Looting rights - any distance limits?

I don’t know how it works these days, hoping somebody can clarify.  Any distance restrictions to looting rights?  Here’s the situation:
Guy in Hythloth casts one earthquake, does some damage but not killing much, then zip away going room to room doing the same thing until they hit the whole floor, rinse and repeat. It seems like they are probably doing enough damage to get looting rights on all but the paragons and maybe balrons, as long as distance doesn’t wipe rights.  In that case, it’s probably a pretty effective strategy.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Thunderstorm works too
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    As long as they stay on the same subserver when the mob dies, they are good
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,305
    Suspect you get some credit if what you damage is eventually killed but you don’t get always get looting rights.  I do this some times when there is a lot of action going on.  To get looting rights you need to do a minimum amount of damage that varies from one creature to the next.  Also, extent of looting rights are limited by the amount of damage you do.  You only get partial looting rights to what the character was carrying. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited November 2021
    https://www.uoguide.com/Looting_Rights

Search uoguide, the results show the exact page.
    uo wiki show publishes.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,981Moderator
    I'm sorry, I've never done a specific page for looting rights. I will trawl through those publishes and see if I can find something definitive and more upto date. I know when fighting boss mobs in a group or party healing others is also counted.
  • WracWrac Posts: 32

Thanks Mariah.  I found this on another site about damage and looting.  The info is from 2007 but may still be accurate. I’ve also heard here and there that damage taken and healing also factor in now.

Looting Rights

• If the max hp of the creature is:
      • Less than 200 hp: you have to do at least 1/2 of the top attacker's damage to get looting rights.
      • Between 200 and 1000 hp: you have to do at least 1/4 of the top attacker's damage to get looting rights.
      • Between 1000 and 3000 hp: you have to do at least 1/8 of the top attacker's damage to get looting rights.
      • 3000 or more hp: you have to do at least 1/16 of the top attacker's damage to get looting rights.
    • The person who does the first blow gets their damage multiplied by 125% for the purposes of calculating looting rights.
    • First and last blows are also used in calculating a tiebreaker, but as you'd have to do EXACTLY the same amount of damage, ties would be rare.
    Seth said:

uo wiki show publishes.
    Saw that, but that info is14 years old, doesn’t address the distance question, and was before healing or damage taken entered the equation.
    Wrac said:
    Seth said:

uo wiki show publishes.
    Saw that, but that info is14 years old, doesn’t address the distance question, and was before healing or damage taken entered the equation.
    Yup, I think Norry has the best answer for the distance question. 
  • RinerRiner Posts: 361
    Mariah said:
    I'm sorry, I've never done a specific page for looting rights. I will trawl through those publishes and see if I can find something definitive and more upto date. I know when fighting boss mobs in a group or party healing others is also counted.
    I'm not sure that healing on bosses counts towards all rewards. When doing Doom I use both my sampire and bard. The bard heals the sampire and casts discord on the bosses. I have gotten many rewards on my sampire and never anything on my bard. To be honest I've never tried to loot them with either so I would have to check that but bag drops the bard definitely doesn't qualify for. 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "When you say your bard heals the sampire, if you're talking about the hit point regen buff, that does not count as healing

There are patch notes that i'm sure Mariah will dig out that shows healing gives looting rights, you actually can get looting rights from receiving damage too"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,176
    Yoshi said:
    "When you say your bard heals the sampire, if you're talking about the hit point regen buff, that does not count as healing

There are patch notes that i'm sure Mariah will dig out that shows healing gives looting rights, you actually can get looting rights from receiving damage too"
    And this is why you'll see a lot of naked people at EM Drop events...they just run in and die over and over and over and over....and get a drop..

Not fair but they wrote the code lol so might as well use it :)

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,981Moderator
    I can find no reference to distance.
    Publish 74 said:

Looting rights distribution change

• Healers, Tanks, and DPS will all be equally counted when receiving looting rights throughout the game.
    Later publishes made reference to bug fixes and slight adjustments, no figures given, but essentially this information is current.

Larisa said:
    Yoshi said:

And this is why you'll see a lot of naked people at EM Drop events...they just run in and die over and over and over and over....and get a drop..

