Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement Talisman (Inscription BOD Reward) : WHAT GIVES ??

poppspopps Posts: 3,961
edited August 2019 in General Discussions
@Bleak , @Kyronix

I understand that, with Publishes 95 and 96 ( https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/publish-notes/publish-95/ and https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/publish-notes/publish-96/ ) the "Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement Talisman" was added, for 500 points, as a Reward to Inscription Bulk Order Deeds ( https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/inscription/inscription-bulk-orders/ ).

YET, at least from reading up Threads and Posts on the topic like this one https://stratics.com/threads/guaranteed-spellbook-improvement-talisman.379943/ , I seem to understand that there is not much of an improvement from using this quite hard to get Talisman.... players trying to craft Inscription items with it, did not notice any "guaranteed" improvement in getting extra MODs....

Is it bugged ? What is the deal with it ?

Furthermore, my understanding is, that in order to get a higher chance at crafting a Spellbook or Scrappers Compendium with a higher number of magical properties and of higher intensities, is that the "Exceptional" modifier of the Talisman worn should be as high as possible....

Problem is, that th Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement Talisman takes "precisely" that Talisman slot so, it is "either" this one Talisman OR the Talisman with the Bonus for crafting Exceptional items.... cannot have both.... so, which one would need a Scribe to wear if he/she wanted to max out the number of magical properties and their intensities for a Spellbook or Scrappers Compendium ?

Bottom line question is, for a Scribe wanting to craft Spell Books (or Scrappers) carrying the Max number of MODs that they can possibly craft them with (for regular Mage Spellbooks it is 3 magical properties, not sure if Slayer would be a 4th or one of those 3... for Scrappers Compendium, instead, I am not sure whether the max number of properties is 4+1 or 5+3, anyone knows ?), what would be the most preferable "set up" and then hope that the RNG would be beneficial ?

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,961
    Further reading searches, yielded this page http://www.uoguide.com/Guaranteed_Spellbook_Improvement_Talisman where it is mentioned...

10 Uses at 100% Inscription yielded 5x 2 property books, 5x 1 property

Now, since spellbooks can come with a max of 3 magical properties (or is it 4 if one considers also the Slayer magical property which the RNG can possibly award... see my question thread here https://forum.uo.com/discussion/4801/inscription-what-is-the-max-number-of-properties-and-max-intensities-for-spellbooks-scrappers#latest ?), one would understand, from the above indication, that upon using 10 charges (at 100% Inscription skill) did NOT guarantee, in any of the 10 inscription attempts, any of the 3 (or is it 4 ?) maxed out Magical Properties that the Spellbooks could have been inscribed with....

So, how does this particular Talisman work exactly ? Anyone knows ?

Or is it just plainly "bugged" and not working as intended ?
    As a correction to the OP where at some point I mention

Furthermore, my understanding is, that in order to get a higher chance at crafting a Spellbook or Scrappers Compendium with a higher number of magical properties and of higher intensities, is that the "Exceptional" modifier of the Talisman worn should be as high as possible....
    Problem is, that th Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement Talisman takes "precisely" that Talisman slot so, it is "either" this one Talisman OR the Talisman with the Bonus for crafting Exceptional items.... cannot have both.... so, which one would need a Scribe to wear if he/she wanted to max out the number of magical properties and their intensities for a Spellbook or Scrappers Compendium ?
    Upon further reading, I realized that also the Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement Talismans do come with Exceptional and Regular % Bonuses like the regular crafting Talismans.... 

Question is, do those Bonuses on Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement Talismans come as "Random" in their % figures or are they always "set" in what this particular BPD Reward Talisman gets created with ?

And if they are created with these Bonuses as "random", within what MIN-MAX ranges can they come with ?

Is their MAX Bonus still 30% as with the other Talismans' Bonuses or are their minimum and maximum different to the regular Talismans ?

Bottom line is, I do not understand what the "Guaranteed" stands for, what it really thus, and whether it is currently working "as intended" or whether it may or not be bugged....
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Dude you are all over the place lately. You should stop for a while and just try to enjoy "some" aspect of the game, if you can.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    edited August 2019
    Dude you are all over the place lately. You should stop for a while and just try to enjoy "some" aspect of the game, if you can.
    I am, just trying to understand some things connected with my possibility to enjoy content... if I do not understand how certain content works, how can I fully enjoy it ?

For example, I am considering enjoying Inscription BODs and this particular Reward, yet, I am wondering, is it worth the time and effort it takes to get it ?

I'd rather know it "before" I actually spend time in UO to work for it.... if I do not like what it provides, then I'd rather spend my time in Ultima Online doing something else which I could more enjoy....

That is, I need to understand more precisely what this Talisman does and gives, before I want to spent time and efforts to get it...

I do not see anything wrong with this. Is there any ?
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    It's just my opinion, but I would rather see you make postings about how you yourself have tried out things and here's your perspective. Instead you're asking all of these questions of others and want THEM to test things out and then give you their input before you try it.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    edited August 2019
    It's just my opinion, but I would rather see you make postings about how you yourself have tried out things and here's your perspective. Instead you're asking all of these questions of others and want THEM to test things out and then give you their input before you try it.
    Well, for older content (Publish 95 dates back to 2016) one would assume that informations on how things work or do not work might already be out there that were found out over the years....

What is the point of researching/testing something that was already tested and researched by other players over the Years ?

So, I would imagine, that it would make sense to "first" check out if the information is already available because someone, over the Years, may already have found that out.... it does not make sense ?
  • First... The talisman isn't hard to get.  It's a easy large bod.

Second, it's a garunteed improvement so you don't waste materials on blanks.  It's an improvement not a magic make event level book pen.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,692
    I haven't been doing the inscription BODs for these talismans yet, just mainly for the natural dyes.
    but when I do go for the master craftsmans talismans, I always keep turning in the BODs until I get one of the higher % talismans. And with these, I would do the same. 

I personally wouldn't try with the lower % ones.

I have heard some got really good spellbooks by using this talisman. I don't remember what they got on the book, but I remember some of them calling it "impressive"