loot guide

I wrote a generic loot guide to sort of help returning players and vets alike identify some of the high value items that pvpers look for, so people have a bit better idea when sorting their loot. I will be the first to admit this is a VERY basic generic guide, but it gets people pointed in the right direction, feel free to make additions. A couple friends wanted me to post this so they have somewhere to point returning players when all this new 'legendary' stuff confuses them.

Ni'kards loot guide ;

Jewelry :

Prized or CLEAN
10SSI + 1 of the following [HCI, DCI, EP, DI, INT/STR/DEX]
18SDI + 1 of the following [MR, LRC, SKILL]

Antique -

HCI or DCI+ EP + 4 of the following [DCI,HCI, SSI, SKILL, DI, INT/DEX/STR, FC, FCR, MR]

Weapons ;

Prized or CLEAN
     20+ Splinter + 2 of the following [Hitspell, HLD, HLA, ReactivePara, Spell channnel]

ALL OTHER WEAPONS ARE TRASH.

Armor ;

ANTIQUE = TRASH
BRITTLE = GOOD
CLEAN = GOOD
PRIZED = GOOD

15+ Stats + RESISTS + 2 of the following [MR, HPR, EATERS, HCI, DCI, LUCK](edited)
This is a generic guide, there can always be exceptions!

Comments

• NikardNikard Posts: 164
    I did not see the really good post that was on 'announcements' before I posted this. His write up is more detailed and I would recommend using that
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    edited August 2020
    Nikard said:
    I wrote a generic loot guide to sort of help returning players and vets alike identify some of the high value items that pvpers look for, so people have a bit better idea when sorting their loot. I will be the first to admit this is a VERY basic generic guide, but it gets people pointed in the right direction, feel free to make additions. A couple friends wanted me to post this so they have somewhere to point returning players when all this new 'legendary' stuff confuses them.

Ni'kards loot guide ;

Jewelry :

Prized or CLEAN
    10SSI + 1 of the following [HCI, DCI, EP, DI, INT/STR/DEX]
    18SDI + 1 of the following [MR, LRC, SKILL]

Antique -

HCI or DCI+ EP + 4 of the following [DCI,HCI, SSI, SKILL, DI, INT/DEX/STR, FC, FCR, MR]

Weapons ;

Prized or CLEAN
         20+ Splinter + 2 of the following [Hitspell, HLD, HLA, ReactivePara, Spell channnel]

Armor ;

ANTIQUE = TRASH
    BRITTLE = GOOD
    CLEAN = GOOD
    PRIZED = GOOD

15+ Stats + RESISTS + 2 of the following [MR, HPR, EATERS, HCI, DCI, LUCK](edited)
    This is a generic guide, there can always be exceptions!

Wow, that is some final statement....

Aside from 20+ splintering no other weapon can save itself from the trashbin or the unravel hammer ?

Wow.

Care to elaborate a bit more why 99% (maybe more) of the Weapons that spawn in Ultima Online are to be considered as Trash or to unravel ?

And only if Prized or Clean, mind you, not even as Brittle ? Wow.....

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,041
    popps said:

Care to elaborate a bit more why 99% (maybe more) of the Weapons that spawn in Ultima Online are to be considered as Trash or to unravel ?

Do you ever play?  It takes very little looting to see that weapons are horrible loot.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    @Nikard - Very good start to a list! Thank you!

I'd agree with a majority of this and want to point out that this list is stuff PvPers are typically looking for. There will be more (or different) items that will work for PvM but not PvP (ie splinter weapons). 
    edited August 2020
    Pawain said:
    popps said:

Do you ever play?  It takes very little looting to see that weapons are horrible loot.
    So, you are telling me, that the DEVELOPERS have Weapons be, roughly, 50% of what drops on a corpse (or maybe more ? (Did anyone ever made an estimate at some point on whether more Weapons drop as Armor on a Corpse ?), and that they do nothing to fix all of these spawned Weapons, well, 99% of these Weapons, to be items which players now have no use for, can do nothing with them other then unravel?

Yeah right....

How much sense does it make that those in charge for taking care of what spawns or not in the game would see all of these Weapons be generated and spawned as loot but about which players would have no use for ?

If it was as you said, that is that all of these spawned items were of no use to players, wouldn't it have been then logical for the Developers to "change" the way that they are generated so that actually players "could" get them to use them ?

I do not see the point of generating items, and in such a large quantity (99%), that players have no use for in the game, other then unravelling them.

Perhaps the Developers see something which the players don't in regards to actual, possible use for these Weapons which players see as useless ?

To my opinion, it must be OR, the Developers would have changed these Weapons spawn long ago as I cannot possibly see as "beneficial" the spawning of items, especially Weapons, that players have no use for.

Again, what is the point of having the game code generate Weapons which, in 99% of the cases, players cannot use ? Shouldn't the game (and thus the Designers work towards this goal...) actually produce always items which players CAN make use of in the game unless they are intended to be only for Decorations ?

And this, particolarly with Weapons.... what good is a "Weapon" which a players' character cannot hold and use to fight with ?

