Why getting rid of the WBB customizations is a bad idea

For those who don't know the recent newsletter announced they would be removing the customizations at the various West Britain Banks. Though the impression given was that of a decision that mostly was made, the newsletter stated they'd listen to contrary arguments.

Well here are three arguments. I'm sure there are others but I've got three.

1 - Why take the time to remove something we already have? Assuming you're removing them manually, shard by shard and item by item, or coding it into the server, it seems like this alone could take a couple of hours of effort that likely would better be spent, say, rounding out or refining event content. Why take the time and effort to take away something from us that we already have?

2 - You said in the newsletter that you wanted to dump the deco because it had failed in its intent to bring people back to the WBB.
A--Was that really the intent? I always thought it was just to have cool and player-driven deco at one of the most-important locations in the capital city of the most-important country on the UO map.
B--More people use the WBB, and just hang out there (start groups there, socialize there, etc.) than you're giving credit for. It can be harder for you as devs to see this because you have all of the shards to worry about. By contrast most of us play on 1 or 2 shards and that gives us a larger dataset for things like this.

3 - Consistency is a virtue but so is uniqueness and individuality. These decorations add to the uniqueness and individuality on each shard. Consistency doesn't demand sameness.

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    IMHO someone pissed Bonnie off and she is threating to take her ball and go home.  There is ZERO reason what so ever to remove the deco other than spite.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 240
    The fact the decorations are all ugly is enough reason for it to be removed.
    The fact that the water is bugged in EC showing is enough.

And I imagine the dev's are getting tired of getting requests to add more features or decoration to the bank.  There is no reason not to remove the deco its gross and often neon color and is an eyesore to the community.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    edited April 2021
    Many people have been asking for more recipes to be added to Doom to make all the junky items actually usable...using that logic of Devs getting tired of requests and just removing stuff it sounds like Mesanna will be removing the Doom Gauntlet from the game too? 

Again this goes back to it takes zero effort to ignore requests or say "not at this time" or "no" compared to X amount of time to strip down the banks and then STILL have people asking for her to return the decorations. 

I guess common sense isn't always so common....
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited April 2021
    the dev's are getting tired of getting requests to add more features

Based on historical facts, I think ignoring requests seems to be the norm :D

This is why many is asking... why ignore everything else and focus on these either pretty, messy, ugly or historical deco?

We are not trying to ask for things for selfish reasons. The other issues like addressing bugs would have provided better user experience for current, returning and new players.

It's not the same population as before.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Honestly, the very limited dev time should be spent make NEW things for the game, not removing content that's already there. All this is going to do is take away from some other feature that could have been implemented all so we can have 1 more boring ass bank no one will use.

Leave the customizations. They aren't hurting anyone so what even is the point of doing this? I can suggest a lot of things like that could be done in that time instead of removing decorations from brit bank.

For example, fixing Cold Wind damage to actually deal useful damage. Fixing how pets use various spells and masteries. Turning a dungeon into a treasures event. Creating a few boss mobs and dropping them literally anywhere in the world and give them a handful of fun artifacts each. 
  • AstolfoAstolfo Posts: 8

Is it really the decoration that is bugger or is it EC's rendering that is bugged?

If we are going to start clearing up eyesores why not start with the abandoned EM event deco/characters scattered about the maps, or the random paintings and statues stuck in the world maps where houses previously fell? 
    Astolfo said:

Is it really the decoration that is bugger or is it EC's rendering that is bugged?

If we are going to start clearing up eyesores why not start with the abandoned EM event deco/characters scattered about the maps, or the random paintings and statues stuck in the world maps where houses previously fell? 

Sounds good to me. But the banks are especially gross and should be removed deco since it has been brought up. Never was a fan and even think luna decoration should go.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 290
    And what part of you think this design is such a great idea?
    The gate has annoyed me for many years, and theres no moongate at brit like other shards have. I think its good to have it removed. Its embarrasing for new/returning players trying to use the gate and are frustrated by this, umbelivable it has not been removed before.

