Several questions from a returning player

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. This may be a little long. Never thought I'd feel like such a newbie in a game I've played so long.

I left the game when they were introducing the new 3-D client. The graphics were really awful and I decided to leave. I've tried other games though, like war craft, and nobody seems to have designed a game like UO the last decade.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good character build. I would like to be able to solo as much of the game as I can. I prefer melee, and I've stumbled across something called the sampire. However I don't know if the build is still effective. The date on it is like three years ago. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there for players that are basically brand-new.

I could use some help with what kind of gear I need to get, where to get it, and what kind of build to use. I'm also having a hell of a time finding skill scrolls. Luna is pretty dead these days. There are dozens of vendors with nothing on them at all.

I know I'm asking a lot, but after spending more time on the Internet then in the game, I'm not getting very far. For example, people say not to use plate mail anymore. They don't say why, nor do they say what to use instead. So I have no information.

My current character is 250 attributes/720 skill points.
115 swords, 115 parrying, 110 resist spells, 100 tactics, 105 healing, 100 anatomy, 70 chivalry, 30 focus

I know this is horribly outdated. I'm having serious trouble soloing Paragon Cyclops and Titans. Thanks for any help you can give me. And again, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Orion Ironwill
first and  sadly, the last member of GLV

Comments

• DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,733
    Welcome back, sorry cannot help with your questions do not play a sampire
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • SabbySabby Posts: 10
    edited March 2018
    Your not the only one. I also returned this week after being gone for 10 years. Tried to do UO forever the last month and couldnt go anywhere without being pked within 5 mins even with a brand new character with 50 skill so came back to baja this week. I feel like a newbie having to relearn everything over again with a weak ass tamer. After being used and killed today for a champ spawn now im not sure if its worth investing my time into the game.  :'(
  • DerajDeraj Posts: 85
    Hi Orion, the template you have isn't as outdated as you might think. I would recommend dropping focus and diverting that all into chivalry. While a sampire is the best template in terms of soloing ability, the classic paladin template that you have also does very well and is better in my opinion for starting or returning players because it requires less investment to get going.
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    Welcome back to you both.  The Sampire is still relevant.  I never made one myself, however.  You just have to find on expert on your shard who can show you the ropes.  What shard do you play Orion?  Sorry to hear about what happened with the Champ spawn Sabby.  I play Pacific myself and if either of you decide to come visit us on Pac, I'll do my best to help you get settled in.  Also, if you do visit, hope in the General Chat Channel on Global and ask for Lunk.  He helps put together suits for new and returning players.
  • Sable said:
    Welcome back to you both.  The Sampire is still relevant.  I never made one myself, however.  You just have to find on expert on your shard who can show you the ropes.  What shard do you play Orion?  Sorry to hear about what happened with the Champ spawn Sabby.  I play Pacific myself and if either of you decide to come visit us on Pac, I'll do my best to help you get settled in.  Also, if you do visit, hope in the General Chat Channel on Global and ask for Lunk.  He helps put together suits for new and returning players.
    I am on Great Lakes. Any advice on finding power scrolls and primers? Also, what kind of equipment should I be using? There are so many options now! Thank you for the help!
    I know on Pacific, players usually put the word out for what they are looking for in the General Chat channel of Global Chat.  As for equipment, i'm the wrong person to answer.  My style of play is roleplaying so my characters basically use what they find, which makes for weak suits compared to the super suits that other players usually use.
  • Thank you for the help. Anybody have any other information?
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    edited March 2018

Hi Orion (and Sabby)

I would agree with Deraj, drop the focus and put the points into chiv. Chiv gets huge boosts from karma now.

For a basic set of armor/gear look for something that has 70 in all 5 elemental resistances, some stamina, mana, defense chance increase, hit chance increase, and swing speed increase.

For weapons, slayers with mana and life leech (and swing speed).

If you get high life leech weapons, with a high stamina and swing speed you can basically self heal with each hit. Like a sampire, but without any bushido or necro on your character.

Add in some mana on your suit and you can start to chain special moves for even more damage.

Faster Cast/Cast Recovery can be helpful if you want to use some of your chiv abilities while swinging away.

Have fun and welcome back to both of you!

You can also check this thread in Skills&Stats for more info about this exact template.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/441/weapon-shield-no-bush-warrior#latest

-Arroth
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 490
    Swordsmanship
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Chivalry
    Parrying
    Bushido

Set a Macro to use the Virtue Honor and use it on everything you fight.

