Please critique this fisherman + treasure hunter build.

I have recently created a character to be a fisherman and treasure hunter.  He is a Gargoyle called
Muddy Buddy
- - - - - - - - - - -
110+: Magery, Eval Int.
100: Fishing, Cartography, Lock Picking
100: Resist Spells
  60: Remove Trap
  40: Meditation

80s / 40d / 110i

The "110+" specifies 120 skill via jewelry.  I know he is weak, with no effective defense, but I don't see how to fit in Anatomy.  And of course I'd like more Meditation, but at least he has his racial bonus of 2 MR.  How can this build be improved?

So far he has soloed several "stash" level treasure maps.  Learning the ropes, he died three times on the first one, but since then they have been easy.  (The main problem was he only had 60 STR, yielding only 80 HP.  That, combined with inexperience and the heat blasts did him in.  I've since trained STR to 80 for 10 more HP.)  He doesn't have the vet reward that provides coordinates for maps, but actually finding the chests has not been too bad.  His current skill levels are 68.3 Cartog, 88.0 Eval, 56.6 Fishing, 50.6 Lockpicking, 78.3 Magery, 73.8 Resist, 99.1 Med, and 43.3 Remove Trap.  On that problematic first TMap, he gained about 3.0 points of Remove Trap, so I really liked that.  :)

Is it true that 60 Remove Trap will be sufficient for high end chests, SOS, etc.?
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    @Rock, saw your post and added some additional RT info to the UO Guide t-map page.
    http://www.uoguide.com/Treasure_Map

As you can see from the table under the Remove Trap section, 60 Remove Trap will get you there, but on more difficult chests you're going to be taking a ton of damage, even with all 70's resist.

60 skill isn't bad though. You'd have 3 explosion cycles on each chest. I'd almost suggest 80 RT, just so you'd only have 1 exp per chest. If you don't mind dealing with the explosions though, no worries! 
    -Arroth
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,402
    Is running 100 remove trap zero explosions 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2020
    Skett said:
    Is running 100 remove trap zero explosions 
    It can be. Depends on when you perform the Remove Trap. 

If you use the skill so that it completes after the internal timer on the chest, you never get an explosion or an Ancient Guardian.

If you use RT and the first attempt completes before the internal timer on the chest, you will always get an explosion and an Ancient Guardian. If you use it again and the 2nd attempt also completes before the internal timer on the chest you may or may not get a 2nd explosion and Ancient Guardian. Same for 3rd, 4th, etc. attempts.  
    -Arroth