 
    Yes, I think putting the rare rewards with the final boss is the better way, with a lower percentage drop than the belt.

As some mentioned, it would be very attractive if the masks are wearable and can use transmog instead of a simple home decor. Anyway, a wearable mask can also be a home decor.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    edited December 2021
    Putting the rare rewards on the final boss would just diminish the value and desirability of them. Making it so people would only show up for the final boss vs clearing the spawn with a low drop % for the rare rewards. It's already possible to get a mask drop from the final boss if there are masks still available for that spawn to be given out.

As for the length of time to kill the boss, it's advised for people to look to see what they are bringing to the table to kill that boss. Are melee warriors using onslaught, are tamers bringing beetles? Conductive blast? Is the mob being discorded by a player or pet? WoD? People saying they are taking 20-30 minutes for a group to kill it are not taking advantage of the abilities in game to shorten that time.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Just double the amount this isn't rocket science and they are deco
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,082
    edited December 2021
    Violet said:
    Putting the rare rewards on the final boss would just diminish the value and desirability of them. Making it so people would only show up for the final boss vs clearing the spawn with a low drop % for the rare rewards. It's already possible to get a mask drop from the final boss if there are masks still available for that spawn to be given out.

I think the biggest problem here is that there are several scenarios where there is absolutely zero incentive to kill the champ. In the event someone actually wants another belt and they arrive after wave 3 they won't get what they were looking to get until the next spawn. If someone wants masks but the spawn was already worked for the 25 drops they won't get any until the next spawn.

In both of the scenarios people will need to take X time plus 30min reset for another chance (with the current chance being zero). In that same time period, people can do countless other things depending on their skill level for an actual chance at some reward. Especially for someone like me, where I really only have maybe an hour at a time to play most days, who would basically only have enough time to do the spawn to help it reset and if they're lucky maybe be able to do part of a second one.

So while I get it that we wouldn't want to make a rare basically non-rare; there needs to be a carrot dangled out there for [majority of] people to do the spawn/champ because as it stands right now majority of people aren't going to help finish a spawn if there is no reward. As unfortunate as some people might think that is; it's just the reality of it in most cases. 

As for the length of time to kill the boss, it's advised for people to look to see what they are bringing to the table to kill that boss. Are melee warriors using onslaught, are tamers bringing beetles? Conductive blast? Is the mob being discorded by a player or pet? WoD? People saying they are taking 20-30 minutes for a group to kill it are not taking advantage of the abilities in game to shorten that time.
    When there is a true group I don't think many people are saying it's an issue. I didn't see many people saying anything about this the first few days of the spawn when everyone was working it. The issue now that the event has been out for a couple weeks is that the "group" is literally 3 or 4 random people who are working the spawn on let's say their sampire or archer. Nobody is logging their char who would get a belt for their tamer / bard just to make the champ die faster. That said, to be honest saying 3-4 people is overstating what actually happens because typically it's just 1 or 2 people (outside of a handful of shards like ATL/LS/Europa and/or being on at peak hours). 

The solution will require giving people some incentive to come help kill the boss or work the spawn.
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    There is always incentive to kill the boss, you will restart the spawn and have a chance to get more masks. Sometimes you just have to do the work to get rewards. One idea is to half the numbers of masks so people stay and does the spawn more times before they get their set. I gave up on getting a rare mask after 300 or so plain ones.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    IChrille said:
    There is always incentive to kill the boss, you will restart the spawn and have a chance to get more masks. Sometimes you just have to do the work to get rewards. One idea is to half the numbers of masks so people stay and does the spawn more times before they get their set. I gave up on getting a rare mask after 300 or so plain ones.
    Exactly.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Chrille said:
    hmm, I must be lucky, I got 2 rares from less than 30 rounds. 
    But yeah, put rewards with the boss as long as it’s not one of those Kyronix’s fav. ghost making machines…  :D

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,082
    edited December 2021
    Chrille said:
    There is always incentive to kill the boss, you will restart the spawn and have a chance to get more masks. Sometimes you just have to do the work to get rewards. 
    If the spawn is on wave 1 and all the masks are gone (and nobody is working it) that means someone will have to work the whole spawn (likely solo once people figure out no masks are dropping) and the champ. And wait 30min for the reset. On the very low end we are talking at least an hour of time for absolutely zero chance at any rare mask. On the flip side, someone could do all the rooms in shadowguard including the roof (I'm not great at it but I can do it in an hour) for a chance at Cameo/Sandals/Robe. It's all about opportunity cost with the limited time people have. 

Chrille said:
    One idea is to half the numbers of masks so people stay and does the spawn more times before they get their set. I gave up on getting a rare mask after 300 or so plain ones.
    How would halving the number of masks dropped make people stay longer? If anything people will leave sooner because 12 masks are going to run out quicker than 25. The only thing this does is inflate the market price (then people will complain how expensive they are).

In a game of a million grinds, I think expecting someone to spend an hour plus of their time for no chance or a reduced chance (lowering total drops from where they are) instead of finding a different more rewarding grind is unrealistic. For someone that really wants a set of archfiend masks and 100 belts; yea maybe they will work the no drop spawns to keep them rolling but the average player is going to go do something else and that is just the reality of it. Are you going to go hunt down every single paragon balron in the dungeon during the Treasure Of event (even with them giving a better chance at a drop) or are you going to blast as many imps/ mongbats / hell hounds / gazer larva as you can before having to deal with a paragon?