Hunting for a judge, and a tale of three Lord Blackthorne's Castles

RockRock Posts: 567
edited March 2018 in General Discussions
This post will meander.  You see, one of my characters on Origin, Golden Eagle (Mystic Archer), decided to add Forensics to his template.  UOGuide suggested training to 30 at NPC healer or judge. He stopped the first wandering healer he came to, and trained to 27.7.  "I should be able to do better than this", he thought. So he want to Felucca and found the Healer guildmaster in Britain. "Surely, she can teach me to 30." But alas, she could do no better. "I'll find a judge!"

So he went looking, figuring he might find one in Lord British's castle.  Didn't see one there.  "LB's been gone a long time.  Let's go check Lord Blackthorne's castle." So he did.  He couldn't find a judge, nor LB, nor LB. He did find steps leading down, which brought him to a dungeon I'd never heard of before.  Since he was fresh out of New Haven, fighting skills in very low 50s, I thought it would be a good idea to get another, more skilled, character to check out the dungeon.

So I woke up Dudley Bash (Samurai macer & healer, skills mid-60s) and sent him. It turned out to be a perfect dungeon for him.  He could usually fight one mage at a time, and even a senior mage or two.  He even added a few lvl 5&6 scrolls to his spellbook. Good source of regs, but Dudley don't really need no stinkin' regs so he'll give them to magical players. Having his Healing and Anatomy above 60 was very useful when they kept trying to poison him. He wandered deeper and saw a gold elemental that might have been guarding a jail.  Dudley figured it might not be wise to face that elemental somewhat deep in a dungeon by himself.  So he left and found an inn, and I decided to bring in an even more advanced character.

This time it was Weaver (Paladin Macer and Spellweaver) on Atlantic.  He recalled to Trammel Britain and went to Lord Blackthorne's castle there.  It was bigger and more elegant than the one my guys on Origin had been in.  But the layout was completely different, and he could not find the dungeon.  He found Lord Blackthorne and a Time Lord, though, but neither would talk to him.  I went here to post and find out why they were different, and I realized my guys had been to Felucca Britain on Origin and Trammel Britain on Atlantic.  So I stopped writing this post, and sent Weaver off to Felucca.

Ah-hah!  This time the castle was like I remembered.  Less grand, and dungier, but had a dungeon!  So Felucca is where it's at! He left, and I went back and continued this post.

Where can Golden Eagle find a judge?
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    Rock said:
    Where can Golden Eagle find a judge?
    Maybe by the prison outside of Yew?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,983Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Did you try the healers in Haven? They're just behind the bank.
    the list on this page https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/skill-titles-order/ gives
    Bloodletter, Healer(Shopkeeper), Healer(Wandering), Healer Guildmaster, Judge, Fortune Teller

• ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    There is a Blackthorns dungeon in Trammel as well.  Easiest way to get there is to go to a Corrupted Portal and say Dungeon Blackthorn or Fel Dungeon Blackthorn and it takes  you directly to the dungeon entrance.  
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    @Mariah, thank you for the link, and all the Ultima wiki links you have been providing.  You are obviously proud to share this uo.com online data with us, and with good reason.  If I might make one suggestion, though, it would be to add a search box to every page of the Wiki.  As it stands, one needs to go back to the Wiki top page to search for something, and I, for one, am lazy. Perhaps I am missing the obvious again.

@Margrette, I checked the Yew courts and prison. There was no judge.  There was a court clerk, a record keeper, and, at the prison, guards.  The judge(s) must be on a holiday.  IIRC, the guards were willing to train Mace Fighting and Wrestling, but no Forensics to be had.  As a side note, the room containing the secret passage to the T2A lands seems to be inaccessible.  And on the other end of where it used to go, one can no longer get back to civilized country.  The lighthouse beacon has been repaired, and that used to be the return path.  It is still a great hunting spot for wyverns. I have labeled my runes, "Lighthouse Lost".
    Rock, the screen shot below (taken on Baja) shows how I get to the room with the teleporter to go to the lighthouse.  You have to get to it from the outside and open the hidden door right at the corner of the building.  

@Margrett, that picture is excellent, thanks.  Now the problem is getting outside.  There appears to be no way to get to the outside of the prison island unless you get there by boat (or rune).  I followed all around the stone hallways and the prison itself.  My circle of transparency was on, and walked close to the outside walls, which should have revealed any hidden doors to the outside.  I found none. This really isn't important, but it bugs me that I forgot how I did it more than a dozen years ago.
    edited March 2018
    On Baja, you have to step onto the boat that is at the northeast corner of the front (courthouse) building and then teleport to the land that the prison is on.  (Step onto the boat by clicking on the open gangplank on the west side of the boat.) For some reason, on Baja there is no way to teleport onto the little island next to the boat.  On other shards, you can just teleport to the little island and then teleport to the land beyond it.

I think you may also be able to get outside the prison building via a secret door.  Will go and look to see if that's doable rather than having to use teleport spell to jump over water.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,347
    Does this help?

edited March 2018
    @Petra_Fyde, a video is worth 10,000 words.  Thank you.  I sure don't remember it being this complicated, either by teleporting as @Margrette suggests or lockpicking a prisoner's cell as you show.

My human character went to town and picked up 25 lockpicks, hoping that his human 20 JOAT points of Lockpicking would be sufficient.  It was not; they were soon all gone.  So he traversed back through the halls and got out of the structure.  Then he found the island Margrette mentioned.  This time, using his 20 JOAT points of Magery (27.5% chance of teleporting) he was able to port to the small island then to the larger prison island.  This was on Origin; there was no boat, but it was not necessary. He then found the hidden door into the storage room and was able to traverse through to the Lost Lands lighthouse.
    :) I swear, "RECDU"ing from Moonglow and traveling overland to the lighthouse is easier.

(add) ... Having just done it, on foot -- not that much easier.
    edited March 2018
    Coming back from the Yew Court and Prison complex, I found this:

Hovering the mouse over him, it shows his title as "Master of Guardians.  Clicking him to find out if he is buying or selling anything, the chat box displays:
    It's covered with treasure guardian's magical power.
    To touch it, you need to beat them!

Since my guys wasn't very advanced, and I don't like attacking friendlies, I let him be.  But what is he?

(Hmm, maybe he'll train Forensics if I do beat him!)

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,347
    I think he's probably left over from an EM event, but he's invul anyway, so you can't attack him.  If I remember right, and this is going back several years, not all the cells in the prison used to be locked, you just had to find the one that was open. That's gotten changed at some point.
    Sorry, Rock, I did check out the cells on Baja and had made a post with screen shots, but somehow I was logged out while making the post and it poofed and I had no time to make another.

However, I did find that on Baja, most of the jail cells doors could be opened with lock picking but I think only one of the hidden doors to that outside hallway could be opened so you could get to the hidden door that takes you outside the prison.  If I recall correctly, every other jail cell hidden door on Baja gave a message saying it couldn't be used. 

Margrette said:
    On Baja, you have to step onto the boat that is at the northeast corner of the front (courthouse) building and then teleport to the land that the prison is on.  (Step onto the boat by clicking on the open gangplank on the west side of the boat.) For some reason, on Baja there is no way to teleport onto the little island next to the boat.  ...
    I've been playing my senior Baja guys recently.  So today for the first time I saw the boat you are talking about, and used it as described.  That was Trammel.  Weirdly, on Baja Felucca, there is no boat, nor is it necessary.  You simply do as on the other shards, teleport to small island, and then the prison island.