Best “tank” template

I know UO doesn’t follow the traditional tank, healer, DPS formula that many other MMO’s do, but I’m thinking about tank templates nonetheless.  Let’s assume event spawn so life leech is out of the equation, what melee templates would do best against this type of opponent?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,076
    edited October 2021
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/9228/an-easy-to-use-build-for-wildfire-paragons

This Tiger form template is very tanky, has healing so does not rely on LL.

I would pop it back up but Hythloth is much more crowded than Wildfire was.  You could go out of tiger form and use WW and go back in for paragons.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • WracWrac Posts: 32
    Thank you.  A ninja build is exactly what I had in mind when I asked the question.  I never really gave ninja much of a look but I’ve been watching a guy in tiger form with mirrors who has been impressive enough sometimes I stop just to watch this guy kill stuff.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,076
    Yup it does not do lots of damage but it kills and is very defensive.  Also not many keys to press.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Bleed from tiger form keeps the mobs attention on you, otherwise when it hits an immage, it will switch agro
    Pawain said: Yup it does not do lots of damage but it kills and is very defensive.  Also not many keys to press.
    Even better.  Old fingers means playing piano on my keyboard isn’t as fun as it used to be.  Definitely a build I will look into. 
  • Last i checked, 120 Ninjitsu gives about a 90% chance to deflect an incoming kinetic attack with Mirror Image. It's far more effective than Parry. You just need the FC/FCR to rapidly spam Mirror Image, and the Mana Leech to keep up with it.

White Tiger Form gives up to 5% Evasion chance, gives Mounted speed, and applies a Bleed on melee attack. The bleed is actually kind of bad, since it forces mobs to retarget you after they hit a Mirror Image, when normally after they hit a Mirror Image they'll just stand around for a few seconds as you pound them. You can't use Specials while in Form. I'd actually fight the Paragons while in normal Form, so i could use Specials (AI/DS) while spamming Mirror Image.

The good ol' Macer/Paladin is really tanky too. 120 Macing/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Healing/GM Parry/80 Resist/120 Chiv. I use this for farming the Treasures of Events. The combination of Stagger+Hit Fatigue against Paragons is really effective in neutering their melee damage output, allowing me to 4 sec bandy heal faster than they can melee swing.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945

The good ol' Macer/Paladin is really tanky too. 120 Macing/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Healing/GM Parry/80 Resist/120 Chiv. I use this for farming the Treasures of Events. The combination of Stagger+Hit Fatigue against Paragons is really effective in neutering their melee damage output, allowing me to 4 sec bandy heal faster than they can melee swing.
    @PlayerSkillFTW

What kind of suit do you wear on your Macer/Paladin if I may ask ?

And, as for your choice of Weapon, do you by any chance use a Glenda for the Bone Breaker property which can drain 20% stamina over time for 4 seconds on a Paragon Balron each time that it triggers ?
    Last i checked, 120 Ninjitsu gives about a 90% chance to deflect an incoming kinetic attack with Mirror Image. It's far more effective than Parry. You just need the FC/FCR to rapidly spam Mirror Image, and the Mana Leech to keep up with it.

White Tiger Form gives up to 5% Evasion chance, gives Mounted speed, and applies a Bleed on melee attack. The bleed is actually kind of bad, since it forces mobs to retarget you after they hit a Mirror Image, when normally after they hit a Mirror Image they'll just stand around for a few seconds as you pound them. You can't use Specials while in Form. I'd actually fight the Paragons while in normal Form, so i could use Specials (AI/DS) while spamming Mirror Image.

Great info here, thank you.  I’ve been working on a macer paladin.  I’ve always played casters and tamers so I just dont have much experience with melee.  The insight is appreciated.  The macer is almost done so I’ll finish him off while I start tinkering with a ninja build.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Last i checked, 120 Ninjitsu gives about a 90% chance to deflect an incoming kinetic attack with Mirror Image. It's far more effective than Parry. You just need the FC/FCR to rapidly spam Mirror Image, and the Mana Leech to keep up with it.

Nicely put description. 

I would like to add while using, white tiger adds +5 DCI overcap as well. This really comes in handy. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742

Now imagine IF they hadn't nerfed Ninja due to PVP issues...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    edited November 2021
    Now imagine if they had carried the focused rules(no parry, chiv, or bush,poisoning, or any other magic) and let you use speacials in form.

Heck, even give increased mana cost, or a need for focus to be a certain skill point. They hit ninja overly hard with the nerf bat, so now its good as a blink tank.