New quest-type system for New Legacy would make more sense on the production shards

See newsletter here:
The quote I refer to is:
[In Ultima Online: New Legacy we have reworked the way we introduce content into the game world.  Our goal is to make every action feel as though it serves a broader purpose in pursuit of your character's goals.  Completing objectives - whether it be in service to a farmer whose livestock have been terrorized by wolves or to a wealthy noble who has tasked you with recovering a valuable treasure - will become the chapters in your New Legacy!]

As described this new system seeks to assign meaning to actions we'd undertake anyway. I only can assume this will be done by something like an expanded quest system.

Such a system, which appears to mirror requests made by myself and others for some years now, would make a lot more sense on the production shards. This is for the simple reason that those shards are permanent -- the New Legacy shard is designed to be ephemeral. It will time out and restart every year or so.

The stated goal of the system is: "to make every action feel as though it serves a broader purpose in pursuit of your character's goals."  How does this make more sense in an ephemeral environment than it does in a permanent one, where characters have been built up over time and where legacies can fall or last depending upon the characters' actions? On the "New Legacy" shard, despite the name, one's legacy will eventually time out by design.

I have another post where I explain why another "New Legacy" system actually makes more sense on the production shards (and where half of that new system likely is more problematic than it sounds).

I had assumed that the days of new systems in this game mostly were over. I was fine with this as long as we had a steady stream of content and stuff to do. With the streamlining of the content system it looked like this was happening and I was quite hopeful. Now it turns out that there were new systems being developed but they were developed for a shard that by design was ephemeral.

This seems....Odd to me.

Comments

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Some few posts removed. Please stay topical.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    @JohnKnighthawke

What is the point of the discussion that you want to start then ?

You want to know why are they working for a dynamic system for a server where gameplay will only last sometime and then reset and why they are not doing it for the regular, production Shards?

Well, it was tried at UO's start but, to my understanding, players' behaviour made it not feasible...

There are readings about all this on the net that can be very enlightening on this topic.

I am not sure why these readings are considered not on topic, to me they look they are.
  • I mean it was stated in the announcement video that many features developed for New Legacy will also be implemented on Live shards. So just wait and see what makes it way to live before whining new legacy is a good testing grounds for features like these.
  • popps said:
    @ JohnKnighthawke

What is the point of the discussion that you want to start then ?

You want to know why are they working for a dynamic system for a server where gameplay will only last sometime and then reset and why they are not doing it for the regular, production Shards?

Well, it was tried at UO's start but, to my understanding, players' behaviour made it not feasible...

There are readings about all this on the net that can be very enlightening on this topic.

I am not sure why these readings are considered not on topic, to me they look they are.
    For anyone who might legitimately misunderstand this, my concern, rather clearly, has nothing to do with "dynamic content" the way you defined it earlier, which is changing stuff in-game on the basis of character actions. Rather I was speaking of what was described in the newsletter: A quest-style system wherein in-game content assigns meaning to in-game actions. (Example: Not just killing raiders to kill raiders, but because there is a bounty on raider heads.)

You have a separate concern. That's fine. But it's rather clearly related only tangentially to mine.
  • I mean it was stated in the announcement video that many features developed for New Legacy will also be implemented on Live shards. So just wait and see what makes it way to live before whining new legacy is a good testing grounds for features like these.

[producing or emitting a prolonged, high-pitched sound : producing a whine]
    [complaining or inclined to complain in a childish or petulant manner]

It's clear from your word usage that you have your personal definition of this word which has nothing to do with the standard English definition because nothing in my post fits either definition. However by your personal definition, here is you "whining" about one of the city trade deals.
    And something about castle customization.
    *shrugs*

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I think they are referring to "rewards" that can be transferred out of Legacy. So if you saved a little girl from wolf, maybe will get medal which can then be pinned on some wooden board for display in home
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs

[producing or emitting a prolonged, high-pitched sound : producing a whine]
    [complaining or inclined to complain in a childish or petulant manner]

It's clear from your word usage that you have your personal definition of this word which has nothing to do with the standard English definition because nothing in my post fits either definition. However by your personal definition, here is you "whining" about one of the city trade deals.
    And something about castle customization.
    *shrugs*

I mean looking up people's post history is a pretty childish thing to do wouldn't you say? So I would say what I posted is accurate.

I am not going to go back and read what I wrote but if I recall it is that all trade buffs outside of 2 are useless and offer no variety. and that tiles in the customized castles hidden behind stairs / walls do not match the rest of the floor and you cannot alter them. Both of which are facts and should be addressed.

You come here whining that features of New Legacy would be better suited for Live Shards when it was already stated by the developers that features would be implemented on live shards.  So quit with your doom and gloom and wait quit being a whiny brat.

• I mean looking up people's post history is a pretty childish thing to do wouldn't you say? So I would say what I posted is accurate.

I am not going to go back and read what I wrote but if I recall it is that all trade buffs outside of 2 are useless and offer no variety. and that tiles in the customized castles hidden behind stairs / walls do not match the rest of the floor and you cannot alter them. Both of which are facts and should be addressed.

You come here whining that features of New Legacy would be better suited for Live Shards when it was already stated by the developers that features would be implemented on live shards.  So quit with your doom and gloom and wait quit being a whiny brat.

Insults are cute and all, here in public and in private messages, but if you're not willing to stand behind what you have said (and suggesting that reading what you wrote is somehow "petty" to me suggests quite mightily that you're ashamed somehow), you should not have said it. If my suggestions and complaints, soberly articulated, are "whining," then your complaints and suggestions, also soberly articulated, also are "whining."

I, however, don't think either of us were whining. Your previous posts are nothing to be ashamed of.
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    Until we know more about what the new system is, I think it's pretty hard to assume anything and how it is going to impact the production shard. There is just too little information for us to comment on at the moment.