Is there anything wrong with the character name "Wiz Writer"?

RockRock Posts: 567
edited March 2018 in General Discussions
The other day I created a female elf mage/scribe and named her "Wiz Writer".  I logged her in today, and her name had been changed to "Gwestiel" in the character selector gump and her paperdoll. That sounds more Elvsh, I suppose, but why did it happen?  Google doesn't show that as some trademark.  I don't know of any objectionable slang. She is a mage and scribe, Wiz Writer.  What is wrong with that?

Perhaps relevant, when I logged her in, my GUI normal setup (enhanced client) had been altered.  No map, the hotbars were back in their original positions and with no spells or anything in the boxes. And her paperdoll had been moved from the bottom right corner. I suppose it could have been some random garble due to a wonky logoff, but the character name "Gestiel" seems too elvish.  Also, her skills all seemed about right for a new character who had completed all her newbie quests in New Haven. I believe before today she had only been logged in once, for her creation and newbie quests in New Haven.
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• RockRock Posts: 567
    edited March 2018
    ??? After logging out to check another character, her name is back to Wiz Writer.  After relogging her in, the GUI is back set up the way I originally left it, with the hotbars filled in with appropriate spells and actions. I see that the Incognito spell has been assigned to the hotbar, so it is possible I logged her out in that state.  However, that would not explain the GUI being reset more or less to defaults.

Weird!
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    Any chance you cast Polymorph?  I may be mistaken, but if you choose the male or female options, I think it assigns you a random name.
    Yes, it is likely she had cast Incognito.

We must have posted at same time. :)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Well darn.  I had a really nice answer in my head.

Incognito changes your name not polymorph.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain, I knew what she meant.  It is likely years since she was using Incognito as a 5th level training spell.

At any rate, there is a repeatable bug, at least with the enhanced client.
    1. cast Incognito.  Note your temporary name.
    2. log out.
    3. begin relogging in.  Note the Character Select gump shows the temporary name of your mage.
    4. complete the relog.  Note that your GUI is gone, reset to new character defaults.
    5. wait for Incognito to time out
    6. relog that character, noting the the Character Select gump now is using actual name
    7. once back in, note that your GUI is back to how you had it set up

I tried this with both very new and a very old (like 18 years) characters.  The behavior is the same with both. The title bar of my version reads:

Ultima Online Stygian Abyss Client - Copyright 2009 Electronic Arts (Mar 14 2018 01:04:12)

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    How would you know she meant a different spell?  I actually tried polymorph to check it.

Incognito messes up your GUI in CC all the time.  Thats why I did not try it to confirm the name change. It is a fun spell but I hate resetting stuff.  I have always turned it off before logging so I have no experience with that.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    That's because your GUI is selected from a folder on your hard drive that shares the name of your character.  You now also have a folder named Gwestiel because you logged in with a character with that name, albeit temporary.

It's the same reason that if you create 2 characters with the same name on the same shard, they also share a GUI.  Change one, and you change both.
    Dizzy, thank you for the clear explanation.  I did not even know one could create two characters on the same shard with the same name. :)
    Pawain, I don't "know", but I'm reasonably sure she made the same sort of mistake I sometimes do.  Both Polymorph and Incognito are mage spells that change how one looks.  It is easy to confuse them when making a quick forum post.