Start with Undead in Old Haven.  Once you're about 65-70 skill, go to Ettins south of New Haven.  Once you're about 80 skill in everything go to Earth Eles in the mine to the east of the ettins.  The earth eles will take you to 100 in everything on this template.  Around 90 in all skills listed you can start on the paragons you're trying to fight.  

You can also go into Blackthorns Dungeon anytime you're ready for Earth Eles.  They have a spawn down there too and you get a chance at those drops for currency.  By the time you reach GM in these skills you should have gold to start buying some Powerscrolls.  You can also lure Gold Elementals and start squirelling a gold ore pile.  If you're lucky someone will come down and smelt them for you or you can train up a miner yourself and get a fire beetle from New Magincia vendors.

The gold ingots are great for cleanup points and you can sell cleanup point rewards.  Each minor artifact that drops in the dungeon sells for about 100k on Atlantic.  The cleanup rewards sell well too.

The first powerscroll you want is whatever Mastery looks best to you.  Mastery uses REAL skill and not gems.  So it's best to train that skill to 120.  Use gems to boost the others.  An imbuer can make you some good gems real easy.

You can solo a lot with this.  I like Balrons and Succubus.  It's a good money maker for a new player.

You're going to want at least 100 Dex.  Once you get melee skills up, you get a mana cost reduction passively.  So Int isn't as important.

While on New Haven and before fighting Gold Elementals you're going to want to try and get 70 Phys resist.  Then try to get all 70s in every resist. (75 in Energy if you're character is an elf.)  Swing Speed Increase is good, Damage Increase is good, and Defense Chance Increase is good.   
    Use UO Guide to figure out what to cast while training.  I usually stop Chiv around 80 and put another 20 real skill in Bushido.

The bonus to this build is that once you get some soulstones you can easily convert it to a Sampire if you desire.  I personally despise that you have to go Sampire in this game for melee templates.  Archers are another great conversion for this template.

Plate doesn't matter anymore because resists are all separate stats.  You can get a Leather gear piece with more physical resist than Plate.
  • Awesome, thank you both. That is very helpful. At least now I know where to begin again. Thanks for taking the time to explain this stuff.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    edited March 2018

Keep in mind though that armors provide some protection against stamina loss and can grant lower mana cost modifiers.

Just depends on the type of armor you want to wear (what stats you want) or what you feel comfortable playing. 

-Arroth
  • I like the plate mail look :)

• Thank you so much for the help, I went and bought some gear that gave me 70s on all my stats and now I can just destroy Titans. Thanks again, I had no idea what I was doing wrong.
  • SabbySabby Posts: 10
    Sable said:
    I know on Pacific, players usually put the word out for what they are looking for in the General Chat channel of Global Chat.  As for equipment, i'm the wrong person to answer.  My style of play is roleplaying so my characters basically use what they find, which makes for weak suits compared to the super suits that other players usually use.
    Thats awesome that their are some people who still try to help! I wish more people would consider returning or new players that are still learning to play all over again before ruining their gameplay. I might take the offer of going to pac or transfer, but waiting to see how it goes. 
    Sabby said:
    Sable said:
    Thats awesome that their are some people who still try to help! I wish more people would consider returning or new players that are still learning to play all over again before ruining their gameplay. I might take the offer of going to pac or transfer, but waiting to see how it goes. 
    If you do come visit Pac, ask for Lunk in General Chat.  He loves putting together suits for new and returning players.  HoFD is also a good active guild that loves helping new and returning players.  The guildmaster has been on her Evelyn character alot lately, so you can ask for her as well.  As for me, I play a bunch of different characters, but when I'm in-game, in I'm General Chat as well.  Just ask for Sable and if I'm on, I'll respond.
    If you get a suit made for you, very little loot will seem attractive to you until much later in the game.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Feigr said:
    If you get a suit made for you, very little loot will seem attractive to you until much later in the game.

That was fine in '97 - '00.  Its 20 years later now.

When they open their first vendor backpack they will see they are way behind the curve.

We take them to ilsh spawns and give them a beetle to grab the gold at the end.  They love it!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    They may love it, once or twice... Then it's just them hanging out in a full suit someone just handed them and picking up gold that is almost worthless.