New Vet Rewards as posted in the newsletter

13»

Comments

• GoldieGoldie Posts: 142
    what if these are just a book straps that holds the books, but you still have to take the book out that you need to hold.  That make more sense

If its absorbing the books, then that would be messy.  What if I want a book out of the rune book straps, change it or pass to my alt for whatever reason.  They don't carry all the same books on my chars.

Yes stinky pete, can't have everything blessed on siege, but if they are already blessed, why take blessed books put them into a none blessed bag (book straps) and have it all go to your corpse when you dye
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    It can not absorb slayers and use them.  How would we choose the slayer?  Spell books have other stats.  Just like an instrument, you have to select which slayer.

Popps asked for a way to carry books separate from other things in the back pack.  We got that.

If they stay in the bag after res, they serve their purpose.  I would get them if they were from the Huntsmaster Challenge.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 169
    Goldie said:
    sorry forgot to ask, which year will these vet rewards be attached to, and can only people with that year be able to use them?
    TY :)
    On a side note - where is the newsletter?  Can't find it on this site.  Only see a newsletter archive last updated in 2020. 
    @Mariah ;
    edited February 2021
    Jepeth said:
    I also am waiting to see how the book strap works on the TC, but indeed will be very disappointed if it's locked behind the vet reward mechanic. Those will be super useful to all players but especially mages who are toting around a good half dozen slayer spellbooks all the time.

Right now this is my tamer's bag on any average play session:

Half of the limited space in the bag is taken up by books. With only four possible auto-arm macro slots I need them to be splayed out like that so I can quickly find them. Again, a solution here would simply let us have a larger UI for the backpack but I know in the past the developers have said there are technical reasons in the CC preventing this. 
    FIrst off for runebooks you people need to start using Atlas's instead that hold 4x the runes.  

Second I carry a box with large containers enabled so I can sort inside of that and keep main pack clear. 

Now what I don't understand is if we can get other containers large in UO - why not the backback?
    This is the pack of my crafter on the left with the open box that I store the misc odds and ends I need. 

pack.jpg 108.1K
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    It's a preferential thing. I don't like the runic atlas, it's too big.

Crafters are not the same, unless you go kill dragons and balrons on your crafter. If you die, all that stuff in the box goes into your main backpack..TOTAL nightmare.

My crafter only has a few runebooks and I do the same thing to organize because there is no fear of my crafter dying.

This will be another gump I will have to have open on my screen because the macro I use for the bandaids will not work unless it's open. I don't want to have to open another bag within my bag to use a spellbook/runebook.

I am very glad they are putting this on test center.

• GoldieGoldie Posts: 142
    UONEWS posted a link to it on stratics    https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/nls-newsletter-6

I have no idea what account year it will be available to get, guess we wait till its on TC
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited February 2021
    TimSt said:
    The problem with absorbing the spell books is you lose the unique slayer capabilities of the books. I carry a minimum of 20 slayer spell books with me and equip the one I need to fight a particular mob.

Ideally the straps will bring the item count down to one so I can collect 19 more loot items.
    Well, not necessarily, how do the Mastery books work ?

We can change the active Mastery even if the book is the same.....

The straps could do the same for the Slayers, of course without the downtime that the Masteries have, just select one of the Slayers embedded in the straps and that one will be the active one...

Need to change it as if one was to unequip Slayer Book A and equip Slayer Book B ?

Just select another Slayer and this new one will be the active one....
    Larisa said:
    It's a preferential thing. I don't like the runic atlas, it's too big.

Crafters are not the same, unless you go kill dragons and balrons on your crafter. If you die, all that stuff in the box goes into your main backpack..TOTAL nightmare.

My crafter only has a few runebooks and I do the same thing to organize because there is no fear of my crafter dying.

This will be another gump I will have to have open on my screen because the macro I use for the bandaids will not work unless it's open. I don't want to have to open another bag within my bag to use a spellbook/runebook.

I am very glad they are putting this on test center.
    It is not only a matter of a preferential thing to prefer a runic Book over an Atlas book, it is also, often, a matter of "default" runes that one can pick....

Several player like to be able to quickly recall or Gate on the "Default" rune and, by having multiple Rune Books, they can have multiple "default" runes that they can recall/Gate "on the fly"....

While it is a positive thing that an Atlas book can hold more runes as compared to a Rune Book it can still only have 1 Default rune to quickly Recall/Gate to....

I wished there was a way to have "multiple" default runes in an Atlas book permitting to associate the various default runes of an Atlas Book to different keys, for example numbers...

For example, say that in an Atlas Book, the Britain Bank rune was associated as default to the # 1 key on the keyboard, the Zento Bank rune was assocated as another default to the # 2 key on the keyboard and the Vesper Bank rune was associated as another default to the # 3 key on the keyboard, then the player would cast Recall/Gate, press either the key 1 or 2 or 3 on the keyboard and thus quickly get to Britain or Zento or Vesper Bank....

Got the idea ?

This way, the Atlas books could truly be far more usefull because, besides holding more runes, one could also set multiple of those runes in it as "defaults"....
    edited February 2021
    popps said:
    TimSt said:
    The problem with absorbing the spell books is you lose the unique slayer capabilities of the books. I carry a minimum of 20 slayer spell books with me and equip the one I need to fight a particular mob.

Ideally the straps will bring the item count down to one so I can collect 19 more loot items.

The straps could do the same for the Slayers, of course without the downtime that the Masteries have, just select one of the Slayers embedded in the straps and that one will be the active one...

Need to change it as if one was to unequip Slayer Book A and equip Slayer Book B ?

So you think this is going to have a menu.  I doubt they had time for that.