Not fair but they wrote the code lol so might as well use it :)
    Funny how many ways players will find to game the system.  No hate toward the people who do it, they aren’t exploiting anything, just working at the fringes of “intended play”.  Not my style, but gotta respect the creativity.
    Suspect distance has nothing to do with looting rights.  As has been mentioned in various posts it appears to be about how much damage you do.  I play a mage and I always hit things from a distance.  When fighting various spawns that appear all at once I can get well over 200 points from everything I damage when I cast a single earthquake spell.  Pretty sure that goes towards my credit for a drop for anything I damaged that is eventually killed regardless of who kills it as long as I am alive and in the general area.

Larisa really is it that easy to get a drop?  After spending all time killing demonic creatures and getting killed several times a night all I really had to do was leave all my insured gear at home and just get killed over and over again? Amazing.  Suspected all along getting killed increased my chances of getting a drop but never guessed that was all that is required.  Really UO, you should have fixed that years ago.  Always thought naked players where just  thieves with no defensive capabilities.  Have to admit UO did a good job of keeping that from new players.
    Arnold7 said:
    When fighting various spawns that appear all at once I can get well over 200 points from everything I damage when I cast a single earthquake spell. 

This is exactly what prompted my original question.  A mage running room to room blanketing pretty much the whole first floor with earthquake spells.  From the look of things, he probably had looting rights and drop chances on about 90% of the floor at times.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,076
    In deceit a mage casting earthquake or thunderstorm could kill things before a sampire got to them. Even outside rooms.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Earthquake does not do enough damage to get looting rights on anything you would want to loot.  It gets you credit I believe towards getting drops.  I have tried using it to damage paras and it simply does not do enough damage to get you looting rights on the big stuff.  Being an eighth circle spell you will runout of mana before you can even make a tiny dent.  And, while you are regenerating mana, your target heals itself.  On most moderately difficult paras even if you had it trapped you would never do enough damage to kill it using earthquake.  I will use it initially when a spawn first appears but after that I use direct damage spells.  The only exception might be if you have necro, are in wraieght (spelled wrong) form and hitting something you can leach mana from. 
    I use thunderstorm and have lots of sdi. 

Mc dougle brought up earthquake first Which is probably not that great for any dungeon.

You are not after paragons . It's the 30 little mobs you can blast for drops.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Pawain said:
    I use thunderstorm and have lots of sdi. 

Mc dougle brought up earthquake first Which is probably not that great for any dungeon.

You are not after paragons . It's the 30 little mobs you can blast for drops.

I replied to OP with thunderstorm they asked about earthquake 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Yoshi said:

No, actually my bard has 120 magery  and uses greater heal to heal my sampire. I use the bard\mage to heal almost all the damage that the sampire takes.  I understand what the patch notes say that doesn't change the fact that my bard does not get Doom artifacts or a split of the Dark Father Blood. I'm not sure if it gets credit to loot the mobs or not as I've never tried. 
    edited November 2021
    Riner said:
    Yoshi said:

No, actually my bard has 120 magery  and uses greater heal to heal my sampire. I use the bard\mage to heal almost all the damage that the sampire takes.  I understand what the patch notes say that doesn't change the fact that my bard does not get Doom artifacts or a split of the Dark Father Blood. I'm not sure if it gets credit to loot the mobs or not as I've never tried. 
    My healer bard gets drop and rights in shadowguard for gh and hp buff, but he is in party. Out of party he needs to do a little damage like a few EB to get rights.
    Peace mastery does not count, but provo mastery does, because it heals (i think) 4 to 16 at 4x120 every 3 seconds. But if you are partied, then credit goes to both group, and individual.
    edited November 2021
    Yup Invigorate counts as healing and Despair does damage.  But, my bard followed my macer around in Wildfire running invigorate.  He got very few drops unless he shot things with his bow.

The peace masteries don't do anything that counts towards loot rights.
    The bard is in party. The Dark Father always drops blood which all goes to the sampire, unless someone else is there that does damage then it is split. Also the sampire has gotten over 10 Doom drops and the bard despite being on all the runs from start to finish, and actively healing and discording, has gotten nothing. 
    Try popping a vollum on the bard, and have it attack the DF, it should help if you want more drops. Can even train it up 1 round if your careful and still be controlable by anyone
    Since he is a mage he could cast a few spells while holding a slayer book.
    Thanks for the great advice but my real point is that healing should be giving credit and it's not in this case.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,168
    It might be that you need to heal for a certain amount of damage to get looting rights. As for discord, it's never been something that gave looting rights. If you discord a champ (only thing you do) and let your sampire do all the work; the bard never gets a scroll. 
    Yet disco mastery, both spells, will get looting rights.