At least, that is how I see it.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    @popps Weapons is where crafting really comes into the mix. All my fighting characters carry crafted weapons. What do I do with loot weapons? I unravel them to provide the resources I need to imbue the weapons I want. Unravelling is the only source of relic fragments, magical residue etc. Loot is source of items to unravel.

on the topic of splintering, I think either I'm missing the point, or it's mostly for use in pvp. I tried one once, the durability went down so fast I don't think I could have used it in pvm for more than a few minutes before it broke!
  • SoldahouseSoldahouse Posts: 129
    Thanks Nikard for the list. i dont understand part of it. when you say +1 of the following or +2 what is the # they should have. For example how much HCI, EP is it like i need 1 point in those? 
    "10SSI + 1 of the following [HCI, DCI, EP, DI, INT/STR/DEX]
     18SDI + 1 of the following [MR, LRC, SKILL]"   what is the # i need for all the following?
    edited August 2020
    @ popps Weapons is where crafting really comes into the mix. All my fighting characters carry crafted weapons. What do I do with loot weapons? I unravel them to provide the resources I need to imbue the weapons I want. Unravelling is the only source of relic fragments, magical residue etc. Loot is source of items to unravel.

on the topic of splintering, I think either I'm missing the point, or it's mostly for use in pvp. I tried one once, the durability went down so fast I don't think I could have used it in pvm for more than a few minutes before it broke!
    @Petra_Fyde , well, that is how it is, currently, since 99% of the looted Weapons are useless to players.....

I mean, to me, it is like players had to "work around" the current circumstances which produced to them Weapons which, for the most part (99%) they could not use.

But I cannot possibly think that this is the "intended" Development which the Developers wanted to have....

I mean, take for example the melee (or ranged) Weapons which dropped from the Town Invasion Generals.... the Developers took their time to Design and have them be generated and, yet, most players would drop them on the floor....

I am sorry, but I cannot possibly think that the Developers created them for players to simply discard them on the floor or to be used to unravel....

I think that here, and I would love @Kyronix or @Bleak to comment on it, please, there might be a disconnect in between what the Developers may think are good Weapons for players to want to use, and what are the actual Weapons which players WANT to have their characters to use....

I am convinced that, if players were to be able to explain which are the Weapons that they want to actually have their characters use, with what properties, then, rather then have the game generate Weapons which, in 99% of the cases players won't use, the Developers might have the game generate and spawn as loot Weapons which, actually, players WILL want to use with their characters.....

I would be very much surprised to learn that the Weapons which the Generals dropped at the Town Invasions where weapons only intended by the developers for players to unravel them or to discard them into the trash...

I need to think, unless told otherwise, that those Weapons were created because players would actually use them and, thus, they were Designed to be usefull in the game.... the circumstance instead that players found them useless, well, wouldn't this show that perhaps there is a disconnect in between what the Developers think players need as for Weapons in the game and what players think that they need as for Weapons in the game ?
    @Popps we have been telling you that crafting is relevant for a long time because of weapons.

Too bad you never listen to answers you get.  So now you want the devs to make weapons better so crafters have less impact?
    edited August 2020
    Pawain said:
    @ Popps we have been telling you that crafting is relevant for a long time because of weapons.

Too bad you never listen to answers you get.  So now you want the devs to make weapons better so crafters have less impact?
    How good is a system that produces crap loot (for weapons) so as that Crafters would have something to do in crafting the Weapons which loot does not provide ?

I think that BOTH ways should be alternatively valid in getting actual Weapos which players can use and want to use.

It makes no sense to me to Design crap Weapons as loot so that Crafters might have "something to craft"....

No thanks.

Weapons should be, to my opinion, EQUALLY good whether Crafted OR looted.

The balancing should be done elsewhere, for example, making the crafting process complex and time consuming (and not scriptable) so that crafted items would noot flood the economy.

But loot Weapons should definitively, as I see it, be items which players would want to use.
    What would be the point of killing anything in UO if we could make equal items?
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited August 2020
    Weapons are crap but some usable ones are detailed in the sticky thread. They are hard to find but its possible. 

Weapon arties are also quite crappy. I don't think any of them is useful. Maybe Boomstick.

Good armors are either legendary and selected arties. Even good legendary armor seem hard to find these days.

Today, my sampire has 3 crafted armor, 1 legendary, and 2 major arties for the 6 pieces armor set.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    Can we please block popps from posting in this thread? I think it's a semi-good thread for new/returning players with some helpful info and all he is doing is writing novels about how the game is messed up.

@popps ; - Please leave that out of this thread; go start a new one on it if you are so inclined but you are going to end up getting this thread locked like you typically do when you start debating people on how the game should be based on limited knowledge. Thanks.
  • NikardNikard Posts: 164
    Weapons are almost always bad because pvpers want splinter and pvmers need a minimum of 5 perfect mods [what you can imbue] with a slayer [which is RARE on legendary pieces.] As stated it was a generic guide, there will be exceptions to the rules.

@Soldahouse For sdi and ssi jewels the number doesnt matter because it can be imbued to the desired weight. Most legendaries its more of true/false because they are typically maxed out if the mod is present.

The intent of this was mostly to help returning players have a basic idea of what to look for, so they arent throwing away insane pieces and loading there houses with junk. Once they get a bag or so of mostly 'filtered' items, I would usually go help them price for their vendors and/or stratics. Once you walk someone thru a handful of times they can normally start to identify the valuables for themselves.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 511
    I saved this guide when you had reposted it in one of the Discords awhile back. It was a huge help then and I still refer back to it occasionally.