The game uses the book in hand because books have stats. Slayer books have different % and stats. Right now a book with spells has to be in hand or main pack. Lets hope this at least changes that.

Yall literally asked for a bag to hold books.  You should be more specific when you ask for things.

At the cost of a vet reward I do not see the value.
    edited February 2021
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    TimSt said:

So you think this is going to have a menu.  I doubt they had time for that.

The game uses the book in hand because books have stats. Slayer books have different % and stats. Right now a book with spells has to be in hand or main pack. Lets hope this at least changes that.

Yall literally asked for a bag to hold books.  You should be more specific when you ask for things.

If the straps are merely going to be a container that holds spellbooks, runebooks and Atlas Books on this we can surely agree.... I either do not see any value in spending a Veteran Reward for just an additional container that I will then have to keep open on my screen, further littering it with yet another image, along with my main backpack, in order to see the runebooks, Atlas Books and spellbooks contained in it that I need to pick, cast recalls or Gates on....

edited February 2021
    Just saying it would take a lot of programming to allow the satchel choose the book.  That is not how UO is coded.  

I would be happy if it is more advanced than I think it will be.

My main issue with "equip last weapon" is the weapon goes into a random spot and I have to find it after I die or make changes.  

We shall soon find out what it does!
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Theo said:
    FIrst off for runebooks you people need to start using Atlas's instead that hold 4x the runes.
    NO because like Rune Books you can only have 1 default set.  I carry 2 min Rune Books per char 1 for home and 1 for Luna and use Recall/Sacred Journey spell and target rune book depending where I am going.  You cant do that if everything is in an Atlas.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    I wish it were an item that you could lock down in your house. That held up to 300 spell books, and took up 1 lockdown! THAT would be a vet reward worth spending a pick on. As it is, I'm not so sure.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    KHAN said:
    I wish it were an item that you could lock down in your house. That held up to 300 spell books, and took up 1 lockdown! THAT would be a vet reward worth spending a pick on. As it is, I'm not so sure.
    LOL  I have at least 3 full chests of old rune books and 2 of ones I use throughout the year.
    Bilbo said:
    Theo said:
    NO because like Rune Books you can only have 1 default set.  I carry 2 min Rune Books per char 1 for home and 1 for Luna and use Recall/Sacred Journey spell and target rune book depending where I am going.  You cant do that if everything is in an Atlas.

You can have one set to default in Atlas and when you open it you can have another set to current.  So recall hit book for default.  Open book click 'recall or Sacred button' for the current one.  Problem solved. 

Ok carry two atlas.  Not 5 rune books like some of the pics here.  

And Popps?  It has a menu. Use it.  I've never seen anyone complain as much as you. Do you have any fun in game? At all?  You must live a very miserable life since even rune books don't work for you. 
    Theo said:
    Bilbo said:
    Theo said:

You can have one set to default in Atlas and when you open it you can have another set to current.  So recall hit book for default.  Open book click 'recall or Sacred button' for the current one.  Problem solved. 

Ok carry two atlas.  Not 5 rune books like some of the pics here.  

And Popps?  It has a menu. Use it.  I've never seen anyone complain as much as you. Do you have any fun in game? At all?  You must live a very miserable life since even rune books don't work for you. 
    You can have one set to default in Atlas and when you open it you can have another set to current.
    Once one has to open the Atlas book and "change" the default rune to a different one, the book looses its advantage....

By having different Rune Books with different default runes, instead, one can quickly cast Recall/Gate/Sacred Journey on each and any of those books and, "on the fly", so get to whatever that Book has recorded as default rune location....

Having to open the Atlas book, change the default would be pointless, at that point, once one has opened the Atlas book, they can use the internal Recall/Gate/Sacred Journey command but, this takes an additional step which it is having to open the Atlas book.... something, which is not necessary having multiple Rube Books in one's own backpack with multiple default rune locations...

But as I said, with some coding this could be dealt with, permitting a single Atlas Book to have multiple default locations that players could associate to their keyboard keys.... this way, the player would cast Recall/Gate/Sacred Journey, hit whatever keyboard key is associated to any of the multiple default rune locations in that Atlas book that they want to reach, and they would get there with no need to have to open the Atlas book.....
    I've never seen anyone complain as much as you.
    It is not complaining at all. It is always looking for ways to improve something.... if mankind did not possess this drive for wanting to better things, I guess that mankind would now be still living in its stone age.....

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    edited February 2021
    KHAN said:
    Good question! What will be the container max items (assuming 125 but who knows). 

I will see what finally shakes out from this but if they stay as a vet pick, I will probably only get 1 and just lock that down in my house to store my 100+ invasion spellbooks. That being the case, I hope they put some kind of sorting or grouping thing so it's not like looking at rings / bracelets in a jewelry box to find the right book I want to use.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited February 2021
    Theo said:
    Bilbo said:
    Theo said:

You can have one set to default in Atlas and when you open it you can have another set to current.  So recall hit book for default.  Open book click 'recall or Sacred button' for the current one.  Problem solved. NOT You are adding steps and I am fully aware how a Atlas works

Ok carry two atlas.  Not 5 rune books like some of the pics here.  READING COMPREHENSION 

Did I say I carry 5 rune books no I did not I said I carry 2 TWO rune books that have 2 different default locations so I would still need TWO Atlas to do the same.  All my other runes for mining/hunting/gathering/dungeons and everything else are in Atlases in a chest so all my chars can grab and go do their thing and then return them to chest for other chars to use.
  • OdessaOdessa Posts: 5
    There is NO WAY I'm spending a VET Reward on a Book Strap! Nope Not Happening!
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    My sdi mage has 13+ spellbooks a vet reward pick was well worth it 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way...