Astolfo said:

Sounds good to me. But the banks are especially gross and should be removed deco since it has been brought up. Never was a fan and even think luna decoration should go.
    They are beautiful in the CC so maybe you should convert so you may see beauty and not fugly
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “It is interesting she’s doing something about Britain bank but nothing about haven bank
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/4140/incorrect-sign-posts-in-new-haven “
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,049
    psycho said:
    And what part of you think this design is such a great idea?
    The gate has annoyed me for many years, and theres no moongate at brit like other shards have. I think its good to have it removed. Its embarrasing for new/returning players trying to use the gate and are frustrated by this, umbelivable it has not been removed before.

That is where you pop out when you take that purple teleporter on the roof. It also tells you who was the Mayor at that time that designed it.

You dble click the purple painting to get on the roof where the gate is. I hope they leave those things!

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Remove them.  It looks ridiculous honestly.... Have you ever seen a roof with a yard? No.  I don't mind keeping some of the benches etc,,, but the britain bank roof custom ALL has to go.   It looks stupid.
    Drago said:
    Remove them.  It looks ridiculous honestly.... Have you ever seen a roof with a yard? No.  I don't mind keeping some of the benches etc,,, but the britain bank roof custom ALL has to go.   It looks stupid.
    Yes https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rooftop+gardens&qpvt=rooftop+gardens&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover
    edited April 2021
    Yup a lot of new and old buildings have gardens, plants, and/or small trees now.

I guess Drago does not look at house roofs much. Because that is the only place we can show off a sizeable amount of deco.

Don't look at any of my roofs Drago, you will be stupified.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2021
    Most modern buildings have garden, playground, bistro, pools on the roof. I see nothing wrong with those ingame design that I have seen before. Perhaps players who said something is ugly could be more specific as to which one they are referring to. Then perhaps trim them instead of totally remove all decors.

Beauty is in The Eye of the beholder. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,830

been used for a long time.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 638
    Keep it ALL. Give every city bank the same moongate, stable and circle that Brit has. Make ALL cities on par. If you want to make city bank useful give them what Brit has at least. As a governor, and I'm sure other governors feel the same, that our cities are being treated less equitably than Brit.

• MerlinMerlin Posts: 206
    Please leave West Brit Bank alone on all shards.

While WBB may not ever be as popular as Luna will be, it's still one of the more popular spots to hang out in game.   I still see "New Players" at WBB when they return, as older Vets probably head there first before going to Luna. 

Each shard has its own unique history and WBB is one of the places where that can clearly be seen.   There should be a moongate and Spellweaving circle at WBB for each shard.   

Rather than ripping it all down, let's keep building on our history and make West Britain Bank better for each and every shard. 
    Guys the banks are incredibly ugly. It's time to move on from the gross designs.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    The only way I think the decorations should be removed is if the Devs dedicate resources to blowing it up like Old Mag was and the players of the shard get to collect the custom pieces as rubble (keeping them shard bound). 

• DanpalDanpal Posts: 119
    Atlantic brit bank broken now 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    We need some kinda erosion if no visits area xx for yy it decays in noone visits in xx days after decay starts tile by tile area vanishes.....just think about how much landmass we'd lose...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    According to the recent newsletter, the comments are 50/50 so far. Still time to email your feedback since they are giving you more time before the Queen decides on the fate of the deco.
    Does she think that we really believe that it is 50/50 consider all the negative feedback she got here and Stratics.  @Mesanna @Mesanna1 stop lying to your player base, we all know you want to destroy WBB and no matter what we say you are going to do it so why not just get it over with.  Stop with all your BS numbers.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2021
    “active accounts that have not expressed any opinion/interest in the subject (this one included), by default would sit on the side of removing the bank decorations. Since she has declared her intentions to do so.”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Bilbo said:
    Does she think that we really believe that it is 50/50 consider all the negative feedback she got here and Stratics.  @ Mesanna @ Mesanna1 stop lying to your player base, we all know you want to destroy WBB and no matter what we say you are going to do it so why not just get it over with.  Stop with all your BS numbers.
    Then according to your lie theory she would have said the numbers were 70% for the way she wants and just do it.
    Yeah, Go ahead and burn it down already @Mesanna, we want some 

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    Posts have been removed from this thread.
    Forum posts are not an accurate measure of the feeling on this topic. Only those who feel strongly will post, unless attempting to bait a troll. Since 'troll bait' seems to be the current level of posting on the topic I am closing this thread.
This discussion has been closed.